Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It was kinda weird in the manga too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, that was actually faithful. No. 13 tells Iida to go and faces off against Black Mist; when we return, we find Black Mist having redirected the black hole and wrecked No. 13, and Iida hasn't moved an inch despite some time presumably having passed. Then he tries to leave, Black Mist goes for him, Shouji interrupts him but because he's a teleporter made of mist he worms out of it, then Uraraka and co. thwart that attempt and Iida escapes. So, basically exactly what happened in the anime.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Speaking of 13, do we ever find out in the manga how she uses (used?) her powers for search & rescue operations? It seems like the sort of horrifyingly destructive ability that would fit right next to Shiragaki in the "Never had a chance, go to villain school instead" category.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Kytrarewn posted:

Speaking of 13, do we ever find out in the manga how she uses (used?) her powers for search & rescue operations? It seems like the sort of horrifyingly destructive ability that would fit right next to Shiragaki in the "Never had a chance, go to villain school instead" category.

It would be pretty useful for clearing away rubble and flood water, maybe even putting out fires. You see later on that 13 has pretty precise control over turning the black hole on and off with his suit.

Oh, and he's just injured. This isn't a series where characters die left and right.

Begemot fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 15, 2016

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

13's a dude

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Roland Jones posted:

Yeah, that was actually faithful. No. 13 tells Iida to go and faces off against Black Mist; when we return, we find Black Mist having redirected the black hole and wrecked No. 13, and Iida hasn't moved an inch despite some time presumably having passed. Then he tries to leave, Black Mist goes for him, Shouji interrupts him but because he's a teleporter made of mist he worms out of it, then Uraraka and co. thwart that attempt and Iida escapes. So, basically exactly what happened in the anime.

I interpreted it as "meanwhile while this was happening... [Bakugou checkin/Yao checkin/Tokidori checkin]... and now, back to the action at the main gate. *unpause*"

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I'm curious about something. The earlier episodes mentioned that 4 students had been recommended. We know that Factory Girl and Gill from street fighter 3 are two, but who are the other ones? Is it spoilery to know at this point.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Ka0 posted:

I'm curious about something. The earlier episodes mentioned that 4 students had been recommended. We know that Factory Girl and Gill from street fighter 3 are two, but who are the other ones? Is it spoilery to know at this point.

Whoever they are they're most likely 1-B students we haven't met yet

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The kids who got in on recommendations:

1-A: Momo and Todoroki
1-B: Kendo and the weird swamp dude I think

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
They haven't shown up in the anime, and only one of those two from 1-B is confirmed, I think.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I had thought this weeks was the last episode of the series but clearly not. It was alright, the fight scene was good. I don't think I'll ever get into the pacing.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

plus loving ultra

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Jintor posted:

plus loving ultra

All Might using the (Jojo season 2 spoilers) anti-Cars strategy

EDIT: God dammit who Ponytar'd me?

Major Ricardo
Jan 30, 2001
You'd think having your brain exposed like that would be a design flaw.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
All Might is so cool god drat

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I'm OK with the pacing of this show.

But my quirk is that I have insanely high patience. I went by the super alias The Waiter, but these days people call me EXPECTOR

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Shame we won't see a second season anytime soon.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I don't think we'll have to wait too long, the marketability of this series is pretty insane.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Poison Mushroom posted:

I don't think we'll have to wait too long, the marketability of this series is pretty insane.
If I recall all of the possible timeslots for Summer and Fall are covered already so at a bare minimum we're talking next year.

Personally? I hope this series gets big enough to warrant a movie.

This is like the only shounen series where I'd be happy to watch a non-canon movie with high animation quality.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Fabricated posted:

If I recall all of the possible timeslots for Summer and Fall are covered already so at a bare minimum we're talking next year.

Personally? I hope this series gets big enough to warrant a movie.

This is like the only shounen series where I'd be happy to watch a non-canon movie with high animation quality.
I hope we don't come back to posts like this in 2018 or so, and realize how naive we were

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
All Might is loving Awesome. God drat.

Also, I think all might is a walking example of what a massive difference the right voice actor can make, all might's voice is so loving radical it's like, half his character.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 19, 2016

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Ka0 posted:

I'm OK with the pacing of this show.

But my quirk is that I have insanely high patience. I went by the super alias The Waiter, but these days people call me EXPECTOR

I would unironically read your comic book.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I can't even believe how much All Might owns.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Fabricated posted:

a lot of people probably would have said the same for hunter x hunter

that didn't go well for them

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I think in the long run, short bursts of 13/26 episodes with breaks in between will be so much better for this series. I'd hate to see it turn into another One Piece anime.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Or worse, Naruto.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Poison Mushroom posted:

Plus the manga has just come to a point that I think would make for a natural break.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice
I really like the contrast between All Might and his Clark Kent form, aside from seeming really chill like a traveling surfer hippy dude. I like how while he's a little more :geno: and :effort: it's clear he's still a Hero and thinking about the good of other people. It's like he's just obviously very tired. His All Might form seems like as a character, if he was ALL MIGHT ALL THE TIME would also probably tire the viewer a bit. It's like his own character has a pacing curve.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
His twerp form is the real him, and you can pick up the exhaustion/stress he feels at keeping appearances up.

I hope we don't get a lovely time skip and can see him teach the whole class as "himself".

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Fabricated posted:

His twerp form is the real him, and you can pick up the exhaustion/stress he feels at keeping appearances up.

I hope we don't get a lovely time skip and can see him teach the whole class as "himself".

On the other hand, I really do hope it gets to the point he trusts the class that he gets to that point.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
that fight was real fuckin good

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

Also, I think all might is a walking example of what a massive difference the right voice actor can make, all might's voice is so loving radical it's like, half his character.
I'm honestly considering watching the dub, too, when it's finished, just because I really wanna see how Chris loving Sabat™ delivers those lines.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Sabat's performance at first just sorta apes Kenta Miyake which is lame, but he reigns it in more afterwards and a lot of his delivery as Skinny All Might is loving great.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
I second that Sabat's performance as Small Might is pretty fantastic. I was at first unimpressed by his Hero voice, but by now he's really gotten into both sides.

To me, the real standout in the dub is Bakugo. Especially in the latest episode (Deku vs. Kacchan) but overall I think the dub cast is pretty solid for everyone.

I can't loving wait to hear Sabat scream out that Plus Ultra though.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Jintor posted:

plus loving ultra

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

All Might is so cool god drat

Al-Saqr posted:

a kitten posted:

I can't even believe how much All Might owns.

I am super-resistant to liking characters that the author of a given work obviously wants you to like, usually - when most authors/illustrators go too far to put a character over, it just makes them feel obnoxious and ubiquitous

All Might is exactly the loving opposite of that, he is the best character and I will never get tired of him, I would watch a show that was just All Might doing All Might things and Small Might doing Small Might things all the time, every day

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There was supposed to be an All Might spin-off manga starting this month, but I don't know if that's still happening.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Someone please make a webm of the whole scene where All Might says he has to fight because he's the symbol of peace and then proceeds to beat the poo poo out of the Nomu, ending with the bit where he says he must be getting weaker since it took 300 punches

e: nevermind I made one https://my.mixtape.moe/kjekcu.webm

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 20, 2016

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

All Might is exactly my kind of superhero and he is the best. I teared up at Plus Ultra. Incredible.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

MattTheDoctor posted:

I teared up at Plus Ultra. Incredible.

it's the goddamn strings in the OST that kick in whenever All Might or Deku is about to do something amazingly heroic, on one level I know I should be wiser to this brand of playing the audience but on every other level I'm just hype as gently caress

In most shounen series the outcomes are foregone conclusions so the fights are more about how competently they're drawn/animated or how inventive they can be either in terms of action or comedy, but in MHA I find myself consciously rooting for All Might/Deku in a way that reminds me of childhood, like I really wanted All Might to win

It is embarrassing af but I can't help it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this series is so refreshingly idealistic

• Locked thread