Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Not having tactile controls in the cabin is the stupidest loving decision ever up there with putting a force-sensing non-moving flight stick in the F-16

But engineers are spergs that don't understand how humans work, which is why human factors psychology exists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
i've driven a tesla.... with thousands of volts :devil:

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Pretty sure the Tesla S has done well in the UK.

It's a big four-door GT (contradiction in terms, but we live in the age of the CLS, A7 etc), so the weight doesn't really hurt it when compared to the hulking, charmless sacks of poo poo produced by MB and VAG. In the UK market it stacks up very well price wise. A brand new RWD Tesla S "70D" is £47k, which sounds pretty good compared to the supercharged 3l V6 Jag XF, which is £50k with no options, plus presumably top-rate annual emissions taxation and ~30mpg in the real world. The 70D is only 3/10th of a second slower to 60.

Haven't driven one but I've been to one of their shops where they have a rolling chassis plus a couple of the actual cars, and they're nicely put together.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Justin Tyme posted:

Not having tactile controls in the cabin is the stupidest loving decision ever up there with putting a force-sensing non-moving flight stick in the F-16

But engineers are spergs that don't understand how humans work, which is why human factors psychology exists

Ive used one of those force sensing joysticks and they aren't that bad

Ive also used the tesla touch interface and it really is that bad. As in legit dangerous

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Saga posted:

Pretty sure the Tesla S has done well in the UK.

they should in a country size of roughly three american back yards. EVs are brilliant in that environment. No amount of money thrown at tesla or any EV will get you even halfway across the US in a reasonably nonstop manner, whereas the jag would eat it up and beg for more.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Jonny 290 posted:

they should in a country size of roughly three american back yards. EVs are brilliant in that environment. No amount of money thrown at tesla or any EV will get you even halfway across the US in a reasonably nonstop manner, whereas the jag would eat it up and beg for more.

Also the interior amd build quality is much, much better on the jag.

What a world where you can actually say the above sentence with a straight face

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Mange Mite posted:

Ive used one of those force sensing joysticks and they aren't that bad

Ive also used the tesla touch interface and it really is that bad. As in legit dangerous

I mean the tech behind them is cool but imagine if to steer your car instead of rotating the wheel you applied a torque to a non-moving steering wheel. It's bizarre and doesn't really make the pilot/driver any more effective vs the tradeoff of not having a sense of force scale.

...poo poo, that's genius, someone contact Tesla and tell them to add a force-sensing steering wheel.

a bag of dicks
Oct 20, 2015
lol check this out

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/does-any-else-regret-buying-a-model-x.65646/

they're delivering hand assembled prototypes of the 110k model x that have horrible flaws and fixing them as they go. gonna be hilarious when they try that with a 35k car that isn't a secondary toy for true believer rich fucks

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
ive been in a tesla a few times and once in one with autopilot and while the tech is cool the cars by themselves seem kind of ice cold and void of any personality and really dont do anything for me as someone who likes cars. autopilot, at least in new england, only works on the highways, otherwise on backroads without proper markings it constantly routes u into trees and people and then beeps at u to tell u that ur about to collide with them

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

So when we getting regular-rear end electric cars? Without the retarded giant ipad and automatic parking and poo poo.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

wayne curr posted:

So when we getting regular-rear end electric cars? Without the retarded giant ipad and automatic parking and poo poo.

When they don't need big heavy rear end batteries? :shrug:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

wayne curr posted:

never. according to elon musk and gm, conventional speedometers and common vehicle standards like "climate control vents" are fundamentally incompatible with electric cars and any EV with an actual speedometer bursts into green flame immediately

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

wayne curr posted:

actual carmakers sell them and have for a while. the nissan leaf, the kia soul ev, electric focus, bmw i cars, etc. soon there will be the new chevy bolt, and i think hyundai has one too

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mange Mite posted:

Also the interior amd build quality is much, much better on the jag.

What a world where you can actually say the above sentence with a straight face

A big congrats to the US government for indirectly helping to create a non-poo poo product.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

etalian posted:

A big congrats to the US government for indirectly helping to create a non-poo poo product.

ford got like the least bailout money though. though yeah they lost a lot of money bringing jaguar to the 20th century instead of being a joke like the rest of the british auto industry

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
I know a few people that have pre-ordered them which is weird. Pre-ordering a car? A car that won't be available for like 20 months?

Don't pre-order videogames, don't pre-order cars.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

a bag of dicks posted:

lol check this out

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/does-any-else-regret-buying-a-model-x.65646/

they're delivering hand assembled prototypes of the 110k model x that have horrible flaws and fixing them as they go. gonna be hilarious when they try that with a 35k car that isn't a secondary toy for true believer rich fucks

loll

a friend of mine was an early adopter model s buyer, and that thing was horrible at launch too. the giant touch screen that controls important parts of the car would freeze or crash, and the pop-out door handles stopped working and had to be serviced like 2-3 times. also at one point the headliner started falling off.

edit: also the paint was a joke. the finish looked like a drat football

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Apr 3, 2016

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Propaganda Hour posted:

I know a few people that have pre-ordered them which is weird. Pre-ordering a car? A car that won't be available for like 20 months?

Don't pre-order videogames, don't pre-order cars.

Tech industry weirdos just like waiting in lines for things.

Mange Mite posted:

loll

a friend of mine was an early adopter model s buyer, and that thing was horrible at launch too. the giant touch screen that controls important parts of the car would freeze or crash, and the pop-out door handles stopped working and had to be serviced like 2-3 times. also at one point the headliner started falling off.

Yeah early adopting is usually pretty bad for this reason. Usually takes a few years to polish the manufacturing and supplier side of things.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

etalian posted:

Yeah early adopting is usually pretty bad for this reason. Usually takes a few years to polish the manufacturing and supplier side of things.

my second gen tesla didnt give me any problems (beyond taking forever to fix) but several years in the interior, fit+finish, and paint are still crap. not even compared to other $100k cars but like compared to the rental hyundai i got

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Mange Mite posted:

loll

edit: also the paint was a joke. the finish looked like a drat football

Speaking of freezing, the popout handles are a neat idea I guess, but I can only imagine how aggravating they are if you live in an area where temperatures get to the point that your door can freeze shut

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

literally a fish posted:

so basically you stop every 300 miles for an hour, big woop, you were probably doing that anyway for lunch and poo poo

That's probably exactly what they think, too. I wonder if they've ever actually travelled more than that one road trip in college? I know the Flying J is a place I like to be for any longer than I actually have to be!

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

My Q-Face posted:

That's probably exactly what they think, too. I wonder if they've ever actually travelled more than that one road trip in college? I know the Flying J is a place I like to be for any longer than I actually have to be!

Yeah some of those supercharger stations are not in great areas, or are in areas wheee everything nearbby closes early and so at night you have to sit for an hour in your car which kind of sucks

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
vehicles of all kinds are lame we should just learn to fly and teleport and stuff

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mange Mite posted:

my second gen tesla didnt give me any problems (beyond taking forever to fix) but several years in the interior, fit+finish, and paint are still crap. not even compared to other $100k cars but like compared to the rental hyundai i got

I never found the Tesla interior trim to be attractive, you can tell it's appealing to startup types with all the touch screen and big ipad like interface for everything.

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Tesla owners, what's getting one of these serviced / repaired like? I imagine you've gotta go through Tesla?

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

rock rock posted:

Tesla owners, what's getting one of these serviced / repaired like? I imagine you've gotta go through Tesla?

What would you even need to do? There's a poo poo lot less moving parts in the engine and all the chassis drive train poo poo is probably serviceable anywhere.

I am going to wait until the future to get an electric car. When the mr fusion toilet comes out. So you can poo poo and piss for fuel. And that's somehow torque.

ClamdestineBoyster fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Apr 3, 2016

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
How much for the option that shocks my dick and balls whenever I give it some throttle or roll the windows down?

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

It's freaky being behind one of them. No exhaust, only noise coming from it is the tyres. Left me for dead as soon as we got to a straight. :(

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Mange Mite posted:

actual carmakers sell them and have for a while. the nissan leaf, the kia soul ev, electric focus, bmw i cars, etc. soon there will be the new chevy bolt, and i think hyundai has one too

yep. theres a Fiat EV that can be had for under $200 a month in some states with applicable tax breaks - another EV that prob a step up that also doesnt look like a joke is the VW e-Golf. so if u want an electric car the only thing holding u back now is ur fear of owning an electric car

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

What's the cleanup with these when say, you get T boned by an 18 wheeler?

Are they full of acidic gel that becomes a huge toxic spill?

No Mans Land
Feb 26, 2016

by Cowcaster

tardwrangler posted:

They burst into flames if the underside is punctured in any way.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
I've got a Tesla and the autopilot hates me and tries to murder me on the reg because I am so massively fail that even the circuit boards of a car can sense it.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I don't think electric cars are near the practicality of conventional cars but they're headed that way. Look at Tesla, they started with a very niche sports car, went to a much more useful luxury sedan, and are now going for a somewhat upscale but far more "normal" car. Every time EVs are in the news people go "BUT THIS ISN'T PRACTICAL THIS IS STUPID I AM VERY INSIGHTFUL". Well, yeah, everyone knows they're not there yet.

Justin Tyme posted:

I agree in general but that force moving stick is fairly common in fighters and works perfectly well. In the F-16 they did give it a bit of play to make it more intuitive but that's it.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

tardwrangler posted:

not exactly, theres just certain instructions responders must follow in order to not get fried...but the batterys are really hard to put out if on fire and even when out will keep reigniting itself for hours and hours which is a prob when having to deal with the burnt out husk of a Tesla afterwards

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

wayne curr posted:

later this year

Jonny 290 posted:

never. according to elon musk and gm, conventional speedometers and common vehicle standards like "climate control vents" are fundamentally incompatible with electric cars and any EV with an actual speedometer bursts into green flame immediately
check out the chevy bolt, basically a 200 mile BEV that's around 30~40k (<30k after rebates) with actual buttons for simple things like ac and media controls

(interior shot at 2:00 or so)
http://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/01/test-driving-the-new-the-chevrolet-volt-at-ces/

pre-production already started, will be going on sale later this year
http://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/03/chevrolet-bolts-are-about-to-start-rolling-off-the-production-line/

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Mariana Horchata posted:

yep. theres a Fiat EV that can be had for under $200 a month in some states with applicable tax breaks - another EV that prob a step up that also doesnt look like a joke is the VW e-Golf. so if u want an electric car the only thing holding u back now is ur fear of owning an electric car
there's also honda fit EV that looks exactly like the regular honda fit
and rav4 ev from toyota that's basically their half hearted attempt of saying they dont really need an EV due to their overall better mileage lineup, thus priced at a hilarious ~60k
besides those two and the fiat/vw mentioned earlier, seems like all the other manufacturers want distinguish their EV from regular cars by souping it up even though most of them share the same chassis eg. nissian leaf is basically a nissan versa

here's basically a list with all the hybrid-with-a-big-battery (green sticker) / full electric vehicles(white sticker)
http://driveclean.ca.gov/pev/Costs/Vehicles.php

oh yeah also pretty much all of the pure-battery cars will give you the fun, go-cart like acceleration due to the the engine, GM even went overboard with that and gave their tiny chevy spark 320+lb.ft @ 0 mph with some crazy gear ratio

crip drinkn milk
Jan 31, 2001

IS DOG VEGABLE?
My boss has a model s, it looks pretty sweet. I want the porsche mission e, plenty of time to save for it

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I cant afford that

I'm extremely poor

I live day to day not knowing what the future holds. I can barely feed my pet alligators

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Zzulu posted:

I cant afford that

I'm extremely poor

I live day to day not knowing what the future holds. I can barely feed my pet alligators

Seems like a problem that's going to solve itself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

rock rock posted:

It's a huge pain as they have no real dealer network. Just finding an approved shop was hard (only one in the area), and the shop was some tiny independent operation that took forever (nearly a month) just to do bodywork and paint. In the meantime i was driving a rental hyundai (which ironically had better build quality)

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Apr 3, 2016

• Locked thread