Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I took my 2016 F-150 to the dealership for its first oil change today, and when I returned home I noticed this little box dangling above my left foot.

According to Google, the FCC ID is for a CDMA communicator. I can't figure out where to secure it under the dash. Nothing corresponds to the four tabs along the sides.

Owners manual doesn't show it, and I can't find it online anywhere.

Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Probably was just wedged in the dash internals somewhere, is it aftermarket? The wiring doesn't look very Ford OEMy.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Anything factory wouldn't have an inline fuse like that.

Sorry for asking, but did you buy it with bad credit? A lot of buy here pay here lots will install something for tracking and/or to allow them to remotely disable the vehicle.

Alternatively, is it a fleet truck?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Apr 3, 2016

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, that's either part of an aftermarket security system (on a 2016?), or some kind of telltale/tracking system.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

An aftermarket alarm wouldn't have anything tied to a CDMA transceiver.

FWIW, I dug a little bit up on it - the FCC ID is basically for a 1xRTT CDMA modem chipset, which really doesn't give any insight. I did find a data sheet for the chipset that shows it can be tied into anything from data to eavesdropping. Google suggests that the chipset manufacturer's automotive applications are mostly location tracking. Looks like mostly fleet operation stuff, and also the kind of stuff insurance companies build into the little "plug in this dongle and we'll reduce your rates!" things.

I'm more surprised to see something still being built for 1xRTT.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Oops poo poo I forgot to subscribe to my own thread.

It came with the truck, and I got a great deal on it. I'll look up the VIN and see if it comes up as a work truck edition. It's white, so there's a possibility it was badged after being ordered.

brb, I'm curious about the VIN.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
The VIN checks out as expected. Must be something ordered by someone before me, the dealership was pretty clear about it being something they wanted to sell.

Also I was mistaken, it's a 2015.

I'll have to wait until Monday to get answers about what it could be.

Actually I'm going to trace the wiring back behind the floor mat to see if I can just remove it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Well it looks like it unplugs easily enough. Unplug it and see if it still starts? :v:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Maybe just pull the fuse?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Since you bought new I'd kindly ask the dealership to remove the weird tracking device from your car.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Is there a reason it could have been installed during its first oil change today? I shoved it behind the molding above the hood latch release and scuffed it, but other than that it doesn't appear to have been fastened to anything ever.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Unless you bought the truck from one of those "buy here, pay here" lots (which tend to install trackers to make it easier to repo vehicles when the buyer defaults), there's no reason for a dealer to have installed anything like that. Since the truck was in for an oil change, it's likely that the box just got dislodged from wherever it was stuffed when someone was grabbing for the hood release or something.

Assuming you're the first owner, my guess is that the truck might have been originally ordered as part of a fleet of some kind (which explains the tracker being installed), but that buyer never took delivery and the dealer just forgot (or simply didn't know) that the box was jammed under the dash somewhere.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Yeah it's the largest proper Ford dealership in San Antonio, so I'm inclined to believe it's a fleet order type of issue.

I didn't start tearing into the trim because :effort: but if nothing else I'll take it in on Monday for some answers.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Has your wife ever accused you of cheating on her?

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
comedy goldmine here we come

she did but I don't have one of those anymore.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'd just unplug it.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Find out if someone is actively tracking it. Then do your best to make it the most WTF tracking log ever.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Those vampire taps definitely scream aftermarket modifications. I had something similarly tough to track in the Buick I bought last fall. Tracking the wiring back lead to more wiring nightmares and finding that it was a remote starter.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
As others said, 100% that is not factory. No reason for that to be installed without your knowledge.

If you bought it new, I would have the dealership remove it. If you bought it used, I'd just unplug it and if it still starts just forget about the fact that you were being watched :tinfoil:

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Open it up and take some high res pictures of the PCB, OP.

I wanna see how the latest fed tracking stuff works.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

InitialDave posted:

I'd just unplug it.

Are we still talking about the wife?

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006
Are you a criminal? They know that we know what you know, ditch the truck and disappear :tinfoil:

edit: do you have one of those fancy new alarms? This looks like one of the new fangled smart start/tracking modules for smartphone integration

McSpatula fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 3, 2016

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

FuzzKill posted:

As others said, 100% that is not factory. No reason for that to be installed without your knowledge.

If you bought it new, I would have the dealership remove it. If you bought it used, I'd just unplug it and if it still starts just forget about the fact that you were being watched :tinfoil:

If I bought a brand new truck from a dealer and then found something vampire clipped to the wire harness like this I'd be livid. Removal alone wouldn't even begin to "fix" it. I would also demand the harness be replaced as the wires where those taps were installed are now weaker and will most certainly be problems down the road.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Chiming in to say that it's definitely after market, the "label side down" instruction is found on similar cell network devices (ie
remote starters) and it looks like it's tapped into the OBD plug power and ground wires.

Looks like a tracking device/immobilizer.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
My Mazda autodimming mirror installation kit uses vampire taps, haha.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Some dealers install security system/tracking devices on the lot to prevent thefts. In many case, they'll try to upsell you on something like a lo jack that is that. If you don't bite it either gets removed or deactivated depending on what is cheaper/easier for them.
The selling dealer should be able to remove it. It isn't as weird as when I discovered air tools under the passenger seat, think someone should have noticed that.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The truck was probably prepped as part of a fleet order and got that installed with all the rest. The fleet buyer decided they didn't want that truck so the dealer agreed so they could sell the fleet another 100 trucks next year. It probably isn't active or they wonder why the truck is always parked at pull a part.

Edit: Try to get a lemons guy to install it in their car.

Elephanthead fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 4, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Send it to me, I need a CDMA modem for a project.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Nothing from the OP for days. I think he strayed too far into gov'mnt territory and the feds got him. :ohdear:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

meatpimp posted:

Nothing from the OP for days. I think he strayed too far into gov'mnt territory and the feds got him. :ohdear:

Should be pretty easy to track him down.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

meatpimp posted:

Driving to work for some reason I was thinking "I wonder what happened to that guy with the tracker attached to his new truck" damnitt OP we need answers

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Hah sorry, I stopped in yesterday to make an appointment but instead of making me wait they removed it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

frozenpussy posted:

Hah sorry, I stopped in yesterday to make an appointment but instead of making me wait they removed it replaced it with a better-hidden one and chewed out the tech for almost getting them rumbled.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The "Flowers By Irene" van outside your house probably had to move to the other side of the street.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

frozenpussy posted:

Hah sorry, I stopped in yesterday to make an appointment but instead of making me wait they removed it.

So they unplugged it but didn't unfuck the vampire taps all over the place? I would still raise hell.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Wiring has insulation for a reason, just ask Mercedes (and Volvo?) about the magical way the pixies dance after their biodegradable wiring harnesses, well, biodegrade.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Have them replace the entire wiring harness.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
you sound pretty nonchalant about this, if i just bought a brand new truck i would be pissed at this

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Thanks, I guess. It's just not a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Keep this thread in mind years down the line when you start getting interesting electrical quirks.

Or, if you sell it in the next few, the new owner gets to experience PO fuckery on a whole new level.

• Locked thread