Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Curious, where did you learn to speak/read English? That panagram is about as universal as the ABC song in the United States.

Each language or even country has its own pangrams, and that's typically not something you're taught when you learn a second language, because it is of no practical use to you. If you somehow want to remember the alphabet you'll just use you native one (unless you're from a place that uses a different alphabet). It's one of those things you'd only know if you've learned the language as your first language.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

No poo poo, that's why I asked the question.

M. Propagandalf
Aug 9, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Bad Seafood posted:

Is it just me, or does this game remind anyone else of Another World? It's not quite the same game, but it has a similar alien atmosphere, stranger in a strange land.

Opening cinematic definitely gave me that OOTW vibe/chill at the start.

No regret at all with backing the game. My gripes with the game have already been mentioned: cursor way too difficult to see for the mouse/keyboard combo, and I absolutely despise the timing requirement for the hyper-dash. A cheat for the rhythm challenged, and removing the cooldown requirement for skills would be a godsend.

Hotline Miami spoiled me with the need to be able to immediately get back in the action after death. A two second recovery animation is now unbearable.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Speaking of the south: how do I go south? Those arrow-covered blocks after the blown out bridge, I have no idea what to do.

Also jeez the chain dash is not that hard to do. Slow tap slow tap slow tap (reach maximum rate) fast fast fast fast etc....

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
Yea I had a lot of trouble with the chain dash until I learned just how slow the first couple dashes had to be and then the rhythm increases (although still not fast enough that you can't spam). Once you learn it, it's really consistent; my biggest hurdle was trying to dash too fast to start off. I'm sure it's easier to control with a controller than with the mouse.

The arrow blocks are lowered when the corresponding directional area that they point gets completed. This means the south area has to be done last.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

strangemusic posted:

Speaking of the south: how do I go south? Those arrow-covered blocks after the blown out bridge, I have no idea what to do.

Also jeez the chain dash is not that hard to do. Slow tap slow tap slow tap (reach maximum rate) fast fast fast fast etc....

You need to do the other areas first.

MisterFuzzles
Dec 5, 2009

We can't go back no more, but I suppose we can go wherever we please.

strangemusic posted:

Have to beat the other 3 bosses first. Each arrow block corresponds to the respective area they are pointing.

Got the monoliths just need 2 more keys. Assuming its 4 per area, I wish I knew WHICH area I was missing them. I've had the final boss open for like 4 hours+ of played time.

Not even going to attempt to hunt down all gearbits.

MisterFuzzles fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 3, 2016

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I'm getting annoyed by the healing system. I know it's a resource management thing but when you're getting swarmed in a fight, it's kind of bullshit to have to do the room over again because your healing animation got you killed.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Well, like it or not, the answer is that you're not supposed to be able to heal while getting swarmed. If you're in that situation you're dead unless you manage to clear some room for yourself and that's just how it is.

Rose Booties
May 16, 2004

Attn: I am suit
I've noticed a couple places where a weird high pitched clicking noise mixes in with the soundtrack, specifically the long double staircase in the north and I think one of the underground areas in the west. Anyone know what that's about?

M. Propagandalf
Aug 9, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Rose Booties posted:

I've noticed a couple places where a weird high pitched clicking noise mixes in with the soundtrack, specifically the long double staircase in the north and I think one of the underground areas in the west. Anyone know what that's about?

I had that happen, and I chalked it up as a sound bug - it's the sound made from the critters that crystallize you. I had that noise follow me even when I warped out of the area. I think it goes away if you restart the game.

Specineff
Mar 10, 2005

Fun Shoe

Rose Booties posted:

It's like a Geiger counter noise whenever you're around the pink stuff.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Played this game a ton today, beat the east and north bosses. I'm really glad I beat the east boss first, because having the shotgun for the north boss made a huge difference.

I'm feeling starved for upgrade currency but maybe that's the point. I've gotten three upgrades so far: the chain-dash, the grenade, and deflecting bullets. Anything else particularly good that I should make a beeline for? Maybe a second grenade would be good.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I finished the game, but apparently missed a ton of stuff even though I spent the 2nd and 3rd levels running around like a headless chicken - that's what happens when you've got no sense of direction. It took me an entire zone to understand that the dash isn't invincible and I really shouldn't try to do sick Bayonetta dodges with that poo poo. However, after grasping that and figuring out how good the Shotgun is, I didn't have a ton of trouble with the game. It is a bit confusing to navigate, though, and the North boss is a dick if you choose to do him first (and for some reason that area looks like a starting area).

It's weird how it has a methodical combat system even though it throws a dozen enemies at you inside a small arena - the Dark Souls comparison isn't too bad, it punishes greed and reckless rushdown just like that game. It's also harder than I expected, but you revive fast enough (and move fast enough) that it didn't get tedious. Between that and chain dashing, I kinda wanna see what speedrunners do with the game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dias posted:

It is a bit confusing to navigate, though, and the North boss is a dick if you choose to do him first (and for some reason that area looks like a starting area).

I found everything other than the boss easier in the north, maybe just because the laser birds and bird-wizards weren't as tough for me to deal with as the ninja frogs and the big plant monsters. But the bosses are the total opposite. The east boss was no trouble at all, and the north one was a dick.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Harrow posted:

Played this game a ton today, beat the east and north bosses. I'm really glad I beat the east boss first, because having the shotgun for the north boss made a huge difference.

I'm feeling starved for upgrade currency but maybe that's the point. I've gotten three upgrades so far: the chain-dash, the grenade, and deflecting bullets. Anything else particularly good that I should make a beeline for? Maybe a second grenade would be good.

The charging sword, by which I mean the ability to hold the attack button to charge a swing. It does 5 hits of damage in an AoE around you and will wipe a pack of dudes if you can get enough space to charge and swing. It'll also allow you to really punish bosses when they're open.

The dashing strike is also nice. In this case, I mean the one from the sword master, not the stinger from the agility shop. The dashing strike does 2 damage to everything hit by your dash. Stinger can do up to 3 points, but you need to be able to wall bounce them or else it does only a single hit. Of course, if there's a pit nearby...

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

Dias posted:

It's weird how it has a methodical combat system even though it throws a dozen enemies at you inside a small arena - the Dark Souls comparison isn't too bad, it punishes greed and reckless rushdown just like that game. It's also harder than I expected, but you revive fast enough (and move fast enough) that it didn't get tedious. Between that and chain dashing, I kinda wanna see what speedrunners do with the game.

Haha, the speedrun thing is something I was thinking of as well, I wonder if we'll see it at the next agdq, or even the summer one?

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

blackflare posted:

Haha, the speedrun thing is something I was thinking of as well, I wonder if we'll see it at the next agdq, or even the summer one?

I would also love to see this game speedrun. Speedran? Speedrunned?

Also, East boss was not hard at all. The loving bird king guy in the library though augggh. So mean.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Plunked down a few hours today finally. Game is still great. Killed the North, East and West bosses. I'll play some more later, but mannnnnnn. Game is good.

North Boss

East Boss

West Boss <---- this was the hardest fight and I just wussed it out (with projectile reflection) and still was getting my rear end handed to me.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

Yeah west boss can combo you down really quickly. I found that after he finishes his jumpy attacks there's a pause, especially if you predict where he'll end up that's just long enough to get in a charged slash and get out. It's kind of risky but makes the fight quick, win or lose. I definitely wouldn't fight him without at least one of the shotty, the charge slash, or bullet reflection.

I beat the game, not going to go for 100% for now.
I liked it overall, but I'm satisfied.
Upgrade your shotgun before the end folks.

The dash either needs to have just a little invincibility at startup or it should be possible to just mash out the multi dash, I don't see the point of forcing a timing minigame when there's so much else going on when you really need the mobility. Fighting the controls should not be part of the difficulty, also, I would like to be able to smash into walls hilariously with as little effort as possible.

Minor final boss mechanics: I ended up rushing the final boss with close range shotgun blasts and charged sword attacks to force it through phases as fast as possible. Still took quite a few tries. I really dislike how before it restarts the main pattern it charges multiple times, and if one charge hits the next one is guaranteed to hit which will kill you from anything but full health. Still, one of the better fights in the game, I had a really good time learning it. Worst boss is either the Scythe guy or the archer.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
I beat the west boss first, because i went that way first and it seemed like the sort of game where one refuses to accept defeat. This was profoundly unwise.

Really though, his pattern isn't that hard, just brutally, brutally punishing if you ever make even a tiny slip. Also, you can bait his sword strikes into destroying the adds before he unfreezes them, which makes it... doable if you're short of upgrade bits or shotgun.

I actually want to talk about him for a sec, because, having seen him like a hundred goddamn times, i really came to appreciate exactly what they were doing there. More than either the north or east bosses, i think West Boss is the culmination of everything the area before him has. He's got A powered-up combo version of the spear-cats' slash, but ultimately, it works the same. There's a wind-up tell, and as soon as you see it, the first slash is going to land exactly where you were when he started it, and once he's done moving you have a window to get a punch in. He has a powered-up version of the gun-cats' guns. He has a bigger version of the crystal golems' spike shield and shockwave. You've seen and dealt with every one of these things getting to him.

But lastly, it even uses the environmental effects of the guys frozen in crystal strewn about the level: when those crystals get destroyed (and you'll see them get destroyed from trapspikes, even if you don't directly smash them), they get shattered, not freed. That's the clue to do something about the adds instead of just dying twenty times because absolutely gently caress trying to fight King Murderking AND his minions at the same time.

But then the thing you get for beating him was utterly underwhelming, so i 100% recommend doing any, or every, other boss first. Appreciation for design is probably not worth the RSI.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Ceebees posted:

Really though, his pattern isn't that hard, just brutally, brutally punishing if you ever make even a tiny slip. Also, you can bait his sword strikes into destroying the adds before he unfreezes them, which makes it... doable if you're short of upgrade bits or shotgun.

I discovered that on accident and felt pretty proud of myself. That's how I started most of my attempts. Once you figure out the cadence and the distance it can be done easily.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I'm kind of surprised the last arena challenge was just mixed enemies rather than a boss rush. A way to refight the bosses without just starting the game over would be nice.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
My complaint is that the images of costumes when you find 'em suggest that they'll change your robot and sword, but they don't

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

^^^^^^^^
You change your robot on the left side and the cloak on the right. Dunno about sword.

Now I've reached the point of the game where I'm trying to scour everything for more triangles and keys. The real Hyper Light Drifter starts here. :v:

Here have some more boss fights all from the South region:

Miniboss #1

South Boss

Miniboss #2

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

8-bit Miniboss posted:

You change your robot on the left side and the cloak on the right. Dunno about sword.

HOLY GUAC

The swords are in the darn middle

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This game has the longest credit screen ever holy poo poo. Im just gonna let it run in the background. 10 minutes in and its only into the Js in the kickstarter backers.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Larry Parrish posted:

This game has the longest credit screen ever holy poo poo. Im just gonna let it run in the background. 10 minutes in and its only into the Js in the kickstarter backers.

You can just hold down and scroll it super fast, and then hold up and go back to it if you wanna find your own name, which is kinda clever.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

It even displays the up and down arrows very clearly in the lower right corner. Are people staring that intently at the actual credits that they miss them or what?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Amppelix posted:

It even displays the up and down arrows very clearly in the lower right corner. Are people staring that intently at the actual credits that they miss them or what?

Its still not very fast

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Larry Parrish posted:

Its still not very fast

What? It went by in less than a minute when I held down the button.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Does this game have multiple endings or anything beyond collectibles to find? I've activated all the towers and found four required shards from each zone, plus a few extra, but I haven't found all of the shards to unlock the doors inside the zones, nor have I found all the keys for the secret doors. I'm just curious what I'll miss if I proceed on to the final boss? If it's only collectibles I'll save it for a future replay.

Also this game really exceeded my expectations. I'd been counting on Salt and Sanctuary to be my filler game while waiting for DS3, but it was a bit disappointing... fortunately this game has more than fit the bill. Great combat, fun exploration, really tightly paced and balanced.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
How long is this game?

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

It took me 11 hours and I didn't get all the secrets and items and stuff, maybe 75-80%. It's a good length for it I think. That said I could totally go for more.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Megasabin posted:

How long is this game?

Took me 7 skipping almost all secrets/extra areas and not counting NG+ of course

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Blacktoll posted:

I'm happy that this game is doing well it looks cool. But let's not call it a tour de force the story is absent at best and the controls are a hindrance.

for a minute I thought this post was about dark souls heh.
So far I've been enjoying the game, though the most deaths have been from crushy blocks or those spike trap things. Sometimes the dash will just not push me past a platforming thing and it's a wasted block of life.

It's interesting that people thought the West boss was toughest because purely by chance that was the first one I've beaten so far, didn't have any upgrades. Just tried to beat him as fast as I could before reinforcements piled up, died about 4 times trying to get the hang of it. What uogrades are recommend, I have maybe 6 little upgrade tokens so far.

Highline
Mar 28, 2009

MinibarMatchman posted:

for a minute I thought this post was about dark souls heh.
So far I've been enjoying the game, though the most deaths have been from crushy blocks or those spike trap things. Sometimes the dash will just not push me past a platforming thing and it's a wasted block of life.

It's interesting that people thought the West boss was toughest because purely by chance that was the first one I've beaten so far, didn't have any upgrades. Just tried to beat him as fast as I could before reinforcements piled up, died about 4 times trying to get the hang of it. What uogrades are recommend, I have maybe 6 little upgrade tokens so far.

For me the charge attack and the insta-dash were definitely the best upgrades. The grenade is pretty drat useful too. After those three I didn't find any of them super useful but the charge and insta-dash seem pretty much necessary.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

Bullet reflection is extremely helpful in some areas.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Do you need an upgrade to do the chain-burner platforming sections or am I just missing something about the moveset?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Christ, the west boss is an asskicker. I can't seem to dodge his swings consistently at all. Deflecting his shots is easy enough, but as soon as he starts swinging that sword I take at least one hit.

• Locked thread