Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Hey guys, what's going on in this Mafia ga--:yikes:

Still doing a little bit of catching up, but just as initial reads, YPM and Inf seem town as hell based on the last few pages. I really don't like Shadow0's appeal to flavor back there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Rascyc posted:

I'm honestly losing interest in the Inf thing cause not enough people are engaging with the case. What I am curious about is how the MEDS CURE SCHIZOS person joins the game and instantly has an Inf is town as hell read

I like his reaction to the whole mason recruiting thing:

Infinitum posted:

Expanding on this

If you're the recruiter, and you don't want to use the masondoc fine.
But you still have the ability to recruit people who might get some use out of it..

It just strikes me as a loving stupid thing to come out and claim when the game has barely started.

I don't feel like publicly announcing your masonry powers, no matter how suspect they might be since it wouldn't be a confirmed masonry, is a good way to start the game. Calling that out looks good on my end.

I appreciate the fact that he tried to cut through the bickering early since pointless slapfights provide both cover to hide in and "Look at me, I'm being so active and discussing things!" when people get involved.

So there you have it. I like the cut of his jib based on what I've seen and read so far.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

GulagDolls posted:

we have to kill mcs.

Help! Help! I'm being repressed!

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

TheDonPeters posted:

I have no idea if YPM is scum or not, I have no idea if anyone is scum or not, so unless anyone can tell me why I should change my vote one lynch seems just as good as any other... Who knows it may turn out the whole role claim gambit might be some kind of tripple bluff

Do you know if you are scum?

This is important.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

TheDonPeters posted:

Oh dam forgot to read my pm let me check...

It's cool guys I am a knight of the round table, in fact one who was tested by people throwing themselves from a tower quite apt.

Would be quite fun idea to play without reading your pm, even more caos and confusion abound.

This strays into silly gambit territory. Try not to pull silly gambits unless you're absolutely sure of what you're doing.

gannyGrabber posted:

Considering we have no idea of what roles are in the game, how many factions there are, or any of that, "randomly" picking somebody is really the only option, isn't it? I mean, you can try to infer whatever you want from what people are posting, but all the gambits and accusations and meta-gaming amount to nothing of substance or value until they are seen in hindsight. And even then...

And it's not so random when you pick the most prolific superhero poo poo poster in the thread and pluck him out so there's less noise.

This is a really lousy way of distancing yourself from a mislynch before it even happens. Wait until you crucify someone to start washing your hands, Pilate.

SirSamVimes posted:

Curious about your immediate impression of YPM and Inf as being town as hell. You've given some reasoning for Infinitum, but why the immediate town read on YPM?

It's kind of a gut thing. I see things that could be construed as rolefishing, sure, but there's something about both the flustered defense and the resignation he seems to have that strike me as a newbie townsperson wandering into his first Day 1 lynch and not knowing how to respond.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Kashuno posted:

Can you dumb dumbs not joke lynch a guy

I think they feel cheated out of their joke lynch by KK's vig kill yesterday.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

To anyone who cares, I will likely be around very little for today: Work bullshit has come up. I'll probably super mega effort post someone on Saturday.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

I have spent the past eight hours in a chair without my phone listening to Very Important Decision makers prattle on and on about how important their job is and how much progress they've made in two years.

So, if I can have a bit to get out of DC traffic, change out of uniform, and catch up, I'd appreciate it.

Also, if any of you can vote against any U.S. congresscritter who wants to increase military spending, I will take that too.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Propaganda Machine posted:

Flavorfishing and an attempted chainlynch on two known town members with a bonus thunderdome.

##vote Propaganda Machine

Everybody else has made the effort case I wanted to make, but I wanted to point out something here:

TT was janitored, i.e, no cardflip, no role, no alignment.

So, the only people who would know TT's alignment are scum and self-aligned people, in which case, they can happily say "Oh, he was town" because nobody else can confirm it otherwise and TT's actual alignment doesn't mean anything to them.

Hope this helps!

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Azuth0667 posted:

Who all have you tried to save?

We've only had one night phase so far. :confused:

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

TheDonPeters posted:

Is that for certain? Sure it's not some odd power of one of the scum, strange there was no scum move n1 if it was janitored.

You're missing the point.

Nobody knows TT's alignment because he was janitored. Hell, in most games, even the scum don't get that information when they janitor someone. It's part of the trade-off between "deny town valuable information" and "gain information from a cardflip".

Arbitrarily declaring that TT was town is a slip because, barring an investigation, there's no way for PMach to know TT's alignment as town. Scum know who their scumbuddies are, which means they can confidently say someone is town: The someone isn't on their scum team, and if the someone is third-party, they're not going to go "AHA, HE'S TOTALLY LYING, I'M ACTUALLY THIRD PARTY, GOTCHA SCUMBO" because then the someone gets a bigger target on them.

Does that make more sense?

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

SirSamVimes posted:

I doubt the doctor claim, because it doesn't make sense with his flavour claim at all. I think he's just saying whatever he thinks will stop him getting thrown off the tower.

Basically, this.

Doctor's a pretty good fakeclaim to buy another day. People are really really hesitant to lynch a claimed one, your results are completely falsifiable, and the fact that kills still happen mean you just didn't pick right.

The fact that he didn't claim being roleblocked until after Podima flipped is also a little bit damning.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Rascyc posted:

I'd rather no lynch than kill an uncountered doctor claim

Counterclaiming the doctor is incredibly dumb for everybody.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Azuth0667 posted:

Is flavor heavily tied to role?

Sometimes. Depends on the game, the role, and the strength of the flavor.

Azuth0667 posted:

Also can masons also be scum?

If your moderator doesn't explicitly say "You are confirmed masons with <person>", you can potentially have a scum mason.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

MEDS CURE SCHIZOS posted:

Doctor's a pretty good fakeclaim to buy another day. People are really really hesitant to lynch a claimed one, your results are completely falsifiable, and the fact that kills still happen mean you just didn't pick right.

The fact that he didn't claim being roleblocked until after Podima flipped is also a little bit damning.

Quoting myself from earlier as to why I was in full support of that lynch.

I'm against doctors counterclaiming, which is why I wasn't bothered that there wasn't a counterclaim.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Kashuno posted:

Glowku where did your PR come from

I'm not sure if this is along the same lines as Kashuno's question, but did you get any sort of flavor (similar to PMach saying he was distracted)?

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Mayor Glowku posted:

I'm not entirely sure if I'm allowed to copy paste so I will paraphrase... I woke up outside the tower covered in bruises. Someone lowered a rope to me but I didn't feel right about it. Looking around it was entirely swampland so I decided to go up the rope instead of looking around. It took me all day to climb back up the rope.

I feel like there's something missing here. Where did the Mr. Satan bit come from?

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Take a break and walk away, Kash.

The guy just dumped a shitton of raw notes on the thread. It's like a LumpenList™, but actually useful. Even if his particular brand of autism doesn't lend itself to analysis, there's bound to be something in there worth digging into.

I get that you're frustrated but this sure as hell isn't going to dissuade those three random shitpost votes on you.

Take a break and walk away.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Mayor Glowku posted:

That's literally all of my information.

Okay, let me see if I have this straight:

You woke up outside of the tower with bruises and climbed up a rope someone handed you. Somehow, this caused you to start talking like Mr. Satan.

Were you specifically told that you had to talk like Mr. Satan? That you had to choose <something> and talk like them?

The flavor you gave and the event don't have any correlation to each other, and without a similar dumb thing happening to someone else, this sticks out as really weird. It almost sounds like a jailer but there's no way to confirm that based off this information and if you have additional information that would suggest such, don't say a goddamned word.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Friction.123 posted:

What incentive would Glowku have to lie about a posting restriction?

Who knows. I'm trying to figure it out, but I agree with Rarity that it's alignment neutral.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Rarity posted:

The fact Kash isn't paying enough attention to realise there's a bunch of claimed VT is scummy as hell considering how much he's posting.

It's not scummy, he just doesn't give a poo poo any more.

He referenced in the circlejerk thread that he was frustrated with all of the shitposting in Mafia and decided it was easier to just join them rather than try and work through it.

It's why I asked him to step away from the game for a bit.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Friction.123 posted:

Did you ask him in the scumdoc to I bet he would read it there

I can't remember if I did or not. Could you scroll back through it and check for me? :wink:

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

I'm not liking Friction's case against SSV in the slightest and I don't like Friction for making it.

I don't think someone who pulled their vote after PMach claimed, only to place it back on PMach two hours before the deadline and putting him at -3 to lynch, actually cared about PMach's claim. PMach had two hours and four votes before he would have been lynched: The day wasn't in immediate danger of ending, nor would no lynching have been a problem for someone who actually believed the doctor claim. Friction's actions don't reflect someone who actually bought the doctor claim. They reflect someone who tried as hard as possible to look like a good townsperson: Don't vote for the claimed doctor because no townsperson would vote for one, don't encourage voting for the claimed doctor because no townsperson would push that case, begrudgingly put your vote back on the claimed townsperson because no-lynching is always bad for the town...

It's safe. So safe, in fact, that he's now taking the moral high ground on people who didn't wave on PMach. After all, surely the people who voted once for PMach earlier in the day are far more guilty than the guy who wavered on their conviction not to lynch PMach as soon as it was politically expedient to actually vote for the claimed doctor.

If you actually believe someone's doctor claim, try actually not voting for them. Put your money where your mouth is, take a position, and stand by it.

I can say that my position on PMach, wrong as it turned out to be, was actually consistent. Friction's position is entirely based on what will make him look like a good townsperson and not on actually identifying scum.

##vote Friction.123

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Because you don't do things like this:

Friction.123 posted:

People need to comment on my SSV case. Is it bad? Is it good? Have I found a witch?

This doesn't imply confidence in his own case. Rather than actually press the issue, he's playing it safe. He's asking for comments on his case, and I imagine that if it wasn't getting traction, he'd quietly drop it and hop onto something else.

This is not the behavior of someone who fully believes their own logic, this is someone worried about how they appear to the game as a whole. Townspeople shouldn't be this concerned with their own image and self-preservation, particularly when they've already been outed in the thread as a mason. It doesn't make any sense to me.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Friction.123 posted:

Or because I think it's a good case and want people to read and interact with it? If I wasn't confident, why wouldn't I just drop it in the thread and let people do what they wanted with it?

You sure made a lot of words there that hinge on one single post I've made.

Asking people to go back and consider your case is one thing.

"Is it good? Is it bad?" is pretty much "Guys, am I doing this right, please validate me".

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

How would scum have known the doctor claim was real?

Please, enlighten me and the thread.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Friction.123 posted:

This question is not genuine, but I will humor you with the easy answer you and anyone else can easily reach on your own.

Scum know PMach was not one of them, so worst case scenario for them he's a 3p and they want him dead. Best (and most likely case) he's actually the doc and guess what? They want him dead.

It's a perfectly valid question: There's a huge difference between "Scum don't care if the claim is valid or not" and "Scum would know that PMach was telling the truth". Your explanation is the former, yet you explicitly said the latter.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Friction.123 posted:

Honestly between willfully mistating my actual votes yesterday and the fact you never actually address *why* you don't like my case against SSV, I have to conclude you are just trying to get anything you can to stick against me and not actually scum hunting.

Nothing you're doing right now is genuine.

Let's go back a step: Why is lynching the claimed doctor better than a no-lynch?

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Friction.123 posted:

No, you're not actually trying to find scum. You're not asking that question because you care about the answer.

I answered that question when rarity asked it. You'll probably argue that she asked it differently, and that yours is better, or something. The answer is there though, if you actually want it.

Funny, I just reread your posts and couldn't find it.

I want to hear you explain how you can reconcile "I believe that this is the doctor and I shouldn't vote to lynch him" and "I don't want to no-lynch because no-lynching is worse than lynching a claimed doctor".

If you no-lynch the claimed doctor, barring any other interference, the doctor dies the next night. Scum lost their roleblocker, so just neutralizing the doctor's off the table. The watcher's dead, so scum aren't worried about being seen doing it. The doctor dies.

However, guess what that means? If scum are killing the claimed doctor, they're not hitting other people in the town.

If you lynch the claimed doctor as we did, then scum get free reign to kill whoever. Business as usual.

So, if you actually believed the claim and wanted to support the town, you wouldn't have voted to no-lynch, because you're sacrificing an additional townperson to do so. If you didn't believe the claim and thought it was caught scum trying to wriggle their way out, you're still culpable for the death, but you're not hiding behind layers of bullshit reasoning to do so.

So go ahead. Tell me that lynching the claimed doctor and sacrificing an additional townsperson was the right call.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Friction.123 posted:

You're writing a lot of words on this for someone with no actual high horse to stand on. You know, since you not only voted for PMach but also argued that we should ignore his doctor claim.

Answer the question.

How is lynching him better than no-lynching him if you believe the claim?

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

King Burgundy posted:

I went back and looked, and I can't find this.

Can you post where this happened?

My reread makes it seem like Friction never cared about the doc claim at the time, he never mentioned it at all and remained willing to vote Pmach most of the day.

I may have mixed up his insistence on being willing to vote for him with an actual vote.

Regardless, he remained on the fence while saying "Oh, I'd vote for him, I'd definitely vote for him", and now he's trying to say that he believed the claim but still wanted to avoid a no-lynch.

I still cannot understand how lynching the claimed doctor is better than a no-lynch if one believes the claim, and he doesn't seem to want to elaborate on it.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Friction.123 posted:

I'm amazed at how a player who actually cared about the answer found it so easily. I didn't care about the doc claim at the time. My case against SSV and my suspicions of MCS have always rested on the fact that they fought so hard for us to ignore said claim, not the fact that they voted against PMach, which anyone who was reading with a genuine interest in discerning truth would have concluded.

Why didn't you care?

Is it because you "definitely knew the doc claim was real at the time"?

Is it because it was completely immaterial to you?

How do you not care that a doctor just claimed in the thread? If the person is an actual doctor, it's the kiss of goddamn death. If they're not a doctor, it's the last-ditch desperation claim because everyone immediately takes a step back and reevaluates.

What in the gently caress is going on in your head?

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Friction.123 posted:

Oh geez what a bunch of hard questions, if only there were a convenient post that summarized the average persons thoughts at the time.

Oh wait a minute, there is! I seem to recall a post made that outlined several possibilities for why the doc claim was likely fake. I mean, I've briefly touched on it in the past but that was nothing compared to another fine upstanding gentlemen's post on the subject.

Oh right now I remember, it was your post MCS. That's the one I'm thinking of.

Ah. So you followed everybody else's logic, and when it turned out to be wrong, you invoke the power of hindsight.

When the case against PMach's claim was made, you agreed with it because it made sense at the time.

But oh, horror of horrors, the people who argued against it were wrong. Clearly, they were trying to trick you and not using the best information available at the time. It's their fault, not yours. You should make cases against those people.

But uh, make sure everyone else in the thread looks over your case and confirms whether it's good or bad. You wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of this lynch too, would you?

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Friction.123 posted:

Do you see me arguing against the people that cased PMach? No, just the ones who argued the loudest for us to ignore a doc claim?

The case you bought because doing so would give you an excuse to vote for a claimed doctor? Sure.

Everything you did involving the PMach claim was designed to absolve you of as much guilt as possible.

Didn't actually vote for PMach in the beginning? Well, you didn't want to seem like you were on the bandwagon.

Didn't want to address the doctor claim? If he was telling the truth, you didn't want to seem like you were arguing for a claimed doctor.

Hopped on the bandwagon late? You were just trying to avoid a no-lynch, since that's apparently worse than lynching a claimed doctor.

People argued against the doctor claim? Those are clearly the scum, not the people who tried their hardest to look squeaky clean throughout the affair.

Shall I continue outlining how you've been an opportunistic and spineless gently caress throughout this entire game, or have I beaten that horse to death?

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

King Burgundy posted:

This is where I'm at.

I don't think SSV and I should be maligned for coming to a conclusion based off of the available evidence.

A person the entire thread thought was scummy made a claim. I've explained why scum would have used said claim in that position. People agreed, he was lynched.

Unfortunately, it turned out that PMach was telling the truth, and now SSV and I are being maligned via hindsight. That's the problem. It's too easy to point at SSV and myself for pointing out how his claim could have been bullshit, as opposed to looking at the legion of "What they said!" voters who didn't actually think for themselves, who are now the ones going "Well, someone convinced me that it was bullshit and it wasn't...".

It's bullshit and I'm legitimately annoyed at it.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Friction.123 posted:

Ok, I'll humor this because it does have some decent explanation behind it. How do you explain SSV's not one, not two, but three gibbis bandwagon votes?

I'm not here to defend that portion of it, because frankly, I have no skin in that game.

I'm trying to walk people back from the "He convinced me the doc claim was bullshit" ledge.

SSV's a big boy, he can defend his own bullshit votes.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

And honestly, if the GBS bullshit votes are more of the focus of your case, then I overreacted a bit. My bad.

##unvote

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Friction.123 posted:

What I am finding scummy is the fact that, while I was not confident enough in my conclusion to argue for it, you and SSV were.

Confidence comes with having seen and done that sort of nonsense before. Takes one to spot one.

Ask me about the time I lied for four consecutive days about being a tracker in a game while evading heat worse than PMach.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Welcome to the party, friend. :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Kashuno posted:

Show me where gannygrabber is playing mafia

Careful. You can't just ask that of people who are here to hang out and chill, you'll destroy entire games and make people hate you.

• Locked thread