Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

HBar posted:

Judith Chiang, Nav Officer

Brad almost has the right idea, except we still gotta wait for those slowpokes in the Athene.

Brad Nicholson, Cargo Foreman

"Huh? Nah, Judith, you're mistaken. Athene is not coming with us, but jumping in once we've scouted the area. I mean, even Sarana is going to get the hell out of dodge immediately after it has dumped us. A complete solo mission, this one!"

"See, here's even the relevant bit of VIA's infodump:"

Gravedust posted:

TONE-0:[Objective reached] - Should be placed at the closest viable egress point to the epicenter. Athene will jump to this beacon, assisted by Sarama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

That's what I get for spending my briefing time doodling draft sketches of that sweet artwork. Half-paid attention and thought we were helping her jump out instead of in.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Ivana Sendvič - Science Officer

Is welcomed to be back for new Science mission all the peoples! All ship working together with experiment highest purpose! Grand time to be having; Hoorj! :D

Is also happy to welcome new members of team; advanced probe one and two! I propose celebration to laudate potential future achievement of sensor comrades, and also for to poll the names!
Whatmore democratic ideal is there to strive for than the naming of machines for Science??? Truly is age of many!

Now first step on journey into ridiculous concept of the "space middle" may begin, is more than humble Ivana can ask for be present at but will be present at all the same, much humbled.

===========STARSHIP CONTROL========================
[Helm]
-North 6
[Weapons]
-No
[Damage Control]
-Was ever full damage check reported? VIA! Please damage check full damage check reporter!
[Sensors]
-q11
[Engineering]
-Engines
Comms
-[Encrypted databurst to Totally Legit Science Institution]: Hello is Ivana! Is going back into deepest space, where solidness is being weird. Is anythink you wish studied ya?
-[Message to Athene] Hello fellow science persons aboard fine ship Athene, this is Science Officer Ivana Sendvič of Laucustrine! Happy to be of serve for fellow academik, is anythinks spesifik you want scienced at before you arrive yes?

Optional
Vote for name Advanced Probe One: Majkaüe - After dear mother! She met father at swim Olympic; her name on probe will ensure speedy data for all!
Vote for name Advanced Probe Two: Meddling Fool - After tradition most serious; that of science to play God.
Vote for Noseart: Noseart is goodart but Ivana Scientist not Ivana Artist, is only know good nose art when see. More options needed before vote can be laid yes?
======================================

Citizen Kane 13
Apr 2, 2011

Service Guarantees Citizenship

Would you like to know more?

Judith Chiang, Nav Officer posted:

Nose Art: The Lady of the Lake

Jack Rafferty, Comms Officer
"Fittting, considering the name we decided on. not sure how well that'd work for noseart, though. Strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government, let alone Ship command structure. Not to mention it may not show up well against the vast inky blackness of space. Perhaps something along these lines?"

"Or perhaps something like this?"

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

"Sure, let's go with a lady lifting a sword from a lake. No objection to that."

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Malda Hiyre, Redshirt

We're just using our sensitive barbels to scour the lakebed for morsels of food, nothing threatening here:

Let's get going.

Helm: north 6
Engineering: engines

e: more sturgeon why not

Abyssal Squid fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jun 9, 2016

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
((Sorry for the slow updates this week, bit low on time and a bit heavy on stuff to do. Hopefully next will be better.
Also, after thinking about it, I've decided that due to their fragility, you probably need more probes… So now you get 4, but you can still only have 2 active at once, on per launcher.))

===========CCS========================
[Helm]
(3)North(6)
[Weapons]
[n/a]
[Damage Control]
[n/a]
[Sensors]
(1)Scan K-16
(1)Scan Q-11
Rolloff= K-16 wins
Engineering
(2) Engines

Comms posted:

[To Sarama]
"Hi again guys! Hope you had as nice a shore leave as we did! Anyways, we are coming in fast, so be prepared."

Sarama posted:

Yeah, it was pretty alright. We're ready for you as soon as you get here, let's get this Fun Train a-rollin' towards our probable demise. Hope the coords the AI gave us are good, otherwise it's gonna be a short trip.

[To TLSI]
Hello is Ivana! Is going back into deepest space, where solidness is being weird. Is anythink you wish studied ya?

TLSI - Encrypted posted:

Fantastic, I love it! Listen we'll pay for any data you can retrieve for us, and at triple rate for anything substantial you can uncover about the Core Object. Also, we have a ship heading to the core, but we're waaaaay behind our competitors. Anything you can do to help that ship get closer to the Core Object would be worth a lot to us!
((You have time to respond to this message before the jump))

[To Athene]
Hello fellow science persons aboard fine ship Athene, this is Science Officer Ivana Sendvič of Laucustrine! Happy to be of serve for fellow academik, is anythinks spesifik you want scienced at before you arrive yes?

Athene posted:

Thank you for your offer… I think for now just concentrate on finding us a safe spot to jump to. …Of course, a brief word about the hazards of the area once we arrive would be very welcome.

Sarama posted:

Jump preparations complete. Commencing countdown.

Jump in T-Minus six minutes and twelve seconds.

Jump in T-Minus six minutes and ten seconds.

Jump in T-Minus six minutes and eight seconds.

Jump in T-Minus six minutes and six seconds.

Jump in T-Minus six minutes and four seconds.

Jump in T-Minus six minutes and just kidding, we're going right now. Punch that poo poo.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
((No time to illustrate what happens next, as I intended, so instead words: ))

Traveling through jump-space hardly feels like traveling at all. Despite the mind-throttlingly herculean effort that Sarama's reactor and jump drive are putting into maintaining the bubble of phase space around itself and your ship, there is basically no sensation of motion at all. Just an odd pull at the very start, which feels remarkably like the feeling when you tip back to far in your chair. This lasts about half a second, after which… Nothing.

Really it's about as exciting as sitting at spacedock. There's nothing to look at; the outside is a featureless, perfectly black void, because outside light simply cannot get to where you are at the moment. There is no engine noise, just the constant, low thrum of the reactor doing it's thing, and the air scrubbers scrubbing away. In all, it's pretty serene.

Which only accentuates the moment of sick horror that ensues as Sarama's Captain's panicked voice breaks out over the comms:

"SHIIIIIIT I've got mass at the egress!! Bad coords! We're gonna get f-"

The last, artificially clipped syllable corresponds exactly with a constellation of ear-splitting impacts running the length of the hull, each accompanied by a jarring tremor. Lacustrine wriggles like a bait minnow with a hook through it's nose, and the crew compartments are flooded in amber light and warning klaxons. The light of normal space bursts across the viewscreens, tilting crazily as both Sarama and your ship spill slantways fully out of phase.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VIA posted:

OH GODDAMN SPACE FUC- ...Uh, I mean;

Well, it looks like we've had some bad luck, and egressed in the middle of a nebula. I have evidence of thousands of microparticular impacts, it's like we got sandblasted… I'm reading damage all over the ship, including some minor pressurization.. Uh.. Issues. Maybe keep your breathers handy? But so far, nothing critical!!!

It looks like Sarama got a similar drubbing, their comms are down for the moment but I am not seeing any critical damage there either!
More good news!!!

Also there is A.. Uh.. Space battle of some sort occurring nearby. As well as.. Um..

Gar'xx'tuur posted:

>>>>WELL>>>><
>>>>HELLO>>AGAIN>>>>FRIENDS>>>><
>>IT'S >NICE> TO SEE >>>FAMILIAR>>> FACES>><
>>SO FAR FROM >>>HOME>>>ISN'T IT?>><

>> ;) ><

PRIMARY MISSION OBJECTIVES=============================
Navigate to the Core Object: IN PROGRESS
Athene scan of Core Object: IN PROGRESS
------------------------------------------------
BONUS OBJECTIVES
Mark Safe Egress Zones(0/#)
=======================================================

[Helm]
- Choose a direction- (North, South, East West)
- Choose a speed- (0-3) (defaults to full speed)
[Weapons]
- Choose a target-
[Damage Control]
-Choose a ship section to repair-
[Sensors]
-Chose an object to scan-
Engineering
-Choose a function to boost - (Engines, Weapons, Sensors, Damage Control, Tractor Beam)
Comms
-Say whatever to whoever-
Optional
Deploy a Probe. (Requires at least 2 votes) Up to 2 probes may be active at once.
Activate Theanterium Power Cell (Boosts all Stations, 1 use) (Requires at least 4 votes)
Deploy a Signal Beacon -----[TONE-0:[Objective reached]------[TONE-1:[Safe egress point]------[TONE-2:[Extract required] (Requires at least 2 votes)
All players welcome! :)

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Well, gently caress.

VIA, can you identify the affiliation of the ships in combat to the south?

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
(( Okay, so as far as Insignia stuff goes, it looks like we've got 3 major categories under consideration:

A: Chicks in lakes with swords
B: Just Lakes
C: The Majestic Sturgeon (or fish in general)
D: (Add one)

I guess let's figure out what category people seem to like the most, then settle on a particular image.

Also: Name a Probe!
))

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
A

Probes: Tanganyika, Baikal, Victoria, Huron

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Mick Telford, Junior Tactical Officer Second Class

"Uh, yeah I'm going to go ahead and classify this as a Code Brown situation, we've been penetrated more than my brother's wife on her wedd-- ahem, inappropriate comm traffic, Mick."

Helm: North 6

Insignia Talk Chicks in lakes with swords works for me.

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

my dad posted:

VIA, can you identify the affiliation of the ships in combat to the south?

quote:

Yes, I will have a more detailed report compiled soon, but it appears the two sides engaged in combat are the Skes and the Jiron.

The Skes part of a multispecies empire made up of genetically similarized caste-races.

The Jiron are a young but technologically adept species. I have little data on them, but that cruiser design is in the HASF database.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Thank you, VIA.

Hexenritter posted:

Helm: North 6

Going into an acid nebula with our shields down and 2 systems down to 2HP is suicidal at best.

[Probe1] Deploy, East 3 (S21), scan(regular) the heavily damaged SKO destroyer.

[Helm] 6 West (J21)
[Weapons] Preheat
[Damage Control] Phason Cannon 1
[Sensors] E19, the destroyed cruiser
[Engineering] Engines

[Comms]
<Gar'xx'tuur> Greetings, friend. The joy is mutual. Apologies about the mishap yesterday, the crewman responsible for it has been executed. Best of luck with your mission.
<Clusterfuck to the South> If you're not too busy exploding someone or being exploded yourself, we're open to hearing reasons as to why we should or shouldn't interfere in your fight.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Questions for VIA:
-Does humanity have any relations (positive or negative) with the Skes or Jiron?
-Do you know whether either has relations with the Qura'xxo?
-Does the HA have any treaties with the Qura'xxo in this sector?
-Does damage reduce the effectiveness of our ship components, or can our engineers keep them functional until the component is destroyed?

e: More questions:
-I don't see anything that looks like an obvious epicenter. Could the core object be one of the unidentified objects here, or might it be in an adjacent sector?
-What are the required conditions for a usable egress point? Does it need a certain number of clear subsectors? In every direction or just one direction?
-If a probe bay gets destroyed after it launched a probe, does the probe still work?

HBar fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 11, 2016

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Judith Chiang, Nav Officer

A fits our name and our mission. We're giving humanity access to a legendary artifact that may grant it power over all.

[Helm]: West 6
[Damage Control]: Maser Turret
[Sensors]: Regular Scan JRN Cruiser
[Engineering]: Boost Engines
[Optional]: Deploy Probe
[Probe 1]: East 3, regular scan wounded JKO destroyer. Adopt the name Larry for no particular reason.
[Comms]:
[encrypted tightbeam to JRN Cruiser]: Greetings, we're the human frigate Lacustrine. We don't wish you any harm if you don't wish any to us. Are you also here to investigate the core event? What prompted the fight between you and the Skes? What's your opinion of the Qura'xxo? What do you think the Skes destroyers think about the Qura'xxo?
[encrypted tightbeams to SKO Destroyers]: Greetings, we're the human frigate Lacustrine. We don't wish you any harm if you don't wish any to us. Are you also here to investigate the core event? What prompted the fight between you and the Jiron? What's your opinion of the Qura'xxo? What do you think the Jiron cruiser thinks about the Qura'xxo?

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Malda Hiyre, Redshirt

Helm: West 3
Weapons: no shooty
Damage Control: probe bay 2
Sensors: damaged cruiser at N 28
Engineering: damage control
Deploy Probe from Bay 1
Deploy Signal Beacon: Tone 1 after movement

What were the odds of jumping into a nebula! Ha ha. :rolleyes: Our top priority is NOT DYING, we need to shore up our most damaged systems first and mark an egress lane ASAP. It's not an ideal location but we can lay down endpoints for one in two moves, which is better than nothing if we need backup. After we get that mapped out we can go further west into the black nebulae. H 12-16 looks like a good egress lane that we can reach quickly.

Insignia: C I'm probably alone in this but if I'm not gonna vote for my own suggestion then who will? I just like wildlife.
Probes, bay 1: Buffy, Redhead
Probes, bay 2: Walleye, Pumpkin

Abyssal Squid fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jun 11, 2016

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

yeah I meant west not north, I don't know what came over me

Citizen Kane 13
Apr 2, 2011

"gently caress'n'poo poo. Think I bashed my face on the console there. Now, what the hell happened?" ... "Great... Hail Murphy, patron saint of this voyage... Everyone ok? Glad we put fuses in everything on the bridge up here and removed all the lens flare generators. Probably would have went up like a roman candle otherwise."

[VIA] "Where exactly are we in relation to the Core? I'm assuming it's still many sectors away. Also, can we Tractor Sarama out of the nebula if we need to?"

-----In Order-----
[Sensors] Is Sarama ok? Do they need help?
[Engineering] Engines
[Helm] 6 West (J21)
[Weapons] Track targets South, but no firing yet.
[Damage Control] Shield Room, reports say they are venting and this is probably gonna be keeping us from spacing.
[Comms] Allow normal traffic.
-<Gar'xx'tuur> Salutations! Was your embassy able to provide the relief you needed?
[Probe] Deploy at J21. North 3. Deep Scan Cruiser at E19
[Beacons] Do not deploy any yet.

-----Voting!-----
[Noseart] Either A or B is good
[Probes] If we go with A on Noseart: Robin (noseart of a chicken), Lancelot (noseart of a Dragon), Bedevere (noseart of a tree) and Galahad (noseart of a Medieval Cross or a water drop)
If we go with anything else: Larry, Curly, Moe and Shemp

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

[Retroactive Comms Burst to Totally Legit Science Institution]
A.OK Science buddies! Ivana fetch many data for you :)

[Retroactive Comms Burst to Science Vessle Athene]
Hoh yes! See you on the the others side of coin, as saying is!

---

Aaah! Why is probe-bay on fire? Who did experiment with entire hull of ship?! Whyfor was not plasma air conditioning banned for use by Alliance!!?! Is Woe!! :eek:

[Helm]: 3 West
[Weapons]: What is obstructing Maser Turret? Test-fire to see if work!
[Damage Control]: Shield Generations please, is only thing protecting Ivana from terrible secret of space :(
[Sensors]: e19
[Engineering]: Power To Damage Control, all of it!!
Comms: Gentle screaming into night! Lament cruel fate of bad jump co-ordinates!
Probes Launch probe!! Scan for us please wounded SKO destroyer currently at s27

Optional
Vote for name Advanced Probe One: Majkaüe - After dear mother! She met father at swim Olympic; her name on probe will ensure speedy data for all!
Vote for name Advanced Probe Two: Meddling Fool - After tradition most serious; that of science to play God.
Vote for name Advanced Probe Three: Ravencrow - Noble science bird! Much inquis!
Vote for name Advanced Probe Four: The Babies - Who is more keen explore? Is no one.
Vote for Noseart: Maybe water nymph giving the sturgeon of science? Is very romantic yes?

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Abyssal Squid posted:

Malda Hiyre, Redshirt

Helm: West 3
Weapons: no shooty
Damage Control: probe bay 2
Sensors: damaged cruiser at N 28
Engineering: damage control
Deploy Probe from Bay 1
Deploy Signal Beacon: Tone 1 after movement

What were the odds of jumping into a nebula! Ha ha. :rolleyes: Our top priority is NOT DYING, we need to shore up our most damaged systems first and mark an egress lane ASAP. It's not an ideal location but we can lay down endpoints for one in two moves, which is better than nothing if we need backup. After we get that mapped out we can go further west into the black nebulae. H 12-16 looks like a good egress lane that we can reach quickly.

Insignia: C I'm probably alone in this but if I'm not gonna vote for my own suggestion then who will? I just like wildlife.
Probes, bay 1: Buffy, Redhead
Probes, bay 2: Walleye, Pumpkin

"unhh, ow, is that blood..? Sheeshs GODDAMN this smarts. Managed to go and hit my head, it seems. Let's just go with what Malda says, except for the insignia which should be A. Otherwise she seems to be talking sense. As for me, I'm off to the sick bay."

"...Wait do we even HAVE a sick bay?"

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Theantero posted:

"unhh, ow, is that blood..? Sheeshs GODDAMN this smarts. Managed to go and hit my head, it seems. Let's just go with what Malda says, except for the insignia which should be A. Otherwise she seems to be talking sense. As for me, I'm off to the sick bay."

"...Wait do we even HAVE a sick bay?"

No :D
We have cryopods for emergency freeze, damage control for the sickness of ship and Ivana Sendvič for all other experiments!
Please bring your blood to my office at earliest convenient! I fix!

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

No :D
We have cryopods for emergency freeze, damage control for the sickness of ship and Ivana Sendvič for all other experiments!
Please bring your blood to my office at earliest convenient! I fix!

"...Yeah, on second thought, I'm certain this old discarded oil rag makes for a perfectly fine emergency bandage."

Citizen Kane 13
Apr 2, 2011

Brad Nicholson, Cargo Foreman posted:

"...Yeah, on second thought, I'm certain this old discarded oil rag makes for a perfectly fine emergency bandage."

"Oh goddamit Brad, if nothing else get up here to the bridge. There's medical supplies up here, at least. Dunno why you don't have a stash of meds down there or at least access to a Doc-droid, considering handling cargo is usually one of the more dangerous lines of work around here. Second to getting within twenty paces of Ivana's Lab..."

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Aren't we supposed to deploy the beacons in the dark nebula rather than out here in the open? Or did I misunderstand the mission objectives?

Citizen Kane 13
Apr 2, 2011

I thought we were supposed to deploy them near dark nebulae. Not in them. I'm also assuming that if a ship came out of jump in a dark nebula they'd get the same sandblasted effect we did. Because Nebula.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Pretty much. I doubt that dropping off egress beacons right out in the open will count for secondary objectives, but at least it gives friendly ships something to work with if they need to rush in.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Anyway, adding don't deploy beacons to my vote.

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
((Howdy folks, sorry for any confusion. I will answer questions as soon as a get a chance, this weekend is just really chock full of stuff that needs to be done. Will try to do an exposition block tomorrow if I can, round closing will also be delayed a bit extra so people can make decisions while knowing what's going on. ;) Thanks for your patience. :) ))

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
James MacMillar, Gunnery Officer

"Happy to introduce myself to everyone now. Better late than never. You see, while you guys were at liberty, the Alliance realized that they sent you off on your last mission without a qualified gunnery officer. And considering the close call you guys found yourselves in, they decided to rectify that mistake. So I'm here to consult with in case anything goes tits up. Hopefully that won't happen soon. Anyway, seems like we'll be arriving to the sector shortly--- poo poo poo poo poo poo gently caress"

"OH MY GOD THE GUNS ARE ON FIRE"

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
((Still...getting...caught..up... But round tomorrow, possibly, depending.))

HBar posted:

Questions for VIA:
-Does humanity have any relations (positive or negative) with the Skes or Jiron?
-Do you know whether either has relations with the Qura'xxo?
-Does the HA have any treaties with the Qura'xxo in this sector?
-Does damage reduce the effectiveness of our ship components, or can our engineers keep them functional until the component is destroyed?

e: More questions:
-I don't see anything that looks like an obvious epicenter. Could the core object be one of the unidentified objects here, or might it be in an adjacent sector?
-What are the required conditions for a usable egress point? Does it need a certain number of clear subsectors? In every direction or just one direction?
-If a probe bay gets destroyed after it launched a probe, does the probe still work?

quote:

Hm, let's see, In order:

(re: HA/Skes/Jiron relations)
The Human Alliance has so far had little contact with the Jiron. Their territories are located comparatively far from most places frequented by humans.
The Alliance has been in conflict several times with the Skes, however, as part of a multispecies offensive to reclaim several sectors overrun by them. This occurred about 10 years ago, and involved 5 other space forces besides the HASF. A more detailed account of the Skes is in the works, but hopefully this information will suffice for now.

(re: Qura'xxo/Skes/Jiron relations)
Unsurprisingly, The Skes and Qura'xxo have been in on-and-off conflict numerous times, as they are both fairly belligerent.

(re: treaties w/ Qura'xxo)
The nonaggression pact signed by the HA and Qura'xxo does not effect this area, I'm afraid.

(re: reduction of effectiveness via damage)
((For reasons of simplicity, everything will perform perfectly until it fails completely. :P Excepting the possibility of, uh, any Plot-related damage that might occur.))

(re: Location of epicentre)
We are at least 1.75 sectors from the predicted location of the epicenter, which is directly north of us. More precise location data should be available, but this whole area is full of weird energies and radiation which is making astrogation (and everything else, seemingly) more difficult than it should be.

(re: Useable egress point)
A good egress point absolutely must be free of debris or nebular matter, or.. You've seen what happens. Ideally the SubSectors ((map squares)) around it should also empty, to allow ships to jump in in formation. Another consideration is the presence of a viable jumpway nearby, so ships can leave quickly after a successful mission (or an aborted one). Additionally, a prospective jump point that is surrounded by a nearby black nebula on one or more sides would help conceal the identities of the ships jumping in, which might lend a tactical advantage.

(re: Probe Bays)
In addition to the launching mechanism, each probe bay also includes equipment to remotely control the probe and interpret the data received from it… If we were to lose the station the probe was slaved to, that would seriously disrupt operations… However a workaround could probably be achieved by either having the surviving probe station run double duty, or patching Lacustrine's comms system to do the work. In either case both probes would be useable, but functionality would be decreased.

Citizen Kane 13 posted:

[VIA] "Where exactly are we in relation to the Core? I'm assuming it's still many sectors away. Also, can we Tractor Sarama out of the nebula if we need to?"

quote:

Yes, as mentioned, we are probably 1 or more sectors away from the event site. Hm.. I suppose we could use our tractor to tow Sarama if that becomes necessary, but it would take some time.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
So... the Jiron look like potentially better allies than the Skes, but at the moment, it looks like they're losing the battle. Not sure if it's worth intervening, considering the hurry we're in.

Here's my idea of safe jump spots. The big red one obviously lacks cover, but can be used to bring in as many ships as needed, and the black ones have a degree of cover thanks to black nebulae, though one of them would require us to tractor beam an object away from it.

VIA, I presume a beacon can be set up to specify which direction it's safe to jump in and how wide the lane is, right?

Would it be possible for a probe to move a beacon to a location?

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Malda Hiyre, Redshirt

The Jiron could offer us scones and marmalade and I'd still want to stay the hell away from them. Our ship is falling apart and our shields are down, last thing we need is to send out an open invitation to come pick at our bones.

Let's get Probe Bay 2 and Phason Cannon 1 patched up and then we can start thinking about picking fights, but if Cargo Bay 1 goes we'll have failed the mission right there. And on top of that we'd lose a sensible head like Brad's.

Citizen Kane 13
Apr 2, 2011

"Yeah, while it sounds like we'll want to avoid the Skeksis, and it'd be nice for a friend this deep in the bush, we don't know enough about the Jironi to know if they'd go for that. Or if they'd want to eat our faces. For now, let's just say that "The enemy of my enemy is my enemy's enemy, no more, no less." And leave it at that. For the Beacon, E02-F06 (why do those coordinates look backwards to me?) is looking like the best area to me. Although, if we're only a few sectors away from our mission objective we may want to put a few in the sector"

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

VIA, one more question: Do our probes have a range limit? If we drop one here and then move two sectors towards the core, can we still see what it's doing and send commands?

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
((Continuing to be sorry for continuing delays. Sigh.))

my dad posted:

VIA, I presume a beacon can be set up to specify which direction it's safe to jump in and how wide the lane is, right?

Would it be possible for a probe to move a beacon to a location?

quote:

…No, actuallly. The beacon's source of transmission reveals where it is, but it's actual signal carries almost no information at all, as anything complex would become garbled. That's why we have prearranged what message each tone stands for.

If you planned to place beacons only in clear areas of a certain size, you could send that information back with Sarama. Otherwise I think anyone planning to jump in would assume that only the exact coordinates of the beacon are safe.

Probes are not equipped to tractor or otherwise move objects, unfortunately.

HBar posted:

VIA, one more question: Do our probes have a range limit? If we drop one here and then move two sectors towards the core, can we still see what it's doing and send commands?

quote:

Unfortunately probes do have a maximum range, beyond which they can't communicate effectively with their parent ship any longer. We'd probably need to be in the same Sector with a probe for it to function effectively.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

I've been assuming that we'll need to mark both ends of an egress lane (or two corners of a field). I suppose we could also use solitary beacons to mark the center of a 3x3 field.

How's about this code: When we put down a Tone 1, after 4 turns and no other beacons have been put in valid locations, it should be treated as being at the center of a 3x3 rectangle. If a second beacon is put offset from the first by 0 or 1 squares, they mark the corners of a 1x3 or 2x3 (or longer) rectangle. Treat Tone 0 like Tone 1 for purposes of boundary marking. Tone 2 does not carry any egress lane information, except that if we drop it before a solitary Tone 1 resolves as either a 3x3 or a rectangle corner, that beacon should also be ignored.

tl;dr Tones 0 and 1, mark opposite corners of rectangles, or else the center of a square if not paired. Tone 2, "come in at the closest rectangle."

Also VIA, is there any chance of getting more beacons as the mission goes on, a jump in, transfer cargo, jump out deal, or are these six beacons all we've got?

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

Abyssal Squid posted:

I've been assuming that we'll need to mark both ends of an egress lane (or two corners of a field). I suppose we could also use solitary beacons to mark the center of a 3x3 field.

How's about this code: When we put down a Tone 1, after 4 turns and no other beacons have been put in valid locations, it should be treated as being at the center of a 3x3 rectangle. If a second beacon is put offset from the first by 0 or 1 squares, they mark the corners of a 1x3 or 2x3 (or longer) rectangle. Treat Tone 0 like Tone 1 for purposes of boundary marking. Tone 2 does not carry any egress lane information, except that if we drop it before a solitary Tone 1 resolves as either a 3x3 or a rectangle corner, that beacon should also be ignored.

tl;dr Tones 0 and 1, mark opposite corners of rectangles, or else the center of a square if not paired. Tone 2, "come in at the closest rectangle."

Also VIA, is there any chance of getting more beacons as the mission goes on, a jump in, transfer cargo, jump out deal, or are these six beacons all we've got?

quote:

A useful idea! I think the initial thought was for each beacon to represent the center of a 3x3 space, but I suppose we could send additional instructions back with Sarama if necessary.
Do note however that while we have many Tone-1 beacons, we only have a single Tone-0 and Tone-2 beacon each. Resupply will not be possible, as the beacons were a specialized build, and Sarama, as our only transport vessel, does not have a significant cargo capacity.

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
((Okay, Insignia voting seems pretty strongly in the A category, so let's see some submissions in the swordslakewoman category!

Also I think I dun goofed by asking for probe names; so how about if you vote to launch a probe, also include the name you like for it. It'll go to either the most popular, or a rolloff. The one this round will be Majkaüe, since that was the 1st suggested. :)
))
----------------------------------------------------------
===========CCS========================
[Helm]
(7)West(6,6,6,3,6,3,3)

[Weapons]
(2) No weapons fire
(1)Test fire maser

[Damage Control]
(1)phason1
(1)maser turret
(2)probe bay 2
(2)shield room
Rolloff- Shield room wins

[Sensors]
(2)E19
(1)Sarama
(2)JRN cruiser

[Engineering]
(3)Engines
(3)Damage Control
Rolloff - Engines win

[Option]
(6) Deploy Probe (S21)
(2)(-1) deploy beacon (Does not pass threshold)

Comms posted:

[to Gar'xx'tuur] Greetings, friend. The joy is mutual. Apologies about the mishap yesterday, the crewman responsible for it has been executed. Best of luck with your mission.

[to Gar'xx'tuur] Salutations! Was your embassy able to provide the relief you needed?

Gar'xx'tuur posted:

>YES> I HAVE >>>NO DOUBT>>>THAT ALL HAS TRANSPIRED>>>>EXACTLY>>>>AS YOU SAY><
>>>>:EXAGERRATED HUMAN EYEROLL:>>>><
>NO< HOW DO I>>><
:rolleye:
>>THERE, YES><

>>LISTEN>>>>FRAGMENTS,>>>>YOUR CONDESCENDING>>>>LIES>>>> REVEAL YOUR>>INNERMOST>>SECRET FEELINGS>><
>>IN YOUR CRIPPLINGLY FLAWED BRAIN>> YOU TRULY>>>>BELIEVE>>>>YOU ARE >>BETTER>> THAN ME>>>><
>>REALIZE NOW THE>>>>GROSS INACCURACY>>>>OF YOUR SELF ESTEEM!!><
>> SEE HOW MUCH>>>CLOSER>>> I AM TO MY >>>>GOAL>>>> THAN YOU!>><

[To Clusterfuck to the South] If you're not too busy exploding someone or being exploded yourself, we're open to hearing reasons as to why we should or shouldn't interfere in your fight.

[encrypted tightbeam to JRN Cruiser]: Greetings, we're the human frigate Lacustrine. We don't wish you any harm if you don't wish any to us. Are you also here to investigate the core event? What prompted the fight between you and the Skes? What's your opinion of the Qura'xxo? What do you think the Skes destroyers think about the Qura'xxo?

JRN Cruiser posted:

Many many many questions, Lacustrine. Many many will have to wait, fighting is worth paying attention to. But I assure you that if no harm comes from you, no harm will come to you. From ourways, at least.

[encrypted tightbeams to SKO Destroyers]: Greetings, we're the human frigate Lacustrine. We don't wish you any harm if you don't wish any to us. Are you also here to investigate the core event? What prompted the fight between you and the Jiron? What's your opinion of the Qura'xxo? What do you think the Jiron cruiser thinks about the Qura'xxo?

SKO Destroyer posted:

You speak to Admiral Skes'raaka Isjhannu Noiu, Commander of 148th fast attack wing. You've got some thick organs, to jump blind into a junkyard like this. I can respect that. Listen close: I'm ordered to engage any ship that enters the Empire's new quarantine zone around the Core. So how about you make life easy for both of us and clear out of here before I'm forced to have my wing shoot you up. Nothing personal, you understand, I'm sure we both have orders. But if you proceed towards the core it'll be my duty to run you down.

Sarama posted:

-nd we're back. Sorry about that, power flux cooked the comms gear for a bit. We took a beating but for the most part we are in good running order. Gonna spool up and then get the hell out of dodge.

PRIMARY MISSION OBJECTIVES=============================
Navigate to the Core Object: IN PROGRESS
Athene scan of Core Object: IN PROGRESS
------------------------------------------------
BONUS OBJECTIVES
Mark Safe Egress Zones(0/#)
=======================================================

[Helm]
- Choose a direction- (North, South, East West)
- Choose a speed- (0-3) (defaults to full speed)
[Weapons]
- Choose a target-
[Damage Control]
-Choose a ship section to repair-
[Sensors]
-Chose an object to scan-
Engineering
-Choose a function to boost - (Engines, Weapons, Sensors, Damage Control, Tractor Beam)
Comms
-Say whatever to whoever-
Optional
Deploy a Probe. (Requires at least 2 votes) Up to 2 probes may be active at once.
Activate Theanterium Power Cell (Boosts all Stations, 1 use) (Requires at least 4 votes)
Deploy a Signal Beacon -----[TONE-0:[Objective reached]------[TONE-1:[Safe egress point]------[TONE-2:[Extract required] (Requires at least 2 votes)
All players welcome! :)

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Well, on one hand we're going to have to fight the SKO destroyers at some point, and we want to join the fight while they are also fighting the JRN cruiser. We also want to our ship to not be half-way to blowing up when we do move out. One more turn?

Also: can we deploy signal beacons during our movement or only when we start/end? And do we suspect that jumping into the black nebula was dangerous as jumping into the red one was?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

nothing to seehere posted:

Also: can we deploy signal beacons during our movement or only when we start/end? And do we suspect that jumping into the black nebula was dangerous as jumping into the red one was?

quote:

(( Probes and signal beacons can be deployed at any point along your path, beginning, middle or end, just state where you want them to be launched. I was going a bit fast this round and I miiight have forgotten to write down any details regarding probe launch points. >.> If it's important the probe position can be retroactively adjusted for next round.

Also, jumping into any kind of nebula will be damaging, yep ))

• Locked thread