Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The month of jibes and japes is upon us again, and with it comes a new chat thread! This month's thread is quite appropriately themed after comics comedy. What was your favorite comedic issue or run of a superhero comic? What is your favorite wacky creator-owned work? How much more interesting than The Joker is almost every single other comedy-themed villain? This and many more topics are welcome here in the April chat thread! Leave the dour taste of March behind and step towards spring with me!

For the record, my favorite comedy series is Tales Designed to Thrizzle by Michael Kupperman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I hate comics.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I've never read any of it before. Is that strip representative of the style? Are there ever any longer stories?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
TIME TRAVEL

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I got dibs on May!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I've been thinking about volunteering to do one of these but have doubt in my ability to pull off a good OP.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I've never read any of it before. Is that strip representative of the style? Are there ever any longer stories?

Most stories are 1-2 pages long, but recurring characters do appear in continuing adventures, and sometimes there are longer stories, like Jungle Princess In The City:

The main thing with Kupperman is that he reappropriates older art into his compositions and turns it humorous.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I want to go ahead and wish everyone a Happy New Year! The first new moon since the equinox falls on the 7th of April this year, and that means the new year celebration on the Babylonian and, from the scant records we have dating back to the reign of Shulgi, ancient Sumerian calendars!

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

WickedHate posted:

I hate comics.

Same, but for things that aren't comics.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
From the last one,

quote:

Speculator chat: a guy I work with buys every Spider-Man variant for every Spider-Man book. He then waits and sells them so he can use that profit to buy the old comics missing from his collection. His goal is to own every Spider-Man comic, read them all in order once, and then sell them to get rich.
There's something vaguely endearing about this, but unless he already has a copy of the Amazings Spider-Man 1 and Fantasy 15 it's likely a fool's errand.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Skwirl posted:

From the last one,

There's something vaguely endearing about this, but unless he already has a copy of the Amazings Spider-Man 1 and Fantasy 15 it's likely a fool's errand.

It's quite Quixotic of him. Keep chasing those Spiderman shaped windmills, crazy man.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ghostlight posted:

It's been April here for over 14 hours you slacker.

Only countries that have been to the moon get to dictate when April is or isn't.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Damnable Latverian calendar!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Rhyno posted:

Only countries that have been to the moon get to dictate when April is or isn't.
Nobody deciding is the same as anybody deciding.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Most stories are 1-2 pages long, but recurring characters do appear in continuing adventures, and sometimes there are longer stories, like Jungle Princess In The City:

HA HA HA HA HAAAA! ALL FOR ME! ALL FOR PAGUS!

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Skwirl posted:

From the last one,

As far as i know Spider-Man 28 is still the oldest book he has. He talked alot about how hard it was to find one in good shape because of the mostly black cover. He's missing around 60 Amazings.

Our LCBD came back from Chicago with a decent Spider-Man 4. I don't think my co-worker can afford it and I'm thinking of snagging it for myself. I'm not really a big Spider-Man fan, but first appearance of Sandman, why not?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Heathen posted:

As far as i know Spider-Man 28 is still the oldest book he has. He talked alot about how hard it was to find one in good shape because of the mostly black cover. He's missing around 60 Amazings.

Our LCBD came back from Chicago with a decent Spider-Man 4. I don't think my co-worker can afford it and I'm thinking of snagging it for myself. I'm not really a big Spider-Man fan, but first appearance of Sandman, why not?

Ignoring value, getting any Lee /Ditko original joints is pretty awesome.

I haven't actually looked, but Amazing Spider-Man 1 and Amazing Fantasy 1 are probably the most expensive 60's comics, and at least Fantasy has to be worth about as much as Action 1 or Detective 25.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dr. Hurt posted:

HA HA HA HA HAAAA! ALL FOR ME! ALL FOR PAGUS!

How ironic!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhyno back in March posted:

Say what. Is it at least the retailer incentive copy? Because I have like 12 copies of the standard one in my $1 bins.

I have no clue, it's way high up on their wall of framed comics and I am not very tall.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

How ironic!

Get out your brushes and your paint tubes. You're gonna knock 'em into little cubes!

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

I have just discovered the new place I'm moving to in a week is like literally across the street from a comicbook store. RIP my :20bux:.

Also RIP my shelf space. I found the 52 omnibus for real cheap. I have no regrets but holy hell that this is huge.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Heathen posted:

28 is a great cover. My earliest is 16, and I'm missing probably like 80 some odd issues between 1 and 252. I wish I had the disposable income to go back issue hunting.

What are some collections you guys have that span several writers and/or decades that your oddly proud of?

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Apr 1, 2016

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Hey chat thread. I do some podcasting with some friends and we were going to start a comic podcast, mostly just for fun. It's going to be called Event Fatigue and we'll basically just be talking about event books, one per episode, in no order and not confined to any one company. The trick is that we all have different backgrounds as far as books go: I've read pretty much everything ever, one host is mostly up on modern stuff at a Marvel Unlimited pace, and the other is a lapsed fan.

I want the show to be interesting and funny, giving necessary background both in-continuity and behind-the-scenes, with recaps and sort of a book club feel. We're not popular and that's not really our goal, but I also was hoping to get some interactivity in it. We're starting with the 1985 Secret Wars, which is the obvious starting point, and I figured I'd ask my favorite comic forum for any questions you'd wanted answered about the book - keeping in mind my hosts various backgrounds. So anything from our thoughts on a particular moment or why something happened, which can be researched and answered, or whatever.

Basically I guess I'm asking for kind of like a letters column type of thing? This might just get shitposts in response, but I like talking comics with my non-comicy friends and I like talking comics with you guys, so this is where the two shall meet. If you have anything, you can reply here or PM me or something. Here is chubby Wolverine being scared and angry simultaneously as an offering:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Die Laughing posted:

What are some collections you guys have that span several writers and/or decades that your oddly proud of.

I own every Justice League International/America/Europe/Quarterly/miniseries comic from Justice League 1 (1987) to Justice League America 113 (1996), just before the Morrison relaunch, which is about 250–260 issues? I've also got all of the JL Detroit era just prior.

Mentioned before, but I also have every issue of WW Vol 2 except for stupid #184.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Heathen posted:

We just bought 115 issues from #60 through #301, if you're looking for anything in that run PM me and I'll let you know if I have them.

Aphrodite posted:

I have no clue, it's way high up on their wall of framed comics and I am not very tall.

Try and find out, it'd be hilarious if it's the normal one.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Little Mac posted:

Hey chat thread. I do some podcasting with some friends and we were going to start a comic podcast, mostly just for fun. It's going to be called Event Fatigue and we'll basically just be talking about event books, one per episode, in no order and not confined to any one company. The trick is that we all have different backgrounds as far as books go: I've read pretty much everything ever, one host is mostly up on modern stuff at a Marvel Unlimited pace, and the other is a lapsed fan.

I want the show to be interesting and funny, giving necessary background both in-continuity and behind-the-scenes, with recaps and sort of a book club feel. We're not popular and that's not really our goal, but I also was hoping to get some interactivity in it. We're starting with the 1985 Secret Wars, which is the obvious starting point, and I figured I'd ask my favorite comic forum for any questions you'd wanted answered about the book - keeping in mind my hosts various backgrounds. So anything from our thoughts on a particular moment or why something happened, which can be researched and answered, or whatever.

Basically I guess I'm asking for kind of like a letters column type of thing? This might just get shitposts in response, but I like talking comics with my non-comicy friends and I like talking comics with you guys, so this is where the two shall meet. If you have anything, you can reply here or PM me or something. Here is chubby Wolverine being scared and angry simultaneously as an offering:

Do a good job explaining the toy deal, and how all the Marvel books jumped ahead in a 52 style time skip, so you had to read the event to find out why Spider-Man has a black suit, and why She Hulk is on the Fantastic Four.

What I'd like to know is what went into having Spider-Man and Spider Woman having matching costumes. The symbiote and Julia Carpenter both came from the event.

And you have to do Secret Wars 2 and then Secret Wars 2015. Do it as a trilogy to maximize marketability. We all know that's what all the best events are about.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Squizzle posted:

I want to go ahead and wish everyone a Happy New Year! The first new moon since the equinox falls on the 7th of April this year, and that means the new year celebration on the Babylonian and, from the scant records we have dating back to the reign of Shulgi, ancient Sumerian calendars!

WHO ARE YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Little Mac posted:

Ooh, sounds cool. I'm alwas looking for new comics podcasts.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Die Laughing posted:

And you have to do Secret Wars 2 and then Secret Wars 2015. Do it as a trilogy to maximize marketability. We all know that's what all the best events are about.

This is definitely in the works, though SW2015 is the reason we're doing this: basically I and the Unlimited reader would discuss Secret Wars at length and the others wouldn't have anything to say, so we're trying to give everyone equal footing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Are those Kupperman strips all online somewhere?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Chaos Hippy posted:

WHO ARE YOU

Just an average some thing is awful dot com goon, who appreciates the end of the rainy season and the public performance/recitation of the world's best parenting text, the Enuma elish.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't remember who squizzle is, yall change avatars and I forget who's who.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

zoux posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't remember who squizzle is, yall change avatars and I forget who's who.

My rich and varied history of avatars.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

I hadn't even noticed Squizzle's avatar ever changed. It's been the same for as long as I've been posting in BSS I think.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
I am totally up for any comic podcast that is halfway decent. Looking forward to it.

If anyone can suggest any others I would be interested. I tried a few and they are either hard to jump into or just grating.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The only goons that confuse me are Lurdiak and Rhyno. Like, I know who the regulars are but every time there is an avatar change I think our dwindling community has grown a bit.

Speaking of which, I am far to used to Rhyno's avatar. It is throwing me off now that it hasn't changed recently.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lonos Oboe posted:

I am totally up for any comic podcast that is halfway decent. Looking forward to it.

If anyone can suggest any others I would be interested. I tried a few and they are either hard to jump into or just grating.
Which ones did you try? I only ask so I don't recommend stuf you've already tried out.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Die Laughing posted:

What are some collections you guys have that span several writers and/or decades that your oddly proud of?

With the exception of a couple Zombie books and two of the 70's Hulk magazines I own every appearance of Moon Knight.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

Yvonmukluk posted:

Which ones did you try? I only ask so I don't recommend stuf you've already tried out.

It was ages ago and I can't really recall. But if you suggest something and say it's worth getting into I am totally up for giving it another try. I'd appreciate the suggestions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

zoux posted:

Are those Kupperman strips all online somewhere?

Kupperman actually has a decent amount of strips online for free. If you like it, both tales designed to thrizzle and Snake 'n' Bacon's Cartoon Cabaret are available pretty cheaply on Amazon. If you enjoy the strips on his site, they are definitely worth the purchase.

Also: appropriate for the Punisher Chat from the last month's thread.

• Locked thread