Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

The world is a mutable, malleable thing. In the immeasurable vastness of the Ocean, tiny pinpricks of Something burst into being, only to vanish. Without a stabilizing presence, they are hopeless against the crashing waves of Nothing. Without Gods, Something has no hope.

Gods float above the Ocean, droplets of dew against its immensity. Without worship, they perish, snuffed out. Small crumbs of Something draw countless Gods, feeding on eachother and on the life they nourish with their presence. All are doomed to return to the Ocean, but for a time they grow strong and fat, and it is enough. Without Something, the Gods have no hope.

Something new has risen from the foam. Something big. Somewhere. Unmolded, untouched by divine powers, it floats on the Ocean, drawing forth ever more matter with its gravity. Bounty beyond reckoning for any God strong enough to take it. Nothing like this has ever been encountered before - enough Something for dozens of Gods, or hundreds. But not all at once, oh no - it would have to be carefully rationed...

-O-
In the Fragile Gods of Somewhere, you take the form of a God, shaping and manipulating the world as you see fit. For those who played or read my earlier effort The Lord of the Tower, the gameplay is very similar to the Geomaton floor, in that the players will state their intentions and roll a die to see the effect of their actions. Fragile Gods will simplify the mechanics quite a bit, however.
GODS
  • To create your God, simply list your Name and Specialty. That’s all. For instance, Thakoth, God of Rain or Vendri, Goddess of Molten Steel or Wallace, God of Candy. Keep it simple, at least initially. You’ll have the chance to add to your Portfolio, with time - if you survive.
  • For you are indeed Fragile. Each God begins with 3 HP, and each turn you must roll a d20 to determine the magnitude of your Action.
  • On a dice roll equal to or below 10, lose 1 HP.
  • On a roll of 1, lose 2 HP and your Action backfires entirely, causing the opposite effect.
  • On a roll of 20, your Action is greatly magnified and you gain a +1 Bonus to Actions thereafter.
WISPS
The Gods aren't alone on Somewhere. Only five Gods can be active at once - Somewhere is still rather small, after all - but the would-be Gods outside can still affect the outcome as Wisps.
  • Any reader not currently portraying a God is a Wisp - Wisps have no Names or true personalities, but may affect Somewhere through affecting the Gods.
  • A Wisp may still add or subtract one point from any active God’s Action. If this drops their roll below 10, so be it - the Ocean is a harsh place.
  • Dice rolls only go between 1 and 20 - any bonuses or maluses that would cause them to exceed these thresholds merely become a buffer. For instance, a roll of 19 with +3 granted by Wisps would mechanically become a 20 - but would require -3 to lower it to a 19, rather than -1. Mostly you don't need to concern yourself with the math!
TAKING ACTIONS
    GODS
  • List your Name, Specialty and HP at the top of each post in Bold.
  • Write a post about what you intend to do, then roll a d20. That's it.
  • Your Specialty doesn't confer any mechanical benefits, but does affect how your Actions appear to your worshipers, which may have effects down the line.
    WISPS
  • You don't get a name, but make sure to Bold any changes you make, as well as the name of the God affected.
  • Each time you make an action, you weaken the wall between you and Somewhere. Keep track of how many you do!
-O-

Five Gods descend on Somewhere, batting aside all pretenders to their thrones, erecting barriers around their precious earth. Those trapped outside languish in the harsh Ocean, only able to affect the land with Wispy fragments of their power. The Gods set down to work upon this land, to make it their own - and to save themselves. Even with this Somewhere, they will one day die - but to die on the land, to sink into it and strengthen it and become it... that is worth fighting for.

-O-
Right, that's Somewhere! Looks a little washed out and sparse now, doesn't it? Nothing the caring hand/appendage/field/wind of a God can't fix!
First I need a d100 from everyone - the five highest rolls will be our first set of Gods, and the rest will be Wisps. Second, along with your d100 roll, I also need 5 Materials from each of you, regardless whether or not your roll is good. These can be things like Water, Ice, Chocolate, Licorice, Honey, Stone, Gems, Metal, Wood, Rabbits, Dragons, Pastry, Meat - you get the idea. Something tangible, something visible. These will form the building blocks for this world in their broadest sense: choosing Rabbit, for example, doesn’t mean that there will be rabbit people, just that they will have some qualities associated with it, and the landscape may take on traits of rabbit habitats. The land will be shaped by the Concepts chosen, and so will the peoples upon it.

I will choose the top 5 most suggested concepts, merging them together when necessary (If a bunch of people pick Granite and other people pick Stone, they’ll be combined). Take no Actions, just yet - once choosing the Gods and Concepts is done, I’ll make another post to set the scene and explain a few other mechanics. I'm going to leave this open a few days before anything properly starts, but something like 10 applicants is enough to move things along a little faster.

Good luck, Fragile Gods!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

CODEX

Fundamental Essences

[GODS OF THE FIRST AGE]

Amyhdahl, God of Broken Promises / Ashar Ado, God of Joy / Catmandu, Goddess of Cattes / Illarin, God of Flowing Water / Sullo, God of Weight

[GODS OF THE SECOND AGE]

Czar, God of Hubris / Tidur, God of Rude Awakenings / Tarix, God of Whispers / Eleathas, Goddess of Civilization / Uguu, Goddess of Anime

[GODS OF THE THIRD AGE]

Tezcota, God of Sacrifice / Gulm, God of Laziness / Fitumo, Goddess of the Wilds / Mason, Lord of Idiocy / Fortuna, Goddess of Luck

[GODS OF THE FOURTH AGE]

Animus, Guardian of the Essences, Lady of Science, Deus Mechanicus / Thespias, God of the Arts / Ash, God of Mending / Enane, God of Boundaries / Rebun-Ased, Bipartite God of Dawn and That Guy Over There

Anoia, Intruder Wisp of Volcanoes

[GODS OF THE FIFTH AGE]

Luxeguerre, God of Refraction / Father Drone, God of Bees / Adamant, God of Laughter and the Anti-God / Grello, God of Finance / White-Svull, Bipartite God of Pestilence and the Beyond

Nice Old Lady, Intruder Wisp of Inward / KittyCity, Intruder Wisp of Upwards / Bilim, Intruder Wisp of Outwards / Samsara, Intruder Wisp of Downward

[GODS OF THE SIXTH AGE]

Lennart, God of Waves / Ingeau, God of Earthquakes / Kai-Die, Bipartite God of Slaying and Rock & Roll / Janus, Bipartite God of Transitions and Gates / Vii-Fo-Spec-Tremus, Tetrapartite God of the Seal, Chaos, Unlikely Cohesion and Revolution

[GODS OF THE SEVENTH AGE]

Rhuax, God of Fire / Eranos, God of Protection / Truce, God of Solidarity / Mit’ras, God of Uncommon Circumstances / See-Ram, Bipartite God of Self-Righteousness and Spite

[GODS OF THE EIGHTH AGE]

Aetria, Goddess of Eternity / Aleph, God of Boundaries / Comrade, Goddess of Revolution / Stephen Augustine, God of Texan Rattlesnakes / Sycamore, God of Defiance / Verdelait, God of People

[GODLY REMNANTS - IDOLS] (Passive effects, Destructible)

[GODLY REMNANTS - MIRACLES] (One time effect, Indestructible)

[GODLY REMNANTS - ARTIFACTS] (Once per Age, Indestructible)

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jun 10, 2017

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Welcome faces old and new! Even if you roll terribly, stick around and be Wisps for fun!

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Alright, here's the standings, so far.
    GODS
  • Sullo, God of Weight
  • Ashar Ado, God of Joy
  • Illarin, God of Flowing Water
  • Tezcota, God of Blood
  • CZAR!, God of HUBRIS!

MATERIALS (without any combining of similar concepts)
  • Fire 4
  • Wheat 3
  • Water 3
  • Alcohol 2
  • Dice 2
  • Milk 2
  • Music 2
  • Shell 2
  • Glass 2
  • Gold 2
We definitely have enough for some sort of "Rock" Material also, but there's no agreement on what specific kind. If anyone wants to change their Materials given this new information, go right ahead! You can change whatever you want until the game actually gets going - I'll recalculate then.

Not closing down recruitment just yet, but I'm blown away at the interest so far. I haven't even showed you anything cool yet!

But I will!

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 5, 2016

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Absurd Revolver posted:

Use Wisp power to boost Salin to 68

Nyaa posted:

Use my Wisp power to boost Salin to 67

Hey, no Wisp actions until the game starts, although that is a hilarious attempt on your parts! But yes, the way you both formatted it is perfect.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Updated standings of Gods and Materials!
    GODS
  • Sullo, God of Weight
  • Catmandu, Goddess of Cattes
  • Ashar Ado, God of Joy
  • Palladas, God of Music

• ROCK (Glass, Clay, Rock, Sand, Stone, Emerald, Amethyst, Silt, Marble)
  • METAL(Metal, Gold, Brass, Bismuth, Silver, Steel, Iron)
  • Milk 6
  • Water 5
  • Music 4
  • Alcohol 4
  • Fire 4
  • Wheat 3
  • Dice 3
So we're getting something here! I have a few thoughts on Materials - I'm not going to decide this for you guys, but I'm of the opinion that the more out there and specific the Materials are the more interesting the initial conditions of the game will be. So on that note, I'm going to ask you to vote for which specific permutation of Rock or Metal you want AND whether you want Rock AND Metal or Rock OR Metal - they are pretty similar in properties, after all, and narrowing it down to one or the other gives room for other Materials

In the same vein, Fire and Water are both super popular - but they're also Classical Elements, and prevent other more exotic Materials. So, another vote - Fire, Water or Fire AND Water

We have a good group of applicants, so I'll probably try to get this started by tomorrow - lots of initial art to do, even though the actual post is pretty short.

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 5, 2016

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Nice, this is narrowing it down well. I'll be closing applications in an hour or so - there's no limit of people, and anyone else who joins can totally play as a Wisp and jump in next time, but I need the Materials nailed down so I can do... well, anything!

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

THAT'S IT, RECRUITMENT CLOSED

Here's the Gods of our first Age!
    GODS
  • Sullo, God of Weight
  • Catmandu, Goddess of Cattes
  • Amygdahl, God of Broken Promises
  • Ashar Ado, God of Joy

• Glass
  • Milk
  • Water
  • Dice
  • Silver
Every part of your selections is super weird and I'm incredibly suprised we have THREEfuck TWO liquids. That's going to change things quite a bit - looks like we're going to want to have some amphibious action! Now it's onto the next bit - I need to do all the art and writing for the next sequence, but I need stuff from the five Gods.

Each of you needs to draw me a godly Icon! Don't worry if you can't draw, it's easy!

Connect the dots with lines of a single color - that will become your Icon and your Color. Straight lines or right angle arc segments of a 1 unit radius circle! If that last bit made no sense, just use straight lines! Don't worry about making it pretty, I have a whole system for that.

Update after all Gods post - and after my drawings are done!

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 6, 2016

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

JesterOfAmerica posted:

whats the third liquid, (milk, water) is it silver?

Uh... Hmm. No, its just two and I suck! Ha!

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Thousands of Gods press against Somewhere’s boundaries, their chaotic energies whirling against its foundations. The Something bends to their will, warping and solidifying into five Fundamental Essences.

Glass, the Essence of Sharpness, Clarity and Fragility

Milk, the Essence of Health, Abundance, and Hunger

Silver, the Essence of Mystery, Wealth, and Premonition

Water, the Essence of Transformation, Rebirth, and Wandering

Dice, the Essence of Fortune, Vice, and Risk.

Somewhere rocks and shivers under the onslaught - then settles, stabilized by the aspects of the Fundamental Essences. The quantum foam clears, revealing Somewhere in all its glory for the first time.

The five Gods float slowly through the thick atmosphere, viewing the bounty that was theirs alone. Shorn from the undifferentiated mass of the Ocean, they came into their Names and Specialties.
Amyhdahl, God of Broken Promises
Ashar Ado, God of Joy
Catmandu, Goddess of Cattes
Illarin, God of Flowing Water
Sullo, God of Weight
They stretched their nascent powers, sending eddies of colorful energy spinning away. But something more interesting was happening below - Life. Living and dying beneath them, yet innocent to the influence of their rightful Gods. Soundlessly, the Gods divided their attention, each focusing on the budding life somewhere in their territory.

-O-

Creeping around on a patch of Dicestone, furtively scrabbling at the surface of a cluster ofMarblemoss, is the first creature the Gods encounter - the Verre, a being of Glass. Its razor claws expertly slice through the fruit’s surface, drawing forth a liquid trickle of Glass. The Verre eagerly laps it up - though not without a judicial amount of caution. Even now, Somewhere can be dangerous.
(The Verre are your Glass People - they are deadly in melee combat due to their sharp edges, but they are fragile and cautious. Under the care of a God, they can become almost anything.)

Grazing the Silver Plains, the next creature - the Laitache, a being of Milk. It lumbers across the Plains, travelling with its herd, until it finds a stand of Milkweed. Together, they nudge down a satchel of pure Milk and tear it open, lapping the nutritious liquid off the Silver landscape. They bellow in triumph and satisfaction.
(The Laitache are your Milk People - they are strong and hardy, but slow and foolish. They greatly prefer staying with their herd, feeling most comfortable in groups. You could break them of that, if you wished)

Crunching its way across the Glasslands, a Silvurtle trundles towards a few stray branches of Argentwig. Shearing them neatly out of the pebbled earth, it breaks the stiff metal in its jaws as though they were carrot sticks. Polishing its shell with the thin ooze of Silver dribbling out of the broken stalks, it moved onwards towards its next snack.
(The Silvurtle are your Silver People - well armored and clever, but quite vain. Even now, they are mystics, seeking beauty as well as nourishment. They could be forged into weapons or scholars, at your Godly whim.)

Splashing through the Flooded Shallows, a lone Fortugnat half paddles, half skips its way through the Water, heedless of the dangerous pitfalls. An amphibious group of Orchidice sways and bends in a shallow pond, and the Fortugnat extends a curious limb from one of the holes in its shell. Finding it safe enough, it extends others, drawing the fruit into its maw.
(The Fortugnat are your Dice People - curious and brave, but foolhardy. They will always rise to the challenge, try anything, and give everything for a big gamble. You can calm them, channel their drive for success - or let them give into wild excesses)

In a deep lake, beneath a rocky overhang of Milkstone, an Aqueau streams smoothly through the Water. Paddling and cavorting with its fellows, it spies a hanging cluster of Droplecks. They glide smoothly over and each pick a lush, firm fruit from its bunch. They crush them between in their jaws, letting the viscous, sweet Water out to mingle with that of the Lake. They turn and kick away, moving faster than you'd expect.
(The Aqueau are your Water People - playful and fast, but easily distracted. In their element, they are fast and mobile, suffering somewhat on land (though if pressed they can do so). You will alone will determine whether they build an empire under Water or flood out onto the land, crushing all others under a watery pseudopod)

Exploration complete (or at least begun) the Gods took to the skies, gazing down at the land below. It was up to them, now - to Act.

-O-
Wow that was long! Alright, time to start. As you may have noticed, there are no cultures anywhere yet - just a few animals, a few plants. They just lack divine inspiration! Here's a couple of hints to start you off:
  • Pick one People, focus your Action on them. The mere fact that you focus on them will uplift them to sentience and kick off their culture, regardless of the success of your roll.
  • Your Action each turn has to be focused on People - you can't just create a storm, you need to storm SOMEONE.
  • Reminder: Gods state their action and roll 1d20 to see how well it went off. Wisps can +-1 to any SINGLE God's roll - only once per Wisp!
  • Each God can pick whatever People they want - you don't have to split up. In past games, everyone just worked with one group, leaving the others to do whatever. The sides with Gods on them will have a distinct advantage, however!
  • You don't need to stick with the same People each time! Next round you can totally help someone else, if you want.
  • Even if two God's actions are in opposition, they both happen. The higher roll takes priority, but side-effects will spin off from the other roll. Everyone's decisions matter.
  • Keep in mind they're basically cavemen - if you tell them to build Power Armor now, they're just going to be like :wtf: and try their best with hilarious outcomes.
  • Your god will die, but your legacy will live on. Make it a legacy you're proud of! ...Or live on in ancestral fear!

• EDIT: Some clarification someone asked later:

dog kisser posted:

Ah - just natural rolls for 1 or 20. Wisp aided makes it just real bad or real good normal rolls. This also applies to the 2 HP health loss on the 1 and the +1 to rolls on the 20.

Edit: ALSO! If you roll a 20 and get pushed down, you get the +1 bonus, but not giga success. If you roll a 1 and get pushed up, you take 2 damage, but not giga failure!

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 7, 2016

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Holy moly you guys are fast! It'll take a day or two for the next update, leaving it open to more Wisps for a while anyhow.

Anyone have any generic questions about anything in the meanwhile? Also - which one is the cutest?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

A Darker Porpoise posted:

Does the massive failure/massive ruling only count for natural 1s and 20s or modified ones too? It's just specified that the roll has to be a 1 or 20 in the OP. :rolldice:.

Silvurtles are deffo the cutest, perpetual grins on the Aqueaus makes them a close second for me though :v:.

Ah - just natural rolls for 1 or 20. Wisp aided makes it just real bad or real good normal rolls. This also applies to the 2 HP health loss on the 1 and the +1 to rolls on the 20.

Edit: ALSO! If you roll a 20 and get pushed down, you get the +1 bonus, but not giga success. If you roll a 1 and get pushed up, you take 2 damage, but not giga failure!

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 7, 2016

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

A Darker Porpoise posted:

If it's about the natural roll then just to clarify, damage is still taken if we roll below a 10 and wisps pushed us above it? Or do we not take damage if we rolled an 11 and then wisps shoved us below?

Oh yes - Wisps can definitely push you above or below the threshold for damage.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Gravedust posted:

+1 to Catmandu.
Maybe we can keep this cool catte in the game for a while.

My vote goes to Silvurtles for the cutesest, (something to do with their expression.. And do they have 4 eyes or am I misreading the picture? ) Though in concept the Fortugnats are my favorite.
Really dig your art style, by the way.

Yep, four eyes - most eyes except Fortugnats who can have 1-6 eyes. And thanks!

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Wisping Closed! Update to come in... a bit!

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

The Gods blew through Somewhere like wind, rustling through the secret places in their search for worship. Each of the Five settled among one group of People, sparking their dim minds into the fires of thought and reason.

The Silvurtle gasped in awe and confusion at the sounds rippling through their bodies and minds as the Argenforest hummed in godly rhythms. Their metal skin resonated with each note, ringing like a bell. Something awoke within one of them, and they stood tall for the very first time, straining to hear just a little clearer.

The First Song shaped their minds, drawing forth and calcifying a creative desire for art and beauty. More and more of them awoke to the strains of the Song, and soon the Silvurtle had become more than beast - a People in truth. They surveyed the land around them, uncovering truth behind mysteries far beyond their beastly ancestors. They learned speech and song, and they gathered in communities.Through their wandering, and through their songs, they learned to know their God.

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too. So they raised their deep voices in unison, calling out to their God with voices still new and quavering.

♬Oh God of Joy, sacred Ashar Ado, we thank you for bringing us up from darkness! We thank you and yet we seek for more, great God! This world is wide and scary, and we call on you for aid! Will you grant us your power?

(The Silvurtle have become Musical and gained Harmony. Underlined questions they ask are questions from your People directed specifically at you - your answer will have a significant effect on them, but does not (necessarily) have anything to do with your Action. You may answer the question however you wish and take your Action afterwards)

Catmandu fell down among the Verre, crouching in the darkness between dimensions and observing them. She reached out across the world, drawing up a perfect cubic dicestone and whisking it into the Verre’s path as though by chance. As the Verre crawled over to it in curiousity, Catmandu felt a twist of pain in her essence. As the creature kicked it once, gently, as though seeing dicestone for the first time, the Goddess doubled over in astral pain.

And then, just when the pain became unbearable, she could feel droplets of cool water beating against her core. Wisps, lending their meagre powers to aid her. They, too, wanted to aid the Verre to become what they were always meant to be. She focused on her People once again - and they looked back up at her expectantly.

Tossing the stone lightly from claw to claw carefully - she could see flecks of Glass around their feet - the Verre began to make a little game of it. She watched them for a long while - their impromptu game became more complex, and they spoke to one another in high, tinkling notes as they played. In time, they began to play a little rougher, a little less cautiously - some breakages occured, but they learned how to minimize the impacts. Finally, winded and exhausted from play, they looked to their Goddess.

Great Goddess Catmandu, we have felt you among us, guiding our play. We thank you for bringing lightness to our cringing life of fear. We owe you so much! What shall we sacrifice to you?

(The Verre have become Playful and Agile.)

As Amyhdahl breathed his essence into Deesix, he felt something break away within. Even as the Wisps aided his efforts to claw it back into himself, it shattered into vapor and was gone. Deesix knew naught of this - he knew only the glory of his God! His body twisted and grew, and the radiance spreading from the act drew up the other Fortugnat to watch him. They watched with interest bordering on terror as Amyhdahl crowned his champion.

Even with the cracks spreading through his Essence, Amydahl watched with pleasure as his Action took effect. Deesix began his reign with gusto: he began to speak with the other Fortugnat, whisking them into a holy fervor and speaking of the glory of the God of Broken Promises. The God had told them to conquer the lands, and they were keen to do so - but how? They grew uncertain, and so they petitioned Deesix to pray on their behalf - his half-divinity made him the only one worthy of speaking, after all!

”Amyhdahl, it is I, your servant Deesix! We wish to follow your orders and conquer all - but this world is vast, and we are but small and fragile. We need… something. We see this world and all its bounties, but we know naught of what we seek or how to gain it! Should we experiment with the world? Aid us, please!”

(AMYDAHL LOSES 1 HP! The Fortugnat have gained a Hero - Deesix! The roll was insufficient to attain full coverage, but the Fortugnat have become Slightly Intelligent, Slightly Charismatic, and Slightly Warlike!)

As Illarin drew his power across the land, Somewhere shifted and warped. New Water spread and flowed, seemingly springing from the earth itself. New rivers criscrossed the land, in time settling in two new lakes. Some of the Water even meshed with a lake of Milk, creating a turbulent, muddy mixture of Whey. The Action rattled the land, sending cracks spreading through several forests of Glass, weakening them and their growth.

The Aqueau, for their part, were pleased! While the God had not spoken to them directly, they could percieve him through his Action - such freedom! More Water than ever before! They cavorted and flipped through their new home, and called out in joy to one another and to their God. He must love them, because he had done this thing for them! But they wanted to know MORE!

”Oh Illarin, you who have done so much for us, we beseech you for aid! You have spread our territory across the land - surely you have a plan for us! We need to know your desires! Should we experiment with the world?

(Aqueau have Expanded Territory - and keep in mind they move fastest underwater, so more rivers mean they can get from place to place much faster. As part of this they are also more keen to Explore!)

Watching the Laitache tromping across the plains, Sullo deemed that they required differentiation from the other People. He reached out with his essence and merely swept their excess Weight away, leaving them much slimmer. The touch of a God awoke them and they stood and cavorted with their newfound agility. They danced in their herds and bellowed well into the night, free of the mass that had held them down as beasts.

At long last, they fell to the ground laughing, gazing into the sky. They knew the name of their God by feel, and they spoke to him in their multitudes.

”Sullo, ye of great and variable Weight! We call upon you in our time of need! Well, ‘need’ is perhaps a strong word - we merely wish to show our love for you! You have lifted the weight from our shoulders, and we wish to show our gratitude. Please, tell us: How should we worship you?

(The Laitache have become Agile and Light - and lost Slow)

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Apr 8, 2016

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Wisping is way more fun than I was afraid it might be! Seems like if you get enough Wisps together you essentially have veto power over a God; you can make a good roll terrible and a bad roll amazing. Maybe it's time we get a Congress of Wisps together and start dictating terms. ;)

Quite so - but don't forget you can downvote people! Y'all are too nice!

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Wisping Closed! Update.... Today!

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Sorry, not an update yet, but I just wanted to thank whoever for the avatar! My first one ever!

Fun fact: I haven't paid for any upgrade on SA!
  • Got my account bought for my birthday under the name Agashiel
  • Fragmaster changed my name to dog kisser
  • Won Platinum in a contest
  • Won archives in a contest
  • Won avatar from you beautiful people

Update still being worked on - writing almost done, just gotta get time to draw!

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Abyssal Squid posted:

oh god this has a lot of posts already
Don't be intimidated - anyone can jump into the game whenever they want. Really, as a God you don't even need to have any idea about any historical stuff, you can just act however you want!

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Illarin shook the world again, this time revealing spires of Glass in Mirror Lake. They reverberated in tune with the Silvurtle’s Song, even more loudly when one of the People dared to touch one directly.

Then Illarin spoke to them, and they were shocked to hear the voice of another God - less musical, but no less Divine! He guided them to sing to the Glass, allowing their Song to be amplified to great heights. In time, the Silvurtles learned how best to use their new knowledge - it worked best in Mirror Lake, but even fragments of Glass from the area could amplify their volume. Many of the People took to carrying around small shards for luck.

(The Silvurtle gain a Place of Power - Glass Spires on Mirror Lake. They also gain Rudimentary Glass Instruments, but have not learned how to create them themselves)

-O-

Ashar Ado did not abandon its People, either. Even as Illarin spoke to them, it filled their minds with knowledge of the power of the Silver Song. Working together, the Silvurtle learned that they could touch the world as their God touched it, and they delighted in their power and glorified their God. Their songs shook the night with their depth and intensity, and all were pleased.

Ashar Ado watched and listened. The Silver Song lay within all of them, but not all excelled. Not all were equally talented, and the God watched them struggle to keep up with the rest. Others excelled, far beyond the average singer, able to work great magic. None spoke of this, but it was plain in their thoughts - Should the best be raised up and the worst cast down? Or should we stay as a community of equals, where all strive to sing to the same quality?

(The Silvurtle gain the Silver Song - Basic Silver Magic. Silver Magic has these qualities:

Anything that could be reasonably (or unreasonably) spun to fall under those aspects is fair game. You do not need to tell them to use it - they know how, and they use it in their daily life - but if you want to do something specific, you can tell them to. This Magic is amplified by Instruments - and especially by the Glass Spires.)

Catmandu laughed at their request - the very idea of sacrifice was abhorent and ridiculous to her, especially given their state. But she had an idea of how she could spin their request into a lesson! She bid them to offer her Milk - but only when they drank it! The Verre turned this over in their minds as they played. When they grew exhausted, they wandered over to a nearby lake of Milk and took a tentative sip. It was fantastic! They took another and another, splashing eachother in joy - but made absolutely certain to leave a hollowed out tray of Marblemoss full of Milk when they left.

They returned to the lake many times, each time making certain to drink the nutritious, healthy Milk each time they came before leaving offerings out. For her part, Catmandu made certain to consume the proferred offering, strengthening their faith in her. The Milk certainly seemed to be treating the Verre kindly, in any cause!

Something else - the Verre ran from the lake of Milk one day, laughing and screaming in mingled fear and curiosity.
“Great Goddess, we saw something in the lake of Milk! It burst out of the water, roaring, then leapt clear out into the lake of whey! What should we do if we see it again!?”

(Milk is very Healthy! The Verre gain Endurance and Toughness (which mitigates but doesn’t remove their Fragility. They also encountered something strange! They also gained a Ritual - Leaving Milk Out!

Amyhdal pondered how best to corral his still-foolish flock, but the answer presented itself in the form of the disasters that had rocked Somewhere and reshaped its face. The broken forest of Glass would be a great lesson - nothing focuses the mind and purpose of a People more strongly than an enemy.

As their God spoke to Deesix and his Seven, their eyes grew wider as they heard talk of the Demon of Water, Illarin. The presence of other Gods had not even occured to them, and Deesix was filled with a great revulsion as Amyhdahl spoke of how they fractured the land. He implored his God to aid them, to save the forest. Instead, Amydahl raised both bony limbs and did… something… to one of them, filling the air with the sound of a thousand tinkling bells.

When they could bear to look, they saw their God offering them gifts. Deesix took both and turned them over in his hands, feeling their divine perfection. Before he could thank his God, Amydahl continued. He guided Deesix through the shaping of Glass, and Deesix taught his Seven. He filled their minds with thoughts of markets and trade, and they began to see the shape of the world.

Deesix and his people began to work Glass - though none could approach the skill of their King, much less their God. But it was enough, for now.

(The Fortugnat gain a Group - the Seven - who work under Deesix. The Fortugnat have learned Basic Glassworking - Glass is Sharp but Fragile, making it better suited for some things than others, but it’s also very Pretty! Deesix is a Master, the Seven are Apprentices, and everyone else has at least some minor faculty at it. They also gain Basic Economic Knowledge.

They have also gained an enemy - the Demon of Water, Illarin - who they hate and fear.)

One day, Illarin spoke to the Aqueau, telling them to seek out the lakes Milk and whey and experiment. The Aqueau, unused to such a direct hand from their God, went out with haste to see the world!

The lake of whey was interesting - combining aspects of Milk and Water, it was a good deal more viscous then their home lakes, and it tasted unusual. However, soft curds of cheese floated in its turbid vastness, and the Aqueau enjoyed them immensely! They began to make pilgrimages to the lake of whey to gather it periodically, and greatly enjoyed the treat that their God had granted them.

The lake of Milk was quite different - with barely any Water at all, the Aqueau found themselves moving through it with great difficulty. They found that the soft cheese could be made on purpose, with trial and error and Milk and Water - but given the difficulty, the Aqueau greatly preferred harvesting it from the lake of whey instead!

(The Aqueau went exploring by themselves and gained some Independence. In exploring the lake of whey, they found that they Like Cheese (I know Milk + Water != Cheese but that’s how it works here!) and that they can survive in whey, though currently it’s not comfortable to do so. In exploring the lake of Milk, they learned Basic Cheesemaking - but currently do NOT like swimming in Milk. They CAN, but they don’t gain full mobility bonuses in it and they find it unpleasant!)

Sullo spoke to the Laitache directly, filling their minds with Godly purpose - Balance. Balance was the key between Light and Heavy, work and play, gain for self and for the community. Sullo spoke the words and the Laitache knew them to be true and wise. They would endeavour to follow them in their God’s name.

Sullo cast out its Godly force into their minds, full of intent - and felt a shattering within, great pieces of its essence losing coherence. Immediately, Wisps pressed against the cracks - forcing the pieces apart, forcing them together - and in anguish Sullo perceived the blessed balance between the push and pull. But it didn’t make a difference, in the end - a great portion of Sullo fell away, striking Somewhere invisibly and vanishing into foam. For a time, Sullo saw nothing at all.

When awareness returned, the Laitache had changed. They had followed the orders of their god, and sought out beasts to carry their burdens. Sullo felt a discordant twisting in its essence as it took in the scene.

They Laitache were one no longer. Heavy and Light, in Balance - but it was wrong! They had learned the wrong lesson - but they had learned it well.

(SULLO LOSES 2 HP! The Laitache have gained Castes! The Heavy Caste does slow, plodding physical labour, while the Light rule over them with agile minds and ponder matters of philosophy. The Heavy have regressed to little more than beasts - but they strain under the yoke of their oppressors)

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

I'm not going to say 'don't do conditional Wisping' because I'm fine with it but do keep in mind that I need to actually COUNT them at some point and it'll be very slightly harder if I have to apply conditionals!

Nope, changed my mind - No Conditional Wisping! You CAN, however, change your Wisp vote up until an update.

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Apr 9, 2016

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Abyssal Squid posted:

Conditional: +1 to Ashar Ado, as long as the Silvurtles elevate their most talented singers to the level of Idols. All bets are off otherwise.

Wisp count: 1

Waci posted:

CONDITIONAL: +1 to Ashar Ado, on the condition of full communism now.

Wisp count: 3

Theantero posted:

NO LOSERS ALLOWED! KICK THEM OUT!

+1 TO ASHAR ADO IF HE FIRES THE LOSERS!

WISP COUNT: 3

dog kisser posted:

I'm not going to say 'don't do conditional Wisping' because I'm fine with it but do keep in mind that I need to actually COUNT them at some point and it'll be very slightly harder if I have to apply conditionals!

Nope, changed my mind - No Conditional Wisping! You CAN, however, change your Wisp vote up until an update.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

To be clear; Ashar Ado is trying to turn the whey into a potent mutagen. A positive wisp-vote is a vote for Cheesekaiju, a negative wisp-vote is a vote for, I don't know; Anti Cancer Milk?

To be even clearer:
  • Getting forced down to a 1 just means it doesn't go very well at all, not that it becomes an Opposite Crit
  • Even if it WAS an Opposite Crit, it wouldn't necessarily become beneficial, it just wouldn't go how you were expecting in an unusual way.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Also - don't expect an update this weekend, probably not even going to seriously read through stuff until Monday! As much as I'd like to update every day, certain other people in my life want me to work and go to my birthday party. So rude.

Expect something like 2-3 updates a week, however, because I think I can manage that!

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Puppies are dicks posted:

But is it really even a bad thing if they already have flippers? The Silverturtles do anyway and that's like 1/4 chance of no big deal.

Also happy birthday dog kisser!

Thanks! My birthday was last week but I've been extremely busy, and only now am able to chill out a bit.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Do a drunk update! I miss drunk updates

I feel like it'd be really drat tough to drunkenly draw and assemble a whole update :V but I'll try at some point

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

:siren: I forgot to write anything about Ages and other important stuff! I'll get more into this later, but read this cause it's important! :siren:
  • Each Godly Age is (currently) 4 Rounds! We're on Round 3 Actions right now.
  • At the end of the Age, all Gods die regardless of HP
  • Some other stuff happens at the end of the Age, secret for now.
  • In between Ages, I'm running a mini CYOA starring a civilian from one of the People, which will flesh out the world a bit!

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Wisping closed. Update at 'some point'

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Somewhere shivered in anticipation - one God was close to dissolution, and others teetered on the precipice. A Godly corpse was potent fertilizer indeed, guarding Somewhere against the caustic entropy of the Ocean. It was merely a matter of who would be the first to fall.

The Silvurtle were filled with a great rejoicing in contemplation of their foolishness. They laughed as they thought of their stratification of skill and how blind they had been - was not disharmony merely a judgement on harmony itself? Many singing in disharmony became a harmony, after all, but what was the tipping point? How many did it take to make a harmony, exactly? Why not a harmony of one?

The Silvurtle thought on this for a long while, and they resolved to continue thinking on it - to experiment and experience and find out what worked best for them. Their God trusted them enough to let them do so, and they would prove it right.

(The Silvurtle gain some Independence and resolve to experiment and learn what harmony means for them. They haven’t resolved anything just yet - except that they want to explore and experiment.)

Catmandu spoke - and in speaking lost something of herself. The Verre listened to the wise words of their Goddess - they would watch, and listen, to these new creatures. And so they hid - and found that they were naturals at hiding, especially among the forests of Glass.

They learned about these new People without revealing themselves: these Aqueau, as they called themselves, were certainly playful - and fast! They watched them leap from lake to lake as they explored, never quite making contact. There were a few close calls - but as fast as the Aqueau were under Water, the Verre were on land. Any contact between the two would be on the Verre’s terms, in accordance to the words of their Goddess.

And then, one day, it happened. An Aqueau explorer met a Verre scout who had gone to sit by the Water. They looked at eachother for a long while - and then both went their separate ways. But the first encounted had been peaceful.

(CATMANDU LOSES 1 HP. The Verre have learned Stealth and Observation, and they have learned of the existence of the Aqueau and their habits.)

One day, above the Glass forests, a Demon arose. Deesix bid his people to hide, and he and his Seven drew up their Blades of Glass and stood against him - but the People cannot stand against a God. His words shook the trees of Glass into splinters, and the brackish spray shook them to their knees. A great scream erupted from the Fortugnat as Water began to burn them. They tried to block out the sound of the ferocious roaring waves and the words they carried, but they sank deep, and they stuck.

The Fortugnat had been Cursed - they shrank away from the Water, chastened and fearful, and sank back into the Glass forests. Their God had a task for them.

(The Fortugnat are Cursed! Water has become Anathema to them - they will avoid it where possible, and if forced to interact with it there is a great chance they will perish or go mad. They REALLY hate Illarin now!)

-O-

The Voice of their God washed over them, calmed them. He bade them to travel to the West, near the place called the Mirror Lake. He instructed them to build a great fortress among the Silvurtles and the Aqueau, to trade with them and to build a vanguard against the Demon. Then he explained what a fortress was. And who the Silvurtles and Aqueau were.

Upon their arrival, Amyhdahl found a great plain of Dicestone and arranged his fearful flock along its dimensions. A great fortress would solidify their hold on the region in a way that none of the other Peoples could match - a fitting tribute to his Name. He stretched out his power into the stone and sought out the shape of the fortress already there, waiting to be revealed. But... no... something was wro-

Long after the blast, Deesix roused himself, feeling a deep and pervasive loss. His Seven was now Three, his People washed away… his God missing. Dead. If Gods could die, what else could be counted on in this world. He called out to Amydahl over the gulf of the pit of the Lost Gamble until his voice grew hoarse.

What would they do now?

(AMYDAHL LOSES 2 HP AND PERISHES!
The Fortugnat learn about the existence of the Silvurtle and the Aqueau and about the CONCEPT of building fortresses, though not the practical experience. They are unaware of the existence of other Gods or about the fact that Gods can die - except for their own. The explosion was a catastrophic failure of Construction, and not an inherent part of God Death, incidentally!

Amyhdahl is no more. His Essence has fallen down into Somewhere and dissolved. His player may Wisp the remaining Gods, but as a completely NEW Wisp, not any sort of remant. In addition, they do not increment their Wisp Count until the end of the Age.)

The Aqueau gathered excitedly as their reclusive god spoke to them once again. They heard his voice from the Water, and they argued amongst themselves who would be most worthy. Great Illarin had left the choice up to them, as was his nature, and they strained themselves to choose someone best suited. In the end, they selected Droplette, a recluse similar to their Great God - but the very fastest among them all.

The second burden of knowledge weighed so heavily the Aqueau thought they would break. Their beloved God, their awakener, dead? Other Gods - and they too would die? Even more to come!? There was much wailing and terror, but their God had taught them Independence, and they girded themselves against their fear. They would keep the memory of their God in their stories, and they would weep no longer. If their God did not fear his own death, they would not fear it either.

(The Aqueau gained more Independence by being allowed to choose for themselves. They learn about Gods and the God Cycle. They resolve to keep Stories.)

-O-

Something unusual happened in the Whey Lake, one day. The hand of a god descended to touch the whey, to taint it and to spread Change and Excitement upon Somewhere. It left something of itself behind, against its wishes, disintegrating into the whey like powder. But the seed of Change had been planted nonetheless, and it bore fruit when a stray Aqueau passed through the whey. He coughed in the unfamiliar liquid, feeling a great transformation ripple through his body.

When at last he could see again, he knew he had Changed. The whey felt like Water - natural and untainted. He Explored. The Water felt like whey - unnatural and odd. But so did the Milk! He found it no more uncomfortable than his fellows found whey, and he was able to gather far more Cheese than the others with his new ability!
(ASHAR ADO LOSES 1 HP. The Aqueau have gained a Hero - thusfar unnamed, he can travel through Milk or Water with equal ease, if not precisely comfort.)

The Laitache followed the path of their God to the North, travelling across the new bridge to a land that was just their own. Along their path, they saw signs of other Peoples, but did not encounter them. The Light Caste urged the others to forge the way ahead, and leave this land behind. They would make their own lives on the island that was theirs alone, and keep to themselves.

They spied a mountain of Dicestone rising from the forest of Glass as they walked, and sometimes saw something glinting on its peak. They thought nothing of it, for now, but it was a curiousity. The Island was a more pressing matter - once the pilgrimage was complete, there was a great and pressing urge among the herd to name it. The Light Caste knew that it must be called Thousand Roll Island. However, Sullo heard murmurings among the Heavy - among themselves, they had agreed upon High Stakes Island. After much turmoil, they turned to their God.
”Great Sullo, we seek an answer - What shall we call the holy Land?

They heard an eruption one day, from far to the south, but they thought nothing of it. Many things were strange on the mainland.

(The Laitache have Expanded Territory and a home to themselves. They keep in a herd, so almost all of them have concentrated to the northern island. They seek a name, but you need not choose between the Castes - you can name it whatever you wish, and they’ll bow to your wisdom.)

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Wisping closed - update tomorrow. Lots of stuff to write and draw for the End of the Age!

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

The Gods broke apart, raining pieces of essence like ashes - but they weren’t gone yet. There was much left to do!

The Silvurtle did exactly as their God bade them and sought out the Aqueau in their Watery homes. They marched to their Lakes, guided by the Silver Song, and the Aqueau rose out of the Water in their multitudes to greet them. After a short period of… adjustment, the two Peoples found they had much in common. As the Age drew to a close, they learned from one another.

As the Time grew Nigh, preparations began for the Last Dance. The damage to the Glass Spires precluded setting it there - and in any case, the Aqueau protested the distance. Instead, they called out to their Gods in between the Spires and the Lakes. The First Age of Gods ended with the thunderous footsteps of a manifest God and the beginning of a great friendship between two of Somewhere’s Peoples.

(The Silvurtle, through discussion with the Aqueau, gain knowledge of other Gods, other People and the Cycle of Gods. The two People become Friendly. The two People will share other knowledge, over time - including Silver and Water magic, potentially.)

The Verre took their Goddess’ reveal with an aloof disinterest that poorly covered their loss. But Her gentle hand reached out and touched them, and they were comforted. They took up positions near the Last Dance - far off enough that they could nap uninterrupted, but not so far that they’d miss anything interesting. They filled Marblemoss cups with Milk for one last time, set one aside for the Goddess, and napped away the end of the First Age, purring like vibrating Glass.

(The Verre gained knowledge of the Cycle of Gods. They also improve their Stealth and gain the ability to Nap Anywhere, allowing them to survive comfortably in dangerous or uncertain times.)

The End of the Age marched towards Somewhere - but the Fortugnat knew naught of it. How could they? For all of the wonders promised to them by their fallen God, he had neglected to tell them of the ways of the world. The Fortugnat were alone on Somewhere. Well, almost.

Illarin, God of Flowing Water posted:

This Is Your Fault.
The words crushed down on them like an inexorable wall of Water. Deesix’s People looked to him for guidance, for knowledge. But their King was trembling, his God-forged sword broken in half. One of his Seven (now Three) approached...

Deesix roared, swinging his blade out wildly - and the Three became Two. The Fortugnat fled as King Deesix wailed in rage and betrayal. A broken People, a broken King. Praise be to the Gods.

(The Fortugnat become Disheartened and Afraid - losing Brave! Hero King Deesix has gone Mad!)

As the Last Dance rocked the world, the Aqueau crowded around their new Heroes - or tried to, at least. Wheyfarer Rennet tended to keep to himself, skipping between his lakes: the lake of Milk was his, as far as he was concerned, and it was difficult to dissuade him. He had been touched by two Gods, and he was beholden to none. Still, the cheese he brought to the others was greatly appreciated, and far more flavorful than the average, scrounged morsel. The Silvurtle, however, did not appreciate the taste quite as much!

Droplette was a completely different story! She was a wonder to watch - the magic of her God allowed her to bend and flow like the Water around her, granting her unnatural speed in Water and control over its properties. She used her powers liberally and frequently, impressing the others and inspiring them to learn for themselves. Not everyone had the knack - but even those without could benefit from the Hydromancers among them. But there was time to learn later - now it was time to dance!

(The Aqueau gain Hydromancy - Basic Water Magic. Water Magic has these qualities:

Anything that could be reasonably (or unreasonably) spun to fall under those aspects is fair game. You do not need to tell them to use it - they know how, and they use it in their daily life - but if you want to do something specific, you can tell them to.

They also became friends with the Silvurtle. The two People will share other knowledge, over time - including Silver and Water magic, potentially.)

The Laitache continued their trek - glad, now, to be leaving behind the mainlaind, what with the shaking of the earth! They muttered among their Castes as they walked, squabbling about a name for their new home. All at once, a singular word appeared in their minds, silencing them - ParaDice. Their new home would be ParaDice.

Filled with a sort of anxious excitement, the Laitache explored their new land. Another quake shook them, and they fell to their knees in supplication. But the shaking continued, unabated! They called out to Sullo, wailing in fear - as the horizon began to shift. The shaking dropped away as ParaDice rose into the sky, and all of Somewhere revealed itself to their disbelieving eyes. They thanked Sullo with all their hearts, singing its glories.

But no one answered.

(The Laitache gained a Land of Their Own - ParaDice. Their island paradise is unassailable by other Peoples - but also cuts them off from interacting with anyone! They’re on their own!)

-O-

The End of the First Age! Give your Gods a big hand, folks - they didn’t totally destroy any of the People, though some are doing better than others! For the record, none of the People match up with any of my initial expectations at ALL. Now, onto the good stuff!

GODLY REMNANTS
Even though the Gods are gone, the survivors have left something of themselves behind. What the manage to leave depends on their overall integrity at the end of the Age.
  • 3 HP - Artifact: Powerful and lingering, Artifacts can be used once an Age. Their effects are many and varied - but their power is Godly.
  • 2 HP - Miracle: Powerful, but fragile, Miracles can be used only once. Their power is great, but fails before that of Artifacts.
  • 1 HP - Idol: Meagre remnants of the God's power, affecting their surroundings by radiation. Give off a minor passive effect to their surroundings.
    If your God has survived, indicate which Remnant you got and 3 basic concepts for it (Weapon, Tricky, Explosive, Trap, Scrying, etc.) OR give a suggestion for an effect you want!
NEW GODS
Even though the First Age of Gods is done, don't roll up new Gods just yet! We've got a mini-CYOA to do, starring a member of one of our People. When you DO roll Gods, a few things to note!
  • If you were a God this Age, you cannot try to get in next Age. The Age following that, you have a -10 penalty to your roll.
  • Keep in mind that Wisp counts are cumulative over Ages - if you don't get in this Age, just keep adding to it!
CYOA update to follow!

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

The First Age of The Gods has Passed, and the Gods have moved on. The First Golden Age has Begun.

Without the Gods to guide them, the People are free to explore and expand their knowledge of Somewhere on their own terms. The reaction to the silence of the Gods is mixed - some in peaceful contemplation, some in terror, some in confusion... some in patience. For it is known that the Gods will return...

But not when.

-O-

Alright, time to explore the world you have wrought! First, we need to pick a Hero! Several Peoples have Heroes already, but a Hero can be anyone in the right place and the right time. The CYOA will be no longer than 4 updates - want to keep the game going! Below are fifteen of the most influential individuals on Somewhere, in one way or another. Their adventures may have a significant effect on the world - or they may simply reveal some backstory, depending on your choices.

• A Droplette
    Fast, Master Hydromancer, Touched by a God.
  • B Wheyfarer Rennet
    Explorer, Cheesemaker, Travel in Milk, Touched by Two Gods.
  • C (Nameless)
    Give me a name and a one sentence description. Cannot START as a Master of anything.
  • D King Deesix
    Mad, Damaged, Master Glassworker, Wields a Broken Blade, Touched by a God
  • E Jack
    One of the SevenThreeTwo, Apprentice Glassworker, Depressed, Wields a Glass Dagger
  • F (Nameless)
    Give me a name and a one sentence description. Cannot START as a Master of anything.
  • G Argenta
    Master Silver Singer, Cautious, Loner
  • H Sterling
    Dabbling Silver Singer, Dabbling Hydromancer, Reckless
  • I (Nameless)
  • J Glaze
    LOVES Milk, Bulky, Thoughful
  • K Murano
    Apprentice Glass Carver, Fast, Fragile
  • L (Nameless)
  • M Crema
    Thoughtful, Hard Worker, Strong
  • N Lacte
    Foolish, Friendly, Brave
  • O (Nameless)
Second is their Quest! Regardless of the Hero, you need something to focus on - we'll keep this broad for now (partially because I haven't come up with specific ideas yet!)
  • P Personal Quest
    Something specific to the Hero in question, revealing something about them or granting them special skills.
  • Q Mystery
    A mysterious occurrence puzzles the People, and they send out a Hero to solve it!
  • R Monster Hunt
    A beast threatens the People - and without Gods, the People need a hero!
  • S Slice of Life
    Just a story among the People in question - casual and thoughtful, most likely!
  • T Write In
    One short sentence idea - the vaguer the better!
I'll give this a few days, but if the answer becomes super clear quickly, I'll cut it off sooner. Also, and this is important - anyone can vote during the CYOA portion! You're not in character, the Gods aren't making the decisions for the Hero - the Hero is making their own decisions!

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Hmm let's see it's a tight race no wait DP is obviously winning by a million miles. Not updating yet (or even probably today, unfortunately) but I'll start on at least thinking about the storyline, at least! Voting isn't closed or anything, but I think it's a pretty foregone conclusion.

Former Gods, more Remnant stuff:
  • I need concepts for Remnants by the next Age, don't need it during CYOA if you can't think of anything just yet
  • If you'd rather, I could just make one up for your God - and will in fact do that if I don't get suggestions by next Age
  • All Remnants are tangible things, objects - even Miracles. It can be a scroll or runes written on a tree or whatever (though this reminds me that no one has writing yet. Or housing. Or clothes. Or weapons.)

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

I watched my God die.

The Demon L’RN cursed us, turned us from the Water - but my God swore to us that we would triumph over his depradations.

And then my God fell and broke like so much Glass. His great Work unravelled, killing many of my Seven, and many more of His People. I held Him in my hands as he crumbled to nothing. We stared down over the pit of the Lost Gamble and wept, the plans for this... ‘fortress’... fading from our minds under the weight of our grief.

And then the Demon L’RN spoke into my mind that I was to blame.

I went mad. I struck out at my fellows - clove Bones in half with my Godblade like he was wind, spilling his viscera in a hot spray. My People could not stand against me - even with my God lost to me, his holy power filled me with unassailable might. I killed a dozen before the rest managed to flee - I cut their bodies into unrecognizable hash. I diced them. Ha, ha.

-O-

Now I spend my days down in the brackish Milk of the Last Gamble. It sustains me in my misery, and none of the others dare to approach the deathbed of their God, the home of their Mad King. For I am mad - if they would approach me I would cut them savagely for their temerity, and they would not survive it. But I am their King, even now. If - and I cannot discount this - I am to blame for His death, then they are better off without me and without the ill favor I have brought down upon their heads. Beloved Amyhdahl forgive me, in my darkest moments I think He wanted this to happen to us. That he raised us out of the muck for his own alien purpose and left us here to rot.

In moments such as that I half-fancy joining Him in oblivion, but I must continue my vigil.

-O-

Tonight, something is different. The sky is black and cold, and the million points of light continue their chaotic dance. In my youth I felt that they were trying to claw through some barrier, straining to come to earth. When He chose me, I pushed such foolishness from my mind, but tonight it returns with a vengeance.

I turn from the lights, feeling a pressure like a thousand staring eyes. My cracked skull ached. I took a bracing draught of Milk, grimacing at the taint, and considered my options. The stars called for action, so I would give it to them - and may luck be with anyone who dares to cross me!

• A Upwards!
    I’ve spent enough time in this pit! I’m going to go up and explore the world. How long have I been down here, anyhow? This world has changed, I can feel it.
  • B Downwards!
    Down in Last Gamble, there is Milk, and there are beasts. I kill the beasts and I drink the Milk - but I never go deep. I’ve seen a tunnel, down below, but never dared to enter.
  • C Inwards!
    I’ve been avoiding this for so long. I need to sit and meditate - sort out what’s been happening around since our God came down and spoke to us. I feel like I’ve been riding a wave since then - and I’ve been thrown out onto the stony beach.
  • D Outwards!
    I need to find my People. They need me, and I need them. I don’t know if they’ll ever take me into their trust, but I need to see them again.
  • E Backwards!
    Things were better when Amyhdahl was around! I saw Him die, but I feel His power in my breast. I wonder if I can... reach through it... and… pull… him back? I have to try.
  • F ...Cowards!
    I’m going to find my People, the ones who fled when He fell to earth. I’m going to find them, and them I’m going to kill them. All of them.
-O-

Hurray it's time to fix this guy! Or destroy him utterly! Again, anyone can vote on this guy's actions as though they're parts of his mind rather than Gods.

Also, a note about the list of Heroes - unless the Hero is mentioned specifically in a update, they are merely hypothetical. The only Heroes currently are Droplette and Wheyfarer Rennet (Water) and King Deesix and The SevenTwo (Dice)!

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Not in a rush or anything, but we're sitting at a tie between A and C, with B one point behind. It's anyone's game!

except D, going to find his People, which is sitting at 0 votes

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

HiHo ChiRho posted:

BE AGGRESSIVE
B E AGGRESIVE

A, B and C are tied - next vote takes it.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

I feel the pull of the tunnel down below like a physical force. Yes, I would go down into the very heart of the Last Gamble. Anything to hide from these stars, to hide from what I’ve done. Maybe I’ll get lucky and Somewhere will swallow me up and that will be the end of me.

As I wade into the Milk, I can hear the telltale sounds of Anomalice churning in its depths. They watch me with stolen eyes, faces torn from those killed in the blast or in my rampage. I slash the liquid with my Blade, and they scatter. Sour creatures of Dice and Milk, they often crawl from the primordial stew and vex me - and now I’m heading into their lair. No matter - they die the same as the rest.

I sink my head below the Milk and dive.

-O-
I emerge from the thick, sludgy Milk quite some time later, emerging into a dry - but very dark - cavern. To one such as me, darkness holds no fear - touched by God’s light, I can see just as clearly down here. I almost wish I couldn’t.

The Anomalice are larger down here, freakish - and bold! A group of them pounce me at once, silent as always, and it’s all I can do block their advance with my Blade. I am thrown backwards, into the twisted dicestone walls, and I hear something crack. Filled with the burning rage of my God, I advance, crushing their mocking faces with the flat of my Blade before slicing them to nothing. The same rush as ever fills me when they finally expire, and I laugh with pleasure. At length, I stand panting in the dark, unharried for the moment - but their eyes glare at me from within the walls, glowing with the fading radiance of the divine power that sustained them. They dared not approach me yet, but they would wait for a moment’s weakness. I wouldn’t give them the luxury - I pressed on.

-O-
Travelling through the oddly shaped cavern, I felt a certain elation building in my core. Some echo of the divine purpose that suffused my being when I served as His herald. I could feel Him here, all around me - I walked through his tomb. My face twisted with uncertain emotion, but my eye stared straight ahead. There was nothing to say, no obeisance to make. No one to hear, anyhow. Perhaps I was simply paying my respects.

(I didn’t think so.)

-O-
The next chamber I entered made my limbs retract in reflexive fear, and worse I couldn’t say why, until I saw it.

Water, deep in the heart of the Last Gamble. The blood of L’RN in the very tomb of my God! I threw my head back in a rage, raw power shooting forth and tearing the air with furious sparks. I slashed at the pond of hated Water, shouting and shaking with rage until spittle flew forth from my lips and I had to sink to the ground, exhausted. I glared at the Water (at my reflection) and drew forth the energy for another tirade - then stopped short, and really looked.

I knew it at once. A relic of my God. A phylactery of his power, down below. I fancied I could reach it, if I stretched. I dared not use my Blade for fear of damaging it, but I shuddered at the Curse. Dare I take it?

• 1A Grasp It!
    Of course I dare! How could I live with myself if I left now? drat the Curse, L’RN is no match for a heart full of Amyhdahl! I WILL claim my inheritance!
  • 2B Hook It!
    I fear the Curse, but I am no mindless beast - and I have the finest tool in my hands. I will reshape the Godblade slightly with Glass Shaping to dull it and hook the relic out of the Water. I am not certain how the Blade will be affected, but surely the relic is worth dozens of Blades. Hundreds!
  • 2C Cut It!
    ...No. Enough of this. He dares to wrench me from misery, force me into service again from beyond the grave!? With His very Blade, I will end his hold on me, on this land! I have no idea what will occur if I attempt this sacrilege, but I care not.
  • 2D Leave It!
    ...No. Enough of this. He is dead, but I am alive. I will leave my Blade here in His tomb, and I will seek my People. Perhaps I will bring them here and we will pay our rememberances. Or perhaps I’ll tell them to forget, and then I’ll tell myself.
Just as I see the relic, I become aware of the scraping claws of the Anomalice from all around. Curse them - but wait! Their eyes blaze with the same glow of the relic in the Water! And did I not feel a rush of power when I destroyed the others earlier? Dawning revelation breaks through my mind as I consider my options.

• 2A Consume Them!
    After I deal with the relic, I will hunt them down and steal back the fragments of my God’s remant power! I am not certain if I deserve them, but I AM certain that THEY do not!
  • 2B End Them!
    After I deal with the relic, I will destroy them, but close myself to the power that animates them - I do not know what dire contamination it might bring! No power is worth such risk.
  • 2C Ignore Them!
    The relic is all - I will focus my attention on it to the exclusion of the Anomalice. However I deal with the relic, this will be much faster!
  • 2D Command Them!
    They wear the skin of my People - perhaps they bear the hearts of my People as well! They are broken and fiendish, but then so am I! I will order them to stand down and follow me!

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Voting Closed! It's pretty clear what we're doing now anyhow!
you could have turned backkkk

ALSO here's a rundown of the Remnants we're expecting next Age.
  • Illarin, God of Flowing Water - Artifact Knowledge, Transference, Fountain
  • Ashar Ado, God of Joy - Miracle Chaotic, Universal, Bliss
  • Catmandu, Goddess of Cattes - Miracle ? ? ?
  • Sullo, God of Weight - Idol Balance, Community, Defense
As you can see, we're still missing one from Catmandu (LuiCypher) - worst case scenario I'll just make one up from Her traits, but I'd like them to have a chance anyhow. Deadline is tomorrow-ish, but penultimate update for King Deesix ought to be today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

The Anomalice surround me, seeking to stop me from taking the relic. I laugh madly at their foolishness - too slow! Did you think I would stop now, here!? At the very threshold of my redemption!? I call them forward, spittle flying from my cracked and broken lips, and they come. I throw my Blade at them roughly, cutting the nearest two in half, then dive.

Agony! Pain beyond measure! I feel myself come apart in the madblood of L’RN and lose what little remains of my SAnITy but I can ALMOST reach it I dive deeper and stretch BUT MY ARM my BLASTED ARM decides to betray me so I tear it off and kick deeper and my eye is going blind and the world is black and white and I touch it and

-O-
I rise from the Water, moving by Will alone - this body is insufficient and will need to be repaired. The Water boils away as it touches me even as it tears at me, but I ignore it and climb as though on solid steps until I again reach the surface. The cavern is bright as midday to my eyes, and I see it as though it is new and fresh. Walls of dicestone and milkstone in chaotic layers - but Glass, too, fragments of it sandwiched between the stone. I touch the floor, pulling Glass up as though stretching taffy. I repair myself in patchwork fashion - enough for my purposes.

An impact jostles me, tears free another limb. The Anomalice, still after me. Don’t they understand? I turn the weight of my gaze on one, all the terrible power coursing through me and I tell it to

and it does. All of them do. I see them, too, as though they are new and fresh. They are my People! See, that one there is Jack! And there’s Bones! My family, returned to me. I break into a laugh, and they all laugh as well. The Tomb reverberates with our chuckles until the laughter dies out abruptly at a motion from my hand. I feel Him beating in my chest. I understand, now, what my God meant, why I’m here.

• A To Build!
    The Tomb isn’t a tomb at all - it’s a ‘Fortress’! Look, there - the sharp angle of that wall, the way the Glass follows the contours. I see it so clearly in my mind. The Anomalice and I will build this Fortress, even if it takes an Age, and my People will have an unassailable home - safe from the Demons of this world.
  • B To Dig!
    He drew me down here to find the relic, but there is more to find! I’m sure of it! I’ll keep looking, and I’ll find other relics of my god, all the fragments of his corpse, and reassemble him! He wants to be returned, and I am the instrument of His resurrection. I will be his hands in this world, and the Anomalice my fingers. We will bring him back to us!
  • C To Conquer!
    He brought me here for power, and I have found it! I will gather my army in this Tomb and pour out onto the land above, and none shall stand before us. The world will know the will of Amyhdahl!
  • D To Bury!
    He has drawn me here to find the last fragment of his corporeal form, sunk deep below the taint of his Great Enemy. Having recovered it, I will return it to my People, and we’ll make an end to Him. The Fortugnat shall honour Him always, but it is time to move on. I will live among my People until they have no need of me, and then I will join my God.

(Most likely the last choice, depending on what’s picked! New Gods coming in later this week, so get your God hats on!)

• Locked thread