Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Fortuna, Goddess of Luck
Roll: 3

5 Materials: Marble, gold, dice, straw, manure

Technically bad luck is also luck, so.... just as planned?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

So we need to choose a type of rock? I'm going to stick with marble for now.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Marble, Gold, Fire

edit: Rock & Metal, Only Fire

hollylolly fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 5, 2016

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

+1 to Catmandu!

This wisp likes games.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

+1 Sullo

For he is most full of misfortune and un-luck, of all the gods. This wisp is drawn to him and applies what power it possesses to help him.

Wisp count: 2

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

+1 to update :buddy:

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

-1 to Illarin

:argh: Don't be mean to the Fortunats!!

Wisp count=3

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

+1 to Sullo

Fly, island, fly!

Wisp count: 4

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

This is total

B
S

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

A upwards!

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

1A
2C

I just feel sorry for poor Deesix. The gods dealt cruelly with him.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

D

Trying to find a good outcome for Deesix is always the failing option, I fear.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

E Deesix, :frogout:

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Fortuna, goddess of luck
Godhood go go go go: 1d100 55+4=59?

:sigh:

Still, it's better than the 3 I rolled last time!

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

+1 to Eleathas

Wisp count: 5

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

I'm holding back my wisp action until the other gods post, but punting the Laitache off the floating island is a dick move!

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

-1 to CZAR!

Such a meaniehead. :colbert: I know they say pride goes before the fall but this is ridiculous. ;)

Wisp points: 6

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

+1 Eleathas

Wispings: 7

Fix the hole, Sterling!

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Pyrex is glass. :colbert:

+1 Tarix

Wisp Actions: 8

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

D
R

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

C - Heal!

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

:3:

1D
2B

Let's go see these secrets in the glass forests, and hear who's making the thuds. :D

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

BCA

You had me going there for a minute, dogkisser!

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

A, Determination

:woop:

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Fortuna, goddess of LUCK/FORTUNE

Godhood check #3: 1d100 80+ 8 = 88

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Unless I've miscounted I'm hanging out in 5th place. :angel:

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Did I actually make it? :ohdear: I'll do up an icon ASAP.

edit: Apologies in advance for how terrible this is - it's as close as I could get to be a blindfolded woman holding a cornucopia! :lol::lol:

hollylolly fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 18, 2016

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Fortuna, goddess of Luck

A blind goddess wanders Somewhere, fallen from the ether in an act of pure chance. Her name was Fortuna, and when she reached out with her godly senses she discovered a People in dire need of some Luck. Specifically, Good Luck.

The Fortugnat, the Cursed, Abandoned, Decimated, Enslaved - their names were all titles of woe. Fortuna saw their wretched existence and desired to help them. She had the power to change their fortunes, but she knew that her powers could inflict Bad instead of Good Luck. She would be careful, and start small.

First they needed a home. A safe place, free from Water, where the Laitache could not attack them. She made herself known to the Fortugnats, spoke to them beguilingly, and told them her plan. "I am Fortuna," she said, "I see your plight, dear Fortugnats, and I will help you. Follow me, and I will give you a home. To the south is an island of glass and dicestone, where you can build homes inside the Great Cave.

"I will build you a dicestone bridge to your new haven, and teach you how to fortify your island and create homes. Come and see!"

Fortuna smiled, and rolled the dice.

Build a bridge, show the Fortugnats how to build homes: 1d20 6

She grimaced internally as perhaps she stretched too far, too fast. Still, it would be a refuge for the poor Fortugnat, no matter what.

Edit: hopefully I did that right (other than my crappy roll :lol:

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

There Bias Two posted:

Hey, no one ever said you had to be the goddess of good luck.

So true!

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

:f5:

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Hey, there are Fortugnat in Chromeport, so theoretically Fortuna could have been there too...but she is sort of blindfolded. :shrug: Maybe she just didn't notice the party. :lol:

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

She struggled, but the wisps gathered around, lending their strength to hers. Fortuna thanked them silently, knowing they were fickle creatures, and walked among her new people, the Fortugnat. Their two heroes, Roulette and Keno, had come over the great bridge as well, but they held onto their godly artifact jealously. One day Roulette approached Fortuna, her heart distrusting the new goddess - and who could blame her?

”Goddess, we must ask. Our home for so long was Down Below, and being this exposed is frightening. What of the dark places? Should we dig further down in our Great Cave, and entrench ourselves? Or may we trust you to protect us?

Fortuna thought about this for a time. She produced playing cards made of shinestock, thin and flexible, and began to shuffle them as she pondered Roulette's question. Just when the Fortugnat hero was sure Fortuna had forgotten the question, she answered. "I will protect you as best I can. But I am not all powerful, nor am I forever. You should dig, and entrench into the dark places you find comforting, but do not give up on the Surface dear Roulette. There are great things here in Somewhere, if one has the courage to look."

As the Fortugnat took her advice, building in and fortifying their Cave, Fortuna spent her time showing them little games of chance to lighten the mood, creating six-sided dice from the plentiful dicestone, and showing other games one could play with the cards, like Poker and Blackjack. Gambling was fun, and she felt the potential within the Fortugnat for a new sort of magic, one unlocked by rolling the dice. Some of the Fortugnat were beginning to be able to read the Dice when they rolled them, predicting whether they would have good luck or bad. They quickly learned to avoid the actions that would end badly, if the Dice showed a low number.

After a time Fortuna came to Keno and Roulette as they were digging inside the Great Cave. "I know you have a powerful artifact, a remnant of a different god, the god of the Laitache." Several Fortugnat hissed at the sound of their great enemies, the enslavers who killed whoever they did not steal away. "I know it will help you do one great act," Fortuna continued, the darkness of the deep cave not bothering her. The two Heroes were listening, which was all she could ask at this point. Their trust of her was new, and could easily be broken.

"Take the artifact, this great golden hand of the Czar," she could not shout his name, not in the depths of this dark cathedral, not when he had been responsible for so much hurt, "travel to the floating island of the Laitache. Use it to give the island even more height, send it higher into the skies."

The two heroes looked at each other, and then at the blindfolded goddess. What would this accomplish? Perhaps the gods really were all insane. Fortuna continued, "Send them to the heights they desire. They are full of pride, but pride always goes before a fall....and there is a great Fall coming for them because they followed the god of Hubris. Please, trust me on this." She reached out to Roulette and Keno, touching their foreheads to imbue them with her power to help them accomplish this great deed.

Send Keno and Roulette on a godly quest: 1d20 15

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

TheNabster posted:

-1 Fortuna

No, no I don't think this will solve the problem at all, I think this will set that chronic wrangle of Dice and Cow folk in stone and turn it into an all out war. That the Fortugnat's realistically can't win because the Laitache population is 3 times larger then their population.

Wispy count: 10
Like: 1/2
Spite: 1/2

Well, the thought was that they would to their quest in secret so as not to be discovered, but I see that I didn't spell that out specifically. :ohdear: Still, they're sort of returning CZAR!'s artifact to his people, so that's good right? ;)

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Fortuna, goddess of luck
3/3 HP

Fortuna felt pride at what her people were accomplishing, and their budding mastery of sorcerisk delighted her. She tried to encourage the ones most gifted, but there was so much to do, and little time remaining. The Fortugnat from Chromeport also told her of the great silver city, and she grew curious about the Silvurtle and the Aqueau. The Peoples of Chromeport had dealt kindly, for the most part, with the Fortugnat.

Keno and Roulette had not returned from their task, but she felt certain that their luck had held. The Great Cave was becoming a Home, and to aid the Fortugnat she showed them how to create pulleys and gears, simple machines that could be combined to make more complex machinations. "Create," she told them. If they could but harness steam ...but the Curse prevented her from devising a way to heat Water among the Fortugnat. It would be much too dangerous.

And so it was that she heard of Shi, and the Fortugnat hero's quest. Fortuna found Lustre and Shi near Paradice. She felt the strangeness that was the new Element arriving, but could not turn away from her goal of helping the two heroes. "I grant you Luck in your quest to Heal the Water Curse," she proclaimed, and Rolled the Dice...

Give good luck to Shi and Lustre: 1d20 1

Oh no. Fortuna doubled over in pain as her powers misfired and all she hoped to accomplish seemed certain to fail as Bad Luck bubbled within her. She called out to the wisps for help!

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

A Darker Porpoise posted:

Ahaha welp! Changing from -1 Fitumo to -1 Fortuna :v:. Gotta keep the UnFortugnat down at any cost.

:cry:

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Thank you, posiwisps, I will return the favor someday when you need luck the most in this game.

If I don't morph into the goddess of revenge or something before that. :negative:

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

How can we have steam power with no fire?

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

:ohdear: Moosiles!?

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

We just graduated to pulleys and levers, I can't invent anti-missilemoosile defenses in my last turn! :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Fortuna, goddess of Luck
1/3 HP

She was struggling now, but Fortuna knew that she had a little left to give for the People of Somewhere, and the Fortugnat in particular. As close as she was to Paradice, she heard Legendairy's announcement, and a chill went through her at the thought of the moosiles being used against the Great Cave. What peace the Fortugnat knew could be shattered in an instant.

Power whispered to her from among the Verre, an artifact that she could, even in her weakened state, put to use. But first she felt drawn back to the Great Cave, where the laughter of children was music to her ears, and the sorcerisk practitioners became even more daring. Water was still anathema to the Fortugnat, but she knew of water wheels that could make things easier for them to grow and multiply. Fortuna dared the sorcerisks to create a wheel that could be turned by the current of the water around the island, and in turn would spin gears and create many more opportunties for the Fortugnat.

She warned them that Somewhere was still not safe for them, as Legendairy of the Laitache was still on a warpath for the heads of the so-called "Dice Demons." But she also promised that she would do what she could to protect them. "My time here grows short," she sighed, "And I will return to the skies in a much lessened state, but I will always be watching you." Fortuna blessed the children who had grown up never knowing fear, and departed to seek the Verre.

"You have a godly artifact," Fortuna said, "Something that we can use to bring peace back to Somewhere, if we use it correctly. The Truth-Wall-Scroll."

"Use it to convince the Winged Heavy Laitache that Legendairy is WRONG. He wishes to wage war against the Forugnat with a terrible weapon and it will bring ruin to all of Somewhere if he does. He must be stopped."

Verre use Truth Wall Scroll on Heavy Winged Laitache: 1d20 4

Fortuna trembled.

• Locked thread