Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

---The Game---
MDK is a 1997 cult classic, third-person shooter by Shiny Entertainment, the creators of Earthworm Jim. The game shares its predecessor's bizarre sense of humor, adding a whimsical goofiness to what is today the tired genre of Sci-Fi shooters. Despite it or its sequel never being hot sellers, they are still beloved and respected by many to this day. As evidenced by JigglyJacob jumping onto our channel to share it with us.

The story is such:
(Copied from Wikipedia, because the game itself doesn't tell you this. You have to read it in the manual.)
The story of the game begins in 1996 when inventor/scientist Dr. Fluke Hawkins believes he has made a revolutionary discovery; an outer space phenomenon he calls "Flange Orbits". However, when he approaches the scientific community with his discovery, he is ridiculed. Determined to prove his colleagues wrong, Hawkins builds a space station, the Jim Dandy, and bribes aboard his laboratory janitor, Kurt Hectic, by means of Hungarian goulash. He then launches the station into orbit, projecting that the mission will last five days. However, after a week, Hawkins realizes Flange Orbits do not actually exist, but rather than return to Earth in shame, he decides to remain on the Dandy to try to discover something, anticipating another week in space. Kurt is extremely unhappy with this development, but once Hawkins shows him how to program the VCR, he calms down.

A year later, having made no discoveries, Hawkins begins work building a genetically engineered robotic dog, which he plans to call "Bones". After a year, Bones is fully operational, although both Bones and Kurt prefer the name Max. Despite having four arms and two legs, and being full of energy, Max proves more than a little reluctant to help Hawkins with the chores on the Dandy, proving more interested in tending to his vegetable garden.

Another year passes without Hawkins making a breakthrough until he notices streams of energy moving through the Solar System towards Earth. He sends a warning down to Earth (along with some of Max's oranges), but is ignored. Upon reaching Earth, the streams disgorge gigantic "Minecrawlers", city-sized vehicles designed to strip mine the natural resources from a planet, crushing anything in their path. The aliens, known as "Streamriders", and under the command of Gunter Gluth, easily demolish Earth's military forces, and so Hawkins decides to take action to save the planet. Hawkins reasons the only way to fight the aliens is with his newly invented "Coil Suit", but due to his advancing years and Max's extra pair of legs, Kurt is the only one who can wear it, and, thus becomes the very reluctant hero.

As such, Kurt is dispatched on "Mission: Deliver Kindness", entering the Minecrawlers from above, and destroying them from the inside-out.

---The LP---:
This LP is played and hosted by our longtime friend JigglyJacob, with myself, Highwang, and starting in part 3 BigTUnit1 as his co-commentators.

The removed music video, "Non rien à changé" by Billy Ze Kick

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

---The Game---
MDK2 is the bigger and wackier sequel to the cult classic third-person shooter, this time developed by Bioware. The game expands the first's gameplay to include all three heroes as playable characters, each with their own unique and weird abilities, all framed by fully voice acted cutscenes brimming with silliness.

The story is such:
The game picks up almost exactly where the first left off. "Mission: Deliver Kindness" seemed to be going well, leading ultimately to the defeat of Gunter. But now there's a new big bad: Shwang Shwing, and he's got some bitchin' shades and a sexy, rumbling voice. As Shwang variously captures each hero for the first several chapters, it is up to original unwitting hero Kurt Hectic, cigar-chewing multi-armed robodog Max, and eccentric/improbable inventor Dr. Hawkins to all take the protagonist's seat and bring Shwang, his boss Zizzy Balloobba, and their whole home planet of Swizzle Firma to their knees.

---The LP---
This LP is played and hosted by our longtime friend JigglyJacob, with myself (ThornBrain), Highwang, BigTUnit1 and/or Mugiwara Yoshi as his co-commentators.

(By ChibiWisdom)

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 21, 2016

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Prenton posted:

MDK got a patch that added quicksaves at some point (the Direct3D one? Actually, are you playing the DOS or Windows version?)

Jacob's playing the Steam version. (Which is on sale now!)

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

From this point on, the aliens seem to think that only the UK exists.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Travis hops in, just in time to help us ruin Jacob's childhood.

I was supposed to upload this yesterday, but my mind slipped off elsewhere trying to get Dark Souls to work on PC.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

This is about the point where all sense in our commentary goes out the window.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

We love Jacob. That's why we poo poo on him all the time.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

You'd think after knowing us for over five years, Jacob would have learned his lesson. Sadly for him, look forward to MDK2 soon!

(We don't actually know what this level is called, so we just went with that)

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

---The Game---
MDK2 is the bigger and wackier sequel to the cult classic third-person shooter, this time developed by Bioware. The game expands the first's gameplay to include all three heroes as playable characters, each with their own unique and weird abilities, all framed by fully voice acted cutscenes brimming with silliness.

The story is such:
The game picks up almost exactly where the first left off. "Mission: Deliver Kindness" seemed to be going well, leading ultimately to the defeat of Gunter. But now there's a new big bad: Schwang Schwing, and he's got some bitchin' shades and a sexy, rumbling voice. As Schwang variously captures each hero for the first several chapters, it is up to original unwitting hero Kurt Hectic, cigar-chewing multi-armed robodog Max, and eccentric/improbable inventor Dr. Hawkins to all take the protagonist's seat and bring Schwang to his knees.

---The LP---:
This LP is played and hosted by our longtime friend JigglyJacob, with myself, Highwang, BigTUnit1 and/or Mugiwara Yoshi as his co-commentators.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
It was originally released in 2000. Jacob's playing the Steam version.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Kurt's out, so it's time for Max to pick up way too many guns and shoot up some aliens himself.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

I completely forgot to upload this today! This week we take control of Dr. Hawkins and learn new ways to use ladders and toast.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Back to Kurt, and we can finally give Shwang some bullets where they belong.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Max gets an evil twin! And lots more four-armed shooting.

Also this piece of fanart by ChibiWisdom:

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

"Pure bubbling anus."

Chimera-gui posted:

Hey Jacob, you gonna show the easter eggs in this game?

"There's an Easter Egg in level 7 that I couldn't get to. I'm not really familiar with too many more easter eggs. Significant ones, anyway. A few are just a room with a few items that aren't anything special" - Jacob

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Kurt arrives on the alien homeworld, Swizzle Firma, and takes on Shwang Shwing on his home turf.

Forgot to upload this yesterday because I'm at the top of my game.
My game being Harvest Moon: Animal Parade.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

KieranWalker posted:

You're not LPing that one are you?

I am. I've got a few Harvest Moon/related LPs in their early stages.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

We need an MDK3 so we can have more bad levels in good games.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Dropping in on Jacob's behalf to let y'all know that the rest of MDK2's footage has been recorded. Part 9 has also been commentated and edited, but Jacob wants to wait until the rest of the LP is completely done before we resume uploads. We're not long now though!

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Jacob recovers from a frustration coma to get the last of the trio to Swizzle Firma.

Final update comes next week (we're going to try), and it's a three-parter!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

The final level of MDK2: each character gets his own route, so click their face to see their video.

Thus concludes MDK2! Thanks again to Jacob for hosting this LP; it was a fun ride, and I hope he considers hosting another one for us sometime.

• Locked thread