Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hello, friends. Welcome to a tradition unlike any other. It's the

http://www.masters.com/en_US/index.html

Now that Jason Day has a major, we have a bona fide Big Three in golf again: Jason, Jordan Spieth, and Rory McIlroy. Jason is definitely the hottest right now, winning back-to-back at the Arnold Palmer Invitational and Dell Match Play, the latter just 2 weeks ago, but all 3 have shown decent form this season.

Tiger isn't playing because he's busy cheating on Lindsey Vonn rehabbing his back.

Air Times (ET)
Wed: ESPN 3-5pm (Par 3 contest)
Thu/Fri: ESPN 3-7:30pm
Sat: CBS 3-7pm
Sun: CBS 2-7pm

Masters.com has 2 featured groups starting at 9:30am on Thu/Fri. They have feeds for Amen Corner starting at 10:45am and holes 15/16 starting at 11:45am. They also have coverage of the driving range every day starting at 11am.

If you won't be in front of a TV, WatchESPN and the Masters app have streaming.

Marquee Tee Times (Thursday/Friday ET)
pre:
9:37 a.m.	12:44 p.m.	Louis Oosthuizen	Patrick Reed	Jason Dufner
9:48 a.m.	12:55 p.m.	Jordan Spieth	Paul Casey	Bryson DeChambeau (a)
11:05 a.m.	2:01 p.m.	Adam Scott	Brooks Koepka	Kevin Kisner
12:44 p.m.	9:37 a.m.	Bubba Watson	Branden Grace	Ian Poulter
1:06 p.m.	9:59 a.m.	Jason Day	Matt Kuchar	Ernie Els
1:39 p.m.	10:43 a.m.	Sergio Garcia	Danny Willett	Ryan Moore
2:01 p.m.	11:05 a.m.	Rory McIlroy	Bill Haas	Martin Kaymer
Odds (Ladbrokes)
Jason Day 7/1
Rory McIlroy 8/1
Jordan Spieth 10/1
Bubba Watson 10/1
Adam Scott 12/1
Rickie Fowler 16/1
Dustin Johnson 20/1
Phil Mickelson 20/1
Justin Rose 25/1
Henrik Stenson 25/1
Louis Oosthuizen 33/1
Hideki Matsuyama 40/1
Patrick Reed 40/1
Charl Schwartzel 40/1

Masters Betting Pool
Pick an available player who isn't Jason Day, Jordan Spieth, or Rory McIlroy. Best finisher gets a dozen balls from everyone else.

Josh Lyman: Adam Scott
mattfl: Bubba Watson
DJExile: Rickie Fowler
EnsGDT: Louis Oosthuizen
Kameh: Sergio Garcia
Shrapnig: Henrik Stenson
shyduck: Dustin Johnson
Daric: Patrick Reed

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Apr 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Someone not on that list like Danny Willett will win.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yo ensGDT i think it's been one year since you won your bet. Still got the customized balls? :3:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Keyser S0ze posted:

Someone not on that list like Danny Willett will win.
Sergio and Cabrera are basically the only other ones who could win.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Mike Weir still has a PGA card somehow and will be playing.

Huh.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

Mike Weir still has a PGA card somehow and will be playing.

Huh.
He's using a shitload of career exemptions to try to keep his card, but as a par champion he has a lifetime exception for the Masters.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

DJExile posted:

Yo ensGDT i think it's been one year since you won your bet. Still got the customized balls? :3:

I have a couple left :D

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

He's using a shitload of career exemptions to try to keep his card, but as a par champion he has a lifetime exception for the Masters.

I feel bad for the guy. When he had the first back injury they basically told him "We can fix it but your career is probably done". That was followed up with clawing his way back only to get injured again, then a nasty divorce.

Ive had really bad luck when it comes to having a favorite golfer. Jesper Parnevik, David Duvall, Mike Weir, and Sergio. If I want DeLaet to do well I should clearly pick someone else to be a fan of.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Fun fact... only 89 players in the field this year. Lowest number of players in the Masters since 2002 which was also 89 players. I think usually it's like 97 or something. Would have been 90, but Fred Couples WD'd this morning citing acute back pain.

Also, going on record that Sergio will not make the cut.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Eeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

EnsGDT posted:

I have a couple left :D

my man :hfive:

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

thebushcommander posted:

Fun fact... only 89 players in the field this year. Lowest number of players in the Masters since 2002 which was also 89 players. I think usually it's like 97 or something. Would have been 90, but Fred Couples WD'd this morning citing acute back pain.

Also, going on record that Sergio will not make the cut.

I'll play. Just got some new clubs, lets do this!

Spinnaker
Jun 25, 2004

Has anyone ever tried just driving to Augusta and trying to buy tickets from scalpers or departing patrons around midday? It's 3.5 hours each way. Wondering if it's worth the risk. I don't want to pay $1k for a ticket...

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I'm surprised Rory has odds like that, I guess he's such a streaky player that you never know week to week what he'll do. He looked good at the match play and the WGC Cadillac but before that he had a missed cut and a string of mediocre showings. I'd think Spieth Bubba and probably Adam Scott are all more likely to win than him.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Spinnaker posted:

Has anyone ever tried just driving to Augusta and trying to buy tickets from scalpers or departing patrons around midday? It's 3.5 hours each way. Wondering if it's worth the risk. I don't want to pay $1k for a ticket...

I did a couple years ago. Buddy of mine has Monday grounds passes he gets from his father that lives 1/2 mile from the course. I went down for a couple days to hang out and take in the atmosphere. Generally there aren't scalpers because there are limited amounts of tickets and you have to either know someone or have won the lottery to get them. Some people will sell the second half of the day on their tickets as you can exit the grounds and return in the same day, with the same ticket. So you'll see a lot of people ticket sharing. Even then though they want something dumb like $500-600 for the half day and that's even for practice rounds. I never saw any proper scalpers, but I imagine if there were you'd be looking at over $1000 a ticket easily.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Awkward moment. Billy Kratzert interviewing Tom Watson on the range:

"You said in the paper The Masters was your most important win."

"No I didn't. I said the U.S. Open was my most important win because it was the tournament I wanted to win the most."

"... well what does The Masters mean to you?"

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Tom Watson owns

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If I were 66, I wouldn't give any fucks either.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Tee times released, no good pairings. Stupid Augusta.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Why yes, that's women's world #1 Lydia Ko checking out her favorite player, Phil Mickelson:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
Yep, put me down as Sergio.

C. Everett Koop posted:

Eeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I'm inclined to agree, after his MDF in Houston. Maybe he won't put as much pressure on himself. He's capable of shooting great rounds at Augusta; just gotta string them all together.

I still maintain that, when he wins a major, it will be at The Open.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Put me down on the Stenson train.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Watch Jack Nicklaus make tough guy security guards become six inches tall when they recognize who he is on Magnolia Lane.

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/drive-down-magnolia-lane-jack-nicklaus/

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Kameh posted:

Yep, put me down as Sergio.

I'm inclined to agree, after his MDF in Houston. Maybe he won't put as much pressure on himself. He's capable of shooting great rounds at Augusta; just gotta string them all together.

I still maintain that, when he wins a major, it will be at The Open.

US or British?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DoctaFun posted:

US or British?
The Open you American scum!

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

DoctaFun posted:

US or British?

Yeah, it's the British unless it's specifically stated as "US Open."

His swing is so shallow, deep rough (typical of a US Open) can really affect the quality of his strike. If his driving isn't on, he shouldn't be contending. He's only got 4 top 10s in US Opens, the last being 2011. He's also got 3 top 10s in the Masters, and 4 in the PGA.

The Open? He's got 9 top 10s.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Kameh posted:

His swing is so shallow, deep rough (typical of a US Open) can really affect the quality of his strike. If his driving isn't on, he shouldn't be contending. He's only got 4 top 10s in US Opens, the last being 2011. He's also got 3 top 10s in the Masters, and 4 in the PGA.

BUT HOW MANY WINS DOES HE HAVE KAMEH????????????

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Another year and another masters.com live stream nightmare full of glitches and skipping. One of these they will get it right.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Sorry, that wasn't nice.

Justin Thomas and Rickie Fowler made back to back hole in ones in the Par 3 contest earlier.

They're in the same group.

Edit: Spieth was the third in that group too.

Shrapnig fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 6, 2016

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Why arent Weir and Sergio in the same group? These groups are all terrible. :mad:

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Kameh posted:

Josh Lyman posted:

The Open you American scum!

:getin:TRIGGERED:getin:

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Rickie's sister needs to drop some lbs!

Oh Snedeker...

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 6, 2016

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

347 year old Gary Player just made a hole in one, his 38th according to the commentators.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/chrisvernonshow/status/717873626666512385

This is the radio host here in Memphis that made that rap about the Masters last year that was so funny.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

347 year old Gary Player just made a hole in one, his 38th according to the commentators.

gary player owns, par 3 contests own

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I was at the Monday practice round. I saw Rory's hole-in-one at 16 firsthand, amongst other things.

If you ever get a chance to go, holy poo poo don't even think for a second and just do it. It was such an incredible experience and I hope go to back someday.

Also I'm picking Jason Day to win, as long as he can keep his drives straight. I followed him for a few holes, and it was like watching a golf-playing robot. He was just throwing darts out there.

edit: for the pool I'll pick Dustin Johnson

shyduck fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 7, 2016

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Welp, I guess Jimmy Walker won't win the big show.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I'll take Patrick Reed since I know him and he's a cool guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Jason Day is the most consistent golfer in the world right now and I don't think it's particularly close...unless he gets vertigo

• Locked thread