Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

I posted over in the board game design thread about a game that my wife and I have just completed the first print and play version of, and I thought I'd try running a pbp version of it on the forums if anyone is up for giving it a go.

We Stand Alone is a co-operative 2-4 player dice and card-based game in which intrepid and possibly doomed heroes try and stave off waves of enemies from destroying their precious town. The game has a strong emphasis on challenging players to work out the best possible outcome from limited resources, and on providing multiple options to achieve the same or similar outcome. Despite being dice-based, luck is minimal and up-front - essentially player's options are somewhat randomised, but then they have total control over how they execute them.

Players engage monsters and use dice to activate abilities. They have a limited number of rerolls, introducing an element of 'push-your-luck' gameplay since more powerful abilities cost more dice to use and therefore require more specific combinations, whereas less powerful abilities are easier to trigger but are less effective. Over the course of the game, players can use experience gained from killing monsters to buy more dice or new abilities. Players also have to balance using dice to buy new items and make their characters more powerful, or dealing with the immediate threat in front of them.

Players are also able to set aside dice to use for 'react' abilities which can be used during other players' turns, or as 'assist' dice which other players can use to trigger their own abilities, introducing ways that players can remain engaged and active even when it's not their turn.

SilverMike has indicated in the design thread that he'd be willing to playtest so I'm looking for 2-3 other people who are interested in trying it out! It'll be fun, I promise (maybe) :)

If you're interested, have a look at the rules here and just post in this thread as well with which character you would like to play - these are the four classes available at the moment and the description of them are as follows:

The Penitent is mostly a tanky class, with various abilities enabling her to boost her defence, engage extra enemies and stay alive through self-healing. She has very little/nothing in the way of ranged attacks so is reliant on being able to engage enemies, but can do fairly decent damage to engaged enemies.

The Houndmaster relies on effective use of his hound token to do good damage, and has a lot of flexibility to where/how he damages enemies if he uses this well. Sort of a hybrid class, he can also take a bit more of a beating than the other two classes.

The Witch Hunter is primarily a damage class, but is very weak against enemies engaged with him - and so is reliant on good timing of ability use or other players to ensure that he doesn't end up with too many enemies. He has good single target and multiple target damage.

The Sun-Touched is a sort of utility mage. She has a range of heals and various control abilities, but can also do extremely high single target damage at the cost of damaging herself in the process. Balancing damaging and healing becomes important so that she doesn't end up too weakened to stay in the fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
Let's have one more go at this. Here's a picture of a game in progress to give a sense of what it looks like:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I would be interested in trying this out. I love dogs, so The Houndmaster looks appealing. You might also want to post a link in the Game Recruitment Thread

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Thanks, that's a good point - I've posted there now.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Sounds neat, I'll roll with Penitent

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Alright, we're good to go then! GTR begins the game by drawing a card and adding it to the tunnels, resulting in the following initial setup:

Tunnels
Surge: 1/6

Current Player: GTR

Engaged Enemies

Shrike 0/5

Damage:
0/10
XP: 0
Dice: 5

Player 2: Opopanax

Engaged Enemies
None

Damage:
0/12

Player 3: SilverMike

Engaged Enemies

Skitterling 0/3

Damage:
0/8

Player 4: MTV Crib Death

Engaged Enemies

Bhacthasa Herald 0/5

Damage:
0/10

Shrike attacks GTR! Decide whether or not to block

Action Queue: GTR to decide whether or not to block Shrike attack, then roll dice and take actions.

When taking your turn, please format in the following way:

quote:

Initial Roll: 4, 2, 3, 6, 4
Final Roll: 4, 4, 6, 6, 1 (you don't need to wait for me between the initial roll and rerolls, though obviously you might want to discuss with each other which dice to keep and which to reroll)

Actions:

Flay: 6, Skitterling engaged with SilverMike
Dawn's Guidance: 4
Brand: 1, Herald on me
Assist: 4

Kerro fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 5, 2016

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

I'll try the Witch Hunter but I'm at a con tomorrow so I probably won't check in again until Monday morning.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

No problem, just message me once you're back and have chosen your starting skill card. If we get another player by then, great, if not we'll start a 3 player game.

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012
I told my fat girlfriend I wanted to bang skinny chicks and now I'm wondering why my relationship is garbage.
I'd be happy to play Sun Touched. As long as you don't mind someone whose experience with card games is MtG and the Pokemon TCG, like, 15 years ago.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

No worries, the rules are actually pretty straightforward and we've played this game with a few nearly non-gamers who have been able to pick it up fine. Most of the complexity comes from deciding which skills to implement, in which order - which also is fairly straightforward at the start of the game when you have fewer options available.

I've just sent you the starting skill cards to choose from - once you've selected your starting card we'll get started.

Also, I realise one of the rules we've added is not yet in the rule book so I'll explain it here - it's just a pacing mechanism we added that seems to help a lot in certain games.

quote:

During setup, place a single die next to the enemy deck set to '1'. This is the 'surge die'.

Before the 'Draw a card' step of the Enemies Phase, check to see if the current player has any enemies engaged with them. If they do not, increase the 'surge die' by 1.

If the surge die was already on 6 and you were required to increase it, set it back to 1 and immediately draw a new enemy card and add it to the tunnels, closest to the enemy deck.

Unless there's any objections I'll just do player order based on the order in which people replied in this thread, so GTR, then Opopanax, then SilverMike, then MTV Crib Death.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Works for me.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Alright, we're good to go then! GTR begins the game.

Surge increases by 1 (because GTR had no enemies engaged with him at the start of the turn)
GTR draws a card Shrike is added to the tunnels, previous Shrike engages GTR

Tunnels
Surge: 2/6

Current Player: GTR

Engaged Enemies

Shrike 0/5

Damage:
0/10

Engaged Enemies
None

Damage:
0/12

Engaged Enemies

Skitterling 0/3

Damage:
0/8

Engaged Enemies

Bhacthasa Herald 0/5

Damage:
0/10

Shrike attacks GTR! Decide whether or not to block

Action Queue: GTR to decide whether or not to block Shrike attack, then roll dice and take actions.

When taking your turn, please format in the following way:

quote:

Initial Roll: 4, 2, 3, 6, 4
Final Roll: 4, 4, 6, 6, 1 (you don't need to wait for me between the initial roll and rerolls, though obviously you might want to discuss with each other which dice to keep and which to reroll)

Actions:

Dawn's Guidance: 4
Brand: 1, Herald on me
Assist: 4

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Just a couple of tips as we're starting:

In general, it's better to take damage on players than on the objective because it is much easier to heal. It can be risky however leaving players for too long on only one or two hp remaining as there are some card effects that can damage players out of turn.

Also, enemies do way too much damage to be able to let them hit players consistently. A big part of being successful is around managing which players enemies are engaged with, since enemies only attack at the start of a player's turn - meaning it's possible to delay or entirely mitigate attacks through juggling who they are engaged with.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Block the Attack

Initial Roll: 4, 3, 5, 1, 3
Final Roll: 3,5,1,3 (kept) 1 (rerolled)

Actions:

3: Good Dog==> Shrike Engaged With Me
1: Savage==>Shrike Engaged With Me
1: Savage==>Shrike Engaged With Me
Gain 5 from Shrike
5,5: Take Healing Draught
3: Good Dog==> Herald Engaged With MTV Crib Death

This was a bit tricky, but I think giving myself a better 4 Action/Heal was worth killing the Shrike instead of swapping to/killing the Herald with misdirect. Putting Good Dog on it means it should be easy for it to be killed before it has a chance to attack MTV.

Also, just to confirm, did I get the sequence right?

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Yep, that sequence is just fine! Assuming that's the end of your turn, then it's now Opoponax's turn.

GTR takes 2 wounds from Shrike
Shrike is destroyed, all players gain 1xp
Tome of Mirrors becomes available

Then

Surge increases by 1
Opoponax draws a card. Shambler enters the tunnels, Crypt Wreck engages Opoponax. Opoponax takes 2 wounds.

Tunnels
Surge: 3/6
Objective 0/8

Engaged Enemies

Crypt Wreck 0/6

Damage:
2/12
XP: 1

Engaged Enemies

Skitterling 0/3

Damage:
0/8

Engaged Enemies

Bhacthasa Herald 0/5 (Good Dog)

Damage:
0/10

Player 1: GTR

Engaged Enemies

Damage:
2/10

Action Queue: Opopanax to decide whether or not to block attack, then roll dice and take actions.

Sorry about the horrible MSPaint job on the tunnels, I need to install a better image editor on my work computer but haven't done so yet.

Kerro fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 5, 2016

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Gravy Train Robber posted:

Also, just to confirm, did I get the sequence right?

Also, on the topic of sequencing - because you can execute the actions on your turn in any order you are also allowed (if applicable) to buy an item and use it on the same turn - i.e. if you'd had a 4 leftover after buying the Healing Draught you could use it to activate it.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Wouldn't I take 2 wounds? 3 attack, -1 armor? I'm a little unclear where the 5 damage came from and I think I may have misunderstood the rules.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

No you didn't, I just had the wrong numbers in my head. Thanks for the correction - I've found it's easy to miss things and either record them wrong or remember them wrong doing stuff in pbp games so please keep pointing it out when I get it wrong!

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Who's going to be the player on my left? Opopanax or MTV?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Initial Roll: 6,3,2,5,6

I'm a little unclear on items though. I'd like to take the Blade of Bone so what do I need to do?

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Pretty sure Blade of Bone costs 3 gold, so you need 3 5s to buy it. Since the 6s count are wild, you could spend the 5-6-6 to do it.

Edit: If you could set your 2 and 3 to assist me, I could avoid taking damage from the incoming Dredge by using Knockback Shot to make it engage someone else and then maybe finish it off depending on my rolls.

SilverMike fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Apr 5, 2016

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ah ok then.

Initial Roll: 6,3,2,5,6
Final Roll: 6,3,2,5,6

Actions:

6,6,5:Gold Buy Blade of Bone
2,3: Bring Them To Me - Engage all the jerks bothering my friends, which does 2dmg to everyone except the Crypt Wreck

Look right?

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

You need to figure out if you're blocking the incoming damage from the Crypt Wreck, but it looks right otherwise. Would be nice to put off the Dredge's 5 damage by juggling him using your 2-3 on my Knockback Shot though.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I can use your move?

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Not quite. There are an Assist and a Reserve pool you can set dice to. You can put 1 die in the Assist pool per turn, which lets someone else use it for anything they want. Anything beyond 1 can be put into the Reserve pool, where anyone else can use them for abilities with the React keyword. Since Knockback Shot has React, I figure I can use it as soon as I get engaged by the Dredge to make it engage someone else and avoid having it attack on my turn.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

What if I go with my plan but only draw the other two to me

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Looks like I might not have explained that clearly enough in the rules. You're mostly correct, but to clarify:

1) You can put a maximum of 1 die into the assist pool. This can be used by other players for regular and/or 'react' abilities
2) You can put any number of dice into the reserve pool. These can only be used by the player who put them there, and only on 'react' abilities

So you would not be able to use Opopanax's reserve dice to use knockback shot - you would need to use dice that you had saved to your reserve pool on a previous turn, or two separate dice from other players' assist pools.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Oh, my bad. Conflated the similar uses.

Opo: I'll be eating 5 no matter what happens here, so by all means engage the world and I'll see about Chain Shotting them into the ground.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Alright I'll go with Plan A then. Locked in

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

SilverMike posted:

Who's going to be the player on my left? Opopanax or MTV?

MTV - it's meant to be 'player next in turn order' basically.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

You didn't mention whether you were blocking the attack or not, but I'm assuming you were.

Opopanax takes 1 wound from Crypt Wreck
Opopanax engages Skitterling and Bhacthasa Herald. Skitterling takes 2 damage, Herald takes 4 (+2 from Good Dog). Hound token returns to GTR
Lucky Bangle becomes available

Then

Surge increases by 1
SilverMike draws a card. Shambler enters the tunnels, Dredge engages SilverMike.

Tunnels
Surge: 4/6
Objective 0/8

Engaged Enemies

Dredge 0/5

Damage:
0/8

Engaged Enemies

Damage:
0/10

Player 1: GTR

Engaged Enemies

Damage:
2/10

Engaged Enemies

Crypt Wreck 0/6
Skitterling 2/3
Bhacthasa Herald 4/5

Damage:
3/12

Action Queue: SilverMike to decide whether or not to block attack, then roll dice and take actions.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
It doesn't look like the tunnels image is getting updated, I'm a little unclear on whats happening up there. Also, randomly, does my misdirect allow me to swap monsters engaged with people with those currently in the tunnels, or do they not count as "in play"?

Edit: Also Good dog! Who's a good boy!

Gravy Train Robber fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Apr 5, 2016

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Try ctrl-f5, it's showing as updated for me. Once I get a proper graphics programme installed I'll get it sorted properly.

Also 'in play' refers to any enemies face up, so that includes the ones in the tunnels. 'any enemy 'can also include enemies in the tunnel. Useful for the Heralds :-)

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Kerro posted:

Try ctrl-f5, it's showing as updated for me. Once I get a proper graphics programme installed I'll get it sorted properly.

Also 'in play' refers to any enemies face up, so that includes the ones in the tunnels. 'any enemy 'can also include enemies in the tunnel. Useful for the Heralds :-)

:doh: Yeah, sorry, that was on my end.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

I'll block the Dredge and take 5 damage, putting me at 3 HP.

Rolled 1-1-4-4-5, so much for any of my fun abilities!

Actions:
1 for a Quick Shot on Opo's Skitterling, killing it for 0 XP.
1 for a Quick Shot on Opo's Bhacthasa Herald, killing it for 2 XP and Opo takes 5 damage from it exploding?
4 to heal myself up to 4 HP.

I'm thinking of slotting the 4 in my Assist so MTV or GTR can use it on healing and then using the 5 to toss out the Tome of Mirrors, anyone have a better idea? It's a little wasteful to ignore the 5, but I feel like the 4 is too strong to not pass on.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I'm happy to use the 4 to heal whoever is most banged up on my turn, unless something more pressing requires it.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Yeah that's correct, if you explode the herald then Opopo takes 5 since armor only mitigates enemy attacks, not abilities.

Let me know what you want to lock in.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
If I Attack the Flank on my next turn, and then misdirect a herald back into the tunnels, does the dog kill it and prevent the explosion damage from hitting anyone?

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Wait a sec, I'm being a little silly here. I forgot I was allowed two rerolls, so ignore my previous actions and I'll keep 1-1 reroll the 4-4-5.
Got 2-4-4, so I'll keep 1-1-2 and reroll the 4-4.
Got 2-2, 1-1-2-2-2 final dice.

Actions:
Assuming GTR's idea of Attack the Flank->Misdirect->have the dog kill the Herald without anyone taking damage works:
1 to Quick Shot Opo's Skitterling, killing it for 0 XP.
1 to Quick Shot Opo's Crypt Wreck, bringing it to 2/6 taken.
2 in my Assist Pool.
2-2 in my Reserve Pool.

Otherwise if GTR's plan isn't legal, I'll change the 2nd Quick Shot to get the Herald killed.

If someone could float a 3 to assist me before next turn so I could use Knockback Shot to deal with an incoming engage, I'd appreciate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Gravy Train Robber posted:

If I Attack the Flank on my next turn, and then misdirect a herald back into the tunnels, does the dog kill it and prevent the explosion damage from hitting anyone?

Yes, absolutely

• Locked thread