Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

breaks
May 12, 2001

So is there a good strategy for dealing with Ammoconda? Even when I kill it, it seems significantly harder than the other bosses I've run into so far. I tried shooting the egg things that it heals up off of but they didn't seem to die even after quite a bit of gettin shot, but maybe I just need to shoot them more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breaks
May 12, 2001

Nah they seem to be freed immediately.

breaks
May 12, 2001

CHOICE COD posted:

Yeah, returning to the breach ends the run. I made that mistake immediately after freeing the shopkeeper.

Do the different colored chests have different item pools or is it purely cosmetic?

Seems like brown is anything but mostly of lower quality, green is good passives, red is good guns, I think there's a black one and I'm not sure what that is.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Jsor posted:

I just don't get that goddamn bird boss. Everyone else seems to do fine with him but he wrecks my poo poo. For whatever reason, I find the king way easier which seems to be the opposite of most people.

E: The only exception is if I get the room with the unbreakable columns in the four corners, which means I can just kite him around corners forever.

It helps a lot to stay as far away as possible and minimize parallel movement when he is doing his machine gun thing, if you run in a circle around him the tracking makes the bullet pattern harder IMO.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Vargs posted:

What characters have you guys been using?

I agree, Convict seems pretty gimpy but the other three are all pretty usable. Pilot has the worst weapon but the best ability, Marine is the best for fighting, and Hunter is kind of in between.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Some things I think are bad about this good game:

Lots of minor UI poo poo. Just in general it's kind of ugly and mediocre, there's some bugs in the keybinding menu, there's 3 or 4 different screens to click through to start a game and yes I know there is a quick start key and the fact that there is a loving quick start key lets you know that the people who made this game know there is too much poo poo upfront but they just didn't do anything useful about it.

I think there's a little, not a lot, but just a little too much RNG right now. Maybe/probably I'm just out of it in re: the general state of things having not played very much BoI or NT. But the difficulty of finding a good gun plus the difficulty of getting ammo for it, etc etc, gets to be a bit much and it's all out of your control. I have seen some complaints about the requirement of perfecting a boss to get the extra heart container from it, and I don't agree with those at all, it's within your reasonable control so I think that's a good mechanic. I think it would have been a good idea to split the enormous quantity of guns up among the different characters, so that there is a group they all share and then a group specific to each dude, but a smaller pool of random poo poo for each guy overall. That would also make them feel more different than they do.

My main complaint is that they break the golden rule of bullet hell and bullets that look the same don't act the same. One example is the arrow bullets that sometimes stick to the walls and re-fire, and in other cases don't. The standard looking bullets that everyone shoots have a few different behaviors other than flying in a straight line. It's dumb as hell and a basic sanity rule for the concept of a bullet hell game. I won't even complain about the Gorgun pattern with bullets materializing out of nowhere or other borderline/probably bad poo poo, but the bullet appearance and behavior should always be tied together.

I'm sure there's some other stuff but I think it's mostly a good and fun game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breaks
May 12, 2001

Lakbay posted:

If you complete the level skip elevator and use it, does the game give you a better starting loadout? I can't imagine skippings floors 1 and 2 for example because the difficulty spike is so high in floor 3+ and I couldn't even imagine how much harder it would be with just the starting weapons.

I don't think it gave me anything for going to level 2, but I only tried it once so far and haven't completed any of the lower floors yet.