Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul
Maybe it's just me, but I really want to see Daniel Cormier get another shot at Jon Jones. This latest injury news is giving me mild anxiety. Cormier is getting older at a rate of at least one second per second. He's even older now than he was when I started typing this. Now, he's a little bit older than he was when I typed that last sentence. Older. Older. Older...

Lloyd Boner posted:

gently caress it, do that and put Conor/Diaz 3 on 200.

Do you foresee a need for Conor/Diaz 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

EmmyOk posted:

Also it's for the interim title

The UFC released a statement:

quote:

"Jon Jones, you have been consistently at the center of embarrassing, and even illegal, antics. You're a hypocrite who tattoos bible verses on his body, but behaves like a borderline psychopath. You're constantly having run-ins with the law, some of which you manage to get captured on film, where you behave like a despicable piece of trash. You routinely make us look like like assholes with our tongues up your rear end with your unrepentant shitstainery. You followed up your one-day stay in rehab with a felonious DUI hit-and-run, then put another pay-per-view at risk because you couldn't even lie low for three more loving weeks after we babied you through your latest bullshit and put you right back into a title fight. We want to make it up to you. In order to compensate you for all the problems everyone else in the world keeps causing you, we want you to have this gift of an interim championship belt. We are truly sorry about the pregnant bitch who broke her arm on your car. I need a bottle of Scope."

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

Dan Didio posted:

It is MMA and things do change, but Daniel Cormier is 37 years old, injured, and will be getting thrown into a fight with the greatest mixed martial artist of all time ASAP.

Cormier is fighting GSP?

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

I feel like if you both cheat and get knocked the gently caress out, you should get a "sad sack" exemption. Be cool, USADA. Let it slide.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

diesiel posted:

Why is that poo poo made public before anything is confirmed, anyway?

For the same reason that news stations start 'round-the-clock coverage of major events, even though they don't know a loving thing about what happened: accuracy is not rewarded, but being first is.

"We heard it was a bo... this just in, it was not a bomb, it was three elephants loose in the school... we mean hospital, and we are now hearing reports that it was, in fact, Muslim extremists, and not elephants, as we previously reported. The death toll is reported as being somewhere between zero and 350,000. We expect to hear about Frank Mir's congenitally tiny balls at any moment. Stay tuned."

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

fatherdog posted:

I think going out drinking with Cerrone is probably a bad idea because you'd wind up skydiving or 4-wheeling across an active volcano or somehthing

I'm confused. Are these examples of negative outcomes?

origami posted:

It's better than her committing suicide...I think

I'd like to remind you that the prime suspect for father would be Travis Browne.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

Dangersim posted:

I watched the fights and khabib looked terrifying. Horcher had good striking though, he caught him with the left a few times.

Horcher looked significantly better than I expected, considering who he was fighting.

fatherdog posted:

Glover's always been good, and it's weird the contortions people go through to convince themselves he isn't

Glover is good. Do people actually say he is not?

In other news, as soon as Buffer was done introducing "Sugar Rashad Evans," I said, out loud, "Sugar Rashad is gonna get knocked the gently caress out." Then, Sugar Rashad got knocked the gently caress out. What I'm saying is, I think I might be God, and if you have any wishes you need granted, contact me, and we'll work something out. Probably through Paypal.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

kimbo305 posted:

The good thing about that fight was that him acquitting himself well in no way diminished how good Khabib looked coming back from that layoff.

Despite what Wok Fried Kevin says, I agree. I'm glad that Horcher put up something resembling a fight, at least for a while.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

Sprecherscrow posted:

Does this mean we can now start a gay rumor about Jon Jones? Does this mean he's now the GOAT?

There was that interview he gave where he made a "joke" about sucking Georges St-Pierre's dick.

Edit: vv I think that might have been the same interview.

Centripetal Horse fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 19, 2016

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

The Sphinxster posted:

The answer to this question is yes by the way.

I don't know how you can say that when Nate Diaz has wins over both Manvel "The Anvil" Gamburyan, and Josh "The Dentist" Neer.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

EmmyOk posted:

My point isn't that Conor isn't a twat for bailing but that Nate has hardly been totally hosed over

Except that's exactly what happened. Nate stepped up to take what the entire world though was a very dangerous fight for him on essentially no notice with no training camp, and saved a major fight. He then won the biggest fight on the most-viewed UFC pay-per-view of all time, and accepted a rematch that only Conor and myself seem to want. Leading up to the rematch, Conor is the one who hosed about, not Nate. Now, if the news is true, Nate doesn't get paid because Conor is an egomaniac coward who doesn't think he needs to do the things his contract (probably) says he needs to do.

Nate didn't receive some sort of gift from the UFC; he earned his paycheck in his first fight against Conor. He stepped off a boat in Cabo San Lucas, and into the octagon at the MGM Grand Garden Arena, and relieved the UFC's golden boy of the burden of consciousness. To say he isn't getting hosed over because, hey, he got a bunch of money last time, is utter horseshit. Nate is absolutely getting totally hosed if he's being dropped from this card. If you think the loving is mitigated by a potential future bout, just imagine your employer telling you, "We're not going to pay you. It's cool, though, because in like three to six months we're going to give you the money you were expecting, today. Unless your coworker fucks up, again, in which case gently caress you."

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

EmmyOk posted:

Plenty of fighters wanted that bout with Conor because it would make them a ton of money so don't try and act like Nate was the only person brave enough to take it. Conor pulling out is as lovely as any other fighter pulling out for bullshit reasons not because he's taking millions away from Nate.

The guy who actually stepped up and won the bout and did everything he was supposed to do and wasn't making trouble about doing press and who showed every indication of just showing up for the rematch and doing his job isn't getting screwed because: other people were also interested in the fight. A solid argument if I ever heard one. No one is ever getting hosed as long as someone else says he'll do the job.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

EmmyOk posted:

I didn't say he wasn't getting the short shrift but he isn't getting nearly as screwed as people are making out. Do you really think no one else would have taken the 196 fight?

Do you really think that has any bearing whatsoever on the point I am making? Once again: it is nonsense to say, "You can't be getting really hosed as long as someone else was willing to take the job. That makes no sense of any kind, whatsoever. By your logic, 19th century miners weren't getting "nearly as screwed as people are making out" because there were literally thousands of people willing to take their jobs. Company stores? Not really a loving. Black lung as a reward for forty years toiling under the rocks? Not as bad as people are making out.

Your knee-jerk reaction is going to be, "LOL U THINK NATE HAS IT AS BAD AS 19TH CENTURY MINERS??!?" It doesn't matter. Your entire point is provably fallacious. Nate is getting hosed, and hosed badly (again, if it's true that he's off the card), and it doesn't matter who else would have taken the job.

EmmyOk posted:

If Nate wasn't going to be in the main event with Conor do you think he would have been anywhere close to the main event of 200? If the UFC decided Nate isn't enough to be the main even without Conor even with 3 months notice then I dunno.

You're trying so hard, and it's weird. Who cares what Nate would or would not have been or done in a completely different reality than the one we live in? Do you think Conor would have the money and the juice with the UFC that he does if he hadn't knocked out Jose Aldo, Jr. in .02 seconds at UFC 194, and smoked Mendes at 189? It doesn't matter, because he did those things.

Chris James 2 posted:

I feel bad for Nate, but most likely he was asked for different fights. He wanted the one with Conor, probably even moreso after this debacle, and wouldn't accept anything else

If that turns out to be true, it's a more mild loving than just being yanked from the card.

Edit: Oh, sorry. We're way past this. I didn't realize the thread had moved so far.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

Jones did dumb poo poo but Conor just has a stinking attitude. I can accept a guy that loves his coke and partying but when someone tries to engineer a fake retirement into a money making opportunity then I start to think he's worse. Jones is a victim of the vices we all could have, Conor is a conniving motherfucker.

You're right that Conor is an rear end, but wrong that he's worse than Jones.

1) While we do all have some vices, the operative word is "some." Jon Jones has all the vices. He's a "victim" of addiction (coke, DUIs), his inability to stop endangering other people in service to his own enjoyment (slammed into the pole in Binghamton, crashed into the pregnant lady and broke her arm), cowardice (fled the scene), greed (went back for the money), hubris (skipped out on rehab after one night, posts taunting tweets about his own lovely behavior), more cowardice (deletes tweets), and on and on. He's a grade-A piece of poo poo.

2) Generally, when we talk about empathizing with someone who has the same flaws we do, it comes with the assumption that the person in question is trying to fight their flaws, and to be a better person in spite of those flaws. Jones revels in the things that make him a shitstick.

What I'm saying is: gently caress Jon Jones.

Dangersim posted:

Someone just compared nate diaz to a nineteenth century coal miner but then said you're not allowed to say that's a dumb thing to say.

Nope.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul
My friend was a security guard at the private school where Wanderlei's kid(s?) go. When this friend was living with me, he used to come home all the time telling me how awesome Wanderlei is, and how polite and friendly Wanderlei is, and how respectful Wanderlei is to the staff, and so on. From this, I conclude that Wanderlei Silva is a reprehensible piece of poo poo, because the friend in question was a terrible judge of character.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

Le Saboteur posted:

Theres like no conviction in either Jon or DCs poo poo talk in this presser. It's a bit of a bummer.

Their hatred and animosity is mellowing into a grudging mutual respect. It's going to be Rocky and Apollo all over, again. Eventually, they will become training partners, then each other's sole friend. Eventually, Jones will be taunted out of retirement by Khabib "The Dagestani Experiment" Nurmagomedov, who will, by that point, be genetically 40% brown bear. After the bruin Khabib kills Jones, Cormier will come out of retirement to pin him against the cage and wrestle him to a boring five-round finish.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

Le Saboteur posted:

Chael Sonnen has some great points on how stupid John Kavanagh is being right now. Odd to be agreeing with Chael but hey whatever. http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/4/28/11526200/sonnen-blasts-mcgregors-coach-after-begging-to-get-conor-back-on-ufc

Anyone know who he copied it from?

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

threeagainstfour posted:

Big John was on a podcast saying that Conor was promised 10 million minimum to fight at UFC 200 and still walked away. The quote from Lorenzo he gives is "I never thought when I had a guy who was guaranteed $10 million, that I'd have a problem."

http://www.letsgetitonpodcast.com/episode-68-conor-mcgregor-new-ufc-main-event-events-big-john-worked-last-week/

What I want to know is not how much he almost got paid for this fight, but how much he's going to get paid for his next fight. I can't imagine that this incident has been any good for Conor's ability to make demands.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

vainman posted:

Who wants to see brown get wrestled, Shogun turn into his brother, Silva and jacare get domed and cyborg beat up a 125er?

I had forgotten Shogun even has a brother. Then, when your post reminded me, I had to concentrate for like three straight minutes to remember Shogun's real name so I could look him up. What I'm saying is: Shogun is irrelevant.

How the hell is Shogun only 34 years old. That can't be right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

BlindSite posted:

Eh 34 is 90 in brazillian years. They age a brazillian times faster.

Well done. I don't know how to make a non-sarcastic clapping smiley.

Snowman_McK posted:

When he had that amazing fight with Hendo, with two old battlers trading earth shaking punches, going past the limits of human endurance and visibly gasping from the effort of standing up again, Shogun was 29 years old.

drat. I think, in my brain, Shogun has been forty years old ever since September 22, 2007.

• Locked thread