Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

voltron lion force posted:

Looks cool, whats the upgrade system like? Is there potential for weird item interactions like in BoI?

I was watching northernlion and yes there are. He picked up shock rounds that made his shotgun bullets kind of like shooting an electric fence.

I've played a few hours (haven't gotten past the 2nd floor) and I think the only thing that bothers me is that the characters are just starting loadouts rather than gameplay style changes like in BoI and NT. it's probably intentional but I liked switching characters in those games to play in a way I normally wouldn't.

For those wondering about difficulty: For exploring it's faster than Isaac but it isn't as manic as Nuclear Throne. The bosses might be harder than both those games if you're bad at dodging. The game is even more bullet hell than the final boss of NT on even the first bosses (though the bullets move much slower than NT but I'm playing on PS4).

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Apr 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Einwand posted:

So far the marine seems like the best starting character? A side arm that's not completely worthless and innately higher accuracy on weaponry.

He also gets better reload speeds off the bat so I'm probably not going to use any of the other characters at the moment.

I found a laser that's a reference to Moonraker.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Ok I take back what I said earlier and this game is more difficult than BoI and NT combined once you get down to level 3+. The number of bullets on the screen is rivaling Japanese Bullet Hell games.

That giveaway on the gungeonners website is only for PC right?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

bloodychill posted:

Nuclear Throne had the same issue. I was still able to beat it on PS4 but given that this looks to be harder given more bullet hell, I'm a little worried for my DS4 controller...

I don't know if there's an item or not that does this but I wish there was a laser pointer of indicator of the general directions your shots will go when using a controller since KB/M gets a crosshair.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I found a gun that shoots an egg which hatches into homing bullets and it was destroying everything. Too bad I'm mediocre at dodging :(

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I haven't gotten past floor 3 either yet despite putting hours into the game. Thank you other people for not making me feel bad :)

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Is there a bonus for fully exploring a level even if you're not helping Not-Link? I usually fight the boss immediately if I have high health and a decent weapon.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I've only been using the marine since his passive seems to be the best out of the four. I've never seen the hunter's dog give me an extra item and I'd rather have a reliable passive than something that's a chance. The pilot's passive feels mediocre because I rarely find active items worth using, I don't usually have money problems, and the extra ammo capacity pales in comparison to the marine's passive.

I finally made it to the fourth floor thanks to bees.

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Apr 6, 2016

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

RyokoTK posted:

I just cannot figure out Beholster for the life of me. It has so many different attacks that it can do at any time, and none of them sync up with each other so the arena is just a clusterfuck of bullets and lasers and adds and homing missiles all over the place. There's so much to micromanage that I get overwhelmed and die every single time.

The best time to shoot is when it does the big eye beam attack. It always does it 3 times and it's easy to dodge roll through and it's usually not shooting anything else when it does it.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I think I'm getting slightly better. I made it to the 4th floor boss for the first time and almost killed it with the com4ndo but got hit by a stray bullet that came from behind.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Zaodai posted:

I've literally never had the Pilot's lockpick work. Granted, that's out of a small sample size (maybe 12-15 times), but it's definitely made it so I no longer play him. It may be part of why I'm fine with the convict, at least you know what you're getting up front.

gently caress the Pilot.

Speaking of RNG, I don't use the hunter anymore because her dog literally never finds anything for me until I'm 30~40 rooms into the game.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Zaodai posted:

I didn't even know the dog did anything. The description just says it grabs loot from rooms, I figured it meant a stronger loot vacuum once enemies died or something. I guess I just have horrible luck with the RNG based characters.

Loot doesn't disappear and is automatically vacuumed to your character regardless of the class. The hunter's dog is supposed to find extra pickups after you clear a room but like I said I never get anything extra. The only thing that you can lose is ammo pickups, guns on the floor, and active items on the floor since a rat comes by and steals it and even then there are ways to scare the rat off.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I have yet to see one of those either and I've put hours into the game already.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Nighthand posted:

Here's how I beat Treadnaught without taking damage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9T1tvcx82g

All I really had that mattered to the fight was the meatboy gun and the passive that makes you shoot behind you as well. Best run I've had so far.

I also just beat the treadnaught without taking damage but with the Eye of the Beholster.

For those still wondering about the game, after putting many hours into it, it's definitely a harder Binding of Isaac but replace item synergies with guns (there's item synergies in gungeon but I rarely notice them or get them).

If you prefer Nuclear Throne over Isaac, I'd watch some complete runs of Gungeon before putting down $14. Gungeon has clicked with me for now, but a few hours ago I couldn't help thinking NT was more fun with me because you're blowing away enemies.

Nuclear Throne vs. Gungeon is kinda sorta an apples to oranges thing. Whereas I feel Gungeon vs. Isaac is apples to apples.

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Apr 7, 2016

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
If you complete the level skip elevator and use it, does the game give you a better starting loadout? I can't imagine skippings floors 1 and 2 for example because the difficulty spike is so high in floor 3+ and I couldn't even imagine how much harder it would be with just the starting weapons.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Holy poo poo the 120 casings + 3 keys is super RNG bullshit. I played perfectly with the Pilot floors one and two and I still ended up with only 2 keys and none of the merchants on either floor selling keys :argh:

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

ufarn posted:

I actually had that and spent the casings locked down, because it didn't mention those at first - only the blanks. :suicide:

When you unlock an NPC, you can feed him junk and items for casings, so getting the keys is probably going to be the tricky part. That and finding out how you drop items on PS4.

Wait you can sell stuff to all NPCs and not just adorable green gutter monster?!

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
You're just getting hit by bad RNG. There's stories in the thread of a single gun carrying people through the entire game and I've had runs where I've gotten too many ammo pickups.

I can clear the first two floors with even the Pilot's pistol but I shouldn't have to.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
119 casings and 3 keys and I died to the chamber 2 boss. :suicide: (I didn't spend any keys or casings)

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

poemdexter posted:

I find that the first two levels can be beaten pretty easily with your starter pistol. I also try to keep my starter pistol on swap so that I conserve ammo. Conserving ammo is an unfortunate part of the game, but you have to do it.

I think it depends on your luck/RNG more. I've had runs where I've had too many guns or I keep getting ammo drops each room or every other room and since the rat exists I've had to top off guns that were still almost full.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Apparently the hunter had a non-luck based increased item find but they removed it. They should put it back in because her dog hates me and most of the time after a room clear it just stands there looking adorable.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Elevator spoilers: does the Busted TV always spawn in the maintenance room of chamber 2? Or does it spawn in any maintenance room? If it's the latter than the actual point of the elevators is unlocking The Robot gungeoneer

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I got one of those rainbow chests on chamber 2 and I finally made it to chamber 5 for the first time. Promptly died to brand new traps since Kill Pillars took away 4 armor and 3 hearts.

Is there a way to see these stats the game mentions, like curses, blessings, damage, etc

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Jsor posted:

Okay, it looks like if you use the shortcut to floor 2, you can drop into the elevator shaft to get the Broken Monitor which, if you take it to level 5 you can apparently unlock a character. I haven't actually managed the latter part, I only found the TV.

You drop the TV when you dodge roll, and the rat WILL steal it, but you can pick it up again so you just have to remember before you leave the room (though I'm not sure how this works with rooms where you need to dodge roll to progress, you'd have to pray for a teleporter before the rat dude steals it).

I got the TV to level 5 but there's one section where the giant hammer stalks you in an area filled with gaps and I was down to half a heart by the time I finished playing catch with myself to get to the other side with it.

I usually grab it if I don't have an active item or have extra slots but I've had it bug out in mid air. It's probably easiest if you're the pilot with some kind of flying ability (wax wings or jetpack)

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Apr 8, 2016

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Goddamn I'm getting close to reaching 100 deaths and I have all the bullet components except one but the 5th floor keeps wrecking me and I haven't been lucky enough with drops to get an OP combo. I hate you people that got a win with only 10 deaths.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I think The Scrambler might be better than the sling for boss killing weapons. Not only do you not need to charge it, the bullets home in on enemies. One egg from the scrambler seems to do the same damage as one sling bullet too.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I just hit 101 deaths and I've made it to the Dragun once. I am the worse gungeoneer.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Does it always heal you? With how dramatic (hilarious) this event is I always expect something to go horribly wrong but it's always a free heal.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Out of 190+ guns the game keeps giving me the Alien Engine on every run. It's also one of the worst guns in the game.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I stopped buying maps because secret room contents tend to be basic pick ups more often than not.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Oh man Face Melter is such a fun gun but it's a shame it's so weak and chews through ammo so fast.

I'm probably the worst player ever (124 deaths and still no win whatsoever) but I agree with the sentiment that the game is so stingy with giving you guns despite the aesthetic being super goofy and pun/reference driven.

I lied, 128 deaths :smith:

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 10, 2016

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I was making reliable progress, I could get to floor 5 regularly, then I caught a cold and it's been downhill from there :( I'm at 140 deaths and still no win and I'm probably going to be playing until dark souls 3 releases tonight so maybe I'll hit 200.

I probably would have rage quitted but every other run I've been finding new things or fun things (I duct taped two shotguns together) that keep me going back despite being horrible.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

khwarezm posted:

This is insane to me, did you break a mirror over a gypsy's black cat or something? I've not seen such bad ammo problems at that point in the game since they patched out the starting pistol bug.

Not that guy but this is me. 160 deaths since PS4 launch and I've only seen the Dragun twice with no kind of win whatsoever. After Dark Souls 3 launched I only played once every two weeks but even after the PS4 finally got the ammo bug fix I still have to conserve ammo because the game refuses to give it to me even when using a non-starter gun. It also doesn't help I see videos with cool looking guns but I keep getting the same gear run after run even with a bunch of persistent unlocks.

I'm still convinced that I'm the worst and unluckiest Gungeon player ever. I got Golden God in Isaac after 50ish hours and I looped for the first time in NT after about 45. Gungeon is the longest I've gone in a twin stick roguelite without any kind of win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

khwarezm posted:

I find just loading yourself up with weapons can really help avoid ammo troubles since you always have something to fall back on for those times when the game decides gently caress you you're not getting any ammo.

Which is like 80% of the time for me. Thanks for the tips though. That key maximizing trick is so drat unintuitive it makes me want to double dip and buy Nuclear Throne on PS4 (I only have a chromebook at the moment).