Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Dr. Hurt posted:

I believe it is because the schedule for making and releasing manga is so insane, color is only used on really special occasions or as a special bonus. Manga artists live on such a strict schedule already that the time it takes to make it all in color would delay the process. There are some that are all color but those have less of a frequency than the weekly/biweekly magazines

Yeah, the work schedule is nuts. Here's what Hiroshi Shiibashi's life looked like when he was working on Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan. (No idea why it says anonymous when his name is right there on top...)

Color is special, usually for debuts, anniversaries, and major events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Dr. Hurt posted:

I believe it is because the schedule for making and releasing manga is so insane, color is only used on really special occasions or as a special bonus. Manga artists live on such a strict schedule already that the time it takes to make it all in color would delay the process. There are some that are all color but those have less of a frequency than the weekly/biweekly magazines

Yeah. I get why they don't color the whole thing. I just thought that quote was funny. Basically boils down to Mangas are rarely bad.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The first few pages were in color because weekly manga are published (or republished) in big omnibus manga weeklies (like Shonen Jump, the biggest example) before being collected in "trades", aka indidividual books. In contrast to Western comics, virtually every comic in existence is beholden to the big weekly publishers for both money and exposure because the system isn't really in place to follow an ongoing manga as it's ongoing individually. Trades (volumes) are a secondary market, and even the HUGE, HUGE comics like One Piece or Naruto (when it was still ongoing) got published in SJ. The indie manga scene still isn't really a "thing".

In any case big publishers like SJ usually pick a couple of titles every week which they then colorize the first few pages of, because it looks attractive to anyone picking up Shonen casually to see them. It varies on what they pick and why - usually they pick big action sequences, naked stuff, or comics they're trying to push the popularity of. Comic debuts almost always end up colorized, as well as big "events".

Also, I dunno what you've been reading but manga is very very often extremely bad. Besides the creepy sex stuff, which makes DC look like Archie comics, comic spaces are at a premium because as aforementioned everyone basically relies on Shonen Jump to surface their work, and there's a premium on slots to go around. On top of that, all Japanese comic publishers rely entirely on reader polls to determine what gets cut and what doesn't. Like, you think DC or Marvel editorial is bad? Imagine if there was some massive, constantly updated fanpoll that determined what gets renewed and what gets cancelled. Imagine the upset backwards-rear end losers that write into Marvel every time two men kiss, or Captain America or Spider-Man is black, being treated with actual seriousness and weight. Imagine similar cretins who Well actually, in Issue 209 we actually saw Superman say "Hi" to Lex Luthor's wife in one panel so this Lex getting married subplot is NOT ORIGINAL OR CANON, god, I hope someone got fired over this blunder being giving the respect they do not deserve. And, finally, imagine a scenario where the number one way to tank your fanpoll is to take any hiatus at all whatsoever, so outside of breathing-room week-long breaks scattered throughout the year everyone is constantly working, and when they can't figure out how to progress or start a narrative they just write filler. That's Japanese comics, the "beach episode" is A Thing because it's a way to draw girls in bikinis and stabilize your fanpoll rating while you try and figure out how to relax from having worked six months straight of twenty-hour workdays. And if you complain, or try to take serious breaks, at least to refresh creative juices, your comic is canned and the slot is given to somebody else.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Apr 27, 2016

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Everyone should just stop reading or really even talking about animes ever. That quote was hilarious.

at least my dislike of manga is semi tongue in cheek, holy poo poo, can I smell that guy and his crusty body pillows across the internet

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

So I'm reading Annihilation Saga, up to Annihilation: Nova. Does the art ever improve? Because it's some gold-plated hot bullshit right now, and it's so bad it's actively detracting from the appeal of the story.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Just a reminder that I will be working on a May chat thread. By working I mean I will probably poop up something at 11:59 Pacific time (aka the best time).

Also Joker's real name will be Wayne Bruce. Called it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Madkal posted:

Just a reminder that I will be working on a May chat thread. By working I mean I will probably poop up something at 11:59 Pacific time (aka the best time).

You know it's only the 27th, right?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Skwirl posted:

You know it's only the 27th, right?

It's going to be a glorious 3 days of procrastination.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Madkal posted:

Woose Brain

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
His name will be "Anthony Erikson".

" No... That's not possible. Joker can't possibly have a random normal guy name. He must have a name with great significance and his identity must be important to me in some way."

Alternate answer: John Diggle. Why did y'all assume Joker was white? :colbert:

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Soonmot posted:

Everyone should just stop reading or really even talking about animes ever. That quote was hilarious.

at least my dislike of manga is semi tongue in cheek, holy poo poo, can I smell that guy and his crusty body pillows across the internet

Yeah this is what I was hoping people would pick up on.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

I am changing my answer to Bob Kane.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Did they ever explain how Batman is simultaneously chairpunching people and wondering around Gotham amnesiac?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Yvonmukluk posted:

Did they ever explain how Batman is simultaneously chairpunching people and wondering around Gotham amnesiac?

Comics that are published at the same time don't necessarily occur chronologically at the same time within their fictional universe.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Travis343 posted:

Comics that are published at the same time don't necessarily occur chronologically at the same time within their fictional universe.

Yeah, but what's the chain of events after Endgame? Is it chairpunching then amnesia, or amnesia then chairpunching?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yeah, but what's the chain of events after Endgame? Is it chairpunching then amnesia, or amnesia then chairpunching?

I thought I heard that chairpunching was after Endgame but I probably just read this on this forum somewhere so who knows how accurate that is.

Also my phone suggested chairpunching after like three letters, which seems weird.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The Last Days of Superman story that's happening now definitively takes place after Darkseid War and Batman's had a costume change directly after getting his brains back that he didn't have before going all Tron in Justice League, but the end of this will probably contradict it having taken place in the past. Shhh. Don't worry about it. Shhh.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Teenage Fansub posted:

The Last Days of Superman story that's happening now definitively takes place after Darkseid War and Batman's had a costume change directly after getting his brains back that he didn't have before going all Tron in Justice League, but the end of this will probably contradict it having taken place in the past. Shhh. Don't worry about it. Shhh.

:psyboom:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
If only there was somebody whose sole job it could be to know all the stories that are coming up and make sure that they all make sense and there aren't glaring contradictions between them. That'd be nice.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I actually love how nothing's bothering with acknowledging it and there are exactly zero series tying in. It's genuinely refreshing.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 27, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

If only there was somebody whose sole job it could be to know all the stories that are coming up and make sure that they all make sense and there aren't glaring contradictions between them. That'd be nice.

Yeah but where will they find the time between all the sexual harassing they need to do?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

I actually love how nothing's bothering with acknowledging it and there are exactly zero series tying in. It's genuinely refreshing.

Agreed. I don't want to read some other title just to figure out what is going on in the title I like. It is quite refreshing that JLA is happening in it's own little corner and other titles are free to tell their own story.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Are you sure you don't want it like Morrison's Justice League where you have Hippolyta as Wonder Woman for three issues with no explanation coming or going?

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Die Laughing posted:

Are you sure you don't want it like Morrison's Justice League where you have Hippolyta as Wonder Woman for three issues with no explanation coming or going?

I kinda loved this when I was getting into comics. Made it seem like there really was a shitload of things happening around the universe. Ok superman is blue now. Ok Wally West is replaced by angry Walter West. Ok, Batman is busy cause his City is destroyed. Of course reading the real stories was almost always disappointing compared to what my brain was filling in.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Yeah, it being fun or annoying can depend on which side of the bed I woke up on.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It was depressing reading JLI and having Animal Man drop out because his entire family was brutally murdered.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Where it really gets annoying is when you buy the trades years after and all of a sudden you have blue lightening Superman for some reason.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Madkal posted:

Where it really gets annoying is when you buy the trades years after and all of a sudden you have blue lightening Superman for some reason.

That is compounded by the fact that if the blue lightening superman interests you, good luck tracking down that back issue. Cause those ain't digital or in trade print.

DC really needs a Marvel Unlimited thing.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

ImpAtom posted:

It was depressing reading JLI and having Animal Man drop out because his entire family was brutally murdered.

To be fair that happened to Buddy like every other week.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Jeff Smith announced he's going to write a new Bone graphic novel

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

That is compounded by the fact that if the blue lightening superman interests you, good luck tracking down that back issue. Cause those ain't digital or in trade print.

DC really needs a Marvel Unlimited thing.
You can probably get the entire Blue Era for less than lunch at McDonald's.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

AlmightyBob posted:

Jeff Smith announced he's going to write a new Bone graphic novel

Hopefully RASL was a misstep and he returns to form on Bone.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Zachack posted:

Hopefully RASL was a misstep and he returns to form on Bone.

A, Rasl was sweet. B, he's been doing a series called Tuki Save the Humans! that's also sweet.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Madkal posted:

The most annoying one is halfway through the Rock of Ages TPB where the JLA are in the middle of fighting the Injustice Gang when J'onn or somebody says, "I've just detected a massive energy wave in space, and it's heading directly for Earth!" and it leads into the now-forgotten Genesis event, then the very next issue starts with Superman saying, "Good thing we sorted out that Genesis wave!" Wrecks the whole thing's flow when you're reading it a good few years after the fact.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Die Laughing posted:

I did enjoy Steel bringing that up like 2 years later.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Spider-Women has been a loving great crossover, and feels like a crossover naturally built to in all three comics that lead into it over just this random sort of weird pause in between arcs.

Also it's helped revitalize a sagging Spider-Gwen in a really powerful way.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I really like how Gwen hasn't forgive Cindy for the bullshit she pulled during spider verse, because holy poo poo was slot written Silk stupid and annoying.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Yvonmukluk posted:

I believe the official answer is "it doesn't matter."

Which is exactly as it should be.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Here is a weird matter of opinion kind of question for you goons, but which writers do you think have (or had) the best voice/take on which character. What I mean is that there is usually a character who can be kind of boring or whatnot, but every now and again a writer gets a hold on that character and makes them shine. We know about stuff like Peter David's Hulk run where he got a great voice on the character and made him something special. So which other writer's do you think really excelled with certain characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Madkal posted:

Here is a weird matter of opinion kind of question for you goons, but which writers do you think have (or had) the best voice/take on which character. What I mean is that there is usually a character who can be kind of boring or whatnot, but every now and again a writer gets a hold on that character and makes them shine. We know about stuff like Peter David's Hulk run where he got a great voice on the character and made him something special. So which other writer's do you think really excelled with certain characters.

Stan Lee, almost every one.

• Locked thread