Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
This game is loving hard. So hard. It took me a dozen attempts to clear the second floor one time.

But it's great. :black101: It's pretty much resolved every problem I've had with Binding of Isaac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Lakbay posted:

I haven't gotten past floor 3 either yet despite putting hours into the game. Thank you other people for not making me feel bad :)

Oh yeah, the difficulty curve in this game is a vertical loving cliff. It's insane.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I just cannot figure out Beholster for the life of me. It has so many different attacks that it can do at any time, and none of them sync up with each other so the arena is just a clusterfuck of bullets and lasers and adds and homing missiles all over the place. There's so much to micromanage that I get overwhelmed and die every single time.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
eta: ^^ Guess I'm bad then because I've only got a flawless victory one time.

I like that this game has less RNG in the items involved than Isaac, but oh man item RNG is still a thing. Finally made it to the 4th floor on a run where I got the Regular Shotgun in the first room and the Vulcan Cannon somewhere on the first floor.

Still died to Kill Pillars but I'm feeling okay.

Is quest progress persistent? I killed Blockner but I don't know what that does or if he respawns and I have to kill him in a successful run.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Considering the first floor is really easy and a good way to farm up some loot and money I can't imagine it's even worthwhile to skip it. It's not like Spelunky where you're just as likely to get punched into a spike and die instantly at any point; you're basically at no real risk of death on floor one after you have a little experience.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

ZZKoverts posted:

This naturally triggers the reload quickly when you're out of ammo too.

This is a good strategy for the Hunter crossbow, too. Double-tap to fire and you'll immediately begin reloading.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I don't think so.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Broken Cog posted:

I think all weapons with a magazine capacity of 1 reloads automatically.

I just tested it. Yes, the crossbow automatically reloads after firing. However, if you click after shooting, it will begin reloading sooner (seems to be maybe a half-second difference).

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I wish items were better in this game. Pretty much any chest that isn't a gun or a maximum health item might as well be a big "gently caress you."

Had like eight runs in a row as a Marine where the first chest was either an active item that's not as good as the supply drop, or a really bad gun (lowercase r, unfinished gun).

An item like the C4 that you can use once every two rooms would be good in Isaac, but that's mostly because attacking in Isaac is really bad. In this game your weapons are actually useful so an item you can only occasionally use had better be extremely useful.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I have not found a single usable item other than Double Vision that's been an actual significant gain. But usually I play as the Marine, so if I find an item in the first two floors then I usually have to burn the supply drop to take it, which is almost never worthwhile because of how random the ammo drops are. Some of the passives are okay but the one I get the most is the Table Flip Multiplier which is super situational and the buff lasts like three seconds.

Most items I seem to find I just wish I had found a gun instead. Even a mediocre drop like Regular Shotgun or Flame Hand can at least get a run off the ground. Maybe I'm just getting really bad luck with drops.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I'm starting to cool on this game now that I'm getting run after run of bullshit RNG with bad guns and loot. I can make it to the third floor with the starter weapons, that doesn't make it fun or exciting. Finding guns that are not actually any stronger or more useful than the starter pistol doesn't help at all, especially since enemy HP scales up on lower floors for the same enemies. If the best weapon you find is the Hegemony Carbine, you might as well not bother because it's going to take four magazines to clear out a room of Shotgun Kin.

It's pretty much the biggest problem I had with Isaac: if you get bad RNG with items, not only is the game harder, it's also just slower and less fun because your weapon is slow and weak as poo poo, and trying to brute force your way through a run with a bad weapon isn't worth the time or effort at all.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

DolphinCop posted:

even with a bunch of bad guns you can hot swap between them to cut out loading times, so i havent been disappointed by a gun drop yet. the only change i really want is guaranteeing the shopkeeper always has at least one gun for sale, since bad chest spawns can mean clearing an entire floor without finding any new guns, which frankly doesnt even make sense in a game with "gungeon" in the title

The big problem is that if you don't have a decent boss killer for the first boss, you're more likely to take damage as the fight goes longer, which not only sets you back in HP but also you miss out on the HP upgrade for the flawless victory.

I think it might be an improvement if you at least started with two keys, so you can at least get two chances for a decent gun or item on the first floor. Sure the shopkeeper often has a key for sale, but on the first floor that's likely to be most or all of your money to buy it.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

I AM BRAWW posted:

How do I drop my "Junk" for Ralph the Sewer Guy

Open the map, click on the item, then a Drop button will appear in the upper left corner.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Man, is there any pattern at all to Treadnaught's attacks? I went in with five hearts, decent weapons (Snowballer, Moonscraper, RPG), armor and two blanks and I got completely loving owned before I even got him half dead. The entire screen was just filled with bullets.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I want to thank this thread for getting me into Nuclear Throne, which is a bit more fun.

This game just needs a few balance patches to improve the pacing of the early game and increase weapon drops. There are a lot of cool guns, but not if you never see them.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Reading this thread and finding that getting guns and loot is predicated on gitting gud has probably turned me off this game forever. It's like a double edged sword; since I'm bad, I'm going to be stuck with bad guns and no ammo, and by the time I'm good enough to clear the game with that I won't need the good guns and all the ammo I get as a reward.

I started playing Nuclear Throne after this game and that is another game that is extremely hard, but does not have completely absurd hidden mechanics like this. And while I die in the first few levels all the time, I still get cool guns and get to have fun, and I'm still gitting gud because now I can beat the final boss and loop whereas earlier I couldn't. If Nuclear Throne had mechanics like this game then you would lose a level of loot drops permanently if you get hit once on a given stage.

I can see EtG being a fun game, eventually, once I unlock poo poo and get really good at figuring out how everything works and how to not immediately lose a run if I get Treadnaught at the end of level 3, but until I reach that point it's slow paced and tedious. And if I have a bad start then there's no way I can ever recover since I'm already behind the curve when the game gets tough. To me it just seems like a massive waste of time, even for a video game.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Pumpkinreaper posted:

How often you get hit only affects room drops, so you could as likely get a heart as you would a chest/key. It doesn't affect what rarity and amount of chests you get in a stage.

I agree that coolness should be displayed though.

Getting hit pretty clearly reduces the amount of weapons you will get over the course of a run, because you need keys to open the chests that exist on the map, and that's where the guns are.

Not that it matters, since if you do get that key and find a gun, it's probably the loving lowercase r.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
You also need to not get hit to earn casings.

Also, the shopkeeper might not have a key.

And even if you spend those casings on the key and open the chest, you probably get the goddamn Ring of Mimic Friendship.

e: I understand that getting hit = no money is only on a per-enemy basis, but that still stings when you're talking about high-value enemies that are dangerous, like the floor 1 knights or Lead Maidens. Personally I feel like the punishment for getting hit should just be losing health (that is what it's there for...), but not only that, now if you enter a room with a Lead Maiden and get hit, now you get loving nothing for your trouble.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 12, 2016

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I can beat the Knights fine, I was trying to illustrate a point. My runs typically end on the 3rd floor.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Stanley Pain posted:

God these bosses in this jRPG are so annoying. Fight, Fight, Magic, Fight, Fight, Cure, Magic, Fight, Fight....:rolleye:

God these creatures in this ARPG are sooo dull, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click... :rolleye:

God shitposting in this forum is sooo dull, fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart :rolleyes:

JRPGs are all bad games and any ARPG made this decade has a bazillion active skills that makes them actually fun to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
This game is definitely quite a lot better than Isaac.