Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Just did a run with the Mahonguny, and it's definitely my favorite weapon so far. Pretty much the same damage/accuracy as the crossbow which is a weapon that I already like a lot, except it holds like 10 shots instead of 1, and you get a whopping 350 total ammunition which is never ever gonna run out. Also shoots out a few lovely extra projectiles in a shotgun spread, which is an okay bonus I guess. Maybe it isn't as good if you aren't playing as the Marine though, I dunno. I haven't gotten a sense of how significant his accuracy bonus is.

Wish I knew how to find secret rooms reliably, like in Isaac. The single one that I found by accident had some pretty rad stuff inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Vargs posted:

Just did a run with the Mahonguny, and it's definitely my favorite weapon so far. Pretty much the same damage/accuracy as the crossbow which is a weapon that I already like a lot, except it holds like 10 shots instead of 1, and you get a whopping 350 total ammunition which is never ever gonna run out. Also shoots out a few lovely extra projectiles in a shotgun spread, which is an okay bonus I guess. Maybe it isn't as good if you aren't playing as the Marine though, I dunno. I haven't gotten a sense of how significant his accuracy bonus is.

Wish I knew how to find secret rooms reliably, like in Isaac. The single one that I found by accident had some pretty rad stuff inside.

Shoot walls with a non-starter gun, if it cracks, use a Blank and you have access.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

If I clear a chamber and go back to the breach do I have to start all over again?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There is a bug (?) with the Metronome passive item, that is less a bug and more a game logic flaw in how it works. As you get kills, your current weapon increases in damage/firerate/etc until you either switch guns or get hit. Because the logic the game uses is "the player switched weapons", if you pick up a new gun the current power level transfers over to it because the game switches to new guns automatically.

Also, I found a shotgun called The Blooper which takes a stab at the movie Looper in its description. :haw:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
After about 45 min of play on the PC version, I seriously love this game. This is awesome.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Shadow Bullets + Whatever the gently caress gun it was that shot only one bullet before a reload but the bullet would hit then split into 5-7 pellets that homed in on targets = 10-14 homing bullets per shot.

Pretty gud.

There's also an item that shoots a bullet from your gun when you reload. I imagine there's some seriously broken poo poo you can do with that if you get the right guns. Like free RPG or BFG shots.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

RyokoTK posted:

This game is loving hard. So hard. It took me a dozen attempts to clear the second floor one time.

But it's great. :black101: It's pretty much resolved every problem I've had with Binding of Isaac.

Yeah the teleporters are so good. I hate hate hate backtracking thru a bunch of empty rooms in BOI

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Just got a few minutes with this and digging it a lot. Lots of nice little touches and gun puns. I noticed that when the bullet enemies walk, they sound like bullets jangling together :3:

CHOICE COD
Mar 11, 2007
Sometimes I'll eat money. Just to do it. Just to see how it feels. It feels good, it feels powerful.

Elderbean posted:

If I clear a chamber and go back to the breach do I have to start all over again?

Yeah, returning to the breach ends the run. I made that mistake immediately after freeing the shopkeeper.

Do the different colored chests have different item pools or is it purely cosmetic?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I found a gun that shoots an egg which hatches into homing bullets and it was destroying everything. Too bad I'm mediocre at dodging :(

breaks
May 12, 2001

CHOICE COD posted:

Yeah, returning to the breach ends the run. I made that mistake immediately after freeing the shopkeeper.

Do the different colored chests have different item pools or is it purely cosmetic?

Seems like brown is anything but mostly of lower quality, green is good passives, red is good guns, I think there's a black one and I'm not sure what that is.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

breaks posted:

Seems like brown is anything but mostly of lower quality, green is good passives, red is good guns, I think there's a black one and I'm not sure what that is.

Black is large guns, maybe cursed.
Rainbow is 10~12 drops.
I haven't opened a red w/ target chest yet.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I enjoy the corsair in boss rooms and then just switching to another gun. Persisting bouncing bullets is nice for extra damage.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

parthenocarpy posted:

Along with the Gamma Ray it is about as useless of a weapon as you can find

Lowercase r was really good in my last run, and carried me to level 4 on its own.

Mainly because it had so much ammo and is still better than the starter weapon, that it let me save my Stinger for bosses.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
This game has Dark Souls-style mimics in it, but when you activate them they dual wield revolvers and start blasting ya.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
This game is good

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
What are those big red bullets for? I can't seem to pick them up.

e: n/m, it's health. Doy.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 6, 2016

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I really need to stop trying to go to the Oubliette.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

They're health.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

you`re doing great then

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

This game is hella fun but also p hard.

My questions are:

1. What does the camera do?
2. I'm using the starting gun as much as possible to save ammo. Is that a good strategy / needed?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

This game is extremely sick, I made it to the 4th floor boss after having a killer loving run with the stinger and the light gun.(it shoots loving duck hunt ducks when you reload)

I got recked by that boss but hot drat, what a game.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

are you dying/getting hit a lot because you can't kill dudes with your starting gun? if so then it's a bad move, obviously, but if you're good enough at dodging to get through the first level without using other guns then go for it. it's worth noting though that ammo pickups completely restore the ammo for your selected weapon so when you find one it doesn't really matter if you have 0/400 bullets or 350/400 bullets in a gun. I find that new poo poo drops often enough that I don't really have to get stingy, but yeah I'll switch to my starter for really easy rooms.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Zaggitz posted:

This game is extremely sick, I made it to the 4th floor boss after having a killer loving run with the stinger and the light gun.(it shoots loving duck hunt ducks when you reload)

I got recked by that boss but hot drat, what a game.

Which boss was it? It seems like they're randomized from a pool of 3-4 per floor ala Binding of Isaac. The Tank is the first one that absolutely annhialated me

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

goferchan posted:

Which boss was it? It seems like they're randomized from a pool of 3-4 per floor ala Binding of Isaac. The Tank is the first one that absolutely annhialated me

The red cloak dude with a pistol for a head.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
You guys are blowing my mind here. I've been playing this for hours and have gotten to the second boss a couple times but I've only seen Bird Boss, Twins, King Bullet, and Snake Boss.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
I've made it to the tank boss several times in floor 3 but I get destroyed every time.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Floor 3 bosses are loving rough compared to the previous floors. I haven't even come close to killing any of them yet.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I haven't gotten past floor 3 either yet despite putting hours into the game. Thank you other people for not making me feel bad :)

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Lakbay posted:

I haven't gotten past floor 3 either yet despite putting hours into the game. Thank you other people for not making me feel bad :)

Oh yeah, the difficulty curve in this game is a vertical loving cliff. It's insane.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I can't even consistently get past floor one.

... Granted, my success rate has dipped dramatically since I started doggedly insisting on wasting my keys on the Oubliette every time. I used to be far better at it.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Vargs posted:

Floor 3 bosses are loving rough compared to the previous floors. I haven't even come close to killing any of them yet.

Immediately after posting this I finally beat that loving skull. Time to check out floor 4 with half a heart. And it was on the run where I never spent any keys or money since I wanted to unlock that lift thing (looks like you can't turn in your 3 keys + 150 bullets once you go down to floor 3 btw, which is bullshit and I dunno how you're meant to make that much by floor 2)

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

My limited advice:

Make sure to unlock heart items ASAP. You will survive without the bazooka. You cannot survive without heart bullets.
If you don`t have enough keys to unlock everything before you leave a level, try shooting the chests. There is a chance the item inside will come out. Even if you get junk - yes, there is an item called junk - you end up with the same result had you left the level without trying
Save those blanks for the boss and use them! If you score a flawless victory over the boss you get another heart container item guaranteed

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The Iron Maiden enemy is the worst in the game, always ruins my runs

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I just don't get that goddamn bird boss. Everyone else seems to do fine with him but he wrecks my poo poo. For whatever reason, I find the king way easier which seems to be the opposite of most people.

E: The only exception is if I get the room with the unbreakable columns in the four corners, which means I can just kite him around corners forever.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

the devious rat man who steals items you leave behind is ruining my life. you can double back and shoot at him to prevent him from yanking your stuff but i dont know how long that lasts. usually because if i left something behind i couldnt or didnt want it at all, except for ammo boxes that i want to really minmax but then gently caress up saving them.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Harlock posted:

I was in a room with 3 of them at once.

I died.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Haha that Gungeon Ant weapon is chaotic as hell. I burned myself to death the first time I used it and swore I would never touch it again, until I faced the second floor with that alone any my default weapon. It shoots gasoline and flame, alternating on reload. But since the gasoline is liquid, you can use it to put out the fire on the first floor secret fire pit!

Harlock posted:

If it is ruining runs, you should use a blank and nuke it with everything you got. I just hide around a corner and hit it with my hardest weapons when it is open

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The first boss being an MGS1 shoutout was a pretty cool thing to see at the start. He even dies the same way. :allears: This game is going to be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

the devious rat man who steals items you leave behind is ruining my life. you can double back and shoot at him to prevent him from yanking your stuff but i dont know how long that lasts. usually because if i left something behind i couldnt or didnt want it at all, except for ammo boxes that i want to really minmax but then gently caress up saving them.

I have a plan to kill that rear end in a top hat, but proximity mines haven`t dropped for me a second time. Someone please tell me proximity mines persist if you leave the room before I disappoint myself