Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I went to a café one time where the tables were made of uneven, unfinished slabs of wood, the chairs were crates, the coffee was served in glasses and the wine was served in jars. Who looks at any of that and thinks "Yes, this is a good idea"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Tiggum posted:

I went to a café one time where the tables were made of uneven, unfinished slabs of wood, the chairs were crates, the coffee was served in glasses and the wine was served in jars. Who looks at any of that and thinks "Yes, this is a good idea"?

Hipsters and/or morons.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Hipsters and/or morons.

Wait those are separate beasts?

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Close. All hipsters are morons, but not all morons are hipsters.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Tiggum posted:

Sounds like my local Starbucks, except for the wine part.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
I'm sick of chips being served in miniature buckets with the rest of the meal on a wooden chopping board.
I can't remember the last time I went out and got food served on a plate.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Famous Dave's has a galvanized trash can lid full of enough food to feed a family, and that's the wackiest thing I've ever eaten off of, even though it's technically a giant serving platter and we [thankfully] just get the food onto our own ordinary dinner plates.

Eating food out of shoes and barbed wire and poo poo, though? That's just plain loving stupid.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
Here's an album. Shoes are either great delivery systems or not nearly as original as edgy hipsters imagine they are.

PK
Apr 30, 2004

EXFOLIATE! EXFOLIATE! EXFOLIATE!
Bone broth.

quote:

They say it makes your skin more radiant, alleviates joint pain, helps your liver and more. Until this point there were only a couple places that made it fresh locally, and none of them have it packaged up like Connor’s, to take home with you. The bones he use come from 100% organic, grass fed animals, and the story behind him discovering what some call “magical healing powers” is pretty great; it’s his heart that he puts into it that puts it over the top.

It's loving stock :argh:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Gonna open a restaurant, anyone know where I can get my hands on a stack of heavily used school cafeteria trays?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I've mostly seen this bullshit from my one Beach Body Coaching/Shakeology/Essential Oils shilling facebook friend, but it's so obnoxious I think it belongs here: "Bulletproof coffee", or more commonly written as "#bulletproof coffee". It's just coffee with oil and butter in it, which sounds disgusting enough, but of course it has to be starbucks coffee, some trendy butter called "ghee" (~grass fed~, naturally) and "Brain Octane oil", whatever the gently caress that is but I'm sure it costs like 20+ bucks an ounce. Why is it #bulletproof? Who wants buttery coffee? Why are suburban supermom types so obsessed with it?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Murphy Brownback posted:

some trendy butter called "ghee"

Ghee is a type of clarified butter. I have no idea if it would be good in coffee or not, but it's not just "trendy butter".

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
Butter tea is a Tibetan thing; butter coffee is probably delicious as well.

Here's the thing about highland areas: just being above certain elevations is hard on the body. You burn more calories not only due to the cold but also because your body is working harder to use what little oxygen it can glean from the air. If you are in a highland area and also doing strenuous work, I can see how a drink that is basically calories + water would be a real good idea.

It is unfortunate, then, that this is being marketed to suburban dads in middle America.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

Ghee is a type of clarified butter. I have no idea if it would be good in coffee or not, but it's not just "trendy butter".

I know what it is and where it comes from. It's "trendy" for the demographic that is using it in #bulletproof coffee. They describe it as "grass fed butter! totes amazeballs!", they don't know anything beyond that it is foreign and therefore mysterious and a cure-all to all our problems. That's what I meant - they aren't using it because they tried it on their trip to India, they are using it because it's the new "trendy" ingredient among 20-40 year old suburban moms just like acai berries etc used to be.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Laugh all you want rich assholes but Applebee's still uses plates!

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Ghee is pretty good on pop corn.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

I only eat hand-carved spelt & flax toast, lovingly slow-flamed over a chicory-smoke fire and spread with hand-churned Aberdeen Angus butter. You plebs.

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

DARPA Dad posted:

He is a water sommelier. That's a real profession now. He is also the author of a book titled "The World of Water," which is basically the water version of one of those wine or beer tasting books. But most notably he oversees the beverage program at Ray's and Stark Bar in Los Angeles. And by "beverages," I mean water. The menu is 45 loving pages long and is all water, sorted by country. Each entry on the menu includes the number of total dissolved solids and how much salt, magnesium and calcium is contained within that particular bottle of water.

Fascinating. Oh, and that bottle of Berg (:burger:) in the picture? That'll be $20, thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg3Mr6e1KMo

He calls the Berg water poo poo hahaha

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I'd be curious what he'd charge for that "100k bottle of water" if you take all the diamonds and gold off. You're really paying for a diamond encrusted bottle lid, but what would you even do with that? There are much nicer and easier to display things to encrust with diamonds if you really want to blow your money on that kind of thing.

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

You're not David Attenborough
The internet has a hate-on for the honest macaroon (and grandmas), and a slavish adoration for prissy little meringue sandwiches:

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

You're not David Attenborough

PK posted:

Bone broth.

http://www.hemsleyandhemsley.com/how-to-video-making-a-perfect-bone-broth/

Spoiler, if you don't want to spend 35 seconds watching the vid: Get a fresh bone. Boil in acidified water for 12 hours. Strain.

In the UK, we have a plague of healthfood gurus of the above type, recruited to sell the daydream that you can eat your way to beauty, rather than just boringly improving your health. They're all women, mostly in their twenties, all strikingly pretty and perfectly groomed, and not one of them is a qualified nutritionist because that's not the point. Their recipes usually swap obvious and cheap ingredients for pricy, hard-to--find ones for no good nutritional reason. I'm especially baffled by those who scorn the notion of porridge for breakfast, and suggest quinoa (both nastier and far more expensive) as an alternative.

Other things that bug me:

Sauerkraut. Fine if you like the stuff, but it's being peddled as some sort of health elixir, and there are whole blogs dedicated to it.
loving courgetti, or any other vegetable that's been spiralized, and alleged 'rice' made from cauliflower.

NESguerilla posted:

Anyone who loves hating on this stuff will probably enjoy this blog post.

http://carles.buzz/the-contemporary-conformist/

Wow. Sometimes I feel bad because I'm a bit of a misanthrope; I'm a rank amateur compared to this guy. It's always fascinating to see someone froth with loathing for people whose crime is...being being middle class. OK, in this case it's being middle-class, and attempting to look as if they have more money, taste, and experience than they really do (the trends he criticizes are silly, but most trends are). How dare they like these things? And how dare they look happy about it?

A man who detests everything posted:

The contemporary conformist lifestyle is a curated DisneyLand-like experience for ‘the lesser cultured.’ Suburbanite mainstreamers feel ‘hip’ when entering a contemporary conformist space. They go home and attempt to ‘replicate recipes’ with new ‘flavors’ that they tried.

I'm still uncertain if he believes anyone can really enjoy things they actively choose to wear and eat and do, even if those things are stupid and/or annoyingly trendy, or if the only way to be authentic (sorry, 'auth') is to have no options. But he doesn't like poor people much either.

:iiam:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lmao the chef of this restaurant can't decide if he hates his customers or busers more

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Stop putting Ramen in everything idiots

Now even red robin is doing it

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 1, 2016

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

Bomrek posted:

Butter tea is a Tibetan thing; butter coffee is probably delicious as well.

Here's the thing about highland areas: just being above certain elevations is hard on the body. You burn more calories not only due to the cold but also because your body is working harder to use what little oxygen it can glean from the air. If you are in a highland area and also doing strenuous work, I can see how a drink that is basically calories + water would be a real good idea.

It is unfortunate, then, that this is being marketed to suburban dads in middle America.

That's basically where he got the idea. He was in the Himalayas and saw the mountaineers drank that butter coffee. He thought if it's so healthy and useful to them maybe he should market it to the Suburbs. You're right though mountain climbing would burn through a serious amount of calories so it's not uncommon to consume fatty calorie rich foods. I'm not sure if the BulletCoffee guy doesn't know that or if he does and is just a shameless marketer.

I nearly forgot about the most Hipster food trend. A cereal restaurant.

They opened up in London and heard they had plans to open a second in Dublin. The premise is simple, they have American and local cereals that they serve to you in your choice of milk for the price of lunch.

Marenghi fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 1, 2016

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Carnival of Shrews posted:

How dare they like these things? And how dare they look happy about it?

asides from hating on the nebulous concept of hipsters ruining everything that's basically all this thread is about my dude

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Nobody is happy about eating food out of a shoe.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

what if you get to keep the shoe afterwards

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
I feel like saying "these idiots are doing business incorrectly" or "these idiots are killing themselves with expensive, overpriced 'fancy' food that's actually unhealthy for them" isn't quite the same as "HOW DARE THEY FEEL JOY"

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
This threads a pretty damning view of the modern West, imho.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqFodlpHF_Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ms9iUDxiB3U&t=75s

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Marenghi posted:

They opened up in London and heard they had plans to open a second in Dublin. The premise is simple, they have American and local cereals that they serve to you in your choice of milk for the price of lunch.

Looks like they stole Michael Scott's restaurant idea.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
I live in London and the cereal restaurant makes me irrationally angry every time it's discussed. I want their lovely business to fail and then I'd like to eat some plain old loving Weetabix moistened with their tears.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

ninjahedgehog posted:

Looks like they stole Michael Scott's restaurant idea.

They allegedly got the idea after watching an old Zooey Deschanel movie where she works at a hipster cereal Cafe.

Marenghi fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 1, 2016

Galsia
Oct 20, 2005

Marenghi posted:

That's basically where he got the idea. He was in the Himalayas and saw the mountaineers drank that butter coffee. He thought if it's so healthy and useful to them maybe he should market it to the Suburbs. You're right though mountain climbing would burn through a serious amount of calories so it's not uncommon to consume fatty calorie rich foods. I'm not sure if the BulletCoffee guy doesn't know that or if he does and is just a shameless marketer.

They both look like convicted infant-rapist Ian Watkins from Lostprophets.

RolandTower
Nov 19, 2003

Guns n' Roses n' Deus Ex Machina
Bleak Gremlin

Marenghi posted:

how can you bring them up and not mention they were Burned to the ground by a mob of angry anti-hipster rioters

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
Because they were unfortunately not burned to the ground and were trading again soon after.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

PK posted:

Bone broth.

$12 / 750mL. What a joke.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I hate this whole thread. I'm glad I live in the middle of the loving woods.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Lavender.

Put lavender in your shortbreads, cookies, sugar, oils, lemonades, and so much more! Or not because where the gently caress do you get lavender in your area, much less lavender that's not loving 20 USD or more, or some poo poo.

It doesn't even taste that good? Aromatically, it's a nice addition, but you're better off huffing from a bag of dried poo poo you pull out of your underwear drawer than regularly buying poo poo to put in cookie batters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Marenghi posted:

what hosed up loser is going to the cereal cafe to order protein cheerios

• Locked thread