Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Piety is an absolutely terrible first choice, easily the worst you can pick. :dawkins101:

Deus Vult!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Godess of the Hunt and Trapping. We will hunt the great beasts and prey upon them, then we will hunt the unbelievers and prey on them as well. :black101:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

D looks good to me. Did you know that Stonehenge isn't actually a henge? :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Luhood posted:

What even is a henge anyhow?
Allow Stephen Fry to educate you. :eng101:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Philosophy and a trireme with a trade route.

Do we have a name for our island yet? If not we could call it São Miguel.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Luhood posted:

PS: I would like to thank Poil, who were kind enough to show me the greatness that is QI. I had never before known such dry British humour outside of Top Gear, and I am now all the richer for it. DS.
Glad you like it as much as I do. Here's the, almost, full playlist.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'd just like to point out that we can't actually get any ocean going ships for quite some time. There is a decent chance the island is connected to other islands with coastal water however.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Gyra_Solune posted:

god wouldn't it suck if it's only deep ocean all around this starting island though hahahahaha

ha

:shepicide:
Don't worry, that never happens. :shepicide:

ModeWondershot posted:

My mother would definitely approve of this. That said, I cannot possibly envision São Miguel holding two major population centres.
You could easily get four cities on the island, so five population centers. But how about Madeira instead then?

skullhead tethyis posted:

replace caravan with trade ship and we're golden, absolutely no reason we can't make more money
Pirate galleys. :)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Trade with Riga, it's a little safer.

Keep on pieting piety until it's thoroughly pieted. Get a reformation belief before the AI steals them all.

How do you expect to see the horses and guide them back into the stable without a proper lighthouse?

Poil fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 12, 2016

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Building the stable before the lighthouse is faster than building the lighthouse before the stable if you get both but the lighthouse will be completed a lot later and is on a time limit. The +3 production from the stable, while very nice, will not be anywhere near enough to make up for the 100 production cost of building it. For reference, the lighthouse is 185 production. :eng101:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Tithe and Pagodas are just way too good compared to everything else. Cathedrals are very nice but since you tech really fast compared to your production it doesn't take too long until you can get some more art slots.

Monicro posted:

Swords Into Plowshares, as since we are already follwing the divine word of the Goddess we may as well go whole-hog in making it a growth religion. Synergy in your beliefs is important guys!!!!
True, but without the amazing +2 happiness from a pagoda the extra growth will be more difficult to manage.

Poil fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Apr 16, 2016

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Pvt.Scott posted:

Opening Tradition on India with three coastal cities feeding the capital extra food and then going all in on :911: for your ideology is pretty pro. You'll probably be getting hammers from unemployed citizens in the capital by the end game. Then you go for the space victory and nuke the entire planet on the last turn as is traditional for India.
Going tall as India is a bit of a waste. Go tall and wide, it's what they're best at. Their bonus breaks even at population 6 which you reach very quickly and beyond that it's pure gain. :)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Glory of god, we can just build the science buildings normally or even spend gold. We could be buying great scientists instead.

Order the royal architect to walk the streets to pay for building all the wonders we can.

As for technology, I think we should grab Metal Casting and then Astronomy. Surely nothing could go wrong with that.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Anticheese posted:

Yeah, I'd like to see how early-game tourism can be used to your advantage.
It's pretty sweet if you're playing as Byzantium and manage to get 3 buildings. You're pumping out so much tourism you can win before the internet.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

All the piety.
All the wonders.

I really like the quote for the oracle. :)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Omobono posted:

Ok, the gently caress? How and why does a Prince AI manage to fill out a social tree by turn 89? Piety, even, which has no culture boosters.
(Or in alternative, how can it generate 300 faith in two turns at this stage of the game?)
It cheats like crazy. Extra culture and lowered policy costs. I think they get lowered faith costs as well and probably bonus faith but I'm not sure about the last one.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Why would anyone grab a missionary before enhancing? Especially on such an isolated start. :psyduck:

On with the voting:
Chichen Itza, for the quote.
Mandate of Heaven, because.
E, going to need a lot of iron to rule the waves.

AJ_Impy posted:

The Itza Will Come,
It is the word of god.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

ModeWondershot posted:

Wanted Luanda to get the Pagoda sooner and the incentive to get +2 food from Riga was a bonus. It may be the wrong call in the long term, but I think the extra Happiness, Culture and Faith (as well as Gold from more followers) is a boon I would rather have earlier.
It's only the wrong call in that the AI will steal more of the good religion options when they found their heresies before you enhance. Not that big of a deal since we already got pagodas but it's nice to have an even better faith.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Chop! Smash! Rip them limb from limb! Unfavorably treatment.

Be patronizing towards everyone.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Dude, it's four letters long. How did you manage to misspell it? :v:
No worries.

Personally I can't stand how broken rationalism is, it's way too strong. It's just not very fun that if you take it your science output explodes and if you don't you fall so far behind and tech matters more than anything else.

Poil fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 3, 2016

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Selfish rear end in a top hat destroys priceless art... :argh:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The Shoshone: Unfavorably! Land stealing jerks.
Japan: Unfavorably! Warmongering buttfaces.
Venice : Unfavorably! City state killing assholes.
The Byzantines: Unfavorably! Religion bonus thieves.
Brazil: Favorably! They're ok.

:mad:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

ModeWondershot posted:

Unfortunately, "granizo" means "hail" in the sense of the icy stuff that falls from the sky and not the sense you mean.
Hail, hail, hail on the king.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Romanos ir para casa!

Or something. Google translate don't fail this time too. :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

ModeWondershot posted:

In order to salve Salazar's concerns, Dona Maria contacts Ashurbanipal directly. Though his words are disconcerting, his attitude and graciousness as a fellow Sebastianist and liberated ally suggests that the two of them can work together towards better things.

To that end, Dona Maria asks him formally if he would consider her as a friend and ally in the future.

When Dona Maria awakens, she is confused and irritated, and convenes Dom João and Senhor Salazar for a meeting to discuss the future.
See? This what trying to act favorably inevitably leads to. After giving him back his freaking capital and stomping all over his hated enemy he's still only neutral and won't even be our friends. It's only a matter of time before he joyfully joins in with the anti-Portugal denouncing chains too. :argh:

Have a new and better dream about how to deal with other civilizations instead:
Esmagar seus inimigos, vê -los conduzido antes de você, e ouvir as lamentações de suas mulheres!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Just remember that the wall breaks when the OWNER gets dynamite, not anyone else.

I don't speak a word Portuguese and don't mind being corrected anyway. So I'll change my vote to "Esmagar seus inimigos, vê -los dirigido antes de você, e ouvir as lamentações de suas mulheres!". :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Siegkrow posted:

go Full Hitler.
:v:

Also those warmongering penalties you see when attacking cities, they're utterly worthless. It always says major, or sometimes extreme. Completely pointless.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Nordick posted:

My experiences say otherwise. In my last game I made the mistake of beating the poo poo out of my neighbouring Poland (speaking of going Hitler...) early in the game, and almost everyone hated my guts ever since, even when I went looong stretches without capturing anything.
Sorry I meant to say they were worthless because they always give you same information, major warmongering. Since I have seen the occasional extreme warmongering I assume it's part of some system designed to help you limit getting too much warmongering penalty but it's useless since the information is always the same and doesn't ever tell you anything besides maybe "capturing cities gives you warmongering penalty :downs:".

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Stephen9001 posted:

At least liberating cities can erase warmonger penalties right?
If they do it must be by a minuscule amount. And the ungrateful AI always hate me regardless.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Free to patronize whoever we want!

Siegkrow posted:

So how has the lady lived for thousands of years?
:drac:?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

We will end this with the words: Eat nuclear fire sucker!

• Locked thread