Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drad_Bert
Jun 26, 2013

by Smythe
im scared of pussy :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't know what fears I'm supposed to have. I know what fears I'm supposed to have through psychological association and operant conditioning, however. I know when people are exploiting the fears I'm supposed to have. I'm afraid of the pleasure they get when they think they are succeeding. Smart people are harder to hypnotize, and I guess I have the fear of people getting angry if I appear too intelligent.

ClamdestineBoyster fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Apr 1, 2016

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Nathilus posted:

I've developed a weird heights thing. I was too stupid to be scared of heights as a kid I guess and climbed trees and poo poo like a squirrel. As an adult precipitous locations give me tickly balls but it's controllable. I could easily stand at the edge of a cliff and look down without pissing myself. It might take some dry swallowing and poorly concealed edging but it would be doable.

However, when I am up high and look at something even higher, the vertigo is instantaneous and drat near debilitating. Like I almost have to avert my eyes or fall over. Only an extreme act of will can keep me centered enough to continue looking. Even loving vaulted ceilings can do this to me. If I were at the rail of a choir balcony in a cathedral and looked at the ceiling, it would happen. If I go out onto a balcony in manhattan that's up high and look at a taller building, it happens. If I'm on a ladder and look at a branch or wtf ever 20 feet up, it happens. It's the craziest poo poo. There's nothing intellectual about it. I'm sure enough of myself that I'm not worried about falls. It's some primal meat-reaction. But why so drat specific? I mean I guess it's better that I'm fine looking down or across from up high, but why specifically does looking up from high cause that reaction? Brains are weird.
you're afraid of the most high, infidel

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nathilus posted:

I've developed a weird heights thing. I was too stupid to be scared of heights as a kid I guess and climbed trees and poo poo like a squirrel. As an adult precipitous locations give me tickly balls but it's controllable. I could easily stand at the edge of a cliff and look down without pissing myself. It might take some dry swallowing and poorly concealed edging but it would be doable.

However, when I am up high and look at something even higher, the vertigo is instantaneous and drat near debilitating. Like I almost have to avert my eyes or fall over. Only an extreme act of will can keep me centered enough to continue looking. Even loving vaulted ceilings can do this to me. If I were at the rail of a choir balcony in a cathedral and looked at the ceiling, it would happen. If I go out onto a balcony in manhattan that's up high and look at a taller building, it happens. If I'm on a ladder and look at a branch or wtf ever 20 feet up, it happens. It's the craziest poo poo. There's nothing intellectual about it. I'm sure enough of myself that I'm not worried about falls. It's some primal meat-reaction. But why so drat specific? I mean I guess it's better that I'm fine looking down or across from up high, but why specifically does looking up from high cause that reaction? Brains are weird.

So when you look at the night sky do you freak out? Because I mean you're looking down at all those stars. And they're p far down there.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'm legitimately triskaidekaphobic, the stupidest of the phobias.

I won't check a thread if the unread number of posts is that number, everything that would be that number is labeled "12a", I won't sent a text at that number after the hour, it's loving annoying.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Pick posted:

I won't check a thread if the unread number of posts is that number, everything that would be that number is labeled "12a", I won't sent a text at that number after the hour, it's loving annoying.

Meanwhile, this is my "lucky number" :)

We seem to be opposites.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
The reality that one day I will be dead and gone forever is pretty terrifying. I think mortality is scarier than standing on a ladder or looking at propeller under water or whatever you guys are discussing

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
im afraid my hamburger will laugh at me :(

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I have a crippling sense of general uneasiness

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

some times it feels like im going to spin right off the planet or that im going to fall up into space

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

ROFLburger posted:

The reality that one day I will be dead and gone forever is pretty terrifying. I think mortality is scarier than standing on a ladder or looking at propeller under water or whatever you guys are discussing
im pretty sure a phobia is only if the thing poses either little or no legitimate danger to you, but death is a danger so I don't think fear of death is a phobia?

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

genesplicer posted:

You hit directly upon one of my fears. When I clicked on the thread title, I expected a bit of a laugh, but that picture instantly came up and I had just a bit of a charge run up my spine.

weird, it's not such a big deal. I mean unless you slipped and caught the railing but couldn't hold on and plunged into the black water, into an icy pit that swallows you whole, and you try to reach out but you cut your hand on the sharp corroded edge of the propeller blade, and you look up and try to scream but only bubbles come out and water fills your throat and you hear the dull subdued whine of the machinery coming to life, slow at first, but as you try to swim away the current starts pulling you back, closer, closer, the blade almost to your feet,

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
climbing ladders. im fine with heights otherwise, but being a few feet off the ground makes me very nervous.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

climbing ladders. im fine with heights otherwise, but being a few feet off the ground makes me very nervous.
lmao im gonna shake your loving ladder

Sialia
Feb 12, 2016

Pick posted:

What did you do in 2009(+4 years)
That would have been a hard time for you

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

was david bowie really afraid of americans???

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

scared of snails

Sialia
Feb 12, 2016

I am actually genuinely scared of cold night skies. This is exacerbated when it is overcast and there are no stars. Overcast mid-winter nights are the worst.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Sialia posted:

What did you do in 2009(+4 years)
That would have been a hard time for you

Actually it was incredibly awful yeah.

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

im scared of individual pieces of paper blowing in the wind

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

Spiders and centipedes and gross bugs don't bother me but gently caress crane flies what the gently caress is wrong with those things
I fuckin hate em

crane is a bird so they look a little different

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

ROFLburger posted:

lol talk about a jumpy jimmy, nobody say "boo" around this kid

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
I'm paranoid that I have psychosis

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
crane flies, those fluttery disgusting long legged fuckers that flap against your walls and then disappear when you try to kill them

ugh gently caress its summer soon they're gonna be everywhere

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

Spiders and centipedes and gross bugs don't bother me but gently caress crane flies what the gently caress is wrong with those things
I fuckin hate em
those and daddy long legs freak me out, because they move around like they can barely control themselves, so it makes me think they're just gonna accidentally fall on me and start thrashing out like crazy

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

a hole-y ghost posted:

those and daddy long legs freak me out, because they move around like they can barely control themselves, so it makes me think they're just gonna accidentally fall on me and start thrashing out like crazy

they probably can barely control themselves for real because those fuckers move using a system of changing hydraulic pressure that's real gross and also they probly drinkin on your stash

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
Things I'm afraid of:
  • Germs
  • Bugs
  • Elevators
  • Needles
  • Everything

I'm cool with snakes, though.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
Oh I forgot to mention I'm also afraid of honeypots.

Sialia
Feb 12, 2016

Cnut the Great posted:

Things I'm afraid of:
  • Germs
  • Bugs
  • Elevators
  • Needles
  • Everything

I'm cool with snakes, though.

You would have a bad time in the science room of a filthy multi-storey primary school on vaccination day.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Sialia posted:

You would have a bad time in the science room of a filthy multi-storey primary school on vaccination day.

I don't know if I should count the needle thing as a phobia because it's never stopped me from getting shots I need. I just get kind of anxious and have to look away while it's happening.

goatse.cx haver
Oct 17, 2010

precious metals
i cant sit with my back to open spaces while in public, cant have people walking past behind me

goatse.cx haver
Oct 17, 2010

precious metals
im rrally scared someones going to put a note saying "dumbass" on my back

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

scared of those bristly green things that really obese people dsome times get under theyre arms

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

Cnut the Great posted:

I don't know if I should count the needle thing as a phobia because it's never stopped me from getting shots I need. I just get kind of anxious and have to look away while it's happening.

once i stabbed my hand with a butter knife accidently and i got two local anaesthetic needles and they hurt a lot then i watched them stitch the wound up and theni felt light headed and trhe doctor told me that maybe i shouldnt have watched because i got really pale and shaky. then she gave me some orange huice

edit; my fore finger is still numb down one side and this was like 5 monthes ago.

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

goatse.cx haver posted:

im rrally scared someones going to put a note saying "dumbass" on my back

these days usually it's done with a hovering drone carrying a retina imac with a word document open that just says "fuccboi" and then the pointing down hand emoji

goatse.cx haver
Oct 17, 2010

precious metals
well now i cant go outside at all thanks a lot jerk

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

heights and propellers in water? OH poo poo have I got a scary gif for you

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

scared of bags of "donut holes" because you cant bag some thing that doesnt exist. right??

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Sialia posted:

I am actually genuinely scared of cold night skies. This is exacerbated when it is overcast and there are no stars. Overcast mid-winter nights are the worst.

I love your fear. Especially in video games where its a quiet cold night sky with snow all around you and eerie music comes on.

GO play daggerfall to be terrified for life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

im scared that life is a cosmic accident and there is no life sentient or otherwise anywhere else in any universe and that we are utterly alone in a hostile empty void

• Locked thread