Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
The Jolter eats bosses. I got a flawless kill on Gorgun without breaking a sweat and she usually kicks my rear end. I beat the Beholster without much trouble as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Everyone here found the secret room and got the Quest from the tutorial ghost right? Anyone know what happens if you don't get the quest and get to the quest room in the Gungeon?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There's a secret room and a quest to get from the tutorial ghost?

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

CJacobs posted:

Yes. You can replay the tutorial any time you want so it's not a big deal if you miss it

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

So yeah, basically as I feared, it plays really well, looks neat, lots of fun and inventive stuff, and I don't enjoy it because of the stupid grognardy difficulty curve. Pity they took so much inspiration from Isaac, but not the part on how to make a difficulty curve that's satisfying for everyone. I've done everything in Isaac except the lost and keeper stuff and just a basic win at this is already looking like something that's not going to happen for me before I run out of patience. Probably a great game if you're really good at the genre, but I'm glad I tried it before paying money for it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Tell us more about how you're glad you pirated an indie game, guy who is cool. :nallears:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

lazorexplosion posted:

So yeah, basically as I feared, it plays really well, looks neat, lots of fun and inventive stuff, and I don't enjoy it because of the stupid grognardy difficulty curve. Pity they took so much inspiration from Isaac, but not the part on how to make a difficulty curve that's satisfying for everyone. I've done everything in Isaac except the lost and keeper stuff and just a basic win at this is already looking like something that's not going to happen for me before I run out of patience. Probably a great game if you're really good at the genre, but I'm glad I tried it before paying money for it.

It's really not that bad. A couple of people in this thread have managed to beat it within a day, you have a several very powerful tools at your disposal to avoid damage and IMO the chance to get screwed over by RNG is much smaller in this game than it was in Isaac.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Hakkesshu posted:

It's really not that bad. A couple of people in this thread have managed to beat it within a day, you have a several very powerful tools at your disposal to avoid damage and IMO the chance to get screwed over by RNG is much smaller in this game than it was in Isaac.

I already had a run where I had to skip most chests before I died because no keys, so yeah I think you can still get screwed by bad RNG, not that bad RNG is what's causing me trouble.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Someone make an emoticon of the Dark Souls knight wearing a cowboy hat and saying Git Gud but the d in gud is replaced with an n, tia

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

CJacobs posted:

Yeah in the part where the tutorial opens up and you're supposed to get to the boss room you can get an AK, use it to reveal a secret room, find the tutorial ghosts shield and helmet. Then you beat him in the boss fight and talk to him so he notices you got his shield and he tells you who killed him and to kill him back.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

I just cannot figure out Beholster for the life of me. It has so many different attacks that it can do at any time, and none of them sync up with each other so the arena is just a clusterfuck of bullets and lasers and adds and homing missiles all over the place. There's so much to micromanage that I get overwhelmed and die every single time.

He is a son of a bitch, so much harder than any other boss you can get at the end of level 1. All the stuff you said is bad enough but last time i fought him i was tracking and dodging all his projectiles pretty well and ended up diving down the holes in the corners trying to dodge bullets a bunch of times.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

lazorexplosion posted:

What does grognardy mean

Orv
May 4, 2011
He probably means that the difficulty jumps really hard in a way that seems to want you to be good at both bullet hells and BoI/NT to make decent progress. Which I agree with, but I don't think it's insurmountably bullshit or anything.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Godamn the Sling does so much damage.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
PSA: The sling absolutely wrecks bosses. Especially if you can get it with a Potion of Gun Friendship.

Edit: Well, what do you know.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

as someone who did not like BoI particularly for the tiny rooms and tedious fire rate, I already love this game. Only played it for a bit last night and only tried one new gun, a fuckin bow and arrow which did no favors against fast dudes. how many gun items are usually on each floor?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

MinibarMatchman posted:

as someone who did not like BoI particularly for the tiny rooms and tedious fire rate, I already love this game. Only played it for a bit last night and only tried one new gun, a fuckin bow and arrow which did no favors against fast dudes. how many gun items are usually on each floor?

I've gotten everywhere between zero and, like, seven.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

MinibarMatchman posted:

On each floor there is guaranteed to be two chests, both of which can contain guns, a guaranteed merchant room which can have guns for sale, random merchants that can sell guns, and the boss is guaranteed to drop either a gun, or a gun accessory.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

MinibarMatchman posted:

I only count on finding one gun per level, but you can usually buy another from the shop and there might be another chest or two hiding in the level.

Orv posted:

He probably means that the difficulty jumps really hard in a way that seems to want you to be good at both bullet hells and BoI/NT to make decent progress. Which I agree with, but I don't think it's insurmountably bullshit or anything.

I do wish there was a slightly less bullet helly mode, myself - I am not as keen on bullet hells as some people. poo poo i'd take increased enemy count/less bullet hell mode.

I'd even take the Risk of Rain mode where you do a shitload more damage but you have way less health as an acceptable substitute.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

On each floor there is guaranteed to be two chests, both of which can contain guns, a guaranteed merchant room which can have guns for sale, random merchants that can sell guns, and the boss is guaranteed to drop either a gun, or a gun accessory.

great, seems I just wasn't looking hard enough for stuff when I blazed through the first run

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

See, the thing with Isaac is not only does it start you off with a gentle first objective (kill mom) and have both an actual difficulty choice as well as a bunch of defacto ones (isaac +d6, azazel = easy, lost, keeper = impossible), the high RNG from run to run means you have runs where you struggle all the way but also have runs where you find homing brimstone lasers by the end of the second floor and even the most ham-fisted player can stomp everything and feel the sweet endorphins of victory and when you start out, the latter keeps you going while you learn to win more and more of the former type. That''s actually a brilliant way to use the randomization of a rogue-like to make a difficulty curve that hooks people and keeps them going. And now I should stop gushing about how great Isaac is.

Anyway, I think this game is just too consistently hard. It's well made, and if it just had a genuine easy mode or easy mode character or something I'd be all over it. But I'm not good enough at the genre to deal with this, despite playing the poo poo out of Isaac.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

The oubliette is no loving joke :stare:

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
I'm having a decent time with this. I actually thought it would be more wacky like Isaac where they throw a bunch of items at you constantly so that almost every run has something weird and cool in it, but instead it's very stingy with keys and guns. The weirdest thing I found was this gun called the Lower-case R which fired a bunch of letters out that spelled "bullet". It was pretty neat but it took absolutely forever to kill anything.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Has anyone found a rhyme or reason to where hidden rooms spawn? In Issac you can make an educated guess where to bomb but I'm not sure if there's a way to find them here without wasting tons of ammo.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Anyone fix the lift yet? The dude is asking for "strong magic from chamber 1" and I figured that was an item dropped by the floor 1 boss but nothing like that dropped.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
This game is extremely good and the Klobb is still extremely bad.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Ghost Head posted:

I'm having a decent time with this. I actually thought it would be more wacky like Isaac where they throw a bunch of items at you constantly so that almost every run has something weird and cool in it, but instead it's very stingy with keys and guns. The weirdest thing I found was this gun called the Lower-case R which fired a bunch of letters out that spelled "bullet". It was pretty neat but it took absolutely forever to kill anything.

Its a good laugh weapon but yeah the damage seems worse than the starting pistols. It also spells BLAM when it hits stuff.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Yodzilla posted:

This game is extremely good and the Klobb is still extremely bad.

You should have read the Klobb description before using it...

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

poemdexter posted:

You should have read the Klobb description before using it...

Will do that next time! I read most things I swear.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

MinibarMatchman posted:

I got to the third boss with nothing but the starter gun and one other. But at least I had 6 health and 3 useless passive items.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Anyone fix the lift yet? The dude is asking for "strong magic from chamber 1" and I figured that was an item dropped by the floor 1 boss but nothing like that dropped.

If you beat bosses without getting hit you get a "trophy" that increases your hp permanently for the run, he wants that.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Sloober posted:

Its a good laugh weapon but yeah the damage seems worse than the starting pistols. It also spells BLAM when it hits stuff.

It seems mostly useful for the hitstun it inflicts on most enemies, preventing some early awful room setups like a bunch of shape wizards plus other stuff, from overwhelming you.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

FrickenMoron posted:

If you beat bosses without getting hit you get a "trophy" that increases your hp permanently for the run, he wants that.

Right o, time to git gud.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The floor 1 bosses are extremely easy to beat without getting hit. For bullet king make sure you take out his minister asap or never hit him. Gatling Gull use the tables to block the run n gun shots and just go wild when he fires missiles. Twins are... well just run and dodge ocassionally? they dont seem super threatening at all.

Edit: Generally it seems to be useful to not run at all times because a lot of enemies actually trace your movements and shoot. If you stand still you can dodge more easily in those cases.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
eta: ^^ Guess I'm bad then because I've only got a flawless victory one time.

I like that this game has less RNG in the items involved than Isaac, but oh man item RNG is still a thing. Finally made it to the 4th floor on a run where I got the Regular Shotgun in the first room and the Vulcan Cannon somewhere on the first floor.

Still died to Kill Pillars but I'm feeling okay.

Is quest progress persistent? I killed Blockner but I don't know what that does or if he respawns and I have to kill him in a successful run.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I havent found a good way to take out Kill Pillars yet, the timing for doding in their extremely limited middle area seems awkward.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Anyone find secret achievements? I got the one from when you push a table down a hole and got some rocket table thingie

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

I rescued a guy and then kicked his helmet down the hole. On the next run I had to rescue him again because he had to fetch his helmet. I hope something happens if you keep doing it :haw:

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
Lift Things:

To first have the guy show up, beat the first floor's boss without taking a hit. He'll show up in the starting room of the second floor, talking to him will send him to the Breach.

Once he's there, talk to him again and he'll go to the bullet-elevator shaft on the second floor. In other words, fall down the hole the elevator leaves after you get out. He'll want a certain amount of things, in order to unlock a permanent shortcut to the Gungeon Proper. Those are:

Three blanks
Two keys and 120 casings/money
The first floor's Master Round, gained from clearing the first floor's boss without taking a hit. This will lose you your HP bonus for this run.
Ten Hegemony credits

My personal advice for the casings/keys is do a run specifically for those, and take the Pilot. Just don't use keys, use your lockpick instead, and just hope you get enough after fighting the second floor's boss.

No idea what triggers further progression here, as the third floor is continuing to wreck me everytime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Considering the first floor is really easy and a good way to farm up some loot and money I can't imagine it's even worthwhile to skip it. It's not like Spelunky where you're just as likely to get punched into a spike and die instantly at any point; you're basically at no real risk of death on floor one after you have a little experience.