Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
did u like it? personally i hope they change the camera

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
additionally, im not sure what the point of the dodge roll is, cos it doesnt seem to have any invincibility frames or anything. i couldnt figure out the boss fight either, like how to avoid or defend against his attacks.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

i'm gonna play it soon, possibly stream it if that can be done

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

the boss fight at the end was fun

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

stream isn't wokring. sorry

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

tumor looking batty posted:

the boss fight at the end was fun

i think i missed something there. i couldnt avoid any of its attacks at all, were u supposed to be able to do that ?

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

https://www.twitch.tv/synthymesc its up now

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I.N.R.I posted:

i think i missed something there. i couldnt avoid any of its attacks at all, were u supposed to be able to do that ?

I think it's more like a dice roll if you're close so you can't rely purely on hitboxes.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

i didn't get a real handle on the combat til the boss fight, & you can definitely block/dodge his attacks. i think it even sets you up for a counter attack since i saw a "Hit ___ to Attack" after dodging

i'm fine with it overall and am thoroughly stoked for the full game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I.N.R.I posted:

additionally, im not sure what the point of the dodge roll is, cos it doesnt seem to have any invincibility frames or anything. i couldnt figure out the boss fight either, like how to avoid or defend against his attacks.

if you hold square whenever you see an enemy wind up you will auto dodge every attack

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

i played the old demo, Episode Duscae, and it was fun but the camera was really bad. in between they said they rebuilt the combat to be better but now its less fun and the camera is still bad so i dont know whats going on with FFXV

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

In Training posted:

i played the old demo, Episode Duscae, and it was fun but the camera was really bad. in between they said they rebuilt the combat to be better but now its less fun and the camera is still bad so i dont know whats going on with FFXV

What did they do to make it less fun?

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

In Training posted:

dunno. i saw this interview on siliconera though http://www.siliconera.com/2016/03/31/hajime-tabata-making-team-challenging-hd-era-final-fantasy-xv/

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

AHungryRobot posted:

What did they do to make it less fun?

Well in the new demo you fight one guy or a bunch of level 1 mooks. But the old demo has random encounters, levelling up, kill chains, combos and more fluid movement. But they said they did this new demo because the new combat system is a complete rewrite of the engine that powered the demo they released a year ago, which to my mind, means all they've been doing for years is generating art and cgi cutscenes. So idk. I'm gonna play it because I love the look of it and the ridiculous urban fantasy style they're going for but I really don't like the gameplay so far

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I.N.R.I posted:

I think you have to roll or hold square for different attacks, and some attacks you can only dodge by warping. Like the black hole I think you have to do the hold triangle sword grab thing. It was weird and kind of clunky a lot of the time I was getting hit I wasn't sure why.

In Training posted:

Well in the new demo you fight one guy or a bunch of level 1 mooks. But the old demo has random encounters, levelling up, kill chains, combos and more fluid movement. But they said they did this new demo because the new combat system is a complete rewrite of the engine that powered the demo they released a year ago, which to my mind, means all they've been doing for years is generating art and cgi cutscenes. So idk. I'm gonna play it because I love the look of it and the ridiculous urban fantasy style they're going for but I really don't like the gameplay so far

The mook battles sucked but then the boss battle felt like a totally different game so I hope it's more like that? Dunno why they did that

The game looks amazing though. There's a switch to fight the last boss again and I fought him during the day then when it was raining at night and it felt like 2 different locations entirely, the lighting and stuff feels done well even if the framerate jumps arounda bunch

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
qq. i was trying to play it like souls games, like just pressing the buttons instead of holding them. it worked on the normal enemies but then the boss just hit me with every single attack. i suppose i'll replay it tonight. i hope the full game has better combat. it is a good looking game but everythings kind of rough looking around the edges, u know? i remember 13-2 and LR being the same way

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all

I.N.R.I posted:

qq. i was trying to play it like souls games, like just pressing the buttons instead of holding them. it worked on the normal enemies but then the boss just hit me with every single attack. i suppose i'll replay it tonight. i hope the full game has better combat. it is a good looking game but everythings kind of rough looking around the edges, u know? i remember 13-2 and LR being the same way

same but this game feels way worse in a way. like a bad kingdom hearts

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all
I dont know if was the bad camera but the animations seemed bad aswell in this

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think its gay that they keep making console only FF games.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

I.N.R.I posted:

this happened to me too. I did beat the boss and the second harder version of the boss though. i think i'd have a better handle on it if I got a chance to do some regular battling beforehand of toy sword vs lv 1 nightmare over and over

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
Analogy: Imagine if the metal gear rising demo didn't let you parry until the blade wolf fight

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?snr=1_614_615_final-fantasy_12&term=Final+Fantasy

???

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I am aware that they recently ported a lot of them.

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all

Larry Parrish posted:

they said like 2 days ago they gonna look to porting it after console release so maybe you can play it in a year or two;s time

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

no they will not posted:

this happened to me too. I did beat the boss and the second harder version of the boss though. i think i'd have a better handle on it if I got a chance to do some regular battling beforehand of toy sword vs lv 1 nightmare over and over

i beat cos i dont think you can actually die to it. you get like a limit break type thing if it depletes your health to zero, or near zero. i promise im actually really good at videogames most of the time lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I.N.R.I posted:

i beat cos i dont think you can actually die to it. you get like a limit break type thing if it depletes your health to zero, or near zero. i promise im actually really good at videogames most of the time lol

Yeah you can't actually die in XV, if your health goes to zero it triggers your summon menu and the summon kills everything but you don't get XP for the fight. That's how it was in the first demo at least

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
carbuncle said something then did a flip and let me attack the iron giant 1000 times in a minute. thjanks carbuncle

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I named carbuncle "carbunkle"

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

In Training posted:

I named carbuncle "carbunkle"

someone told me the name sticks if you get the full game, is this true?? if so, bad news for my carbunkle named Ballz Cosby.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Larry Parrish posted:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

Yeah but they're continuing that they're probably gonna be ported from now on

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

Pretty sure I read how SquEnix's break even needs to be around 22M copies to offset the decade plus development cycle. Which is more than FFVII sold.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Antillese posted:

Pretty sure I read how SquEnix's break even needs to be around 22M copies to offset the decade plus development cycle. Which is more than FFVII sold.

hell, i know theyve sold at least one copy

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Antillese posted:

That can't be.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Antillese posted:

I think that was mistranslated

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

the frame rate takes a dive whenever theres hair on screen lol

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
whats going on with that radio

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

tumor looking batty posted:

I think that was mistranslated

No, I misremembered the number. But it was 10M units. FF7 sold 9.72. So still more than the biggest game in the series.

Citing sources this time. And for once it's not Wikipedia.

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/final-fantasy-xv-needs-10-million-sold-to-recoup-10-years-of-work

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

hell,k i'll buy 1 million copies to make sure they're 10% there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Antillese posted:

No, I misremembered the number. But it was 10M units. FF7 sold 9.72. So still more than the biggest game in the series.

Citing sources this time. And for once it's not Wikipedia.

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/final-fantasy-xv-needs-10-million-sold-to-recoup-10-years-of-work

Update: We've received a statement from Square Enix clarifying Tabata's comment.

We’d like to make a comment on the news reports that state Hajime Tabata, Director of Final Fantasy XV, commented that Final Fantasy XV needed to sell 10 million copies to recoup the investment at the press conference held yesterday in LA," a Square Enix spokesperson told USgamer. "We believe there was a communication problem during the conference. In fact, Tabata was referencing 10 million copies only as a high goal which the development team set to realize their ambition to make the ultimate Final Fantasy game. And the comment was never meant to be referred as a recoup line of the investment."

Take that!

• Locked thread