Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

What are the altars supposed to do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

poemdexter posted:

There's one altar I think you're talking about that requires you to put a specific item on it. That item is found in a secret area.

HINT:
find a way to put out the fire in the fireplace..

Hmm, okay. The altar was always empty for me. Thanks for the hint, I did find out how to do that but couldn`t meet the secondary criteria.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Four hours in, and while I get the Binding of Isaac / Nuclear Throne comparisons, the one thing this game misses big time is real, meaningful player power. It is almost as if the game is afraid to make the player powerful. A lot of the guns just flat out bore me. Someone earlier said that the most powerful gun they`ve encountered was a revolver and I have to agree. Certainly there are going to be better unlocks as I progress but at least in BoI the player could reasonably win with no unlocks at all. I don`t feel like that could happen with this game.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

FirstPersonShitter posted:

are there any unlockable characters?

There appear to only be two. You can read how to unlock them here. Good loving luck, though

http://enterthegungeon.gamepedia.com/Gungeoneers

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

ufarn posted:

What do you do with empty alter rooms? I've never seen one with a working alter in my playthroughs

poemdexter posted:

There's one altar I think you're talking about that requires you to put a specific item on it. That item is found in a secret area.

HINT:
find a way to put out the fire in the fireplace..

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Weapons like The Judge / Mailbox are awesome, I just wish I could move the ammo indicator to use it better

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

I picked up an item that ``revealed`` secret rooms, but never found one. Does anyone know how this item works?

Einwand posted:

I've found a new best weapon. It's bees.
Also I'm guessing that "old armor" in the first secret level is what I need to somehow bring to the altar in the second floor?

Wait until you get The Stinger

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Einwand posted:

The cash brick or whatever? If there's a secret wall somewhere there'll be a rather conspicious thing infront of it, you still have to burn a blank or have an explosive weapon maybe? to get into it, and they usually just have a small pickup like a heart or something from what I've seen so far.

I have only been inside one secret room after six hours of play and had to blow a blank to get in. It was pretty obvious that the room was behind that wall. However when I got the cash brick I went along all the outer rooms and still found nothing. Unless secret rooms are not guaranteed I just missed it whatever indicator it gave me.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Has anyone figured out what this room is for? Never generated any enemies in the few times I`ve seen it

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Vagante has a reasonably good online multiplayer. Different genre (people commonly call it Dark Souls + Spelunky) but a great example of what a small indie team can do with a roguelike

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Trash Cannon is cool but who throws away pizza???

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I found a "lower case r" that shot the words B U L L E T and a voice says "bullet" as the gun noise.

Along with the Gamma Ray it is about as useless of a weapon as you can find

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

What are those big red bullets for? I can't seem to pick them up.

you`re doing great then

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

My limited advice:

Make sure to unlock heart items ASAP. You will survive without the bazooka. You cannot survive without heart bullets.
If you don`t have enough keys to unlock everything before you leave a level, try shooting the chests. There is a chance the item inside will come out. Even if you get junk - yes, there is an item called junk - you end up with the same result had you left the level without trying
Save those blanks for the boss and use them! If you score a flawless victory over the boss you get another heart container item guaranteed

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Haha that Gungeon Ant weapon is chaotic as hell. I burned myself to death the first time I used it and swore I would never touch it again, until I faced the second floor with that alone any my default weapon. It shoots gasoline and flame, alternating on reload. But since the gasoline is liquid, you can use it to put out the fire on the first floor secret fire pit!

Harlock posted:

The Iron Maiden enemy is the worst in the game, always ruins my runs

If it is ruining runs, you should use a blank and nuke it with everything you got. I just hide around a corner and hit it with my hardest weapons when it is open

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

the devious rat man who steals items you leave behind is ruining my life. you can double back and shoot at him to prevent him from yanking your stuff but i dont know how long that lasts. usually because if i left something behind i couldnt or didnt want it at all, except for ammo boxes that i want to really minmax but then gently caress up saving them.

I have a plan to kill that rear end in a top hat, but proximity mines haven`t dropped for me a second time. Someone please tell me proximity mines persist if you leave the room before I disappoint myself

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Lakbay posted:

Is there a bonus for fulling exploring a level even if you're not helping Not-Link? I usually fight the boss immediately if I have high health and a decent weapon.

The only thing you`re missing out on is potential loot. There is no ``bonus`` buff or reward you gain for exploration.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Harlock posted:

The lockpick has worked for me as the Pilot probably 80% of the time. Is it suppose to be worse? I must be getting lucky.

You`ve run a lucky streak. I would put it at around 30% and still consider it worthwhile.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

RyokoTK posted:

I have not found a single usable item other than Double Vision that's been an actual significant gain. But usually I play as the Marine, so if I find an item in the first two floors then I usually have to burn the supply drop to take it, which is almost never worthwhile because of how random the ammo drops are. Some of the passives are okay but the one I get the most is the Table Flip Multiplier which is super situational and the buff lasts like three seconds.

Most items I seem to find I just wish I had found a gun instead. Even a mediocre drop like Regular Shotgun or Flame Hand can at least get a run off the ground. Maybe I'm just getting really bad luck with drops.

All the good items are hidden behind unlocks with the boss credits. You have to sink a dozen hours into the game before you start unlocking the really helpful stuff.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

orangelex44 posted:

I dunno about that, you can get a couple versions of invuln without unlocks. The hook has decent uses, and while the explosive items aren't game-winners they can carry rough rooms on the early floors.

Sorry, I shouldn`t have used the word `good` there. There are, however, multiple DPS+ and heart related items behind credit unlocks that make the player significantly more powerful.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Broken Cog posted:

Try running the Disintegrator with Double Vision or a similar active. It's ridiculous.

I wasn`t too impressed. Disintegrator takes over a whole second to wind up - perhaps two seconds - which gives you very little time to hit with it between huge waves of bullet waves, and double vision made it harder to aim from a distance. It did take out the third chamber tank boss very effectively and was a good opener for all other bosses, though. I scored this combo on the first level against the gun king boss and has almost no chance to use it beyond an opener because it takes too long start shooting.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Jsor posted:

Junk is actually very, very slightly useful, because there's a weapon that scales with how much junk you have. That's probably why.

Which weapon? Blunderbuss by any chance? Trash cannon?

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Angry Bullets + shotgun type weapons are absolutely awesome

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Has anyone figured out what the Ballot does yet?

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Harlock posted:

Getting a bunch of crap guns = normal

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

I AM BRAWW posted:

What does the little green fucktard that climbs the grate in the back of the Merchant room want?

He want yo useless fuckin guns like the Derringer and any other shooters you can offload and he pay well too

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

poemdexter posted:

Bloody Scarf should be avoided at all costs. It basically removes your dodge roll and makes the game impossible. I ruined a great run by grabbing it.

Of the terrible things inherited from Binding of Isaac, count less-than-useless, infact, run ruining items among them

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

gently caress this game

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

gOD drat fat bullets + tshirt cannon knocks these fuckers clear across the entire screen

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

CJacobs posted:

Heh, the explosive package in the mailbox gun is a literal glitter bomb. :downsrim:

It has random effects, glitter being one of many

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Has anyone seen this yet? From a secret room - the first non-useless secret room I`ve found. This is the first floor and I have no option to give them anything

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Guns. The answer was, they wanted guns.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Well I`m done with this garbage. Rolling water barrels to the fireplace is not my idea of a fun time. Sadly it is one of many examples of this game being a chore compared to an enjoyable experience. I hope the developers patch in some major balance changes. Until then, see ya!

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Underwhelmed posted:

There are at least half a dozen different ways to put out that fire, a barrel isn't the only way. Pretty much anything that shoots water or ice will do it.

I know this. A half dozen ways that you flat out won`t get unless the boss drops that particular item or the shop sells it (and you don`t need to buy a key) because you sure as hell aren`t unlocking any chests. Instead the `guaranteed` way is by the most tedious minigame imaginable if you or an enemy don`t accidentally destroy the barrel

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Broken Cog posted:

I seem to see the super soaker in the shop on the first floor pretty often.
Also, there really is no reason to go into the sewers unless you really want to go to the secret areas. It's a bit of a chore if you just want to finish the game, and I stopped bothering until I had completed the game with all 4 characters.

Sewers are an extra chance at more items, which in this game every character desperately needs.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Vargs posted:

Probably because that method of finding secret rooms was insanely tedious/time-consuming while also always being the correct course of action. I think they're just supposed to be an occasional little bonus that you luck into rather than something you painstakingly seek out.

Funny, using the starting weapon almost exclusively is also insanely tedious/time-consuming while also always being the correct course of action

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

IronicDongz posted:

Yes, that's too long for an easy enemy in a shooty action game. 15 seconds is a long time in this context.

I agree, and add some extra context: the knights often spawn alone, or in twos, and never seem to present any challenge whatsoever.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

I wish that, in Binding of Isaac, whenever I get brimstone I`m restricted to only use it once per level at the boss. It would be ideal to turn it off and just use tears the rest of the time to prove how good I am at the game

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Post poste posted:

Welp, beat the sixth chamber without being hit. The Sense of Direction and Blank Companion's Ring is hellaciously OP.

Every two seconds or so, I could fire off a blank.

I didn`t have this experience. It seemed like only one blank every third time when I was spamming it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Scatter Shot + Magic Lamp is about the most powerful I`ve been in this game yet