Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Comments and discussion goes here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3771195

The Setting is once again the fabled land of the city of Norward Previous game

~*~Player Roster~*~(Will be expanded upon with character pictures and word portraits)

Addek Thydain(Lord Nagash) - Dwarven Assassin

Philo Flatfrock(Eclectic Tastes) - Human Mage

Crutiln Beestinger(ewe2) - Halfling :siren:Cleric:siren:

Chartuin Cac'Greille(Skellybones) - Woodelf :siren:Ranger:siren:

Storm "Kittenstouch" Mithvander(Mithranderp) - Woodelf :siren:Druid:siren:

Hosanna "Anna" Hillsong(Freudian Slip) - Woodelf :siren:Paladin of CG:siren:

Administration

If you want to discuss a ruling or an element of the setting please put it in the peanut gallery section first linked or, if it must be secret, please do so by PM to the DM (me).

Google Docs will be used for information and will be linked in "Resources" below (This will include as up to date a mirror of the paper and pencil sheets I keep which will be online as soon as I can :effort:)

A short individual adventure for each player will then happen to draw us to the formation of 'the party™'.

Play will proceed as free form as possible until a combat is declared then it goes to strict turns. Unless you announce an action for each turn (in combat) you will either (DMs choice) do nothing or perform an action in keeping with your character/alignment/knowledge/abilities and past form.

Resources

- Norward's World Gods
- Mage Bonuses for Deities

RULES FOR POSTING

All posts in this thread will be:

Header - <Character Name> eg Anna

I do it, think it or want to mention it OOC

I say it, even if it is a whisper

Unless in combat, several and unequal amounts of posts are available as the player desires.

Cartoon fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Aug 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
The first of Fralgin, 1860 heralds the start of a busy new year in Norward's World.

The lower levels of the dwarven halls in Hediguk are dim and full of smokey haze at the best of times. Having willingly submitted to the messengers who have brought him here Addek is not bound and gagged. Who would have thought that murder for hire would have their own police? Apparently the head of the local killer's union wants a chat about certain recent activities. It could be worse, it could be one of the Marshall's that got wind of what he'd been up to. From somewhere deeper in the haze an oddly wheezy voice drones on.

Addek why didn't you come to us yourself? It would have saved all this, inconvenience. Then there is the matter of the guild taxes. Enforcement fees. Wear and tear on the torture equipment. It sounds positively tiresome. So before we examine your credit history, in painful detail, I have a proposal. We have extensive interests in the dwarven settlement at Norward and, call us suspicious, we distrust the merchant's with whom we must ply our trade. We need someone on the ground to keep us informed of the day to day goings on. It is a trivial task really but it involves some inconvenience and once you are there you might be able to come up with interesting opportunities on your own initiative. Our relationship with the human guild in Norward is solid if not entirely cordial and credentials can be offered if necessary. So what do you say? Up for a spot of spying?

-/-

The lower slopes of the mountain forests around Norward are usually considered to be picturesque if not outright gorgeous. They are also, apparently, the place to find a quality familiar if you are so inclined. At least that's what 's brought a particularly fragile looking wizard to this neck of the woods. Carefully placing all the expensive incenses into the roaring brazier, don't want a robe fire like last time, our hero then sits and begins the long hours of chanting. After a mere nineteen a somewhat furtive looking weasel pops its head up and makes vaguely friendly gestures towards the now cold, bored and cramping mage. More disturbingly it speaks into his head.

Hi boss! I'm really pretty smart and can find stuff with my nose and ears real good!

The little guy also has 3 HP and an AC of 7. The HP are added to Philo's. You can refuse him and try again next year. Up to you.

The next important task Philo has on a list, somewhere, is finding a new instructor after that unfortunate business with the paper and the Academy. gently caress 'the Great Sage' Viviana Prind right in his food exit too!

-/-

Where is a hobbit of Hassia supposed to set up shop? Certainly not around New Town. And what an unfortunate place that is! The sooner Crutlin can get out of here the better. Taking a windroller all the way to Norward seems really dangerous, not to mention expensive. Going overland to Merriland could be OK but it seems unnecessarily tedious. If a boat must be contemplated one of the cheap, and decidedly flimsy looking ones to Cascade? As a last resort he could ask his family for help. Perhaps a tavern? Maybe an actual decision can wait. Discretion is the better part of valour! Speaking of tedious here comes one of those ridiculously regaled elven city guards. Oh bollocks! She's definitely coming this way too.

New Town City Watch

You there! You are a Fairdowns aren't you? Can you help in a legal dispute? Get word to your magistrate? Matters of hobbit kind are a little beyond me, and my pay grade!

She seems harmless enough. If you don't consider the arms and armour.

-/-

So swamp gives way to wood land, and more woodland and oh Hassia when does it stop!? Well right here possibly. Across a ways into the forest hiding in the shaded gloom is a wolf.

:rolldice:

Lucky elven rangers aren't easily surprised! Even luckier therefore was the wolf as it springs at Chartuin without warning, attacking without mercy.

The wolf snaps at Chartuin and connects once doing 2 HP of damage. Chartuin is now on 17 HP

Round One. Initiative! :rolldice: The elf wins!

What is the elf doing?

-/-

Still need some more info before I start on Storm and Anna.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Crutiln: uhhh maybe I guess? What's this all about?

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Apr 6, 2016

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Chartuin

Being attacked by random hungry creatures of the forest was part of any ranger's life, but that didn't mean it was any less unpleasant. Chartuin sighs as he draws his katana longsword. A lone wolf was probably ill or terribly unpopular with the rest of the pack, so its chances of survival in the future were slim. Chartuin will try his best to murder this dog with his sword for the good of the forest. And himself.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Philo Flatfrock

Adjusting his cap as it slips briefly over his eyes, Philo looks the little weasel over. He'd studied the possibilities a while back, and wasn't particularly surprised by his new companion. He had expected a cat, given the recent theological upset in the city, but he smiles a little at the symbolism of being met by an animal that receives so little respect that even comparing someone to it was considered an insult. Philo's never been the judgmental type, he's just glad the ritual worked at all. He clears his throat and attempts to put a little pomp and circumstance into his greeting, but his tone of voice remains a little on the flat side. "Greetings, loyal familiar! I am Philo Flatfrock, master of the arcane and, uh, oh, who am I kidding? I've only learned first-level spells, and the academy wants nothing to do with me after I said a little too much being interviewed for a newspaper they hated to begin with. Well, either way, pleased to meet you, hope you're not too disappointed to meet me in such a sorry state." He gives the weasel a wry, but friendly, smile, the bags under Philo's eyes betraying the stress of the past few days. He reaches into one of the pockets in his robes and pulls out a small piece of dried meat, taken from his rations. He offers it to his new familiar as a token of hospitality, and gestures towards his shoulder, inviting the weasel to climb up.

(Writing this actually led me to look up some info and turns out weasels are actually pretty hardcore killing machines, pound-for-pound. Despite being tiny and adorable, they take down prey animals much larger than themselves by grabbing onto their backs as tight as they can and chomping their way through the back of the prey's neck and throat until they win, and on top of that, when they go into kill mode, they don't quit until everything around them is dead or fled, they can apparently wipe out a whole brood of farm chickens at once if they get in. Now I know why they're just one step below the Magical Creature option.)

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

ewe2 posted:

Crutiln

uhhh maybe I guess? What's this all about?
[OOC: ^Edited for Preferred layout]

Elf Guard

Oh Thank You so much! The affairs of halflings do my head in. Winkle Streambed is demanding the arrest of Flosina Streambed due to unpaid rent. But Flosina claims she paid the rent. Winkle says that if she had paid the rent then there would be receipts so where are they? Flosina says he never gave her any receipts and I've been going back and forth between them all morning. If someone doesn't help me sort it out soon I'll ...Well I don't know. So please help.

Skellybones posted:

Chartuin

Being attacked by random hungry creatures of the forest was part of any ranger's life, but that didn't mean it was any less unpleasant. Chartuin sighs as he draws his katana longsword. A lone wolf was probably ill or terribly unpopular with the rest of the pack, so its chances of survival in the future were slim. Chartuin will try his best to murder this dog with his sword for the good of the forest. And himself.
Round One! The elf's turn
Chartuin swings his might long sword at the foul wolf beast and misses.
The wolf has another go at making some fast food and hits for 3 HP of damage. Chartuin is now on 14 HP.

Round Two. Initiative! :rolldice: Elf wins again!
Elf swings again! And misses. Apparently swinging one of these things is trickier than it looks.
The wolf slavers, snarls and snaps but misses too.

Round Three. Initiative! :rolldice: :woof: wins!
The wolf tries to grab the agile elf in it's sharp teeth, again. It narrowly misses.
The elf uses the openning to strike at the frenzy of fetid fur and smites it for 5 HP. The wolf is still up, but definitely felt that blow.

Round Four. Initiative! :rolldice: Elf wins!
Another mighty blow is struck! The wolf takes 5 more HP and is looking decidedly sad.
Retaliation is the order of the day but the wolf isn't having a good day.

Round Five. Initiative! :rolldice: :woof: wins!
Summoning up all it's remaining strength and fury the wolf lunges doing 4 HP to Chartuin. He is now on 10 HP
Reeling from the fearsomeness of the attack the elf misses his chance at a counterstrike.

Round Six. Initiative! :rolldice: Elf wins!
The length of the combat takes its toll and despite having the upper hand Chartuin can not land a punishing blow.
This has confounded the wolf enough that all its attacks are ultimately futile.

Round Seven. Initiative! :rolldice: :woof: wins!
Seeing a brief opening as Chartuin tries to catch his breath the wolf crashes it's jaws on a briefly exposed leg. 5 HP are gone just like that. Crutlin is now on :siren: 5 HP :ohdear:.
The wolf isn't going get it all its way and this blow makes it lie still panting faintly as its life blood slips away.

A victory! Hurray!

This does raise some interesting points about equipment. Especially armour. Do we need to go shopping?

EclecticTastes posted:

Philo Flatfrock

Adjusting his cap as it slips briefly over his eyes, Philo looks the little weasel over. He'd studied the possibilities a while back, and wasn't particularly surprised by his new companion. He had expected a cat, given the recent theological upset in the city, but he smiles a little at the symbolism of being met by an animal that receives so little respect that even comparing someone to it was considered an insult. Philo's never been the judgmental type, he's just glad the ritual worked at all. He clears his throat and attempts to put a little pomp and circumstance into his greeting, but his tone of voice remains a little on the flat side. "Greetings, loyal familiar! I am Philo Flatfrock, master of the arcane and, uh, oh, who am I kidding? I've only learned first-level spells, and the academy wants nothing to do with me after I said a little too much being interviewed for a newspaper they hated to begin with. Well, either way, pleased to meet you, hope you're not too disappointed to meet me in such a sorry state." He gives the weasel a wry, but friendly, smile, the bags under Philo's eyes betraying the stress of the past few days. He reaches into one of the pockets in his robes and pulls out a small piece of dried meat, taken from his rations. He offers it to his new familiar as a token of hospitality, and gestures towards his shoulder, inviting the weasel to climb up.

(Writing this actually led me to look up some info and turns out weasels are actually pretty hardcore killing machines, pound-for-pound. Despite being tiny and adorable, they take down prey animals much larger than themselves by grabbing onto their backs as tight as they can and chomping their way through the back of the prey's neck and throat until they win, and on top of that, when they go into kill mode, they don't quit until everything around them is dead or fled, they can apparently wipe out a whole brood of farm chickens at once if they get in. Now I know why they're just one step below the Magical Creature option.)

The weasel finds a spot to curl up on Philo's shoulder under the robe and after a gentle sigh goes to sleep. His legs make tiny kicks as he dreams weasel dreams about, lets be honest, killing small defenceless creatures. He perhaps dreams a name.

Philo now has 7 HP so long as the weasel is within 120' of him.

Philo is tired and in a forest. It is dark.

-/-

Anna

Finds the spot in the Ropemakers with little trouble. The temple is pretty much complete with only one tower remaining to be completed. It is marvellous, impressive and extremely tacky. Someone's taste was a mixture of the baroque and the barbarous. Several cats lounge around the grounds and there is a little bit of wiff if the truth be told. Anna is, of course, in no mood to let reality cloud her visions of Hassia and daring-do. She strides eagerly into the temple paying her respects to the various effigies of the new Goddess.

Priest

Ah my sister, welcome to the house of Hassia! Are you in need of some service?

-/-

Storm

Finding herself now deep into the somewhat familiar forest Storm reflects upon her desire to become a Druid. Yes. It is definitely what she wants. She has, after all, got the shiny new sickle and a really cool knobbly staff made from a fallen branch that practically makes her a proper druid. Trees, check. Strange moss in the undergrowth, check. Some sort of fungus, check. Now if only someone could tell her exactly what sort of moss and fungus and how it was all connected to Minido's great understanding of the deep cycles of life and rocks and water and air and even fire. How do you find a druid? Well in a forest is probably a good start, check! Summoning up all her druidy feelings Storm screws her eyes shut and thinks about finding a Druid really really hard while she clicks her heels together a couple of times because, well because.

When she opens her eyes the forrest appears exactly as it did before she closed them. Her shoulders slump. This was harder than she had imagined. She hears a snort from behind her and turns to see a unicorn. Well now that's something you don't see everyday! It indicates that she should climb onto its back. Well if that wasn't her destiny then what was? Mounting the unicorn it ambles through the forest until it comes upon a glade by a pond at the foot of a waterfall. The unicorn snorts and makes it clear that riding is no longer an option. Storm slips from its back. Emerging like a figure from a cloud an extremely old elven women with grey plaited hair and languid hazel eyes appears by the pond.

Well Storm. Looks like you found a Druid. What do you want to know today?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Crutiln

Crutiln sighs a tiny hobbit sigh of irritation. I get away from that collection of morons, make something of myself and what do I get? Don't they know basic law around here?

By Hassia's whiskers! Look my good err..Elf, the magistrate isn't going to be terribly interested unless Winkle files a claim in Fairdowns Court, if he tells you any different, I'd say he's lying. It's a civil case, not one for the guards: if he's threatening her, arrest him instead. But I have a question for you on another matter: is there some notice board around here for people wanting to share passage to Norward or Merriland?

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
Storm

Storm blinks at the elder, not quite believing her luck, but nonetheless grateful that Minido has seen fit to bring her here. Wherever 'here' is....Storm is still not quite sure.

She must be at least, like, three hundred years old. What do I even say? Oh, right...

Storm struggles to remember the greeting prescribed by eons of Elvish tradition. At least the sound of the nearby waterfall makes her silence slightly less awkward.

Fair be our meeting, for our hearts are light and our swords sheathed, we hold peace in our hands and its light...guides us?

I cannot believe I made that sound like a question. I hope she didn't notice...

I have come in search of knowledge. I feel that I am ready to begin my path to...Druidhood? Druidity? Is that what they call it?

Minido, please open up the earth beneath me so it swallows me whole and I can forget about this entire day.

(did I format that correctly? I feel like I needed to distinguish between Storm's thoughts and descriptions of her actions :v:)

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Philo Flatfrock

Philo lets his new friend get comfortable, and works on clearing the mess he made with his ritual, safely disposing of any dangerous materials. Once he's finished, he collects his things and stands, careful not to wake his familiar. He begins thinking of names, but is soon sidetracked with the thought that the weasel might already have a name, or may at least have one in mind. He considers that he may be overanalyzing the issue, and decides to come up with a handful of names, so when the weasel wakes up, Philo will just ask if he's got a name, and if not, he'll be prepared to run a few options by his diminutive companion.

He begins the walk back to town, lantern held in front of him, not exactly looking forward to his new life as what amounts to a murderous, thieving vagrant, his victims merely restricted to those creatures dangerous enough to be called monsters. Hopefully he'll stumble onto some sort of noble quest, rather than having to just plunder some unsuspecting tomb or cavern. In all this, he tries to avoid thinking of the more pressing matter of his continued advancement as a mage. If he can't find somebody else to help him with the deeper secrets of the arcane, Philo's skills are sure to stagnate. He sighs heavily, unsure where to even begin looking. There's certainly no chance of anyone affiliated with the academy helping him. He'll just have to hope he discovers a lead that guides him to a sufficiently powerful hedge wizard or hermit. Rather than let nervousness consume him, he softly mutters a mantra to Mosus, the living source of his, and every mage's, power. "Magic, do as you will. Magic, do as you will..."

(By the way, since I like researching functionally meaningless details, if the setting is, as one might assume with D&D, vaguely based on western Europe, particularly France, Britain, and Ireland, then the specific species of my familiar is most likely to be the short-tailed weasel, otherwise known as a stoat or ermine. The other predominant European species, the least weasel, is more common towards Russia, based on a handful of minutes looking at Wikipedia. Stoats are a couple inches bigger than the least weasel, on average, though most remain under a foot long. They're also one of the species known to perform the "weasel war dance" when excited. :eng101:)

LordNagash
Dec 29, 2012
Addek

Not like I got much of a choice, is it? I know how it goes. Sure, I'll do your spyin' for ya. Looks like I wore out my welcome here anyway.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

ewe2 posted:

Crutiln

Crutiln sighs a tiny hobbit sigh of irritation. I get away from that collection of morons, make something of myself and what do I get? Don't they know basic law around here?

By Hassia's whiskers! Look my good err..Elf, the magistrate isn't going to be terribly interested unless Winkle files a claim in Fairdowns Court, if he tells you any different, I'd say he's lying. It's a civil case, not one for the guards: if he's threatening her, arrest him instead. But I have a question for you on another matter: is there some notice board around here for people wanting to share passage to Norward or Merriland?
The elven guard

Rolls her eyes at the fine distinctions in hobbit law.

So I don't have to do anything? Suits me. You've done me a solid favour so if I understand you correctly; To get to Merriland you'd have to join up with one of the merchant caravans going that way. So that would be a tavern. The one at the market gate would seem best placed. For some reasons you little folk call it the Market Gate Tavern. If you seek Norward then go to the docks to the South. If there are windrollers leaving that's where they'll be leaving from.

Now if that's all I'm sure there's some pissant misdemeanour someone wants to dob someone else in for. I know I can hardly wait.

Mithranderp posted:

Storm

Storm blinks at the elder, not quite believing her luck, but nonetheless grateful that Minido has seen fit to bring her here. Wherever 'here' is....Storm is still not quite sure.

She must be at least, like, three hundred years old. What do I even say? Oh, right...

Storm struggles to remember the greeting prescribed by eons of Elvish tradition. At least the sound of the nearby waterfall makes her silence slightly less awkward.

Fair be our meeting, for our hearts are light and our swords sheathed, we hold peace in our hands and its light...guides us?

I cannot believe I made that sound like a question. I hope she didn't notice...

I have come in search of knowledge. I feel that I am ready to begin my path to...Druidhood? Druidity? Is that what they call it?

Minido, please open up the earth beneath me so it swallows me whole and I can forget about this entire day.

(did I format that correctly? I feel like I needed to distinguish between Storm's thoughts and descriptions of her actions :v:)
[OOC: Formatting is great. That's why Minido gave us three (well five but underlining is rarely a good look and strikethrough only has one use.) font styles. All praise Minido!]

Elderly Druid

Tush and pish posh young lady! I am Tofuna a mere initiate of the Sixth Circle and still quite spritely for my thirteen hundred years. No I can't read your mind, but I'm very good at faces. This is one of many sacred groves in this land and it is by contemplation in places such as these that we come to know Minido in all her splendour.

A unicorn ride is a very rare boon and I have never known Hoos to grant one before, thus our meeting is doubly auspicious. So to business:

Tofuna explains how to select and memorise spells. Storm gets four(I can explain the mechanics if required). She then explains about spell components and how the quality and type strongly affects the properties of the casting. Then she checks over Storm's equipment and garb and tut tuts a few times. A small alcove in the rocks by the waterfall reveals many strange and interesting things.

Now you'll have to excuse the condition but I think I have something in your size.

The wizened old Druid pulls out an ancient set of leather armour with a light green patina, a small wooden shield, a solidly framed backpack and sundry travelling gear. She carefully wraps a selection of herbs and other organic matter and skilfully rolls them into a silk and leather satchel.

Have these as a boon from Minido. Where ever you go seek out a grove such as this. Minido will guide you. Let me know how you fare if you get the chance. Leaving a message at any grove will do the trick. I will likewise leave you a message if I need to tell you something. Oh and you definitely need one of these

She hands Storm a small holy synbol to Minido

Do you feel quite Druidy enough now?

EclecticTastes posted:

Philo Flatfrock

Philo lets his new friend get comfortable, and works on clearing the mess he made with his ritual, safely disposing of any dangerous materials. Once he's finished, he collects his things and stands, careful not to wake his familiar. He begins thinking of names, but is soon sidetracked with the thought that the weasel might already have a name, or may at least have one in mind. He considers that he may be overanalyzing the issue, and decides to come up with a handful of names, so when the weasel wakes up, Philo will just ask if he's got a name, and if not, he'll be prepared to run a few options by his diminutive companion.

He begins the walk back to town, lantern held in front of him, not exactly looking forward to his new life as what amounts to a murderous, thieving vagrant, his victims merely restricted to those creatures dangerous enough to be called monsters. Hopefully he'll stumble onto some sort of noble quest, rather than having to just plunder some unsuspecting tomb or cavern. In all this, he tries to avoid thinking of the more pressing matter of his continued advancement as a mage. If he can't find somebody else to help him with the deeper secrets of the arcane, Philo's skills are sure to stagnate. He sighs heavily, unsure where to even begin looking. There's certainly no chance of anyone affiliated with the academy helping him. He'll just have to hope he discovers a lead that guides him to a sufficiently powerful hedge wizard or hermit. Rather than let nervousness consume him, he softly mutters a mantra to Mosus, the living source of his, and every mage's, power. "Magic, do as you will. Magic, do as you will..."

(By the way, since I like researching functionally meaningless details, if the setting is, as one might assume with D&D, vaguely based on western Europe, particularly France, Britain, and Ireland, then the specific species of my familiar is most likely to be the short-tailed weasel, otherwise known as a stoat or ermine. The other predominant European species, the least weasel, is more common towards Russia, based on a handful of minutes looking at Wikipedia. Stoats are a couple inches bigger than the least weasel, on average, though most remain under a foot long. They're also one of the species known to perform the "weasel war dance" when excited. :eng101:)
[OOC: My setting is such a bizarre home brew that even 'vaguely western Europe' isn't going to cut it. Maybe most like Moorish Spain? Anyhow to relationships to specific weasel species.. So long as you're having fun]

Just the steady incantation of the holy verses of Mosus causes an idea to crystallise in the proto mage's skull. Mosus! That's the answer. Surely a visit to the temple will set matters to right. That's the reward of all these seconds of selfless devotion. Philo fondles his holy symbol dutifully.

(Holy symbol of Mosus)

But he is not yet out of the woods. Several disturbing and unfamiliar sounds erupt from shadowy places and it is a much fearful mage that leaves the woodlands to start the long climb to the Upper City and the temple district. Being a human in the robes of a mage means Philo isn't bothered at any of the gated stairs by the smartly dressed Paladins of Sudinia. He skirts widely around the precinct of the Academy however and is soon before the towering crystalline edifice that is the supreme temple to magic in all of Norward and therefore the universe. What mighty magics caused this three hundred feet tall representation of the three translucent crystals to come into being was beyond imaginings and the space enclosed by the three slender crystal legs was veiled by some shimmering curtain of force. Incanting the holy verses Philo steps through and within. The night hour population is thin and soon an ancient bald fellow in plate bedecked with symbols of Mosus ambles over.

Philgen, High Priest of Mosus, glad to be reacquainted. I can see there is much on your mind. Care to share the burden?

LordNagash posted:

Addek

Not like I got much of a choice, is it? I know how it goes. Sure, I'll do your spyin' for ya. Looks like I wore out my welcome here anyway.
A wheezy voice from the shadows.

Oh you had choices. Not very pleasant ones but choices none the less. Your enthusiasm does us all proud. There is a windroller in the harbour called the Sheaf of Plenty make yourself known to a hobbit by the name of Poppy and she'll take you to Norward. My associates will give you a small supply of some of our finest contact poison before you leave. I don't need to mention that being caught either with it or using it will be even worse news than you usually get delivered. Haunt the docks in Norward and keep a watch on the doing of all the Dwarven merchants, and their associates if your nose smells something iffy. Knowledge is gold, so mine as deep as you need to get the best nuggets. Send word to us via the 'Merry Badger' (A notorious human Inn in Hediguk. The wheezy voice means to write a letter addressed to the Merry Badger marked with the appropriate Assassin runes the windrollers carry mail for a nominal charge). Any questions? Good.

The two thugs that brought him shove a small paper package with undue roughness onto Addek's chest and herd him off in the direction of the lift to the harbour.

Addek gathers his meagre possessions and along with several other dwarves makes his way to the queue for the lift down to the harbour. He stands unconcerned as strange carts pushed by giant badgers make their way too and from the lifts. Similarly the enormous defensive works that form the opening to the outside hold no fascination. Good to see the back of them really. The lift to the harbour does however get his attention. Handing the toll collector a badly forged chit for the lift fare he is ushered onto an iron platform suspended by chains at the corners. Dwarves and goods are pushed on until there is no room left and then the whole thing drops towards the floor of a narrow cleft in the mountains. Arrayed like children's toys from this elevation several of these 'windrollers' stand at the bottom. The flimsy iron chain handrail is little comfort as the iron slab plunges towards the earth below. With little ceremony however, the apparatus comes to a halt and with Dwarven efficiency all aboard are shoved off. A twin platform was passed on the way down and the mechanism that makes it all go must be a sight to see.

Anyway the order of the day is to find the 'Sheaf of Plenty' and get out of harbour before anyone notices the dud chit and asks too many questions. The names on the big wheeled ships are not in proper runes but the ugly scrawl of the human and other folk. A long wooden ramp sits along side the one named Sheaf of Plenty. Hopefully Poppy is on board, and leaving soonish.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Crutiln

Thank Hassia! Now to get out of here

My thanks!

Crutiln turns away and heads to the docks to see if he can hitch a ride on a windroller.

Perhaps I can work passage if it's too expensive

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
Storm

Storm pauses for some quick introspection as she gazes at Minido's symbol, admiring the colours.

This would make a really good brooch.

She looks up at Tofuna and shrugs.

I mean, I guess I feel more Druidic. I'm...unsure what it's supposed to feel like. I at least feel like my path is somewhat more tangible, so thank you, I truly appreciate your help. I will certainly take the time to update you about my progress. Minido willing, I won't run into too much trouble in my travels.

Now...how am I supposed to carry all this stuff?

Storm takes a while to don her new armor and figure out a way to carry everything without falling over. Thankfully, she has a nifty staff she can lean on if the load becomes too heavy in her travels. Tucking Minido's symbol into an easily accessible pocket, Storm turns to Tofuna.

Now...to discover where my path will take me. Thank you once again. If there is anything I can do to return your kindness...well, I will be sure to keep an eye out for your missives.

This gear is so heavy! I wonder if Hoos will grant me another ride.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Chartuin

Reeling a bit from exhaustion and blood loss, Chartuin does his best to kill the wolf cleanly. No sense in letting it suffer needlessly. After taking a break to catch his breath and bandage his many bites (hopefully it didn't have a disease) Chartuin tries to put a bit of distance between himself and the carcass before more predators are attracted by the smell of blood. Isn't there a town somewhere this way?

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Philo Flatfrock

Philo nods as he again takes in the image of the temple. He'd been here a number of times, but the sight of the enormous crystals always amazed him. He'd never seen the point in getting caught up in the trappings of his station, as the other mages of the academy did, with their many prayers to Vopin. Philo had always appreciated the mystery of magic itself more than the attendant social status, which might explain why he couldn't seem to advance very far there. "Thank you, Father, I actually have a lot on my mind. I don't know if you read that new periodical that's gotten popular in the lower districts, the Norward News, but to summarize, I gave an interview for it, and may have said a little more than the academy approved of, so, uh, I'm kind of between mentors right now. Nobody affiliated with the academy will even acknowledge me, I'm afraid. As many of the independent mages that pass through Norward make a stop here, I was hoping you might have met one that might be willing to lend a hand." Philo looks embarrassed to be asking for help, a little ashamed that even at his age, he's having trouble being self-sufficient.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
Anna

Thank you Father. I would like to make a request. If it pleases Hassia, I wish to serve Her the way paladins serve Sudina.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

ewe2 posted:

Crutiln

Thank Hassia! Now to get out of here

My thanks!

Crutiln turns away and heads to the docks to see if he can hitch a ride on a windroller.

Perhaps I can work passage if it's too expensive
The docks are a fair walk from New Town but for a hobbit 'on the lamb' with few assets shank's pony is the surest bet. The scenery, as the cliffs approach, is pleasant enough. The track follows the banks of a small creek that eventually plunges into a sink hole just before the small valley it occupied drops away towards the billiard table smooth plain below. The track has been laboriously cut into the sheer limestone cliffs and as one of the reasonably frequent carts passes all must squeeze towards the cliff to allow passage. In the distance, at the bottom, is a small clump of shacks on top of a wooden platform. Alongside this platform are four strange vessels. One is enormous. Even from this distance the three huge masts with their many yard arms and masses of ropes makes it clearly stand out from the other three. They are all single mast vessels of a reasonably similar size. Below the unfamiliar masses of rigging are large 'boats' which are in turn set upon wheeled axles.

Having wind rollers explained to you certainly doesn't prepare one for their actual presence. Getting closer just heightens the surprise. Once on the wooden platform, the names painted on the boats become visible. The big one is called Mare of the Plains. The little ones are variously Grass Dart, Golden Goose and Centaur's Bridle. The big one looks much more reassuring than the little three and spotting another halfling taking in the air, like he is, Crutlin inquires about the chief difference between the vessels. Like ne'er-do-wells the multiverse over the idle hobbit commences with a 'joke'.

Well you see the Mare of the Plains is a good deal bigger than those three.

Crutlin's good natured nodding at this statement of the bleedingly obvious somewhat mollifies the wag.

In truth the difference is part due to cargo and part to defence. The little ones have essentially no serious weapons. They survive on speed and wit alone. More weight means less speed and agility. With more weight comes the risk of being caught by everything out there

Indicates the plain that lies at the end of this odd valley.

Getting caught can only have one outcome unless you are able to fend off trouble. If you look at the forecastle on the Mare of the Plains you can see one of the four ballista stations. There is one on each corner. If it's big enough to be attacking a roller then only a weapon with that sort of stopping power is going to make a difference. But that assuming you're crazy enough to take the risk of a journey out on the grass. Me, I like it here I can watch the big beautiful things till I've had my fill and then walk back home and never once have to inconvenience myself by taking a trip on one of them.

With that the handsome young lady returns to her pipe and her apparently idle scrutiny of the scene.

Mithranderp posted:

Storm

Storm pauses for some quick introspection as she gazes at Minido's symbol, admiring the colours.

This would make a really good brooch.

She looks up at Tofuna and shrugs.

I mean, I guess I feel more Druidic. I'm...unsure what it's supposed to feel like. I at least feel like my path is somewhat more tangible, so thank you, I truly appreciate your help. I will certainly take the time to update you about my progress. Minido willing, I won't run into too much trouble in my travels.

Now...how am I supposed to carry all this stuff?

Storm takes a while to don her new armor and figure out a way to carry everything without falling over. Thankfully, she has a nifty staff she can lean on if the load becomes too heavy in her travels. Tucking Minido's symbol into an easily accessible pocket, Storm turns to Tofuna.

Now...to discover where my path will take me. Thank you once again. If there is anything I can do to return your kindness...well, I will be sure to keep an eye out for your missives.

This gear is so heavy! I wonder if Hoos will grant me another ride.
Hoos is quite gone. The only way is any way. Sticking around certainly has it's charms but that would run a little counter to the whole 'runaway' motif, drat it. Trapped by her own determination to see the world she now must follow through. Trudging about in the forest, while not without it's charms, is probably less experiential than seeking the halfling farm holds and the road that accompanies them. Roads are for carts right?

The possession of a holy symbol to Minido and the karma of her meeting with Tofuni allow Storm to pass out of the forest and locate one of the small farmholds that represent the early signs of incursion into nature's world. There is indeed a track leading to the West along side the Brilduin river. Taking the burden of her destiny, and apparently her new gear, she elects to plomp down by the track side and catch her breath awhile. There'll be a cart along soon surely.

Skellybones posted:

Chartuin

Reeling a bit from exhaustion and blood loss, Chartuin does his best to kill the wolf cleanly. No sense in letting it suffer needlessly. After taking a break to catch his breath and bandage his many bites (hopefully it didn't have a disease) Chartuin tries to put a bit of distance between himself and the carcass before more predators are attracted by the smell of blood. Isn't there a town somewhere this way?
What's a little blood loss and fang gouging to a keen Ranger about the woods any way. A Ranger and their sense of tracking is no match for mere geography. Out of the woods and onto the track by the Brilduin before you can say, well quite a long bardic epic actually. Just as the brighter illumination of the cleared land becomes near a little chap steps out into Chartuin's path.

You haven't seen a wolf have you?

EclecticTastes posted:

Philo Flatfrock

Philo nods as he again takes in the image of the temple. He'd been here a number of times, but the sight of the enormous crystals always amazed him. He'd never seen the point in getting caught up in the trappings of his station, as the other mages of the academy did, with their many prayers to Vopin. Philo had always appreciated the mystery of magic itself more than the attendant social status, which might explain why he couldn't seem to advance very far there. "Thank you, Father, I actually have a lot on my mind. I don't know if you read that new periodical that's gotten popular in the lower districts, the Norward News, but to summarize, I gave an interview for it, and may have said a little more than the academy approved of, so, uh, I'm kind of between mentors right now. Nobody affiliated with the academy will even acknowledge me, I'm afraid. As many of the independent mages that pass through Norward make a stop here, I was hoping you might have met one that might be willing to lend a hand." Philo looks embarrassed to be asking for help, a little ashamed that even at his age, he's having trouble being self-sufficient.
Philgen

Oh you're that Philo. Oh dear, dear, dear. Still can't be helped now. That Mosus allows such fools to use her good graces is quite beyond me. Now let me think. Hmm, no she'd be too busy. Then, too much of an arsehole. I've got it! Walago at the Healers. He owes me a favour after I identified that ring for him! Go and see him. Oh and do say I sent you in case he decides he's too busy. The healers are only a couple of levels down and their guild fee is usually waived.

Anything else?

Freudian Slip posted:

Anna

Thank you Father. I would like to make a request. If it pleases Hassia, I wish to serve Her the way paladins serve Sudina.
Snivick

Language child! We don't like to say the 'P' word around these parts. Thank Hassia that Martha wasn't here. Oh excuse me I perceive your meaning! The shock really. Well that's an interesting idea. Why should the stuffy dolts have all the goodies? Have you consulted Hassia about it? Or is that why you are here. I guess that must be why you're here. Well allow me to do some time communing with Hassia and I'm sure we'll learn the way of it. You are serious? I mean otherwise that's a whole bunch of incense and what not I'm not likely to see again, not to mention wear and tear on good relations with 'you know who'.

After a couple of hours Snivick returns with a bunch of information which he gabbles about for a while (That stuff from the other thread). Chief among these is a requirement to be 'trained' by a cleric of Hassia. Apparently Anna is to be the first and, as such, can't expect to be trained by a 'superior' level character. Signing on is actually pretty informal but the aspirant must become a paragon of Hassia in every way. This would normally involve a host of scripture reading and hours of knee callusing prayer but Hassia isn't 'that' kind of a deity so Anna is pretty much free to go about her business.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Chartuin

"Oh, for certain. I saw it, and then I felt it here, here, here and here" he points out each bite, "And then it felt this a few times" pointing at his sword, "And ultimately all its blood fell out while I kept some of mine." emoting sprays of blood.

"Wait. You didn't know that wolf, did you?"

Killing someone's animal companion is generally a faux pas in woodland circles.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Storm

Storm whistles a Sylvan folk tune as she waits. The surroundings seem relatively quiet--perhaps too quiet for her liking--and she finds herself missing the company of others once more.

I sure hope nothing's gonna sneak up on me. Like, a wolf or something. That'd be bad.

Storm looks behind her just to make sure nothing followed her out of the forest.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Crutiln

Mmm, nice toes

You're a servant of Hassia, have some dignity he scolded himself. Crutiln stepped on to the gangplank of the Mare of the Planes and looked ahead for anyone to negotiate passage with.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Skellybones posted:

Chartuin

"Oh, for certain. I saw it, and then I felt it here, here, here and here" he points out each bite, "And then it felt this a few times" pointing at his sword, "And ultimately all its blood fell out while I kept some of mine." emoting sprays of blood.

"Wait. You didn't know that wolf, did you?"

Killing someone's animal companion is generally a faux pas in woodland circles.
Little guy

Well 'know of' really. I was trying to catch up with it to see if it had been enchanted. There's been a spate of these sort of things going on and lone wolfs are either diseased or crazy normally. Oh well can't be helped I suppose.

And with that the little guy starts to fade into the forest.

Mithranderp posted:

Storm

Storm whistles a Sylvan folk tune as she waits. The surroundings seem relatively quiet--perhaps too quiet for her liking--and she finds herself missing the company of others once more.

I sure hope nothing's gonna sneak up on me. Like, a wolf or something. That'd be bad.

Storm looks behind her just to make sure nothing followed her out of the forest.
The precautions appear to be working as nothing happens. It is quite pleasant here. It might be an opportunity to use one of the newly found abilities. You know just while waiting. Locate Animals perhaps, maybe a Predict Weather, if there are any animals maybe having a chat with one of them could be a way to pass the time. For some reason cats are on Storm's mind as she tries to locate animals with the shiney new spell. It turns up a forest cat

chilling up a tree not more than twenty feet away. It tries not to make eye contact.

ewe2 posted:

Crutiln

Mmm, nice toes

You're a servant of Hassia, have some dignity he scolded himself. Crutiln stepped on to the gangplank of the Mare of the Planes and looked ahead for anyone to negotiate passage with.
The crew aboard the Mare are a multiracial hodge podge and ignore the tiny hobbit. Standing to the rear, aft? Is an old male Stout. They appear to be the one giving out orders. Making his way over Crutlin waits for a pause in the dialogue to introduce himself.

The Stout

Well ain't that a sight for sore eyes. I'm Pa Greenfoot and I'm Master of the Mare. So you'd be the healing kind of cleric? 'Cause if you are we can always use one on this tub. We're headed for Cascade and then on to Norward. You're welcome to come so long as you sign the articles for the crew and take heed not to be partial in your ministrations. Will that be acceptable?

The Articles for The Mare of the Plains posted:

I. Every crew shall obey civil command; the Captain and the Master shall have one full Share and a half, the Boatswain, First mate, and Ballistier shall have one Share and quarter, the leading hands will receive one share and a tenth.

II. If any crew shall steal any thing in the possession of the crew or cargo they shall be abandoned on the plain.

III. If any time we shall meet another abandoned on the plain that crew shall sign their articles without the consent of our company, shall suffer such punishment as the Captain and company shall think fit.

IV. That crew shall not keep his arms clean, fit for an engagement, or neglect his business, shall be cut off from his Share, and suffer such other punishment as the Captain and company shall think fit.

V. If any crew shall lose their life while on a voyage and their body being unrecovered the owner shall pay their family 5000 gp.

VI. If any crew shall lose their life while on a voyage and their body being recovered they shall be raised from the dead at the cost of the company.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Crutiln

Most acceptable!

Crutiln signed the articles. At last he was on his way, and healing practice, too! Adventurelust gripped him and he was impatient to be off. He walked up to the fo'csle and looked out over the plain, wondering what dangers lay ahead, glad that at least this sea was waterless. He memorised Cure Light Wounds, Remove Fear and Bless. He wondered if there was a ship's cat to talk to, might be useful information.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Storm

Storm stares at the majestic cat, thanking Minido for calling her attention to it.

I wonder if it'll be friends with me. I know! I'll ask it!

Storm digs out a few more spell ingredients and casts Speak with Animals. She slowly approaches the cat so as not to startle it.

Hello! I hope you don't mind, I was wondering if you'd like to have a nice chat to pass the time.

(lmao I had actually intended to cast the locate animal spell but apparently my brain had other ideas when I posted)

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
Anna

I couldn't agree more father! Why should those stuffed suits of armour get to swan around like they're the gods gifts to humanity? What were they doing when babies were being murdered for crimes of their parents? Nothing. Bloody hypocrites!

The law tied their hands and let evil roam the streets. Hassia would have never let this happen.

Anna also finds out who she has to report to and on what schedule.

Father, as part of my vow of poverty Anna felt a thrill saying those words, what would her parents think! May I donate half of my wealth and spoils to the temple and the other half to the shelters?

Depending on his answer she will donate all but 20gp to the temple and the shelters.

She will then head the main shelter and seek out Martha.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Philo Flatfrock

(Whoa, sorry, I seem to have lost a few days due to an illness called "Stardew Valley", how utterly mortifying.)

Philo shakes the priest's hand gratefully. "Thank you very much, I'd best get going. Good night, and may Mosus grant power to your intent." With the traditional greeting of the goddess, Philo makes haste through the city, towards the Healer's Guild, though he moves carefully, still mindful of his tiny passenger. While he makes his way down the darkened streets, he rehearses a series of potential introductions he might attempt, rephrasing his case over and over, getting increasingly nervous as he goes.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

ewe2 posted:

Crutiln

Most acceptable!

Crutiln signed the articles. At last he was on his way, and healing practice, too! Adventurelust gripped him and he was impatient to be off. He walked up to the fo'csle and looked out over the plain, wondering what dangers lay ahead, glad that at least this sea was waterless. He memorised Cure Light Wounds, Remove Fear and Bless. He wondered if there was a ship's cat to talk to, might be useful information.
Of course there is a ship's cat! Unlike ships cats in 'our' world, windroller cats must be specially raised to tolerate the windroller life and lack of immediately available fish. They are still needed because all ships at some time or other handle food stuffs and any vermine can potentially destroy an entire cargo. They (like their terrestrial counterparts) do become part of the crew and therefore pets to some degree. However before Crutlin can commence saying 'Here kitty kitty' there are some ship board routines to be absorbed.

Pa Greenfoot

Spen! Got a new healer for ya to show the ropes.

Now Spen is the Ballister and I'll let him explain what that means anyway.

Appearing out of one of the ballista nests on the aft deck is another old halfling. Crutlin's well educated guess picks him as a large specimen of Stout. He's clad in well fitting metal armour with dull grey eyes and some matted dark brown hair poking out from his casually cocked helm. He doesn't appear impressed by Crutlin and sighs as he turns his gaze to Pa.

That's the best we could do? What am I supposed to do with this 'un?

Pa

He's crew like any other and might prove to the best of us, much like you didn't. Less yap and more doin' what I say.

Shrugging his shoulders Spen turns to Crutlin.

OK first things first. You might have been hired on as a surgeon but you are going to earn your keep as best we can employee you. During the regular day shift you'll be stationed in the aft starboard battery. You'll either load or aim and by the looks of you you might not be the worst yet. Still time will tell. Now if you leave your station head straight for the aft companionway. You aren't to hang about on deck. A single foot wrong at the worst time will doom us all.

He indicates the huge puzzle of ropes, winches and batons surrounding the deck.

When he said 'show you the ropes' that's literally the point. In your case all you need to know is that you know nothing and until you do you are to stay well out of the way of those that do. I'll show you below deck and let you see your quarters. follow me.

Leaving the bewildering collection of potential trip hazards and tangles behind Spen leads Crutlin to a hatch that covers a stairway down into the depths of the ship. Inside it is gloomy with darkness and rich in the sound and smell of thirty odd sailors. Immediately at the bottom of the companion way (aft presumably) is a room full of hammocks. The only unfettered area is the corridor that runs down the centre of the ship except for where masts bar the way.

Behind ya is the cabins. You needn't be worrying about them you won't be seeing the insides of them. Here is where you eat and sleep. Where's your locker? You don't even have a sea chest?

Spen looks around and finds a debilitated apple crate.

Here. On me. That's where your stuff goes when you ain't carrying it. You can have any hammock that ain't full but we sleep in shifts so don't be surprised if you get woken up and kicked out at some point. If you ain't on duty and you need to sleep find someone of the next watch and tip 'em out yourself! While we are still in harbour you have the freedom of the town but if we need hands for freight someone will come looking. We sail in two days because we are still waiting on some cargo. Any questions?

Mithranderp posted:

Storm

Storm stares at the majestic cat, thanking Minido for calling her attention to it.

I wonder if it'll be friends with me. I know! I'll ask it!

Storm digs out a few more spell ingredients and casts Speak with Animals. She slowly approaches the cat so as not to startle it.

Hello! I hope you don't mind, I was wondering if you'd like to have a nice chat to pass the time.

(lmao I had actually intended to cast the locate animal spell but apparently my brain had other ideas when I posted)
[OOC: That's OK I want to use this as a way of getting you all into the capabilities of your characters so...]

The Forrest Cat looks up sleepily and pauses to lick a foreleg.

Sure. Why not? I'm just letting my lunch digest. The fish in that river are second to none! And I'm basically the best at catching them, ever. That big path you are were sitting by? What game travels on it?

It sniffs the air

Freudian Slip posted:

Anna

I couldn't agree more father! Why should those stuffed suits of armour get to swan around like they're the gods gifts to humanity? What were they doing when babies were being murdered for crimes of their parents? Nothing. Bloody hypocrites!

The law tied their hands and let evil roam the streets. Hassia would have never let this happen.

Anna also finds out who she has to report to and on what schedule.

Father, as part of my vow of poverty Anna felt a thrill saying those words, what would her parents think! May I donate half of my wealth and spoils to the temple and the other half to the shelters?

Depending on his answer she will donate all but 20gp to the temple and the shelters.

She will then head the main shelter and seek out Martha.
Snivick

That all seems fine. I'll look out a cleric of Hassia that is of an appropriate sort. That way you won't have to come to the temple to consult with her. You know of Martha's shelter? And the way there? OK but these streets have a reputation for not being kind to lone elfs for some reason. May Hassia be with you!

The ropemakers and the foundry district are adjacent and since the failed wererat take over there has been a certain air of solidarity in the lower city. So much so that most of the guild gates are open for free passage. At the published address (435-437 Helm Street) there is the quite impressive stone building and associated yards spoken of in the many pamphlets about stopping domestic violence that seem to be finding there way everywhere. The foyer straight off the street is more like a fancy upper city hotel reception than a place for the desperate and needy. Anna's parents would fit right in. A female halfling is 'manning' the desk. Apparently Martha is not available unless there is an appointment, but in the way of all petty administrative pronouncements a particular dwarf with many orbiting Ioun stones strides purposefully from the yard at just that moment. She notes Anna's holy symbol and armour.

Martha Oakenshield

A cleric of Hassia for me!?

[OOC: If you like you can do both sides of your conversation.]

EclecticTastes posted:

Philo Flatfrock

(Whoa, sorry, I seem to have lost a few days due to an illness called "Stardew Valley", how utterly mortifying.)

Philo shakes the priest's hand gratefully. "Thank you very much, I'd best get going. Good night, and may Mosus grant power to your intent." With the traditional greeting of the goddess, Philo makes haste through the city, towards the Healer's Guild, though he moves carefully, still mindful of his tiny passenger. While he makes his way down the darkened streets, he rehearses a series of potential introductions he might attempt, rephrasing his case over and over, getting increasingly nervous as he goes.
Another human in a robe going into the healers gains the attention of precisely nobody. The signage, catering as it must to the diverse needs of the community, is only in common and makes no concessions to any variety in literacy above specialist. The immediate choice is between: Embalming, Mortuary, Triage, Surgery, Isolation, Psychiatry, Maternity, Public Health and Administration. Well, if you exclude the big sign that simple says 'GRAVEYARD THIS WAY'. Whether that be a portent or an omen or just a statement of fact is apparently left open for interpretation. Fortunately Philo counts among the privileged ranks of specialist and comprehends that it is to Psychiatry he must proceed. Some of the buildings are very grand indeed and some of them look like they were spat out by an angry dragon who had recently eaten a forest of cheap plywood. The psychiatrists must have at some point been held in high regard because their part of the campus looks very swank indeed. A large solid look stone edifice to the rear has a certain 'less swank' ambiance but the reception of the nice part is where Philo is headed.

The receptionist is a male halfling, as it happens, and after explaining his business a page is sent to inform Walago of his visitor. A sign calls this area 'The Waiting Room'. A mere five hours later Walago appears and eyes Philo suspiciously. Walago is an even more extreme bean pole than Philo, being the same height and a few pounds lighter in his frame. Most immediately noteworthy are his oddly pointed ears although his raven dark hair and piercing green eyes are similarly a little otherworldly.

So Philgen sent you to me? Well it seems we are star crossed mages. You are not needing training right now are you? Because my schedule is backed up from here to eternity. Still best make the best of it, I suppose. Care to buy me a drink?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Chartuin

"Hmm, well that's a little worrying. Hopefully just coincidence if that's at all possible. Fare-thee-well."

Chartuin will continue over the horizon to whatever lies ahead. Perhaps he should get his bites checked by a healer. Not only for specific wolf-related infections, but general being-bitten-by-things treatment.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Crutiln

When do we eat? And where is the ship's cat? Those questions aren't related. Oh, and when do I start duty?

LordNagash
Dec 29, 2012
Addek Thydain

Addek glanced around the harbour out of old habit, casing everyone that passed with the eye of an experienced cutpurse.

No time for that now. I need to get out of here before they make that chit, it was pretty shoddy work..

Shrugging mentally to himself, Addek boarded the Sheaf of Plenty with a confident, 'I'm-busy-and-know-exactly-where-i'm-going' air, and glanced around the deck casually. Hopefully finding this 'Poppy' [What kind of a name is that?) wouldn't prove too difficult.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Storm

Storm can't help but grin at the fact that she is currently talking to a real live cat. If she could go back in time to tell her younger self that she'd one day be able to do this...well, she wouldn't, because it would probably upset some natural timey-wimey balance thing, in addition to probably committing a grave affront to Minido.

Oh, actually I'm not entirely sure what travels on that path. Usually people travel on paths, but I'm hoping that a cart--er, basically a big wooden thing pulled by horses that carries people around--will come by soon, and that I can continue my journey. Say, can I ask your name?

Wait, do cats even have names? I hope I haven't offended it or something.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Philo Flatfrock

Philo shrugged his agreement. "I think I could use a drink about now, too. And don't worry, I won't need further training for a while, yet." As Philo walks with his new mentor towards the psychiatrist's tavern of choice, he relates the details of his predicament in full detail, before moving on to casual small talk. His many, many neuroses are painfully obvious to anyone with an ounce of mental health training, but they're the sort no medicine could cure, save the one they were both on their way to imbibe.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Skellybones posted:

Chartuin

"Hmm, well that's a little worrying. Hopefully just coincidence if that's at all possible. Fare-thee-well."

Chartuin will continue over the horizon to whatever lies ahead. Perhaps he should get his bites checked by a healer. Not only for specific wolf-related infections, but general being-bitten-by-things treatment.
Continuing out of the forest and towards the Brillduin, Chartuin inevitably finds the track to Bournebridge. With a similar level of inescapablility he also finds a woodelf sitting by the river on the track. They seem engrossed in conversation with a nearby tree. So nothing unusual for a woodelf really.

ewe2 posted:

Crutiln

When do we eat? And where is the ship's cat? Those questions aren't related. Oh, and when do I start duty?
Spen looks like his feelings on the newest crew member have just hardened somewhat.

You've got that around the wrong way. You'll get your feed when you are on duty which seeing as how you've signed on will be next break. As it is past eight in the morning you are technically now on duty and will be until the end of the day shift at four. Then you would be free to do what you will till eight tomorrow, if we were under sail. Like I said before while we are docked you can do as you please unless we need a hand with freight. Those hours are only for watch. If we need all hands then you will be expected to come on deck no matter what the hour. Greedy likes to run with a full crew. Technically you need eleven crew to handle the vessel and to fire most efficiently you need three crew per ballista. That means for most purposes we need thirty three sailors. Accounting of the three shifts and six by three for the ballisters plus one to direct fire is twenty one for a full crew. That's fifty four which is exactly what we have with you. If there is a particularly intense combat then we might want six of the other shift so we can simultaneously operate all four ballista instead of either all aft, starboard, port or fore. That means the firing teams don't have to move and can't get in the way. Furthermore if things are going that badly we need all hands with arms to protect the rails from boarders and provide missile fire.

Meals are more solid than fancy as the cook is whoever does the job best and is available. Do not make the mistake of calling any of your chow bad. That can only make it worse for your next meal. If you don't like the fare you are free to cook your own, so long as you make enough for the rest of us. So like I said while we are in dock you can go and buy what ever takes your fancy from where ever you choose. That would be my solid recommendation especially if you are the fussy kind. Someone is bound to cook up something at some point so you might stay and share that if you want. Up to you till the choice is taken away by us sailing.

The cat? That would be Moxie. She'll either be lying on deck in the sun or somewhere below deck terrorising anything small and squeaky. I don't go much on cats but she's a necessary Evil. Don't mess with her. Hurting a cat's bad luck.

Spen then shows Crutlin how to operate a ballista and they do some 'live' fire at the opposite cliff. The results are not encouraging.

Well that makes you a loader then. We're done for now, just don't wander too far away. The inn on the quay side of town is where word will be sent if you are needed and aren't on board and like I said we sail day after tomorrow and if you ain't aboard we will leave with out you.

Once Spen has gone Crutlin look everywhere for the cat and comes up with nothing. As he starts to fill his 'sea chest' there is a soft rubbing sensation and the sound of loud purring. Looks like Moxie found Crutlin.

LordNagash posted:

Addek Thydain

Addek glanced around the harbour out of old habit, casing everyone that passed with the eye of an experienced cutpurse.

No time for that now. I need to get out of here before they make that chit, it was pretty shoddy work..

Shrugging mentally to himself, Addek boarded the Sheaf of Plenty with a confident, 'I'm-busy-and-know-exactly-where-i'm-going' air, and glanced around the deck casually. Hopefully finding this 'Poppy' [What kind of a name is that?) wouldn't prove too difficult.
Poppy is extremely easy to find she's the shabbily dressed red headed hobbit who is sat on a stool by a table just at the top of the gangplank.

Oh gently caress no! Not more paperwork. I'm too short for this poo poo. Why do I ever need reminding on why I never do this run?

She looks at her halfling assistant expectantly but they shrug. Addek makes his introductions and the relief at this not involving more paperwork is palpable. Apparently he is a passenger and as such is shown below deck to what would pass as a decent lodgings in a hotel. Warnings about moving about the ship without due need are made, but in a polite enough way, and he is left to his own amusement.

Mithranderp posted:

Storm

Storm can't help but grin at the fact that she is currently talking to a real live cat. If she could go back in time to tell her younger self that she'd one day be able to do this...well, she wouldn't, because it would probably upset some natural timey-wimey balance thing, in addition to probably committing a grave affront to Minido.

Oh, actually I'm not entirely sure what travels on that path. Usually people travel on paths, but I'm hoping that a cart--er, basically a big wooden thing pulled by horses that carries people around--will come by soon, and that I can continue my journey. Say, can I ask your name?

Wait, do cats even have names? I hope I haven't offended it or something.
The forest cat seems to consider this carefully.

Well based on what I have heard your kind call me, I would be "Run for it". You can call me 'Kitty' if you like. What do they call you?

There is a general sense that 'Kitty' is a sign of warm endearment rather than an actual name. All things have names but revealing their real name to a stranger is not the way of the forest creatures. Well unless they are from one of the lesser races like, say, elves.

EclecticTastes posted:

Philo Flatfrock

Philo shrugged his agreement. "I think I could use a drink about now, too. And don't worry, I won't need further training for a while, yet." As Philo walks with his new mentor towards the psychiatrist's tavern of choice, he relates the details of his predicament in full detail, before moving on to casual small talk. His many, many neuroses are painfully obvious to anyone with an ounce of mental health training, but they're the sort no medicine could cure, save the one they were both on their way to imbibe.
This appears to be acceptable to Walago and the nearest establishment is, according to the signage, the Psychiatry Canteen. The coat of arms above the door suggests it is the 'Cracked Nut' and a chalkboard advertises the jolly cocktail of a 'Squirrel Grip'. Inside it is surprisingly well lit and clean, certainly compared to the straw floored taverns typical of the lower city. Trade at the end of the working day is brisk and a booth someway into the rear is found with one spare bench. Looks like this isn't going to be a private conversation. Eventually a servitor finds their booth.

Walago

I'll have a pint of Ale thanks! Well that is a comprehensive schedule for therapy but alas I am off duty. What do you mean by 'for a while yet?' What do you actually do for a crust? Spell stuff ain't cheap and as much as I owe the Temple of Mosus I'm not exactly oozing coins from my armpits. Cheers!

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Philo Flatfrock

"Therapy? Oh, no, I just need training, but thanks. I'll have a mead." Philo remains blissfully unaware of various complexes as he turns to the server and places his order, slowly eliminating what remains in his purse. "Well, you see, the academy wasn't just where I was learning the deeper mysteries of the arcane, it was also where I worked. Now, I've been blacklisted by any mage affiliated with them, so rather than face unemployment, I've decided to try my luck out in the wilderness. You might get lucky, and I'll end up as lunch for some kobolds before I ever need your help mastering new levels of mystic power." He's joking, but there's a sort of resigned undertone to his voice, he's clearly not very confident about his chances out there. "In any case, adventuring can be pretty lucrative, so either I survive, and I'll have more than enough to pay for your help, or I don't, and then it's a moot point, since I won't need the help anymore."

(Maybe I'm not quite understanding, but my inference is that a mentor is necessary to level up as a Wizard, so that's where I'm talking from. Let me know if I'm completely misreading the situation, though I can roll with that, I've watched more than enough Curb Your Enthusiasm to adapt to totally misunderstanding what's happening.)

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Crutiln

Ah there you are

Leaning down Crutiln scritches Moxie behind the ear, and quickly speaks a word and raises his forefinger to cast Talk With Feline.

Hello Moxie, hail Hassia. What can you tell me about the plains? I might find a nice fish for you.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Chartuin

The ranger approaches the strange stranger with minimal trepidation, waiting for a break in the conversation before interrupting.

"How do you do, m'lady?" he greets, sketching a vague sort of salute or hand wave in the air. "If you're talking to that tree then presumably you are a druid of note, I've known quite a few over the years but I don't believe we have met before. I am Chartuin, ranger and pathfinder, on my way to Cascade before hopefully making the jaunt to Norward to witness the Temple of Hassia. What comes after that, well I don't know really, but I'm sure I'll think of something."

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Storm

Kitty. That's a nice name!

She had been about to give her own name, but the newcomer interrupts Storm's introduction. Not having expected to see another person on foot, Storm is a little startled, but she remembers her manners in time. She turns to face Chartruin, who looks to be an elf of around her own age.

Oh, hello...Chartruin. My name's Storm. I am in fact a...well, I'm an aspiring Druid, but I'm not talking to the tree...I am talking to Kitty here, who was kind enough to pass the time with me while I wait for a cart to take me...well, wherever. I go where Minido sees fit to take me. Speaking of which, I have very much enjoyed speaking with you, Kitty. I wonder...

Storm springs to her feet and brushes some dust off her clothing. She digs a few more ingredients out of her pouch and begins to cast her Animal Friendship spell, focusing on her feelings of friendship towards Kitty.

LordNagash
Dec 29, 2012
Addek Thydain

On entering his 'room' onboard, Addek went through his now familiar routine: thoroughly searching the room for loose boards, hidden crannies and other convenient locations to stash anything he didn't want to carry around in case of a spot search by guards. Not that there'd be guards onboard, though.

Items secured Addek then wandered the ship seemingly aimlessly, getting a feel for the surroundings and where everything was. Couldn't hurt to know, if anything came up. He might also run into some of the other passengers, and get an idea of who else was onboard.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Skellybones posted:

Chartuin

The ranger approaches the strange stranger with minimal trepidation, waiting for a break in the conversation before interrupting.

"How do you do, m'lady?" he greets, sketching a vague sort of salute or hand wave in the air. "If you're talking to that tree then presumably you are a druid of note, I've known quite a few over the years but I don't believe we have met before. I am Chartuin, ranger and pathfinder, on my way to Cascade before hopefully making the jaunt to Norward to witness the Temple of Hassia. What comes after that, well I don't know really, but I'm sure I'll think of something."

Mithranderp posted:

Storm

Kitty. That's a nice name!

She had been about to give her own name, but the newcomer interrupts Storm's introduction. Not having expected to see another person on foot, Storm is a little startled, but she remembers her manners in time. She turns to face Chartruin, who looks to be an elf of around her own age.

Oh, hello...Chartruin. My name's Storm. I am in fact a...well, I'm an aspiring Druid, but I'm not talking to the tree...I am talking to Kitty here, who was kind enough to pass the time with me while I wait for a cart to take me...well, wherever. I go where Minido sees fit to take me. Speaking of which, I have very much enjoyed speaking with you, Kitty. I wonder...

Storm springs to her feet and brushes some dust off her clothing. She digs a few more ingredients out of her pouch and begins to cast her Animal Friendship spell, focusing on her feelings of friendship towards Kitty.
The forest cat is unconcerned by the sudden appearance of a well armed elf, but as Storm starts casting the spell it says:

You don't want to do that. Minido knows that we will never unwillingly serve while we might do so willingly. What use am I to you in any case? I'll catch you a fish or two if you like but I'm not likely to be anything but trouble where you are heading.

[OOC: You are pretty much at liberty to interpret time flow as you like. For instance Storm could have completed her interaction with 'Kitty' completely before acknowledging Chartruin. It is only in the case of violence or shared interaction that an intersection in time is made specific. Not that I have a problem with the existing encounter.]

LordNagash posted:

Addek Thydain

On entering his 'room' onboard, Addek went through his now familiar routine: thoroughly searching the room for loose boards, hidden crannies and other convenient locations to stash anything he didn't want to carry around in case of a spot search by guards. Not that there'd be guards onboard, though.

Items secured Addek then wandered the ship seemingly aimlessly, getting a feel for the surroundings and where everything was. Couldn't hurt to know, if anything came up. He might also run into some of the other passengers, and get an idea of who else was onboard.
The room contained no apparent existing concealed hiding places so Addek quickly improvised with the trim on the door frame. Outside his cabin was a corridor that had a total of five doors, two on each side and one of the 'aft' end. All of the four others were currently locked. Immediately past the end of the corridor was the base of one of the three masts and beyond it the aft companionway up to the top deck. Putting an ear to each of the doors in turn no occupants seemed to be around. This brought him to the realm of the crews quarters and, to a dwarf, although the lack of a solid stone floor and indeed roof was a niggling discomfort, the general dark and claustrophobic atmosphere was positively homely. Perhaps he could be allowed to sleep out here. Beyond this was the cargo hold. Access to the depths of the ship was by hatches in the deck amidships, except where masts were in the way but a narrow deck lead all the way forward to the bow companion way, this being the other route onto the main deck. It was hard to discern who the various occupants of the hammocks below deck were but, popping his head out, the crew remaining on the deck were as cosmopolitan a group of species as Addek had ever seen. Elves and Halflings were still a tremendous novelty and The Sheaf of Plenty had both in abundance.

Taking a closer survey of the few dwarves currently aboard the first that caught his attention was a female Cleric of Seydard (God of Minerals). He could tell by her holy symbol of a flaming anvil. Now that might be an interesting conversation.

LordNagash
Dec 29, 2012
Addek Thydain

Speaking of gods, I don't think I ever mentioned that I settled on worshipping Shvard myself. Also I'm just going to assume the correct form of address for the priestess would be 'Sister', if thats not correct then just gimme a heads up so I can edit it to whatever would be correct. I assume my character would know.

Addek walked over to the priestess of Seydard, as personable a smile as he could manage on his face.

Greetings, sister! Comfortin' to see someone of proper Dwarven society on board, what with so many strangers about. Never seen the like in all my days. What is it that brings yourself aboard, then?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Chartuin

"Oh, would you look at that, a cat. Hello Kitty."

A chance encounter with an awkward, confused druid and a big cat? Quite possibly auspicious. His 'quest' wasn't really time limited, he was sore and tired from walking and fighting, and frankly this Storm character looked like they needed someone to keep an eye on them. Had they been kicked out of a druid circle?

"You know what, I could use a short break from walking. If you'll have me I'll wait here with you for a bit, if a cart does come along then all the better. You might not have a plan, but if you're taking this track then you'll be heading to Bournebridge. And wandering about alone is quite risky for anyone, really, there could be a pack of wolves or gang of cultists behind every tree."

• Locked thread