Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

MinibarMatchman posted:

It's interesting that people thought the West boss was toughest because purely by chance that was the first one I've beaten so far, didn't have any upgrades. Just tried to beat him as fast as I could before reinforcements piled up, died about 4 times trying to get the hang of it. What uogrades are recommend, I have maybe 6 little upgrade tokens so far.

Short list of good upgrades in order of usefulness, according to me:

Chain Dash
(First) Grenade
Charge Attack (the one you hold the button down for)
Reflecting Slash (This one is amazing but during the beginning parts nothing really shoots at you that much so it's lower down)
Blocking Dash
Dash Attack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I think the East boss is easy purely for player catharsis, because holy crap those ninja frogs are awful, awful people.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Is there a reason for all the Evangelions in the art?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Giants who apparently populated that part of the world before Something Very Bad happened to them. You find their corpses all over the place, and they've been dead long enough to merge with the landscape.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

So basically the world was all otaku...and then ended...

Did the creators rip off any other animes for their game?

Lexusbeat
Jul 8, 2008

Space Hamlet posted:

My complaint is that the images of costumes when you find 'em suggest that they'll change your robot and sword, but they don't

They do. Use the different costume consoles next to the cloak one.
Edit: posted on a old page, dumb.

Lexusbeat fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 3, 2016

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

It's not Evangelion, it's Nausicaa, the same thing that Eva paid homage to. See this or this for the most obvious visual references

Chev fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 3, 2016

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Harrow posted:

Christ, the west boss is an asskicker. I can't seem to dodge his swings consistently at all. Deflecting his shots is easy enough, but as soon as he starts swinging that sword I take at least one hit.

Oxxidation posted:

I think the East boss is easy purely for player catharsis, because holy crap those ninja frogs are awful, awful people.

gently caress 'em, hit them with upgraded Rifle. Rifle owns bones. As for west boss: I found that the key is to economize your movement and just slow it down. You need less movement than you think to avoid the slashes, and if you cock up a chain dash he'll always hit you.

Also hahahaha I finally beat the loving North boss! The last phase is a total crapshoot though: bosses with disco floor mechanics (see also: Weldar from Banjo-Tooie) are always terrible.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Chev posted:

It's not Evangelion, it's Nausicaa, the same thing that Eva paid homage to. See this or this for the most obvious visual references

Anno was the animator for Nausicaa's god scenes.

But no, I'm referring to this type of thing

edit; nvm. answered my own question, HLD dev says Eva was a source for the imagery in an interview.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The design of the faces is way more Eva (though to be fair the helmetless god warriors look similar), but the being dead for centuries and merging with the landscape is very Nausicaa.

Apocalypse via geometric symbols in the sky is very Eva as well, while we're at it.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

But no, I'm referring to this type of thing

Which is why I posted a link to an article featuring this, which is the inspiration behind those.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I find this game interesting but ultimately I wasn't into it. I think games are doing themselves a disservice by billing them as some sort of hybrid of more popular games.

I guess it's the trap of being an indie games and not having someone who is able to write well. To be able to express that they share themes more succinctly would behoove it.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Chev posted:

Which is why I posted a link to an article featuring this, which is the inspiration behind those.

I'd say he's familiar since he knows Anno was the animator for the god warriors. The designs in HLD do resemble the Evas more, and if the creator himself says he got them from Eva...

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
god why the gently caress can i not get past the bird wizard boss in North ugh

i am bad at video games

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Admiral Bosch posted:

i am bad at video games

I was stuck on him forever, so I left and did the east and west areas and got a bunch of new abilities and health. Went back and stomped the bird first try. He's way easier with charge attacks, and dash attacks with dash chains.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
This game gets really frustrating for all the wrong reasons. I earlier ran into a bug in the west where after running into the drifter and having him mark my map, I'd die, respawn in the same room and have him mark my map again. And that's just what he did, now I have 3 quest icons stacked above one another for each of the marks he made in that area. The worst part is, after marking it for the third time he died, which I assume is supposed to happen when you meet him in the last area. I'm assuming he's not going to show up in the other areas to mark my map. Has this happened to anyone else? I'm thinking I should probably restart the game before I go any further.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I had that same bug, he keeps showing up and then promptly keels over dead, giving you his outfit each time.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
Am I missing something? There are doors in each area marked with all four diamond-sections, and even though I've activated all 4 sections in the area I'm unable to open them.

I've also gone through 2 areas pretty thoroughly and have only 1 chip for the key doors. Either they show up much later in the game or they are very well hidden.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Blisster posted:

Am I missing something? There are doors in each area marked with all four diamond-sections, and even though I've activated all 4 sections in the area I'm unable to open them.

I've also gone through 2 areas pretty thoroughly and have only 1 chip for the key doors. Either they show up much later in the game or they are very well hidden.

You're looking for triangle pieces to open those doors.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Blisster posted:

Those doors are actually marked with eight diamond sections, not four - the diamond itself and the square at the edges. They're optional and usually have guns or outfits behind them.

You only need 3 diamond segments to complete a zone, since the boss door is always behind a 3-segment door someplace.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Admiral Bosch posted:

i am bad at video games

I beat him first with no upgrades. The trick is he has no direct attacks except summoning birds if you count that... So you just have to memorize his 3 attack patterns and then watch the floor instead of the boss.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So I recently got this, An oddball that has happened a few times that nearly kills me. It will do the "You won!" flourish and pan over to the recently unlocked thing while I cant move... While there are still enemies alive. Like a rifleman, or a ninja star throwing bastard, and then I have to scramble to avoid getting killed as soon as control is returned to me and the camera pans back down.

The Ninja Frogs wouldn't be nearly as big a danger to my terrible reflexes if not for the fact they don't flinch when you slash them, so my leading cause of ninja frog damage is misjudging being able to finish them off before they bust out a throwing star right as they die.

I'm expecting as the game goes on, my leading cause of death won't be chain knockdowns or "whoops that destructible mushroom takes up slightly more room than it appeared to, blocking your intended dodge".

Still, overall it's looking pretty nice. I've yet to hit up any bosses I admit. Finally gonna take a pitstop back at town to grab that chain dodge as my first upgrade because that would help quite a bit, and also seems to be mandatory for a fire platforms puzzle to be accomplished.

Huge initial "Oh right, I too can be good at videogames!" moment was remembering to ever use my gun. "Hmm, these enemies have more than 3 hitpoints, and I only have a 3 swing sword combo-oh right :doh:"

EDIT: Also I can only imagine the playtesting on the dashing between platforms, because that's been working perfectly so far. While it's such a small thing, it's also the kind of thing that's a complete bitch in so many games. So it working so smoothly is a surprisingly big deal for me.

EDIT 2: It is physically impossible for me to not gently caress up the button rhythm of chain dashing eventually. I guess 50ish will be my top score and whatever happens when you fill that bar in the dash shop can just remain a mystery.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Apr 4, 2016

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Bugblatter posted:

I'd say he's familiar since he knows Anno was the animator for the god warriors. The designs in HLD do resemble the Evas more, and if the creator himself says he got them from Eva...

Every scene and bit of background featuring the giants in HLD can be put directly in parallel with the warrior gods for Nausicaa but it's OK if you've only seen Eva.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Chev posted:

Every scene and bit of background featuring the giants in HLD can be put directly in parallel with the warrior gods for Nausicaa but it's OK if you've only seen Eva.

I know the entire manga and movie by heart dude, and the other guy knows it too. We've both said as much, I even said that the giants become part of the landscape is particularly Nausicaa-esque. You're not impressing anyone, it's one of the most famous films in anime history, and if anything Ghibli is more mainstream than Eva.

All of that doesn't change the fact that the game designer said he got it from Eva, and the designs in the game do more closely resemble the Eva designs. It can be traced back to Miyazaki... and further back if you want to play that game, but the direct reference as stated by the designer is Eva.

Edit: I mean, I wish the developer had said he was inspired by Nausicaa because Nausicaa owns and Eva is poo poo, but this is the world we live in.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Apr 4, 2016

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Chev posted:

of all the things to be smug at people over, you're choosing anime?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Chev posted:

You missed the point, but nbd, I didn't mean to derail the thread so badly

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Bugblatter posted:

I know the entire manga and movie by heart dude, and the other guy knows it too. We've both said as much, I even said that the giants become part of the landscape is particularly Nausicaa-esque. You're not impressing anyone, it's one of the most famous films in anime history, and if anything Ghibli is more mainstream than Eva.

All of that doesn't change the fact that the game designer said he got it from Eva, and the designs in the game do more closely resemble the Eva designs. It can be traced back to Miyazaki... and further back if you want to play that game, but the direct reference as stated by the designer is Eva.

Edit: I mean, I wish the developer had said he was inspired by Nausicaa because Nausicaa owns and Eva is poo poo, but this is the world we live in.

I actually do wanna play that game, if you don't mind. I've been seeing a lot of this "science world blew up and now it's fantasy world" aesthetic lately, and I dig it, and the furthest back I've been able to trace it is to Ghibli but that doesn't seem like it could be the point of origin. I'm curious.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

West and North cleared of the triangles and their associated challenge dungeons (gently caress West's challenge dungeon). I'll clear East and South tomorrow and maybe move onto the endgame. We'll see.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Space Hamlet posted:

I actually do wanna play that game, if you don't mind. I've been seeing a lot of this "science world blew up and now it's fantasy world" aesthetic lately, and I dig it, and the furthest back I've been able to trace it is to Ghibli but that doesn't seem like it could be the point of origin. I'm curious.

The next direct step back is the French comic book artists of the '60s and '70s, most notably Jean "Moebius" Giraud. Miyazaki has said he wrote and designed Nausicaa while under Giraud's influence and it's pretty obvious, especially in the manga. In the interview where he talks about it, Miyazaki says says he discovered Giraud through the comic Arzach, but he definitely pulled a lot of imagery from The Hermetic Garage as well.

Otomo was also heavily influenced by Giruad, and in the west his comics The Long Tomorrow and L'Incal were heavy influences on Blade Runner, Alien, and The 5th Element. Guy's fingerprints are all over sci-fi and fantasy all over the globe over the last several decades.

If you google "Miyazaki Moebius" you'll find a bunch of stuff about the influence on had on the other and their mutual appreciation. They had a joint expo in Paris several years back and did several interviews together during its promotion and published a coffee table art book together.

Moebius drew a lot from older sci-fi pulp serials, and there were a lot of sci-fi fantasy novels set after a sci-fi collapse in the 60s and 70s (I know Miyazaki was also very inspired by Ursula LeGuin's short stories and novels), but he's more or less the starting point aesthetically. His aesthetic style draws a lot from Winsor McCay, but mostly in terms of color and geometry. McCay didn't do sci-fi.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Apr 4, 2016

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
STFU about the anime you think a scene sort of looks like you freaking dweebs

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone able to tell me if its just me when I see you pull out a module that I immediately think back to THQ's Space Marine, where you frequently mess around with a little cylinder that goes in a hole and it glows? Anyone?

M. Propagandalf
Aug 9, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Beat the final boss. Will have to do another run to go after secrets.

Did anyone back the game at the $10 level? I thought I'd have access to the alternate drifter, but I don't have the option for it.

As a stupid aside, I imagine the dog telepathically biding farewell to the MC with, "Go on Homer Drifter! Find your soul mate!"

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

M. Propagandalf posted:

Beat the final boss. Will have to do another run to go after secrets.

Did anyone back the game at the $10 level? I thought I'd have access to the alternate drifter, but I don't have the option for it.

As a stupid aside, I imagine the dog telepathically biding farewell to the MC with, "Go on Homer Drifter! Find your soul mate!"

Alternate drifter was $75 tier and up only.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Bugblatter posted:

The next direct step back is the French comic book artists of the '60s and '70s, most notably Jean "Moebius" Giraud. Miyazaki has said he wrote and designed Nausicaa while under Giraud's influence and it's pretty obvious, especially in the manga. In the interview where he talks about it, Miyazaki says says he discovered Giraud through the comic Arzach, but he definitely pulled a lot of imagery from The Hermetic Garage as well.

Otomo was also heavily influenced by Giruad, and in the west his comics The Long Tomorrow and L'Incal were heavy influences on Blade Runner, Alien, and The 5th Element. Guy's fingerprints are all over sci-fi and fantasy all over the globe over the last several decades.

If you google "Miyazaki Moebius" you'll find a bunch of stuff about the influence on had on the other and their mutual appreciation. They had a joint expo in Paris several years back and did several interviews together during its promotion and published a coffee table art book together.

Moebius drew a lot from older sci-fi pulp serials, and there were a lot of sci-fi fantasy novels set after a sci-fi collapse in the 60s and 70s (I know Miyazaki was also very inspired by Ursula LeGuin's short stories and novels), but he's more or less the starting point aesthetically. His aesthetic style draws a lot from Winsor McCay, but mostly in terms of color and geometry. McCay didn't do sci-fi.

Thank ya, interesting stuff to look into. LeGuin definitely came to my mind, but I couldn't think of anything direct.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
"Dead or sleeping gods litter the landscape" is in fantasy fiction as far back as "the night land" which was published in like 1920.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

Section Z posted:

EDIT 2: It is physically impossible for me to not gently caress up the button rhythm of chain dashing eventually. I guess 50ish will be my top score and whatever happens when you fill that bar in the dash shop can just remain a mystery.

A gear bit at 100.

A costume set if you cheat and use a macro.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ceebees posted:

A gear bit at 100.

A costume set if you cheat and use a macro.

Or your spacebar.

I zoned out and got 800 on my first try.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Beat the frogland boss. Definitely agree that there are some really frustrating things about the controls--seems multi-dash loves to just gently caress up at integral moments. Also HATED for the previous crystal-world boss when the camera would follow HIM and I'd be at the top of the screen getting hosed by unseen poo poo.

Is it just me or do you have to tap 3 times just to attack twice? I feel like there's a stiff delay with certain actions if you don't mash slash, but on the contrary you have to be very precise with the dash. It's maddening and the Dark Souls comparison rings true for me if only because of the bullshit stunlocks and janky control. I'm enjoying the game on the whole but idk why it can't be smoother in terms of the control.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

I heard a lot of complaints about the Scythe boss and Archer boss, and ended up getting them both after like one try. The scythe guy drops like a rock if you use the shotgun as he approaches and dash strike behind him - I don't feel like the dash strike gets enough love in general, it's my favourite thing in the game possibly.

The black phantom/bullet hell dude can GTFO though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Admiral Bosch posted:

i am bad at video games

i had real trouble with that one. i think my problem was that i was really trying to go aggressive and wind up eating an exploding floor tile. once i played it a little more cool by wailing on him mainly when he's in the center summoning his bird bros and focusing on surviving when he's doing the exploding tiles i had more success. once you push him to the phase where he's exploding an alternating column of tiles he gets easier because it's a pretty easy pattern to dodge. at that point i plunked down his remaining health with the default gun.

• Locked thread