Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Both volumes of Tales Designed to Thrizzle are actually part of the fantagraphics comedy sale on comixology today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Madkal posted:

The only goons that confuse me are Lurdiak and Rhyno. Like, I know who the regulars are but every time there is an avatar change I think our dwindling community has grown a bit.

Speaking of which, I am far to used to Rhyno's avatar. It is throwing me off now that it hasn't changed recently.

Man, don't remind me.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Both volumes of Tales Designed to Thrizzle are actually part of the fantagraphics comedy sale on comixology today.

That is a pro purchase.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Well, poo poo, good timing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'd buy them, but...

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lonos Oboe posted:

It was ages ago and I can't really recall. But if you suggest something and say it's worth getting into I am totally up for giving it another try. I'd appreciate the suggestions

OK then.

I can recommend:
Jay & Miles X-Plain the X-Men - X-actly what it says on the tin, plus they also occassionally get in big name comics creators to answer their questions. You get to learn about such luminaries as Super Doctor Astronaut Peter Corbeau, Harvey & Janet, and the fact there's a roster of clone X-Men tooling around in space since 1988 that are never mentioned again.
MultiversalQ - Two guys talk about the various parallel universes that show up in comics, as well as assembling a great big list of all of them ranked. They also take listener suggestions - not just of issues, but if you have a premise for a What If? and put it on the list.
House To Astonish - Comics news & reviews, along with the Official Handbook to The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe, where they find some obscure character or team & discuss how to integrate them into current continuity.
Journey into Misery - British man explains to his girlfriend various complex comics characters and concepts. Yes, even Hawkman.

Actually a fair few comics podcasts (including some I already listed) did a crossover last year, so that might be a good jumping-on point for a few others I've not yet mentioned.

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.

Lonos Oboe posted:

It was ages ago and I can't really recall. But if you suggest something and say it's worth getting into I am totally up for giving it another try. I'd appreciate the suggestions

The only comic podcast I've kept with over the last few years is 11 O'clock Comics. You can get them through itunes or your android podcast repository, and also download directly at http://bullpenbulletins.libsyn.com/. They also have a forum http://11oclockcomics.com/forum/. The three of them are pretty active with their fans.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

This is a spin-off from the costume thread but... seriously what's the deal with Deathstroke?

I admit I am one of the rare older comics fans that never got particularly into the Wolfman/Perez Titans so maybe I'm missing out there but it feels like the (to me) baffling love for this guy just sort of came out of nowhere. Is there some amazing run of Deathstroke related comics that I completely missed? Most of the time he seems like a much less interesting Punisher (or to be completely honest a slightly less interesting VIgilante).

Why do we keep getting books about this guy?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

The only goons that confuse me are Lurdiak and Rhyno. Like, I know who the regulars are but every time there is an avatar change I think our dwindling community has grown a bit.

Speaking of which, I am far to used to Rhyno's avatar. It is throwing me off now that it hasn't changed recently.

My avatar doesn't change nearly as much as Lurdiak's!

I've had a lot of Guy Gardner avatars.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Continuity is important.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

NorgLyle posted:

This is a spin-off from the costume thread but... seriously what's the deal with Deathstroke?

I admit I am one of the rare older comics fans that never got particularly into the Wolfman/Perez Titans so maybe I'm missing out there but it feels like the (to me) baffling love for this guy just sort of came out of nowhere. Is there some amazing run of Deathstroke related comics that I completely missed? Most of the time he seems like a much less interesting Punisher (or to be completely honest a slightly less interesting VIgilante).

Why do we keep getting books about this guy?

He was a big villain for the Wolfman/Perez Titans and was the center of some of the most memorable stories of that era. The character had a decent and mildly successful comic that ran for 60+5 issues in the early 90's. He did "disappear" for a bit after that, but Identity Crisis pushed him from a Titans level villain to a JLA level villain. He was also used in the Johns Titans run which is a modern sequal of Wolfman/Perez run half the time. Nostalgia of the people in charge of DC is my big guess as to why he keeps getting books. Johns seems to love the character.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He was also in the cartoon.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

NorgLyle posted:

He's a pedophile who murders people for money, OP. Some people like him a lot.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The reason why people care about Deathstroke now is mainly about Christopher Priest returning to comics.
If Tony S Daniel was doing the comic again, everyone would've gone 'ughhhh' and bemoaned it's return over Midnighter.

I suppose The Punisher never slept with his underage villainess-in-training. That's something Deathstroke's got.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Apr 2, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

The reason why people care about Deathstroke now is mainly about Christopher Priest returning to comics.
If Tony S Daniel was doing the comic again, everyone would've gone 'ughhhh' and bemoaned it's return over Midnighter.

I suppose The Punisher never slept with his underage villainess-in-training. That's something Deathstroke's got.

Priest already returned to comics. He did the Q2 mini not all that long ago.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wait isn't Ravager his daughter?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

Wait isn't Ravager his daughter?

He's referring to Terra.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Teen Titans is the worst comic series of all time.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Please do not undersell Red Hood and the Outlaws.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Teen Titans has a head start since it's been terrible for so long.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Priest already returned to comics. He did the Q2 mini not all that long ago.

Update his Wikipedia page then!

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Deathstroke was also popular in the Injustice game where you could spam guns and beat lots of people.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Ghostlight posted:

Please do not undersell Red Hood and the Outlaws.

You can easily make the argument that RHATO is just Teen Titans logical evolution.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Outlaw Star is better than Cowboy Bebop and the hot springs episode rules.

Travis343 posted:

You can easily make the argument that RHATO is just Teen Titans logical evolution.

Outlaws is real fuckin bad, and Red Hood/Arsenal is even worse(to my eternal disappointment :sigh:) but there's just enough good in the last leg of Outlaws to keep it from being Teen Titans terrible, if only from a purely mathematical perspective.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I like Teen Titans fine. I've been reading the Wolfman/Pérez comics and I enjoy them well enough. They're not as good as Claremont's X-Men but they suit me fine. They're about on par with Levitz/Giffen Legion by my estimation. It's corny in a way that appeals to me.

However, I think Teen Titans Go! is the best thing that's been done with it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I know it's a day late, but did anyone catch this minor bombshell from the Library and Archives of Canada?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I like the implication that this is a picture of Jack Kirby and not just a thing he drew.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I want PBS to release Peg + Cat comics with ukelele tabs as backmatter.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Does anyone s store have the A Force 3 roller derby variant cover? My sisters a big derby nerd and that'd make a cool present

Edit: nevermind. Found semi locally

omnibobb fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 3, 2016

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Deathstroke has a cool mask and a cool mask goes a long way

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I'm doing a Sandman re-read and now that I'm an adult with expendable income I think I need to commission an artist to make me a cute frog mug replica.

I would be seen in public with a cute frog mug.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I saw a SPECIAL COLLECTOR'S EDITION NO LONGER IN PRINT in the flea market today.

It was Youngblood.

They also had Supreme!

From before Alan Moore's run.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
What's Grant Morrison working on these days?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

El Gallinero Gros posted:

What's Grant Morrison working on these days?
Is he still editing Heavy Metal?

He's got that Wonder Woman: Earth One stuff going on, too.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

His first Heavy Metal issue is the next one!
He's also got Klaus still running, and announced Multiversity Too and his own Batman B+W a few months ago.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/04/04/comic-book-resources-sold-to-valnet-and-i-get-a-funny-feeling/

Comic Book Resorces has been sold and Jonah Weiland is leaving.

I dunno if that's a disastrous thing. I just check Comics Should Be Good once in a while, so I hope that survives!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 4, 2016

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

I dunno if that's a disastrous thing. I just check Comics Should Be Good once in a while, so I hope that survives!
That's literally the only thing I visit on that site.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
HOLY poo poo.

My fuckstick customers who named their child Lady Rainicorn had their kid taken by CPS. I would have killed to see the caseworker's face when told the name of that child.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

HOLY poo poo.

My fuckstick customers who named their child Lady Rainicorn had their kid taken by CPS. I would have killed to see the caseworker's face when told the name of that child.

Did they tell you that in casual comic store conversation?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

Did they tell you that in casual comic store conversation?

I wish. No I have a friend who went to school with the wife, she just texted me about it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
How old is the kid? And do you know why she was taken?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

How old is the kid? And do you know why she was taken?

Probably two by now. I rarely see them so it's hard to keep track. If I were to guess it's probably because the parents spend most of their income on toys and poo poo from hot topic while the two times I last saw the kid she was wearing only a diaper.

• Locked thread