Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
This game is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
You guys are blowing my mind here. I've been playing this for hours and have gotten to the second boss a couple times but I've only seen Bird Boss, Twins, King Bullet, and Snake Boss.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I've got 10 hours under my belt and I have yet to see one.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

I AM BRAWW posted:

What does the little green fucktard that climbs the grate in the back of the Merchant room want?

Everything, and he'll give you money for it. You just drop items and he'll drop casings.

I've even heard that you can give him barrels but I couldn't get him to take a water barrel.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Also note that you can shoot chests rather than unlock them. They can drop their contents, explode, or drop Junk which you can sell to the grate demon for ~50 casings.

Personally I've been saving my keys for green and up chests and shooting brown chests. It's been working out pretty well.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Benly posted:

The dev actually talked about this on Cobalt or Richard Hammer's stream at some point - the mechanic is shooting a chest has a chance to give you an item from the next quality tier down from that chest - I think it goes brown-green-blue-red-black, but I might have green and blue reversed. So (assuming I have the order right) blowing up a green chest gives you a chance at an item, but one you could've gotten from unlock a brown chest, which can also be a pickup. Blowing up a brown chest gives you a chance at something from the "random pickups" pool instead.

There's an even higher tier of chest, that I just found:

And it shat items at me:

It was my first time clearing both the second floor and third floor thanks to that chest.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Sure you can beat the first floor boss with the starting gun but it's so tedious that it sucks the fun right out of the game.

I haven't gotten to the point where I will restart a run if I get a poo poo first floor but it is tempting.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I know that some people mentioned the possibility of playing more/getting further upping drop rates and making stronger monsters appear earlier. I don't necessarily believe that is the case but I've had two runs now where I've gotten golden casings for clearing rooms on the first floor and lately I've been getting more machine pistol/AK bulletkin on the first floor than just normal pistol bulletkin.

I've also been getting Deadeyes on the first floor which can be kind of jarring.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Geokinesis posted:

What makes it so chests have a fuse? Is it an effect of being cursed?

I've only seen them at zero curse. I'm guessing it's just a low chance for them to spawn with fuses.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Just out of curiosity, how often do you guys normally find extra stuff in the shop? I mean like the sewer monster or the guest vendors.

Since about Friday afternoon I basically never seem to get anything but the shopkeeper any more. In ~30 runs I've seen the alien twice, the succubus twice, and the sewer monster three times. And that's with me almost always getting to the third floor shop and sometimes even the fourth or fifth.

I'm not sure if I've just had bad luck or if I've hosed the RNG somehow.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I have 110 deaths and have only been to the fifth floor twice (I haven't beat it either). I'm bad at video games.

Also, I encountered a weird bug where I was killing a Blobulon and when the last one split the room completed. I didn't realize it until I killed one of the small blobs but the other one I took on a trip around the map with me.

I also got the map on that floor (you can see it in the screenshot) and there was no secret room. I guess there's a chance that a given floor just won't have one.

E: The last couple of Junks I've sold only went for about 4 casings. RIP money making schemes with the sewer monster.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

FrickenMoron posted:

I forgot to screenshot the Convict sadly. Still, game gets pretty easy once you know what youre doing but its still tedious. The 100 chandelier kills will be probably the last thing I do in the game.

Man I am so bad at video games.

Your Computer posted:

RE: Tediousness

I would probably play the hell out of an "Easy Mode" where ammo is unlimited. I would still want to play an "actual" game in between runs for the difficulty, but the sheer amount of fun you could have mindlessly blasting stuff with all the awesome guns you pick up would probably keep me playing for hundreds of hours.

There's probably already a CE script for this, for what it's worth.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I'm honestly impressed you managed to make it that far without throwing it. I inevitably always end up chucking it into a pit somewhere in the Mines.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Snazzy Frocks posted:

The rat wont steal the tv while you're fighting in the room right?

Correct. You need to leave it unattended for him to come and get it.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Boy howdy am I tired of flawlessling entire floors and still not getting a single key drop. There needs to be a way to convert all these drat hearts into keys.

Also I have not yet seen Beholdster in the 12+ runs I've had since unlocking the quest to kill him (her?) three times.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Angry Diplomat posted:

That's amazingly bad luck. I got the quest to hunt the Beholster and then got Beholster as my zone 2 boss three times in a row :v:

The game knows that I think it's the easiest boss on floor 2. :(

Honestly though, as frustrating as this game can sometimes be, it is still fun as hell. I'm already at almost 80 hours played (but this is mostly because there's no option to save and resume a run).

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

lazorexplosion posted:

Game is so much better cheating for infinite keys lol. You can pick up 100% of the fun items and guns in chests and actually use your money to buy more guns and ammo from the shop instead of more goddamn keys. You just get and use fun stuff so much more consistently, it's like night and day. Not regretting buying it now. Although I got a win early on and 10 hours later I've yet to repeat that feat :shepicide:

Are you using Cheat Engine? I tried just messing around with it the other day and I can't for the life of me get it to hook into the game process.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

CJacobs posted:

I think just nixing keys being required for chests entirely and adding slightly more frequent locked rooms/paths would go a long way. That way they wouldn't have to make it so that keys drop all that frequently, while removing the current hindrance of your amount of key drops determining whether your run is fun or not.

They should get rid of keys being required for brown chests, I think. Or at the very least increase the chances of chests being unlocked.

I also feel like Shops should never be locked. I don't know how many times I've hit the second floor with zero keys and a locked shop. Then even if you get a key you have to choose between opening a chest or unlocking the shop for a chance at spending money on something you might want.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I finally went after the Old King today and he destroyed me. Does he have Jammed health because it seems like my AK was hardly doing anything to him?

I also fought a Jammed Cannonbalrog today, which was not a good time.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Got master rounds 2, 3, and 4 in one run. That's probably the closest I'll ever get to Lead God.

I also found out that you can actually give elevator guy the master round even if you are not up to that turn in yet.

The run in question had Singularity and AU Gun which are both really drat good.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
In my experience the other floors work the same way, if you get to the shop before seeing a key drop on that floor then it will have a key to it.

Just better hope that the door isn't locked and that you don't need to buy ammo also.and that the one chest that you do open "is the right one".

E: forgot an important word

Jibo fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Apr 14, 2016

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Seriously I've seen the Beholdster once in 3 days. I've had like 50 runs since I got the quest to kill it and almost all of them were Gorgun and a few were Ammoncanda. I've started screenshoting every time I get to the second floor boss just to keep track of how much the game hates me.

I've almost got the fourth floor elevator done though so that's cool.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Power of Pecota posted:

Gatling Gull had a melee attack?

If you get really close to him he'll swing the gun at you. If you do (did) it right you can just kind of get him stuck doing it over and over while you fight him.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
It's a double post

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
The characters seem reasonably balanced against each other really, considering how swingy the game is elsewhere.

Re: Ammo drops, I've had a lot of runs where ammo seems to drop every other room and I've had a lot of runs where I've got 5 empty guns going into The Hollow. I think it would go a long way if they could figure out a way to make runs more consistent with ammo drops. Also they need to make it so that you can permanently scare of Resourceful Rat because getting an ammo drop when your weapons are mostly full and then not seeing any more for the rest of the floor is frustratingly dumb.

E: Also throw in more munchers. Turning a couple of empties into one fully stocked gun can do a lot to recover a lovely run.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Floodkiller posted:

The rat is just a cover for anti-backtracking to give it flavor. They wouldn't add a way to get rid of it, and I wouldn't want to have one.

I don't buy this. The game encourages backtracking. The way the game works, you spend a lot of time going back to locked chests and having to walk through empty rooms as you go to explore another branch of the floor you're on. At least once per floor you end up having to trek across half the level to check out some unexplored room because for some reason the game likes to generate floors where you will have like four rooms in a row without teleporters. Not to mention how much backtracking your'e going to end up doing if you are trying to find the secret room on a floor, or find the water barrel on the first floor, or refill your health after a boss fight.

RR seems like more of a mechanic to prevent weird combos and possibly force people to live "in the moment" in terms of ammunition, which would be fine if ammo and items in general were not so scarce.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Klaus Kinski posted:

I got commando+double vision VS kill pillars and they died before getting off an attack. I probably could've gotten lead god that game but dragun has a shitton of health so I ran out of rockets.

Comm4ndo is like my favorite anti boss weapon. I had it and COG of War going into Kill Pillars yesterday and thought I was finally going to flawless them but then I ran out of ammo (only had like 16 shots) and had to try to finish them off with the Pilot's pistol and ended up dying to the last one. :(

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
There's a room on the first floor that's like a tiny little hallway with a blobulon and a bulletkin in it and auto aim will sometimes gently caress me out of targeting the bulletkin first there but other than that it's mostly beneficial in my experience.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Kuros posted:

Two things I think need to be changed with Gungeon:

1. Money can't drop into pits.
2. Transmorgified enemies give money.

At least every time I've turned an enemy into a chicken, I never got any money from them.

I could be wrong but I think money that falls in pits is still collected at the end. Ammo boxes that for some reason spawn right over pits can't be collected though and it is very frustrating to lose all of your Mines drops to pits.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
It turns out that Angry Bullets with Bee Hive is pretty drat broken but it also makes the Dragun impossible if you use it because the game becomes an input eating slideshow.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
^^^ Isaac also does't do the waves of enemies thing. You roll into a room and can see everything you'll have to deal with and don't really have to worry about getting sniped by something that spawned off screen that you didn't see.

FactsAreUseless posted:

It annoys me a bit that more difficult rooms don't offer better drops, at least as far as I can tell.

Not just the more difficult rooms but the rooms that take longer to clear. Nothing knocks the wind out of my sails faster than having a bunch of like 3+ wave rooms in the 4th or 5th floor that just suck up all your ammo and give you maybe a couple of extra casings for my efforts.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
The theory is that using more ammo increases the chance of ammo dropping. Some runs it seems like that's the case but some runs end in the fourth floor with like five empty guns except for the lowercase r.

I've taken to just always using a non-starter gun after the first boss unless you get some crazy damage ups and just accepting it if the RNG decides to kill my run. Most runs peter out but also most runs are fun (except the ones where you get nothing but garbage guns).

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

BexGu posted:

You have to do the thing its cheating first. Always 5 keys? Pick up a key first.

Also once you've got it hooked in and it's detected whatever you're trying to cheat it will persist until you close the game or CE. So if you do the key thing then all new runs will have infinite keys right off the bat rather than after you pick up or use one.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Nevvy Z posted:

Can cheat engine modify a run on the fly? For example forcing ammo drops if grtting screwed.

It's theoretically possible yes but I don't know if anyone has found/modified drop rates specifically. As it stands there are scripts for unlimited ammo that could be enabled or disabled mid run.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

HenryEx posted:

http://pastebin.com/SHTJHDPB

Again, copy the RAW Paste Data and paste it into Cheat Engine. You'll get a script called "Room Reward Script" that will guarantee a random drop after clearing a room.
Not ammo specifically, but should drastically increase the chances to find ammo, obviously. You'll have to clear at least 1 room before you can activate the script, though.

I may have to try that out. That sounds like a good time.

E: I can't actually get it to enable though. It just kind of hangs CE for a while when you try to enable it and never actually enables. I looked at it and it looks fine at a glance. I even tried just ripping out the cheat entry and putting it in another table and it still wouldn't take.

Jibo fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 27, 2016

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Broken Cog posted:

New patch

Mostly fixes

Transmogged enemies dropping credits is huge. I feel like these patches are mostly on point which is pretty refreshing after Isaac's "nerf and bugfix" style of patching.

HenryEx posted:

Did you actually clear a room beforehand like i noted?

The "hanging for a bit" is the script searching for the room clear reward code to hijack it. Due to how the engine works, this code will only be in memory when it's needed, so - after you cleared a room once.

I just tried it, started the game, entered the gungeon, cleared the first room and activated the script. It only took a couple seconds to activate.

Yeah I had tried that. I restarted the game and it's fine now. Honestly it seems to make the game even easier than infinite keys. My first run with it died on the Dragun due to constant health drops sustaining a pretty mediocre run.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
:negative:

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
:lol: Just did a run where I threw the bomb cannon thing and the sailboat gun thing into a gun muncher and got a lowercase r. Then I found an Unfinished Gun and threw them in a muncher on the next floor and got the Origuni. Sometimes the game just needs to take a dump on you I guess.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Honestly though if you are getting hit a lot then you are never going to fill that extra heart container anyway and you're probably just better off getting some armor drops off the boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I don't think that the secret room "favors" any particular type of room, it's just that some rooms make them easier to spot. Treasure rooms, shops, special rooms, and exits are usually on the fringes of the map which gives space for the secret room to generate there, though.

I also had a weird floor recently. The exit had an adjacent room (the lady vendor with the cursed items room) and then that room had the secret room next to it. In my more than 200 runs I don't think I've ever seen that before.