Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

My Hero Academia is Bones' adaptation of the runaway hit Shonen Jump manga by Kohei Horikoshi. In a world where 80% of the population possess Quirks, superpowered abilities, Izuku "Deku" Midoriya is one of the unlucky few to be completely Quirkless. However, this hasn't squashed his dreams of attending U.A. High School, the premiere hero training facility and becoming a hero in his own right, even though no one really believes in him. However, a chance encounter with the #1 hero in the world is set to change his life and finally make it possible for him to pursue his dreams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jBRnSVaGmI

Staff
Director: Kenji Nagasaki
Series Composition: Yousuke Kuroda
Music: Yuuki Hayashi
Original creator: Kōhei Horikoshi
Character Design: Yoshihiko Umakoshi
Art Director: Shigemi Ikeda, Yukiko Maruyama
Sound Director: Masafumi Mima
Producer: Wakana Okamura

Dramatis Personae (for now)

Izuku Midoriya (Daiki Yamashita)
Quirk: None One For All
Known as "Deku," Izuku dreams of being a hero, even though he has no powers. He's an intense hero enthusiast, with an extensive collection of notes and observations on noteworthy heroes. Izuku has become All Might's disciple and inherited his Quirk One For All.

All Might (Kenta Miyake)
Quirk: One For All
The top hero in the world with amazing strength and Izuku's biggest role model. He and Izuku meet when All Might saves him from an attacking villain. After an encounter with a villain, his powers have been steadily weakening. Moved by Izuku's heroism, he has decided to pass on the ability One For All onto him.

Katsuki Bakugo (Nobuhiko Okamoto)
Quirk: Explosion
Izuku's classmate and bully, and the front-runner in his class to be accepted into U.A. His powers have been strong since he was young.

Ochaco Uraraka (Ayane Sakura)
Quirk: Zero Gravity
A girl Izuku met at the U.A. entrance exam. Seems nice.

Tenya Iida (Kaito Ishikawa)
Quirk: Engine
An intense guy Izuku met at the U.A. entrance exam.

The Verdict
This is a good anime. I loving love MHA, and this first episode is as good as I'd hoped for. It seems to be taking things a bit slower than the manga,which is not a bad thing because the manga's pretty fast-paced, and a lot happens in the first chapter. I give this series the Waffleman Seal of Approval, which means it's approved for use on normies.

My Hero Academia is licensed by Funimation, and episodes go up Sundays at 5am Eastern.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
My Hero Academia is so loving good and I'm really glad it's getting the treatment it deserves. It's almost refreshing to know they're going at the pace they are, and I'm excited to see the direction they take this.

PLUS ULTRA!

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
That was really good. Loving the soundtrack so far. Izuku's voice takes some getting used to. But he was a bit of a goober in the first 2 chapters so it'll get better over time I think.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Looking good so far.

Not a fan of how they split up the first chapter, though. Wish they had done one of those extra long starting episode things so as to adapt it as one episode.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Bakugou's voice really fits him, I think that's the performance I've enjoyed most so far.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Where all is this being hosted? I know it's on Hulu, but you need a subscription to see it right now. Is that the only place that's (legitimately) hosting it?

Also, All Might's quirk is One for All.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Where all is this being hosted? I know it's on Hulu, but you need a subscription to see it right now. Is that the only place that's (legitimately) hosting it?

Also, All Might's quirk is One for All.

Funimation, I think.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Darth Walrus posted:

Funimation, I think.

Bingo.

Also, gonna watch the heck out of this!

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
This shits awesome, and I'm very sad it appears to only be getting 13 episodes.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Well, that was pretty good! OP and ED are nothing special, but I can live with that given the quality we've seen everywhere else. Bakugou comes off even more dickish than I remember.

Is it really only going for thirteen episodes? I know that they need to avoid catching up, but I think they could easily do 26 if the pacing we've seen is any indication.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.

Charlie Bobson posted:

This shits awesome, and I'm very sad it appears to only be getting 13 episodes.

Realtalk I'd rather take a short, awesome ride over something super drawn out.

Besides I think they'd almost catch up to the manga if they did a two-season run at this point, if there's enough material for even that.

tlarn fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 3, 2016

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Hopefully they'll pull a Soma and give us another season when more manga material is available.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

The manga's been going fast enough that we've already got enough material to last us maybe 2 or even 3 seasons, and with the pace the anime is going at based off the first episode we should be good on more anime content for awhile.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Here's the link to funi's page. Going to check this out; nothing jumps out to me as standing out, but it has good buzz so i'm all curious about it.

http://www.funimation.com/shows/my-hero-academia/home

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mulderman posted:

Hopefully they'll pull a Soma and give us another season when more manga material is available.

Somehow I doubt one of the most popular series currently running in Jump is going to get a one and done deal.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I started reading this like a month ago off friends recommendations and it's real good! I just started the Sports Festival arc which isn't even like a fourth of the series I think? I'm bummed it's only 13 episodes but it's gonna be stellar so oh well.

The first episode was good and the Young Deku scenes are really cute. Also the scene where he's crying in front of the computer kiiiiinda gets me in a big way and i hate it

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I'm a little concerned about it only being 13 episodes. Especially considering they're taking two episodes to do Chapter 1. This probably won't get far enough at all, which makes me sad.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Chapter 1 was a really long one-shot pilot, though. The chapters from then on are significantly shorter.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
Not to mention it will absolutely get a second season. And a third. And a fourth.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I dig it. It's really good A+ would recommend to everyone who likes the shonen superpower punchshows and several who don't.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 3, 2016

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I thought this was alright, even though I find the premise dull. I really liked this bit of animation though

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Idgi. I enjoyed the first ep, but pretty much everyone in the chat thread is being flakey. I agree being only 13 episodes is lame, but they are acting like it's bland rice, which I don't get. :confused:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Parallax posted:

I thought this was alright, even though I find the premise dull. I really liked this bit of animation though

Kids are cute yeah :3:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The chat thread is bad.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Julias posted:

Idgi. I enjoyed the first ep, but pretty much everyone in the chat thread is being flakey. I agree being only 13 episodes is lame, but they are acting like it's bland rice, which I don't get. :confused:

bland rice is a pretty good descriptor for this, yeah

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

The chat thread is bad.

Incorrect

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I could watch over excited kid Deku on his chair all day.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Turn off your monitor

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Wanna climb dat mountain.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Julias posted:

It's well-made but there's nothing particularly interesting about the material so far. And the first episode was all setup.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
If people are going into this expecting a subversive parody or something like Onepunch-Man they're going to be disappointed. This is a shonen battle series through and through, it just vastly improves on several typical mistakes of the genre and is a lot of fun. It's well written and almost all of the characters are likeable. Also the art is phenomenal but that doesn't really matter to the anime even though it also looks super good.

Unfortunately there's a moment in chapter 1 they didn't get to in the first episode which is what convinced me to keep reading, but unless your standards are unrealistically high I think MHA is very creative and clever.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I agree with the people who think this would have benefited from a double-length E01. By the third episode we should be at UA and have a better view of the series, so the 3-episode test works to its benefit.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

The chat thread is bad.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
If you have a problem with another thread, take it to that thread or take it to PMs - either mine or somebody else's.

This is the thread for the My Hero Academia anime. Post about My Hero Academia. Thank you.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i think it wasn't a particularly great first episode, aside from the stellar use of Horikoshi's faces and the voicework. the setup to the series isn't why it's good, and it really comes off as just slightly above standard shonen, by virtue of Deku being a good protagonist. dragging that average intro out for two weeks seems like a bad idea, especially given the short season. i really wanted the Sports Festival animated but i'm not sure that's gonna happen now. :(

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

dogsicle posted:

i think it wasn't a particularly great first episode, aside from the stellar use of Horikoshi's faces and the voicework. the setup to the series isn't why it's good, and it really comes off as just slightly above standard shonen, by virtue of Deku being a good protagonist. dragging that average intro out for two weeks seems like a bad idea, especially given the short season. i really wanted the Sports Festival animated but i'm not sure that's gonna happen now. :(

As someone who hasn't read the manga that sounds right to me. The production was fine enough but the setup might as well have been Naruto but with superheroes. I figure I'll either set it on the backburner for when the season is complete and/or check out the manga at some point.

Peel posted:

I agree with the people who think this would have benefited from a double-length E01. By the third episode we should be at UA and have a better view of the series, so the 3-episode test works to its benefit.

What I usually find rough about the notion of the 3 episode test is at the end of the day the goal of a first episode should be to convince the viewer to watch the second.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I thought the execution of the first episode was fantastic, better than I had hoped for, but I do agree there's not much hook yet for those who aren't familiar with the manga, adapting the first chapter in two parts is a slightly odd decision. Would have been better just to make the first episode a one hour special, probably, but it doesn't matter much in the long run.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

If you have a problem with another thread, take it to that thread or take it to PMs - either mine or somebody else's.

This is the thread for the My Hero Academia anime. Post about My Hero Academia. Thank you.

Flip that avatar around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2016-04-02/naruto-cheers-on-my-hero-academia-deku/.100428

Go Deku go

• Locked thread