Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

The Lurker Beneath, the Third King of the Cold Dark, the Great Old, He who takes minds freely, the Star-Seeker

Boost: Assuming Direct Control (Merrow #1)

The time to act has come. Too long have I remained slumbering. Now, my gaze falls to the very place in which I remain sleeping. Hathaatuanth. No longer what it used to be, like so many things. It's many facilities, in disrepair. This... will not do.

It will be returned to it's former glory.

But, first things first. Before all of this can happen, I need servants. Servants that do not sleep when I do. The Medusae are... interesting, and most likely moldable, but the merrow are more influental. Therefore, they must be dealt with first... Naturally, it's most easy to influence a People as one of their own. So, one of them will soon see me as their true lord.

Extending my mind, I scan my surroundings for any merrows close be - if there's anything one can count on - if there's a forbidden place, some foolhardy idiot will try to explore it, after all... and once I find one...

They will be the very first, insignificant step towards the return of my kin.

At hex U:36.30, Auluudh weirdly recruits a mininon. Difficulty: (?)
Weirdly Recruiting some poor Merrow (using the free invoke): 4dF+4 7 (This is +2 from Weird and +2 from the free invoke, not sure about any other modifiers.) Really is a 5 because of the invoke being used for an action.

Assuming a +7 means it's a success with style, so:
Merrow #1 (I'm sure he has a name, Auluudh just can't be bothered to learn it)
Origin: Merrow Seeker
Starfall Clutch Merrow
Approaches:
Weird +2
Leery +3
Subtle +2
Has Boost: Assuming Direct Control.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Apr 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

The Lurker Beneath, the Third King of the Cold Dark, the Great Old, He who takes minds freely, the Star-Seeker

Boost: Famous Explorers (Heralds of the Deepest Kingdom)

As to be expected... this ... Merrow proves no match for my mastery of the mind. From it's feeble mind, I lifted something curious: It is not alone. It was supposed to be scouting out this place for it's friends, waiting outside of the city limit, cowering behind a rock formation. That pitiful... but also interesting. And convenient. I'll be honest - I did not expect so many servants to flock to me quite this soon.

Very well, little merrow. Go back to your friends. Tell them the city is safe. And when they turn their backs... they will join you. And you will be the one to do the deed for me.

At Hex 36.30, Merrow #1 is going to Subtly recruit a Cult.
Subtly Recruiting a Cult (using Boost): 2dF+4 6
Addendum roll because I suck horribly: 2dF 0

Name: The Heralds of the Deepest Kingdom
Origin: Adventurers of Huaca
Approaches:
Uncanny +1
Subtle +2
Leery +3
Weird +2
Boost: Famous Explorers

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Apr 7, 2016

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Free Invoke: Psionic Pool (Heralds of the Deepest Kingdom)

Another success... just as planned. But, now what? Hmm... Ah, yes! The Ileth. I suppose I should go ahead and wake them. I suppose I can leave that task to my newest peons, as I continue planning my next move. The Medusae and Merrow both seem viable targets... But whom will I take over first? I will have to ponder. Regardless...

"Sally forth, my Heralds! Use the power I so generously gifted you, and awaken those that sleep beneath!"

Wait. What is this gigantic psionic presence? It seems to stem from the surface, but... I can sense it from even down here. Hmm, maybe I can contact it.

Psionic Message to Marr posted:

Greetings. What are you, and what is your intent in this world?

And just then, a piece of paper appears underwater. Now what would this be... Oh! A letter. Merrow Number one, you are proving more useful than expected. What does it say? 'Hey?' What? Who would even bother to...

"Ugh. Useless. Back to wherever you came."

And with a small amount of psionic energy, the item gets teleported back to the point it was teleported in from - except soaking wet.

Archtraitor posted:

The letter returns to you almost immediately, soaking wet and with a piece of presumably seaweed stuck to it.

At Hex 36.30, the Heralds of the Deepest Kingdom are going to Weirdly Create an Advantage in order to awaken the Ileth - by pooling a lot of psionic energy in one place.
Weirdly Creating an Advantage: 4dF+2 2 Creating the Aspect: Psionic Pool and getting a free invoke of it.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Apr 7, 2016

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Well, looks like my minions are doing what I ordered just fine. Time to respond to these strangers...

Reply to Marr posted:

I know many secrets, indeed. Including one that allows a mortal to live close to forever... But what, in turn, would you be willing to give?

With the strange, yelling voice out of the way, he turns to, uhm, Archie. What a strange, undignified name.

Reply To Archie posted:

Oh, I'm sure we could get along. I do know a good fair share of secrets, for I have witnessed much. I do have something that could be of utmost interest to one such as you, but... what would you give in return, surface dweller?

Basically, I'm willing to trade knowledge about my Secret if I get yours in return.

Hmm... now that I think about it, maybe there are other primordeals left. Surely, their mind would be sticking out like - oh, there IS one! How curious.

Mental message to Zarkai posted:

Ah, a fellow primordeal. The oldest of the Aboleths, Auluudh, greets you. How are things on the surface these years? I have slept for so long, I am quite out of touch, I must admit.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Apr 7, 2016

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Oh? That is interesting indeed. Very well...

Reply to Marr posted:

Very well. Let me 'sing' the knowledge of my Secret of Sleep and Life into your mind.

Done!

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Apr 7, 2016

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Lizard-monkeys? I don't quite understand what he means. But, oh well. Everyone has their own words for things.

Reply to Zarkai posted:

Yes, actually. You remember the days the monkeys came to the surface? They actually belonged to us, but kind of got lost. You know how it is, you got so many servants and you don't really count them, so some go missing every now and then. Anyway, the monkeys I have with me right now are quite different. They have evolved, styling their mental prowess after us, and have become more fearsome than they ever could have without us. Unfortunately, they did get overwhelmed by all of the other slave races in the meantime, and they ended up sleeping in the same place as I. Speaking of which... you have not, perchance, seen one of my kind at some point? While I slept, they seem to have... disappeared.

But, alas... I'm sure I'll find out where they have gone soon enough. Say, are you a Tyrant, by chance? While us aboleths have not gone to the surface, the terror your kind has brought upon lesser beings has reached even us via the minds of others. Your conquests must have reached as far and wide as ours! I have to say, it is quite... refreshing, speaking to an equal.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Reply to Zarkai posted:

Ah, my condolences. However, it seems we are in a similar situation. But, anyway, I suppose I should tell you more about our abode. From what little I know about it's current situation, the merrow, strange fish-monkeys, are the dominant force at the time being. I plan to stop that, of course. I have already set plans in motion. There are also the Medusae, the strangest beings I have seen, and I have seen much. They appear like round slimes, but with tentacles, and they are bright. Very much so. It is irritating.

But, I am drifting off. I recently found out that the fish-monkeys appear to hold our abode as their equivalent to hell, and a place of reverence both, depending on the variety of fish-monkey. I find that very amusing indeed. Even without our physical presence, most do not dare enter it. ... I just wish they did not show their reverential sacrifices by throwing their corpses into our cities. Oh well, I'll just have them clean it up once I have reclaimed them.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Reply to Zarkai posted:

But of course. Farewell until then, friend. Take care.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Apr 7, 2016

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Free Invoke: Additional Workforce (Heralds of the Deepest Kingdom)
Free Invoke: Hall of Visions (2) (Lesser Horror, Tower, 36:30)

It's time... soon, they will awaken, and then I can begin in earnest. But first..

"Merrow, you will go forth and head to the southeast. Head for Ngotlelzh. It is time we reclaim it for ourselves. Look for any good defensive positions on your way... we might need them soon. And now that that's done...

"Ileth! Heed your lord and masters call! You have slept for far too long, ever wanting. Now, it is time to rise. Rise, my most favored servants! Let us reclaim what is mine, and you will find yourself never wanting. I place before you your first task - clear this city of rubble and corpses. Restore it to it's full glory, and it's many facilities will carry our conquest to victory. I have prepared many, many contingencies such as these to fall back on.. Begin with the Hall of Visions - war is won with knowledge, and it's capabilities will bring us such. The thralls that have awoken you will assist you in this task. Now, go! Prepare this city for my waking, and you will be rewarded... in time."

As my agent action, I will be moving Merrow #1 from hex U:36.30 to hex U:38.31, to Leerily discover the hex and look for defensible locations.
Discovering hex U:38.31: 4dF+3 1 Failure, but it's an agent so no mysteries.

As my cult action, in hex U:36.30, the Heralds of the Deepest Kingdom will Leerily Create an Advantage by assisting the Sunken Ones in reactivating the Hall of Visions.
Leerily Create Advantage: 4dF+3 3 Success, my Cult will be an Additional Workforce and assist the Sunken Ones.

I activate my Servitors using the Boost: Psionic Pool. Using them for my horror action, in hex U:36.30, the Sunken Ones will Leerily Create a Lesser Horror (Tower, the Hall of Visions). Naturally, this uses 1 Aberrance.
Leerily Creating a Lesser Horror - Tower: 4dF+3 3 Success with Style, a Tower is created and I gain 2 invokes of Hall of Visions.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Apr 7, 2016

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Free Invoke: Hall of Visions (Lesser Horror, Tower, 36:30)
Boost: Laying in Ambush (Heralds of the Deepest Kingdom)

Fate be damned! I cannot suffer a distraction at such critical a time. We must reach Ngotlelzh before it is too late!

That's what you expected me to say, is it not, dear Ileth? No, I am not so easily foiled. I may be dormant, but I am not idle. I saw this coming, thanks to the Hall of Visions you so helpfully repaired. So... I prepared a counter-ambush. And, if I may say so myself, it worked perfectly. Just look at that poor, primitive beast chasing the bait right into our trap. And when it does...

In hex U:38:31, the Heralds of the Deepest Kingdom enter combat with the Angler and Defend for Merrow #1.
Leerily Defending for Merrow #1: 4dF+3 0 Failure. Rerolling using one free invoke of Hall of Visions.

Leerily Defending for Merrow #1 (Reroll): 4dF+3 3 Success with Style. (Because I am defending with my Cult instead of the Actor, the +2 upshift for targeting Agents is gone.) Choosing Boost Laying in Ambush.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 9, 2016

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Out in the reaches, the Heralds lie hidden, covered by algae trees, rocks, and other such things they know to use thanks to the scouting capabilities of the Hall of Visions, they fly to the aid of their ambushed friend!

Well, metaphorically. Instead of actually charging out, they instead keep themselves hidden, and focus their newfound psionic potential onto the unsuspecting Anglerfish. Within seconds, it stops moving, now serving a greater purpose instead of only it's base instincts.

And with that matter resolved, it's time to tend to other matters. Namely, the activated Hall of Vision has already bore fruit. A medusae is headed straight for the city, for an unknown purpose... It too, must be dealt with.

"Ileth! Claim this Medusae being for me. Let us tear out its secrets directly out of it's mind."

In Hex U:38:31, the Heralds of the Deepest Kingdom will Weirdly Subvert the Anglerfish.
Weirdly Subverting the Anglerfish: 4dF+2 3 My gift applies, giving +2 to the roll. Using up the Boost "Laying in Ambush" for a +2, as well as the free invoke of Hall of Visions for another +2, for a total of result of 7. Success with Style. Giving it a +1 to Weird.

In Hex U:34:30, the Sunken Ones will Weirdly (Sorry, forgot that in the roll itself) Subvert the Medusae Agent. Difficulty = 5
Subvert Medusae Agent: 4dF+3 3 Failure! Rerolling using an Aberrance point to invoke Tyrant of the Mind.

Subvert Medusae Agent: 4dF+3 3 Failure! Oh ffs.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 15, 2016

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Free Invoke: Psi-Active Crystals (Merrow #1)

Hmph. A weak showing of the Ileth, indeed. Perhaps I asked too much, they have only just awoken - but perhaps there was a reason they lost back then. Time will tell. Well, they will deal with it later. At least the merrow were more successful. Hm... Maybe I should favor them instead? Apart from their somewhat flashy way of waking the ileth, they have not yet failed me.

"Merrow, you will gather the crystals. You know which ones - they resonate with your mind. We will use them in order to bind the anglerfish nest to our will."

And then, one more voice reaches my mind. Curious.

Reply to Bereaved posted:

Now that is someone I never expected to hear from. The Lady of the Woods, is it? I'd imagine you lost to the giant's peons as well. It is good to hear from you. To be honest, I did not care much about you in the past either - but times have changed. Now, we primordeals should work together - it is unlikely those that have taken all from us will let us reclaim what is ours with ease. And no, I have neither seen nor heard of your children. ... And neither have I of mine. I, too, have lost my kin. I do not know if they're dead, or just elsewhere, however. Anyway... I do have something that might perhaps be of use to you - the ability to extend a mortals life by giving them to the thief of days. What would you give in exchange?

In Hex U:38:31, Merrow #1 will Weirdly Create an Advantage by gathering Psi-active crystals for later use.
Weirdly Creating an Advantage: 2dF+2 1 Failure. Going to use the Boost Famous Explorers to turn it into a Success, creating the Aspect Psi-active Crystals

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 25, 2016

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Auluudh turns away for a few seconds to answer to the Lady of the Woods.

Reply to the Bereaved posted:

Very well then. Let us exchange what we know in order to facilitate our glorious returns both!

And then he turns back to gaze upon his servants. ... And with a look of incredible disappointment, he looks at the Ileth.

Locking in the trade too.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 25, 2016

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Well, the exchange with the Lady of the Woods went well. Glad to see us primordeals are not stuck infighting in these dire times. Hm, perhaps the Tyrant is willing to continue our chat.

Message to Zarkai posted:

Greetings once more, Tyrant! I was wondering you were able to continue our chat. I was about to ask if you were interested in exchanging knowledge to hasten our glorious return to this world. I, for myself, have the following Secrets I could teach you: First, to extend a mortal's life by handing them to the Thief of Days, a second to use the Membranes of the Sky to steal yourself away and heal, and a third to ward away the pesky elder races. Would you perhaps be willing to exchange some of your knowledge for these secrets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Okay, this is getting ridiculous. How the hell do all these weird things know where I live, much less of my actual return?

Well, he does speak about a powerful race... which is bound to have powerful secrets.

Reply to the Ministry posted:

So be it.

I... really should work on getting some more security working again.

Locking in trade: First life artifacts for Cracks in the sky.

• Locked thread