Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

PantsBandit posted:

follow up then, now that I've got the 3 pieces how do I get the boss door to open?

go right and down from where you think the boss is, there should be a 3 fragment door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

Can anyone confirm if beating the final boss immediately leads to new game plus or if I can try him out to see the ending? I only have a few more things to collect but I'm very curious about the ending also.

If you reload your save you will be put before the final boss. Be sure not to overwrite your save with an NG+ save and you'll be fine!

Serf
May 5, 2011

Loving the game so far. The art is absolutely gorgeous and the music is great (though I can't hear it without being reminded a little bit of It Follows). I love the visual storytelling, with the wordless comic bubbles that pop up when you talk to people. One that I don't get though is the town drunk. His story seems to be that he arrived in town, got cornered by the inhabitants of the town, and then got the poo poo beaten out of him. Given that the town's inhabitants generally seem friendly towards me... why did they beat this guy to hell and leave him bleeding on the ground?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
That boss fight was really fun!

Also, lol at this article: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/03/31/hyper-light-drifter-impressions/

Game journalists suck rear end at video games, more at 11!

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

PantsBandit posted:

That boss fight was really fun!

Also, lol at this article: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/03/31/hyper-light-drifter-impressions/

Game journalists suck rear end at video games, more at 11!

The best part is he could have just left and gone to the east or west to get more power ups and come back later. What a baby.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Man what is the point of putting a game on PC if you're not going to TRY and make the controls work on a mouse and keyboard. Beautiful art, atmosphere, and design though. v:v:v

I'm playing with mouse+keyboard and it works fine.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
I just beat the game with all 32 diamond pieces using the mouse and keyboard. It wasn't too bad, only the north and west bosses took more than a couple tries and I actually enjoyed them more than the other bosses because it was just so satisfying to master their patterns and I used some creative strategies for them. I thought the setup was screwing me on the rooms that were drifting challenges but I figured out the rhythm.

On a related note, I was extremely through exploring and I still only found all 32 diamond pieces, all 6 guns, 12/16 keys, 5 or 6/12 costumes (I think one is for new game+?), 11/16 tablets, and enough yellow bits to be exactly 5 short of having bought every single thing in town. The only places I know exist I haven't done are whatever is behind the 16 key door in the desert, whatever the 2 "unlocks" are in that drifting track in the shop, beating the npc in soccer, and whatever the 4 beneath town "arena gauntlet" challenges give you if you beat them. Can anyone confirm specifically what the arena track gets you?

Anyways, I thought this game was great. I feel like it could've used one more area/boss but oh well.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

So It Goes posted:

I just beat the game with all 32 diamond pieces using the mouse and keyboard. It wasn't too bad, only the north and west bosses took more than a couple tries and I actually enjoyed them more than the other bosses because it was just so satisfying to master their patterns and I used some creative strategies for them. I thought the setup was screwing me on the rooms that were drifting challenges but I figured out the rhythm.

On a related note, I was extremely through exploring and I still only found all 32 diamond pieces, all 6 guns, 12/16 keys, 5 or 6/12 costumes (I think one is for new game+?), 11/16 tablets, and enough yellow bits to be exactly 5 short of having bought every single thing in town. The only places I know exist I haven't done are whatever is behind the 16 key door in the desert, whatever the 2 "unlocks" are in that drifting track in the shop, beating the npc in soccer, and whatever the 4 beneath town "arena gauntlet" challenges give you if you beat them. Can anyone confirm specifically what the arena track gets you?

Anyways, I thought this game was great. I feel like it could've used one more area/boss but oh well.

soccer unlocks nothing, just a game afaik. Drifting gets you a gear bit for 100 and a costume for 800. Not sure about the arena yet, ill bash my head against that tonight.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
It wants you to do 800?! Holy crap, no way I'm bothering with that, that sounds so boring and tedious. Maybe if somebody posts a script or something.

e: Also, what is the hidden achievement? I had assumed it was for beating the game, but apparently not so I wonder what it is.

So It Goes fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 2, 2016

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Serf posted:

the music is great (though I can't hear it without being reminded a little bit of It Follows).

The music for this game is by Disasterpeace who does some fantastic music for a lot of things, It Follows included. He was most notable before the movie for his soundtrack to Fez, which is still one of the few OSTs I sought out and listened separately to the game.

All his music: http://disasterpeace.com/music

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost

Zaggitz posted:

edit: http://imgur.com/coYPnh5 Got all 8 north pieces, here's my map, the only one you dont see is the freebie at the northernmost part.

I'm missing one fragment in the north and it appears to be the one slightly to the west of the big stairs on this map. How do you get to it?

E: Never mind I found it. Thanks for the map!

Blank Construct fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Apr 2, 2016

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

So It Goes posted:

It wants you to do 800?! Holy crap, no way I'm bothering with that, that sounds so boring and tedious. Maybe if somebody posts a script or something.

e: Also, what is the hidden achievement? I had assumed it was for beating the game, but apparently not so I wonder what it is.

I THINK its for talking to every tingle npc, including those without dialogue boxes, using the interact button. I got it after talking to a random npc after i'd been doing it to every npc i saw in the village.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I did a basic run and got four pieces per area and a single key. Is all the extra stuff (the other four pieces, keys) just for extra gear or is there a different ending or something? How unfair/obtuse are the remaining pickups and things?

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
Looks like people deciphered the tablets: http://steamcommunity.com/app/257850/discussions/0/365163537818966507/#p4

Do people have any thoughts on the story? Each of the four areas seemed to be built around the ruins of a titan, which I presume were killed by the darkness. Not sure what to make of the black dog or who your character is. I'd be curious which tablet specifically is the one that says "the first victim of the invasion" .

Pierson posted:

I did a basic run and got four pieces per area and a single key. Is all the extra stuff (the other four pieces, keys) just for extra gear or is there a different ending or something? How unfair/obtuse are the remaining pickups and things?

People have different ideas of "obtuse" but pretty much everything is subtly signposted. I.e., hidden wall/tree passages have a path on the ground that goes into it or are otherwise suspicious; conspicuous ledges/platforms that may look empty will reveal hidden platforms or a switch to shoot farther down, thin ledges leading to a new screen etc. Really it just comes down to looking at the screen and paying attention to what looks conspicuous and having a keen eye. The map provides hints as well, which is how I found a couple areas since I could guesstimate where a hidden path would be. For example, playing naturally (i.e. before I backtracked through areas looking for things I missed), I found all 8 of the diamond pieces in the east and west and probably 8ish tablets and 5ish keys.

I think the only bit that comes close to "unfair" are some switches you can shoot are only activated by the rail gun instead of the pistol for some reason. Not sure what the rationale is behind that instead of just letting any projectile activate them.

So It Goes fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Apr 2, 2016

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
It keeps crashing at the title screen and saying that that the graphics driver stopped working and has recovered. Also It opens in a really tiny window. How do I fix this?

Edit: I'm on a laptop with a Geforce GTX graphics thing. I can run CS:GO ok with a little bit of lag sometimes.

hostess with the Moltres fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 2, 2016

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Constr posted:

It keeps crashing at the title screen and saying that that the graphics driver stopped working and has recovered. Also It opens in a really tiny window. How do I fix this?

Edit: I'm on a laptop with a Geforce GTX graphics thing. I can run CS:GO ok with a little bit of lag sometimes.

it did the same for me, and i'm also on a laptop with gtx. for whatever reason, this game defaulted to the integrated graphics processor instead of the geforce chip. open your nvidia control panel, find hyper light's .exe and specify gtx graphics in the dropdown menu. once i did that, it worked.

i'm playing on mouse and keyboard, and i find the main issue for me is that it's easy to lose sight of the target reticule. once i find it on the screen i'm pretty okay with orienting myself and can move through a fight pretty well. if it stood out a bit more i think i'd be a lot less likely to dash in the wrong direction. regardless, i just bought the game today and beat one of the bosses. it's fun, and i like the challenge. i'm pretty much just switching zones, so when i get stuck at one i start in on another, collecting diamond pieces as i go instead of trying to bash my head against something that's blocking me. seems like the way to go.

Mr. Pumroy fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 2, 2016

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Update on the final gun, it seems to actually do seven damage which is pretty absurd. Those crystal golem things have 9 hp I think and it leaves them with 2 so that seems right. Missing 14 gear bits, 1 key and 4 of the tablets as well, those'll be loads of fun to find I'm sure.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

i really like the neon color palette. the music's good too, though for most of the game it's of the ambient, someone fell asleep on a korg variety. but when i got to the boss and it picked up and got distorted it was pretty cool. the animation's great and the atmosphere too. i appreciate how the game can transition from a serene ruin to a hosed up scene pretty quick. the maps look like they have a lot of secrets, and i'm mentally filing away places that seem like require a visit later after unlocking certain power ups.

this seems like a cool game, that i like.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Well, cleared the arena, you get an outfit for it which doesn't surprise me at all.
Behind the 16 key door is. . . one upgrade fragment and an outfit, still not surprised.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Apr 2, 2016

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Before I spoil myself on those - are there some clues about how to read the language in the game like Fez had, or did people just crunch it out?

Serf
May 5, 2011

flatluigi posted:

The music for this game is by Disasterpeace who does some fantastic music for a lot of things, It Follows included. He was most notable before the movie for his soundtrack to Fez, which is still one of the few OSTs I sought out and listened separately to the game.

All his music: http://disasterpeace.com/music

Oh, I know. I only went to see It Follows because I heard Disasterpeace did the soundtrack. And to be fair it has an amazing soundtrack.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
this game feels like a run-against-the-wall-to-find-the-secret-path simulator with hard-to-read graphics and unfun "slash a bunch of times against some enemies" gameplay

what on earth are people enjoying in this

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

Suspicious Dish posted:

this game feels like a run-against-the-wall-to-find-the-secret-path simulator with hard-to-read graphics and unfun "slash a bunch of times against some enemies" gameplay

what on earth are people enjoying in this

It's very atmospheric and visually interesting to look at, and also, a lot of fun. Maybe it's just not your bag, that's okay

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
what is visually interesting to look at in this game

its all a crazy top down style that is super hard to parse because walls arent clearly defined at all

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

I find the combat really satisfying personally, though it's a little bland before you get any of the upgrades/more interesting guns.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
i maybe kind of enjoyed the combat but that seems to be all the game has to offer and it wasnt fun or interesting enough to hold its own

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
i bought this game because steam reviews said it was zelda (which it is not) + metroid (which it is not) + dark souls (which it is not)

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

you can just refund it you know

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
yep and i did

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

so maybe just move on rather than being all "what do you guys see in this? no that cant be it thats garbage"

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
i was wondering if the game eventually got fun or i was missing something but after you guys responded with "welllll it looks pretty" i mashed on the refund button

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

It's its own unique little experience that'll last maybe 10 hours if you aren't obsessively trying to 100% the game, which seems fair for the price. If you're not particularly liking the combat or the visuals than yeah, just refund it and move on.
My only real complaint with the game personally is the total lack of any sort of collection screen, I can understand the game not giving some upgrade that points out every single collectible, but at least having some sort of "there are this many things remaining in this zone" would be really nice considering how many secrets are just vaguely different looking walls that're actually hollow. I'm missing 2 tablets some outfits and 7 upgrade fragments and I haven't any idea where to even begin looking short of just wallhumping the entire game world again.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Suspicious Dish posted:

i was wondering if the game eventually got fun or i was missing something but after you guys responded with "welllll it looks pretty" i mashed on the refund button

yeah i havent even bought it so i dont have a real opinion other than i think it looks nice. i do hate wall humping for secrets though.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Suspicious Dish posted:

i bought this game because steam reviews said it was zelda (which it is not) + metroid (which it is not) + dark souls (which it is not)

I did this very same thing.

Which is come to this conclusion and refund it.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
the art can be pretty, but i think its unfit and it really hurts the game -- it's extremely difficult to read in a game where you really need to be precise with your platforming and combat and it can be super busy

example from the game's own store page: are the red pipes flat along the floor or are they vertical? that is, can i walk them or do they obstruct me? when you're fighting the sixteenth enemy in a giant gauntlet (something the game loves to do because fighting the same enemy sixteen times in a row is fun, right???), i really dont want it to make a mistake and "read it wrong", and yet i felt frustration as the game made it unclear

another example: the read along the bottom reads to me like a crumbling wall, rather than part of the platform, which means i'll dash incorrectly. it just feels sloppy.

there are rarely any environment interactions other than "square that does something", you don't blow up walls or unlock shortcuts or anything (wtf did people say this was zelda or metroid or dark souls? those games are as much about interacting with the environment as enemies).

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Imo the controls aren't tight enough to warrant the difficulty.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I have yet to find a secret that didn't have some visual clue element to it. You don't need to wall hump if you're paying close enough attention.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
i say people say that but the issue is that there are lots of visual clues that dont lead anywhere except straight into a wall so the visual clues rarely mean anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I didn't know anything about the game prior to purchasing it so I'm not hung up on it not being game A + game B + game C, instead I think of it as its own thing which got some level of inspiration from a bunch of things and makes for an interesting mix. I've played for about 7 hours now and I never felt like I'm having serious trouble making out what's supposed to be what. Looking at picture is different from seeing it in motion, too.

Bottom line is if you don't enjoy the combat itself, dislike the art style and think you have to hump walls the whole game to get any enjoyment (you don't), then yes, the game is not for you, but there's nothing wrong with that. I'm of the opinion that people shouldn't power through something they don't enjoy just to finish it so good for you on making the right call.

• Locked thread