Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

Not a single bad match on this card, not even an indifferent one. Goddamn does NXT own.

Make a case for Aries/Corbin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

RacistGuidingLight posted:

Corbin has been doing amazing work recently with his anti-indies character, and I, personally, will be cheering him to send that nerd back to Ring of Honor.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Say yeah

We go hard.
All Day All Night
All my brahs are the people who are ready to fight

say yeah

:yeah:

Revival vs. AA is my most anticipated match of the weekend. I saw them put on an insane match at a house show. I can't even imagine what they are gonna do for Takeover.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Corbin's managed to find both a character that works (big timin' athlete who hates the indy darlings that come through NXT) and has improved a LOT in the ring, probably because of working with Joe. Working with Aries could definitely take him to another level because I've seen Aries get watchable matches out of bottom of the barrel talent (worse than Corbin) in TNA.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."
I put the Nakamura hype video package up on youtube in case any of you missed it on NXT this week. It's awesome and I can't believe WWE didn't put it up somewhere already themselves.

One would think they would want to advertise to people who don't know instead of to people who are probably already in the know. Sell the network to non subscribers, ya dummies.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Demtor posted:

I put the Nakamura hype video package up on youtube in case any of you missed it on NXT this week. It's awesome and I can't believe WWE didn't put it up somewhere already themselves.

One would think they would want to advertise to people who don't know instead of to people who are probably already in the know. Sell the network to non subscribers, ya dummies.

Video is blocked

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Jenny Angel posted:

Oh yeah, agreed 100%. I feel like calling them a throwback is a slight disservice because while they're definitely hugely indebted to the Minnesota Wrecking Crew, etc., they combine that old-school no-frills asskicker approach with contemporary spots in a way that's really fun. Like, they do a flapjack/codebreaker combo as their finisher, that's not exactly 80's wrestling there.
80s tag teams always had a devastating double team finisher though. Granted the Codebreaker wasn't in heavy use at the time, but it's an inverted lungblower which has been around a good while longer.

quote:

The one thing that makes me sad about the NXT tag division right now is that nobody ever calls the names of the tag finishers. Like, Wikipedia tells me that the Revival's finisher is called The Shatter Machine and American Alpha's is called Grand Amplitude, which are both super cool over-the-top names. Is it too much to ask for Young Boy Tom to shout one of those names excitedly?
This bugs me a lot too, Corey's been reduced to calling them "And there it is!" because I think they're trying to come up with new names since they haven't mentioned either one in months.

quote:

Yeah
Yeah

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Senerio posted:

Corbin has been doing amazing work recently with his anti-indies character, and I, personally, will be cheering him to send that nerd back to Ring of Honor.

Fair

flashy_mcflash posted:

Corbin's managed to find both a character that works (big timin' athlete who hates the indy darlings that come through NXT) and has improved a LOT in the ring, probably because of working with Joe. Working with Aries could definitely take him to another level because I've seen Aries get watchable matches out of bottom of the barrel talent (worse than Corbin) in TNA.

I wouldn't know about the TNA stuff and most of my exposure to him was the end of his ROH run about seven years ago, which sucked to high heaven.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Shatter Machine is my favorite move name. I wish they'd use it.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I've been rock hard for Revival v AA since they teased it being the Dusty Classic final. That match is gonna loving own.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

sticklefifer posted:

80s tag teams always had a devastating double team finisher though. Granted the Codebreaker wasn't in heavy use at the time, but it's an inverted lungblower which has been around a good while longer.

Oh sure, I don't mean to imply that those teams didn't have sick finishers. I just feel like catching an airborne opponent with a codebreaker is a little more on the "flashy and athletic" end of a really cool finisher and a little less on the "holy poo poo that guy's dead now" end than, say, a spike piledriver.

NickRoweFillea posted:

Shatter Machine is my favorite move name. I wish they'd use it.

It's definitely at or near the top of the "wrestling moves that sound like JRPG weapons/attacks" tier list.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I wouldn't know about the TNA stuff and most of my exposure to him was the end of his ROH run about seven years ago, which sucked to high heaven.

I've never seen any of his ROH work but most of the time he was in TNA he was one of the only reasons to unironically watch TNA.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."

Jenkem Delivery posted:

Video is blocked

Plays fine for me. Both at home and at work.

I am curious as to whether or not WWE gets this pulled down though.

Edit: Sure enough. WWE copyright claim. Blocks it in 228 countries. Wow. God forbid they get free advertising for an event very little people outside of the WWE network even care about.

Demtor fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 1, 2016

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
put that poo poo on DailyMotion they don't give a gently caress

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Jenny Angel posted:

Oh sure, I don't mean to imply that those teams didn't have sick finishers. I just feel like catching an airborne opponent with a codebreaker is a little more on the "flashy and athletic" end of a really cool finisher and a little less on the "holy poo poo that guy's dead now" end than, say, a spike piledriver.

I dunno. Rockers, LoD, Demolition, and even Power & Glory had arguably much flashier finishers. Rockers obviously because they were a flashy high flying team anyway, but not so much on the other guys despite all having top rope finishers. I consider Revival's more in the vein of the Hart Attack if anything.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Ticketmaster apparently just (?) sent an email out to ticket-holders saying the show will start at 8:30 local time, so I'm reaaaally hoping that Samson/Crews is going to be taped as a preshow match, even if it's a lame way to get started :v:

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

They'd probably do a TV taping (at least a few matches) before the live event like they did a few months ago, no?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

last couple shows they announced that stuff pretty far in advance, IIRC. Figured there was a chance they skipped it tonight because it's the same building as Axxess and they have to get it torn down/set up, which is the reason for the late start time in the first place

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

abraham linksys posted:

put that poo poo on DailyMotion they don't give a gently caress

Good call. Done.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
Tonight is my first time going to a NXT show live. I still can't believe I am going to get to see Nakamura live, much less his WWE debut (or even utter those words together).

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I love that The Revival wear not-Ribera jackets

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
This is a good Takeover with a good card and good matches. gently caress man, I'm even looking forward to seeing Corbin.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

NickRoweFillea posted:

I love that The Revival wear not-Ribera jackets

They should wear orange zebra stripe Zubas though.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

sticklefifer posted:

They should wear orange zebra stripe Zubas though.

I am wearing a pair of those right now.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Demtor posted:

Good call. Done.

this is seriously awesome

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Hope all the matches that are great on paper live up to their potential. I'm betting at least one will underperform and am hoping Bayley doesn't do the Sami Zayn "constantly sell like a fish out of water" routine. Hell, I'm hoping Zayn doesn't do it. I'm realizing that it makes his opponent look kind of bad.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

This totally has the potential to be the best Takeover so far. Scrolling down the fight card and there's just so much to be excited about. I've been hyped about Bayley/Asuka for months, but there's like 3 or 4 more matches that could equal it tonight. I wish it was going on last though, as I think the Joe/Balor match will be solid but unspectacular.

E: also hyped for some pre show Mauro.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I don't know how to feel about Bayley/Asuka. I am excited to see the match and I'm sure it will be great, but at the end there one of them will lose, or the other will, and I don't want either to happen.

LanceBurrito
Jan 6, 2013

flashy_mcflash posted:

They'd probably do a TV taping (at least a few matches) before the live event like they did a few months ago, no?

Not 100%, but I think they're doing TV tomorrow.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Pretty much the whole Wrestling World is in Dallas will be interesting to see who is in the crowd as guests or people doing a "Kanna".

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

In London they filmed a few matches (AA / VV / BAMF / Hype Bros 8-man tag, Samson's debut) but held off on the bulk of new TV til the next day.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Basic Chunnel posted:

In London they filmed a few matches (AA / VV / BAMF / Hype Bros 8-man tag, Samson's debut) but held off on the bulk of new TV til the next day.

yeah apparently they're gonna be taping a lot at Axxess today/tomorrow?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I'm more excited about Takeover Dallas than I am Wrestlemania and I hardly watch NXT

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

NickRoweFillea posted:

I was just thinking this. The only one I see retaining is Finn with Bullet Club interference and a heel turn maybe?
But what're the odds that Finn doesn't get called up on Monday?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

projecthalaxy posted:

I don't know how to feel about Bayley/Asuka. I am excited to see the match and I'm sure it will be great, but at the end there one of them will lose, or the other will, and I don't want either to happen.

Same :ohdear:

At least Bayley losing means we might see her on Monday

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

CapnAndy posted:

But what're the odds that Finn doesn't get called up on Monday?

I don't know, and that's very exciting to me. They could have him retain with BC interference and have a new stable of bad guys to get dethroned, or they could have him lose and bring him up. Or Joe could show up on Raw. It'll be good regardless, I think!

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I am probably one of the only people still legitimately excited for all of this weekend's events but regardless I'm all on the Takeover hype train.

Choo choo, muhfuckas.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
i want asuka to paste bayley. I do not dislike bayley by any metric at all it is just what Needs To Be

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
I hope nobody steals my original joke about getting and then staying hype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

Is time yet is it time yet

~2 hours to go~

gently caress

• Locked thread