Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

comes along bort posted:

probably closer to 250, maybe 300

current model S packs top out around 300 not 400 as i thought so yeah somewhere between 250 and 300 sounds about right

there will likely be some improvement in li-ion technology over the next 18 months anyway that gives them more range

E: hello page 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Orange Cat posted:

Friend dropped 100k on one and let me drive it. Seemed neat and has some good conceptual stuff going for it. Had enough torque to be impressive, but not enough to want to spend three times as much as an Evo or STI. The ride height adjust was cool. It's an Apple early adopter car. It will probably help shape future generations of cars, ... But 100k ...

that's basically their business plan

sell expensive sports cars to rich fucks, use that to fund building expensive suvs to sell to not quite as rich fucks, use that to fund building a mid-range car to sell to upper middle class fucks

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
Elon explicitly stated that as their business plan at the unveiling heh :v:

i'm waiting for the coupe on the model 3 platform myself
back to AI with me

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

literally a fish posted:

so basically you stop every 300 miles for an hour, big woop, you were probably doing that anyway for lunch and poo poo

For the average commuter, that's 3-4 weeks between charges if you're too lazy to top it off every night.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
oh yeah it's absolutely not an issue for day to day use. most people don't refuel their gas car more than once every couple weeks and with range in the 250-300 mile region charging every night wouldn't be required

just mildly annoying for road trips, but before long the things will be self-driving and self-charging anyway

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
I've driven a tesla TANK ama.

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich

literally a fish posted:

so basically you stop every 300 miles for an hour, big woop, you were probably doing that anyway for lunch and poo poo

What, if I'm driving that sort of distance I've got no time to gently caress around for half an hour, I might stop to piss.
That said I'm the exact opposite of the target market for this garbage, maybe that's how the dandys that own these drive.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
i bought a 800 dollar farm truck today that probably gets six miles to the gallon its name is carter god bless

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
We're clearly not yet at the point where you can do a cross-country roadtrip with an electric car if you're in any kind of hurry. We'll get there, but not yet.

Most people don't do those very often, though. And if you're a two-car household like many households, you can have a Model 3 and a regular gas-powered SUV/CUV and all your bases are covered.

A point can also be made that if you're going on a holiday roadtrip you probably want to stop and smell the roses every few hours, so to speak. lots of cool places to check out.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

literally a fish posted:

We're clearly not yet at the point where you can do a cross-country roadtrip with an electric car if you're in any kind of hurry. We'll get there, but not yet.

Most people don't do those very often, though. And if you're a two-car household like many households, you can have a Model 3 and a regular gas-powered SUV/CUV and all your bases are covered.

A point can also be made that if you're going on a holiday roadtrip you probably want to stop and smell the roses every few hours, so to speak. lots of cool places to check out.

i drive a suburban 30 miles to work each day because I support the saudi kingdom

Orange Cat
Feb 26, 2013

comes along bort posted:

sell expensive sports cars to rich fucks, use that to fund building expensive suvs to sell to not quite as rich fucks, use that to fund building a mid-range car to sell to upper middle class fucks

My friend works a fairly poo poo low end job. He saved for like 2 years to buy one, with financing. So they are hitting more than just dumb rich idiots. He lives in a hovel and eats Mac and Cheese regularly. But he's got a 100k car. Shrug.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Orange Cat posted:

My friend works a fairly poo poo low end job. He saved for like 2 years to buy one, with financing. So they are hitting more than just dumb rich idiots. He lives in a hovel and eats Mac and Cheese regularly. But he's got a 100k car. Shrug.

dude's hood rich as gently caress

good on him for being able to save up like that on a crappy job. sucks he doesn't use his fiscal discipline to like save for retirement

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

Hector Beerlioz posted:

the guy's license plate was END OIL

*all components of the car's manufacture and recharge of battery depend entirely on oil*

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
I know the nerds in my office are excited as hell to get one but never will, with their meager salaries.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
i thought about reserving one until i saw that stupid ipad glued to the dash

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

vols bitch posted:

i drive a suburban 30 miles to work each day because I support the saudi kingdom

:america:

you could totally drive a model 3 though
you'd only have to recharge it every 3rd or 4th day even

Orange Cat posted:

priorities my man, statistically you'll spend more money on cars and car-related things than any one other category/thing throughout your lifetime so you might as well get good ones

that's probably kind of overkill though

E:

comes along bort posted:

I reserved one so I can drive it for 2 weeks and then flip it for profit to someone who's desperate to have one RIGHT NOW

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

comes along bort posted:

I don't think you need to be 'upper middle class' to afford a $35,000 car. Which is only slightly above average for a new vehicle in the US. And could be well below average depending on what kind of incentives there are where you live.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

literally a fish posted:

:america:

you could totally drive a model 3 though
you'd only have to recharge it every 3rd or 4th day even

yeah but im not poor and don't care about the gay earth :c00l:

Orange Cat
Feb 26, 2013

comes along bort posted:

This was by far the biggest issue I saw in my 20 minute drive / ride. It was pretty tacky.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
there's money not spent on gas, too, which helps if you finance - initial cost to buy is kinda high but running costs are pretty low

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Nathilus posted:

I've driven a tesla TANK ama.

how bad is it on mileage when you have to fry a bunch of infantry

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

crabcakes66 posted:

I don't think you need to be 'upper middle class' to afford a $35,000 car. Which is only slightly above average for a new vehicle in the US. And could be well below average depending on what kind of incentives there are where you live.

that's just the base model

the ones with extra battery capacity, super acceleration, etc i.e. the stuff people actually want are gonna run closer to 50-60k

it's meant to compete with the bmw 3 series

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
A friend dropped like 110k on one and I played with it. Main impressions were that it ha great acceleration and there's a legit thrill when you first let the car do the driving on the highway. Fucker drives better than most humans on the highway

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bishop posted:

A friend dropped like 110k on one and I played with it. Main impressions were that it ha great acceleration and there's a legit thrill when you first let the car do the driving on the highway. Fucker drives better than most humans on the highway

I'll probably cave when they program driving personalities into it. Auto drive like celebrities and poo poo.

Rakins
Apr 6, 2009

I test drove a model S and the sales lady is dressed up in a sexy leather racing suit and trys to gently caress you the whole ride, she blasted dave matthews crash and you can whip em to 100 without them complaining. She'll ask you if you wanna launch her in the parking lot.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bishop posted:

The auto drive feature is great given how californians suck at driving especially in different weather conditions.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Orange Cat posted:

Yeah sounds like they're hitting dumb idiots across the wealth spectrum

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

etalian posted:

The auto drive feature is great given how californians suck at driving especially in different weather conditions.

the auto drive doesn't work in heavy rain or fog. Also on mine it likes to confuse highway exits and the actually highway so it starts driving off the road then changes its mind a few seconds later which is really unnerving

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Base model no air conditioning, a/c is a $2k option.

All those Austin fucks bout to have a goooooooood time

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Jonny 290 posted:

Base model no air conditioning, a/c is a $2k option.

All those Austin fucks bout to have a goooooooood time

Well this explains why the model didnt have any air vents inside

PromethiumX
Mar 5, 2003
I can't wait until these morons realize that they will only get roughly 50% of the range on one of these when the temperature drops below freezing.

Tesla will be the next delorean.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
I see a tons of teslas driving around Madison these days. Cold doesn't seam to stop em.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Preoptopus posted:

I see a tons of teslas driving around Madison these days. Cold doesn't seam to stop em.

Actually, it does.

Soon as you get below freezing all EVs start to fall over. Tesla appears to have the best management, to a point, but then it gets stupid the fastest

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Jonny 290 posted:

Actually, it does.

Soon as you get below freezing all EVs start to fall over. Tesla appears to have the best management, to a point.

Interesting. I literally see them nearly every day now. I guess the last two winters haven't been too bad because it sure isn't stopping people from buying them.

PromethiumX
Mar 5, 2003

Preoptopus posted:

Interesting. I literally see them nearly every day now. I guess the last two winters haven't been too bad because it sure isn't stopping people from buying them.

The difference is that you are seeing the wealthy buy the Model S for a fun dick-waving toy. They still drive the 7 series BMW / Range Rover as a backup.

These people buying the model 3 are believing that they can legitimately replace their existing econobox. It's going to be awesome watching the entire country figure out how lovely battery technology still is in the coming years.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

A good way to scare your mom.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpaLgF1uLB8

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Preoptopus posted:

The S model was supposedly popular in Norway due to a package of incentives such as tax credits and also making EVs not have to pay government tolls.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Aralan posted:

how bad is it on mileage when you have to fry a bunch of infantry

Probably not that bad, you should be able to reacpture some energy from firing the 50cal and main gun, like you do with the brakes.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
i put everything into teslas stock recently and now im basically rich

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somuch_gravy
Oct 25, 2014

this place is good and not bad
i drove a 2016 malibu and i hate the big tablet

• Locked thread