Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning

A page from the diary of the God Eater, The Arch traitor, They expressed in ideas, not words, I know you tried to read this - written on Three by the river/The limbs of the fourth/Delerium.

Like all good things, my time in this realm began with something being on fire. I'll admit, for a moment I thought I had been set ablaze myself -as it so happens, it appears this version of... whatever I've become can see what occurs around it from the smoke. It follows me like a bad sin, inescapable for even a moment, but it seems ultimately harmless. I do wonder, however - perhaps in another life I relied on smoke signals? Perhaps fire was my domain? In any case, I can see. I can see this strange, dammable... awfully familiar realm before me.

And within that realms, I find a group of interest where what seems to be the smoke's eye lays to rest - more like a ragtag group in a small town, but there's potential here. I wonder how many can/wiltwill be willing to return home. I will watch this colony for now, though - I have been lucky enough to find a hook into this realm, and it is one potentially filled with hate. Speaking of hatred, I should attempt to learn more about the other dark powers surrounding this realm - their experience will be very helpful.

A final note: it turns out godlike power does not produce godlike spelling. Work on ficin fixing that.

closing the diary, The god eater leered into the smoke at a poor, crying soul. A meal, perhaps? An entertainer by force, rather than choice? Or perhaps...
"Well this is interesting. A former servant of I admit, I forgot the name of that god - one of the upper echolons? I remember dislike, but why?, whose god let their lover die in the fire of the first church... Do I smell an oppurtunity for a three-in-one? Now if I remember, the way they did it was to focus on the misfortune, drive it to the forefront...Twist the messages and the truth...Drown them in the failure of their supposed friends, let it SPREAD, DROWN THEM IN NOTHING BUT THE FAILURE OF THEIR ALLIES, and let them - let me - claim this one's loyalty."

And so as the human cried in desperation, he turned to the stars. Away from the gods he once knew, away from the sky he once lived under - there must be something else. Something that will listen, something that will allow him to find vengeance against those who abandoned him, who let them die - and so the arch traitor answered, laughing all the while.

"And they remember nothing of their old god - darn. Their secrets could have been useful. Errors have been made." The arch traitor said, before turning attention to the recently converted agent. "In any case, my friend when or if I betray them it's going to be GREAT, I will need some things of you in order to help you me, maybe? exact revenge. So for now..."

And so, a dark tool joins the arsenal of The Arch Traitor:

quote:

Shun(Note: shorthand for "They who shunned the gods" - Is that too obvious?)
Origins aspect: Let down by their previous God
Subtle +1/Uncanny +2/Restless +2
Currently a Noddite, although the race will rarely matter in the fullness of time, 'Shun' is one manipulated by the Arch Traitor when something important is lost to the person. By redirecting their emotional weakness into blaming the gods, the soon-to-be agent looks for someone or something more, something beyond the gods, but the price of power (and method of acquirement) meddles with the memories of the new Shun. Let they who Shun their gods find their home in the arms of the Arch Traitor!

Finally, the Arch Traitor prepared a series of unmarked letters, letting them dissolve into the smoke into any odd or unnatural realms. While they could not follow, they could lead to answers, or dialogue. Within each letter is written a single word...
Hey.
With any luck, the responders would be willing to teach - and willing to learn.

((Notes: Two free invoke aspects remaining - one harbinger, one unnamed boost.))

Trollhawke fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Apr 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

Tales of Shun in the city - 1/?

Shun, as history would remember his kind, had lived in this city all of his life. As one of the Haven born locals, rather than an immigrant to the city, Haven had been most of what he knew, and what he loved.

Unfortunately for him, the gods did not love him. They let them die. His brother, his father, his sister - every single one of them were killed by the bastard which lit the church ablaze. And where were the gods when this occurred? Were they busy, lenient or simply apathetic? Had they done wrong in Haven, was there a more human cause?
It matters not.

What does matter, however, is finding out why this happened. Sympathy was easy to come by in the face of loss - and if he remembers the teachings correctly, that sympathy will lead to answers. Answers as to the dark side of Haven, the groups of men who are all guilty. Those who delayed the brigades, Those who let the medical teams be bribed - what was truth or illusion in his memories mattered not. They will be avenged, even going through the gods themselves if need be.

Using a combination of sympathy and favours, the current Shun vowed to find out who pulled the strings behind Haven's back. Across the years it took to uncover the truth, the gift of his master served him well - it was as simple as a shed of a tear, a simple show of all to human anguish - to cast the seeds of doubt. The greatest weakness of people is their own humanity - The Arch traitor knows that humanity can be controlled by those who dehumanize themselves.

But the question is - What secret organizations lie hold power Haven?

At hex 23.34, Shun will attempt to Uncannily discover rumours, using The Arch Traitor's gift: 4dF+4 6

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

"Why did you sleep with my wife?"
"Because I wanted to. What will you do about it?"
"I'll kill you!

Yami Fenrir posted:

"Ugh. Useless. Back to wherever you came."

And with a small amount of psionic energy, the item gets teleported back to the point it was teleported in from - except soaking wet.

"Oh hey, a reply!"

Unfortunately, it was also the herald for a large amount of sea water. "Gah, dammit!" Ironically, his first response was to use his human hands to cover the hole.

-some time later-

"Okay, so this one is based in a sea realm. Get waterproofed ink, or speak Got it. You'd think with all of the information from past lives, human mistakes would become impossible."

After controlling the sea water supply, Archie (as appropriate as shortening a horror's title would be), began to use the disturbance in order to create a dialogue of sorts. Sending his image across the disturbance, They expressed in ideas and not words looked to create a visual feed.

message to the one in the aquatic realm posted:

"Greetings! I am... Archie. Let's go with Archie. In any case, I've recently just arrived around the realm, and I'm hoping to get to know the realm and those who watch it. Not the official gods, but beings like us, you know? I know some pretty interesting stuff about some surface dwelling races, if you know anything worth trading? I can't seem to speak to you in real time, but I'll be here if you wish to speak. Now how do you end these? Let me-" at this point, the message ends.

In the meantime, the arch traitor sees the bound of flesh which also answers his call. He whispers to it, before sending it on its way to its master.

message to the speaker of seeds posted:

I know some secrets, but I also know other things of interest. Perhaps we should reconvene later, when I have more I am willing to trade.

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

Within the unknown prison of they expressed in ideas, not words - A small dog/its teeth/starvation in its time
Unusued temporary aspects remaining:
  • Free Harbinger Invoke
  • One generated from recruiting an agent
  • One generated from rumour searching within haven

Discovery Phase
"...What do you mean she recruited my herald!" The horror shouted, flinging his wine to the endless walls.
"I turn away from that gentleman for one second, and he not only reveals our existence, but gets himself in the hands of the village people's mother hen!"
The shouting continued, parting the terrified smoke.
"...There are bright sides to this news, however - with my new agent and view on the world, I can expand forth and-"
Whatever inhuman, cruel, vile train of thought was wandering within Archie's head was crashed. Killing everyone inside was a constant beep, as if a magical sound was severed at one end. "What in the world is..."
Just then, a large slap of rock slammed onto what should have been his foot. It was, as he had not warped his head around the concept of not requiring human physiology.
"GAH!"
"Oh, is that what my first message sounded like? From the outside, that looks awful."
Turning to his side he saw a seemingly normal letter of his returned - seemingly unread, he examined. Curious and curiouser, he recoiled when the letter cut his entirely unnecessary hand.
The arch traitor snapped.
Shall smack the little poo poo of a letter which cut him for no reason (not an actual roll, but more of a fluff roll): 4dF+3 4
Grabbing the traitor letter within its inhumane grasp, the arch traitor pinned it to the floor and mutely whispered 'no' to the bird.
"Oh no, oh nono."
The force to break a million drums.
"You do NOT!"
The heartbreak from a million guns.
"Cut me"
The crackling of a million suns.
"When! I! AM! YOUR! MASTER! YOU! BLUNT-FOSTERING! CUNDERSTNATCH!"
Civilizati-
"Of course, plans and such. I will return to you later."
Commented the Arch traitor, disintegrating letter after remembering that was a possibility.

"Alright, here's the plan - for now, I will let Shun persue this mystery he has embroilled himself in. As for here, I believe this mere 'exile' can be used to my advantage."

And so, the arch traitor set to devising a cunning stunt based on one of the oldest tricks in the book - well, as soon as he dealt with the mysterious buzzing noise.
Having sent is orders to this incarnation of shun, which were little more than "Do what you want" at this stage, The Arch traitor sought, plotted and waited.

Shun, meanwhile, simply took the next boat to the city across the sea where the title's current blood trail had sent him. Serving a being who made do demands of you was... nice, Shun supposed. Whether or not the being would avoid the mistakes of his predecessor would remain to be seen. In any case, he had a boat to catch - whether or not his sudden decision to travel would be tracked or not did not come to him. But, as a standard Noddite, travel was not unheard of - after all, how did anyone end up in Haven were it not for travel and exile?
From Hex 23.34 to hex 21.29 Shun shall attempt to Uncannily travel, using the prebuilt route, without generating suspicion.: 4dF+2 1

End of Arch Traitor Discovery Phase

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

Within the unknown prison of they expressed in ideas, not words - A small dog/its teeth/starvation in its time
Unusued temporary aspects remaining:
  • Free Harbinger Invoke
  • One generated from recruiting an agent
  • One generated from rumour searching within haven

Action Phase - The Arch Traitor
The question of "what is the most basic human instinct" is a path which many philosophers have dared to tread over the years - some more successfully than others, and some whose contributions were not even worth their time. But one theory, one which the Arch Traitor was relying on, was that people sought to see things which hurt them removed. And, with a little bit of fear mongering, they could desire death.

The plan was simple in it's premise - by planting thoughts into the head of those who lost people in the fire, they would begin to gather under the assumption that the gods were turning against them. With the families lost in the fire, it would be considered a sign of the gods seeking to punish the survivors, much as the noddites exiled their own - and for the lives lost, for the people bereft of their families, why on earth was the Blasphemer allowed to live?!

And from the guidance of the dreams, they would see a figure. A god of the betrayed, one who cares not whom you came from, but who you want to be - one outside the persecution of the noddite circle, outside of Idrians' disdain and inaction. And from these dreams, the will believe that the being answered their call, rather than the other way around. Ritualistically eating fire, the bereaved would be reborn - not as those left behind, but as those who would act for themselves. No god's demands for peace would get between them and their desires. Now, if The Arch Traitor could frame the dreams just right...

At 23.34, The Arch Traitor shall attempt to Uncannily start a cult, invoking mutable symbols to act.: 4dF+3 3

The Cult of the Consumed Flame posted:

Origin Aspect: Those left behind by god's machinations
Approaches:
Awful+3
Restless+2
Uncanny+2

+1 boost

For now, the day's events had been tiring. They would rest, and take leave once they had the strength to forge on ahead.

End of Action Phase

Trollhawke fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 13, 2016

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

The God Eater, The Arch traitor, They expressed in ideas, not words - written on The 8th king/Several Wives/The 8th age.
free invokes/boosts
  • Smokes of the fire (Free harbinger invoke)
  • Rage buried within trauma (boost 1)
  • The pride of striking out (boost 2)

"And so by that you mean..."
"Yes, my lord. There are ancient hidden cults of magic hidden amongst us - indeed, there is one in the Herathbled territory."
"And you found this by examining..."
"A murder several knots away, sir."
"I'm proud of you."
The arch traitor sent a memory of being patted on the head from what was, presumably, its previous life.
Being sent any thoughts, as "Shun" could attest, was horrifying.

"In any case, we have new allies. I will introduce them later - but for now, I will need you to head south west There is a problem I was hoping you would deal with. I trust you will be able to handle it?"

"Of course."

"Excellent, Shun. Report to me once you have made your way there. Once you have done so, I will determine my next move."

Discovery Phase
In which Shun will move from 21.29 to 19.32 via the route, and attempt to discover the city.
Shun shall attempt to uncannily discover the city on 19.32: 4dF+2 1

"Was Hyklos the name of the city you thought of, sir?"
reaching for the damnable presence he sought, Archie found nothing. "I don't think so, Shun. Why, is that the first southwest city?"
"Indeed - it is a fortress of a city with plenty of slaves. Perhaps we are fortunate that we did not find what you sought here."
"Perhaps so - conversely, let us hope the next location is not as heavily fortified. For now," Began they expressed in ideas and not words,
"Take refuge in the city for the time being, tell me what you can about it. I have no sense of time in here, so you may need to rest."
"Understood."
Time passes - supposedly, before the two are in contact again.
"Well?"
"Did you know there's a blood diamond trade here?"
"I'm sorry, what? What are they even fuelling?"
"Blood diamonds. They're not fuelling anything, it's just that these diamonds are melted and refined with blood mixed in - it makes them like rubies, and often wore as commodies. Some even say they diamonds contain the souls of those who help make them."
"That's not what a blood diamond is. A blood diamond is a diamond mined in a war-"
"Blood diamond hasn't meant that for an age, at least. What you're referring to is bloodied diamonds."
"I see. Although, a question."
"Never did I think I would see the day where a god admitted they didn't know something and asked something of a mere human."
"How in the name of the Thirteen ages do you melt a diamond?"
"Magic."
"Why did I assume anything else."

End of discovery phase

Trollhawke fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

The God Eater, The Arch traitor, They expressed in ideas, not words - written on The 8th king/Several Wives/The 8th age.
free invokes/boosts
  • Smokes of the fire (Free harbinger invoke)
  • Rage buried within trauma (boost 1)
  • The pride of striking out (boost 2)

Action Phase
The Arch Traitor
At 23.34, The Arch Traitor shall attempt to Uncannily make a blood sacrifice, spending the free invoke to do so.: 4dF+3 7
"Now then - While the others are working on their orders, I suppose it is time to put on a little play. Now, first we begin by taking a plucky little child..." The arch traitor dictated, turning through his notes.
"Then following this" - as he swiped away the smoke in front of his tome - "We take the time to set up the hunt for the runtling to follow - a little bit of essence here, a dark incantation here, don't forget the chidlike theories to make it seem so innocent and sweet. Aww, isn't this going to be so sweet when they see what this child does next?"
"Now," the form of betrayal spoke, drawing intricate human designs on intricate human parchment, the pieces of the dastardly plan became closer and closer together. "A little sprinkle of adult attention, which the poor thing will feel so rebellious over! And so, when he turns to the clues I left, which in his eyes are so much more reliable, and he goes off on his little adventure to recreate it, and then... AND THEN..."

Laughter overtook. The dark designs pulsated into the world, like the forcibly entry of blade into the stomach, and found its way to all of the appropriate pieces. As the gears turned to crush the sacrifice, each moment became another awful, awful note in the requiem in progress. As the vultures gathered, they expressed in grief, not memorials, watched on in eager anticipation. Every piece was in place, and all that was left to do was see what the innocent would do - in one moment, one little step and it would all be over. But any number of things could happen - would there be interference? Would there be? Or would the helpless lamb throw itself into the fire, decrying the name of those it loved, yet again burning the site of the first burned church?

There would be every chance of hubris. But the despair - of the despair - would be so, so sweet.

And all because of a little lie in one exiled boy's dreams.

The cult of the consumed flame
At 21.29 (praise be for eye change delay), The cult shall attempt to uncannily make a sacrifice (+1 from neutral appropriate approach): 4dF+3 1

"...Did I forget something?" asked the Arch Traitor to no one, a written guide on sacrifice left within the realm.
End of action phase

• Locked thread