Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Fear not Philo! Your journey is now six days without incident. No bird strikes (yet).

Round Three. Initiative! :rolldice: :parrot: win!

All five remaining birds attack with renewed vigour but the many spells sandbagging them mean only one hits for 1 HP damage.

The return action is swift and deadly with the mages taking out two between them and Chartuin contributing to the slaughter of the last four.

The roller has sustained a total of 50 HP of damage (5 structural) and until at least 24 points are repaired the roller is unable to move under sail. The crew set about doing what they can to rectify the damage but there is an air of panic about them now.

Livias

Keep a look out! We don't want any more trouble. If you aren't fixing the Long Haul then get to a look out or a post where you can protect those that are! Make haste!

The day drags on as the repairs seem to take forever. It is starting to come onto rain when one of the look outs scream.

RATS! Port fore quarter!

Perhaps attracted by the recently killed birds a large pack of rats is swarming out of the grass towards the carcasses and the crew repairing the running gear.

Whatcha doin'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Chartuin

Chops rats with sword unless anyone has a better idea.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Crutiln

I don't think I really have a spell that repels rats, sorry. I'm staying with the ballista.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
The rats do a little bit of injury to the crew fixing the running gear but with a bunch of mages all elbowing each other out of the way to unload Sleep spells and the whole crew on alert, it is something of a non event. The crew breath a collective sigh of relief as the the repairs are finished just as the rain stops and the last light of day fades from the sky. That could certainly have been worse.

Meanwhile back aboard the High Plains Roller all the drama going on elsewhere on day six is unknown. Days seven, eight and nine pass much as the six before them and it is expected to be in Norward no later than noon on day ten. A longer than average time for the passage but acceptable in the circumstances. While Philo is racking up zeds on night nine a cry goes up from the deck. Pretty much as soon as the alarm is raised it is all over. A large plains cat has pounced onto a sailor in the lower rigging and dragged them off the roller into the long grass. Nobody even mentions stopping, at midnight, this close to safety.

The High Plains Roller makes Norward at around 10 am on day ten and beats the Long Haul by nearly seven hours. Making initial enquires with the shipping agents looking for the first deal on a fresh shipment Philo is offered a straight 1000 gold for his mistletoe. Now where did you all arrange to meet again?

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
Anna

Anna decides that the alley next to the pub will be the quickest option they have for a modicum of privacy. She asks the two clerics to block the entrance while she talks with the captives.

So what do you four have to say for yourselves? Why were you shaking down Jart?

[OOC] Sorry for the slow replies, it has been a hectic couple of weeks. Also Cartoon, I would like to get your opinion on what is considered chaos Vs good. For instance is lying chaotic or evil? Can a chaotic character seek justice and what would that look like? Mob justice?

[Edited out stuff that didn't happen]

Freudian Slip fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 21, 2016

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
It is rapidly becoming apparent that Jart has made herself very scarce indeed. The 'four' defer to a short thickset redheaded old woman whose current state of 'dress' is doing her no favours.

Us shaking down Jart? You really have that the wrong way up. Jart was making a play for the running of this district in the protection racket sense and must have tricked you fools into helping her. We are just a bunch of civic minded citizens who will not allow the hand of tyranny to once again grip the proud guild of bakers. Whether that be at the hands of the law or the unlawful.

What exactly gives you the right to take matters into your own hands anyway?

Anna is entirely convinced that this woman is telling her the real truth of the matter. Presuming that al fresco hairdressing will now not be in order but await your instructions.

[OOC: Those are pretty deep questions and I would caution about anyone giving glib answers. Answered here - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3771195&pagenumber=1#post461139795]

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Chartuin

Not having the faintest clue of Norward life, Chartuin is torn between hanging around with his new acquaintances and just wandering off into the city to look for the Temple of Hassia. Not that he's eager to get away from them but he's been trapped on a boat for over a week and he's so close to the goal he can almost taste it.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Philo Flatfrock

Floored by the sight of more money than he'd ever had at one time before, Philo immediately accepted the initial offer, not quite interested enough in the life of a merchant to attempt extended haggling. Besides, he had places to be and commitments to keep. He looked around for the Long Haul's berth, not knowing that it's called a "berth", and would rush to greet the first of his new sort-of friends that he saw, prepared to give them a guided tour of the city. The death of the sailor the previous night weighed somewhat on him, but he tried to force it from his mind, lest it dampen his good mood. He also makes a mental note to pay a visit to his new sort-of mentor to share the spoils. Just as soon as he has about sixteen hours free, to take time spent in the waiting room into account.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Anna

Anna pinches the bridge of her nose a swears loudly.

This doesn't make any sense! We checked with the guild and they said that Jart is a member of good standing.

If Jart was the one starting a protection racket, why were you the ones asking us for money? We paid at the guild gate for entry to the district so what gave you the right to demand payment?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
The twisting stack of assumptions required to come to where Anna is currently bewilders the old woman for a while, then she adopts a speaking to children tone.

The Spongecakes aren't exactly bleeding edge when it comes to knowing what's going on around here. Which, it must be said, has its compensations. So it is of no surprise that a properly invested guild member is considered in good standing despite the bullshit they have been getting up to. Now when it comes to racketeers I say fight fire with fire. We collect what we can from Jart and use it to pay back the folks she's been squeezing. I figured if there was no profit in it for her she'd stop soon enough. Then you show up. Well that certainly upped the stakes. Now I wouldn't want to go up against a drum court of the People's Militia over all this but I did what I thought was best. You can see from the reaction you got from the crowd who the good guys are here. Now if you'd be so kind as to give us back our clothes we'll pretend none of this ever happened and go on with our lives hopefully now in peace without Jart getting in the way.

-/-

Philo can visit his mentor at some point and (with some good fortune may be denied the long wait that he had previously). Of more interest is what the general gaggle think should be on the tour itinerary.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Chartuin

While glad to see that Philo made it through the voyage with only minimal death and destruction, Chartuin just wants to go to the Temple of Hassia, presumably with Crutlin, as soon as possible. If that means harassing nearby humans for directions until the location is revealed, or wandering around the city aimlessly, so be it.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Crutiln

Crutiln agrees with Chartuin's plan and as furry feet scuttle behind them, they accost nearby denizens for the Temple's location.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Chartuin

To Philo: "We really must be off, you know, holy quest and all that. Shall we meet tomorrow at err, that tavern over there? It looks nice. Tally ho, Crutlin!"

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Philo Flatfrock

Calling after them, Philo says, "Hold on, there, I can take you to the temple district if you need it, I've certainly lived here long enough to know my way around. I could do with a visit to the temple of Mosus, myself. Hassia, right? I'm pretty sure I know where it is, given all the attention it's gotten recently." He turns to the others that find themselves in this loose orbit of adventurers. "I hope you don't mind the 'grand tour' starting out with a trip to the temples."

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Chartuin

"Oh... That's nice of you. Very well then, lead on."

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

I tried to convey this with a topo map before(see below) but maybe this will help envision Norward.

If you already have a good idea of Norward feel free to skip this bit.

The city of Norward is by any standard enormous. It is higher than it is deep and only wider at the bottom. The two deep valleys to either side make up the entire rural economy of the city and make food imports a thriving business. The social strata follow the contours of the land with the God King (of Lorgist) at the summit and the lowly peasant at the bottom. All the districts are able to be secured from one another in some form and most guilds charge money to gain entry to their district. The natural barriers to going upwards enhance the social ones and the higher status areas are separated from the riff raff by gated stairs. When these access points are closed gaining entry to the upper levels becomes impossible to the non-climber and by day attempts at avoidance would be easily spotted and probably met with lethal force.

The rough layout is obvious from any approaching ship but even once docked the sheer scale takes some time to sink in. Once on the dock the focus shifts and although some of the upper city remains in view the sights closer to the viewer clamour for attention. At this point any easy survey of a route to another part of the sprawling city becomes lost, as do many newcomers. Blind alleys and dead ends are something of a theme completely as a result of the way the city has been laid out with the philosophy of isolated districts. New pilgrims definitely require a guide as the local inhabitants are notoriously brusque especially if the querent is a Dwarf, an Elf or a Halfling. This makes the simple expedient of asking passers by less than efficient. In Norward to not know one's way around is to label oneself as an idiot. That is not to say that there isn't a strongly racist flavour to all of this.

Our fresh off the boat(and in our memories) Woodelves and Hobbit will already have encountered a few scowls of distaste and possibly heard some murmurs of 'Go back where ye came from!'. Fortunately none are Dwarves. Even though Dwarves have been common in Norward for hundreds of years and make up around 5% of the population, the racial hatred towards them is particularly strong. Elves and Hobbits are more of an unknown quantity and may even be treated as a novelty by some. With Dwarves it is more of a 'familiarity breeding contempt' kind of thing. In the previous 'troubles' the entire Dwarven community came within a hair of departing back for Hediguk even though a majority of them had been born in Norward. This bullshit from the ruling human junta has not been forgotten.

And so it is most fortunate that Philo is on hand to usher our tiny band of freaks to the temple district which is just below the palace and so nearly atop the spur of the confluence of the two valleys. Using his intimate and reasonably current knowledge of the city's byways Philo negotiates a circuitous route that avoids all of the guild taxes. A non-resident would be several silver lighter if they followed a less well considered path. The 'right' way to go changes both from time to time and with the changing hours of the day and days of the week. So much so that some natives endeavour to stay entirely within their guild district to avoid the issue. Nobles lead a similar life in the Uppercity but with even less incentive to go anywhere else.

As astonishing as the rest of the city and it's sights have been to date the temple district is something else. Jurundan natives have mixed reactions to seeing actual temples to Sorod(Pandemonium), Lubus(Desire) and Allee(Decay), All three of whom are forbidden faiths in Jurunda. And forbidden doesn't mean reluctantly tolerated, it means kill on sight. The temple to Hassia is less shocking and entry can soon be afforded by all who seek to do so. Designed partly as a nose thumbing to the temple of Lorgist it is shaped roughly like an inverted turnip with many big cats (and smaller ones) patrolling the grounds and interior. The veiled insults don't stop with mere vegetable imitations however as there are statues of the God's avatar (a woodelf) on display from all angles. Inside the symbol of Hassia is prominently displayed (When not obscured by a recumbent feline).

There are several candidates for intercourse (religious) apparent. The two most likely are both human women. One is young, tall and has aurburn hair and green eyes but looks a little stern while the other is older, shorter, has black hair and light brown eyes with a welcoming smile. Both wear the garb of the clerical order of Hassia.

Cartoon fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jun 25, 2016

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Chartuin

He gets in his obligatory oohing and aahing at the impressive urban sprawl both vertical and horizontal, but it's just a big pile of wood and stone, really. It'll go down all the same come a good earthquake or fire, presumably.

The evil temples are startling, given they're straight out of cautionary tales for children. Just sitting there, menacing passerbys with their... evilness. Doubtlessly full of unsavoury characters plotting evil schemes in between evil laughs and evil gestures. Norward evidently had problems.

Now the temple of Hassia, that's something worth being in awe of, probably. Strange architecture but there you go, probably a Norward thing. Ooh, aah. He ponders the meaning behind the avatar of a wood elf before approaching the younger, sterner-looking priest.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Younger Sterner Priestess

Greatings and welcome to the Temple of Hassia! We exist to serve all who value freedom and have the courage to defend it where ever it is threatened! I'm High Priestess Lonsoop how can we assist you!

See seems much friendlier when she speaks to Chartuin.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Chartuin

"Yes! I am Chartuin and I have traveled all the way from Jurunda to pledge myself to this temple, as I have seen that only Hassia represents the will and means to change the world for the better, regardless of the opinions of those in 'polite society'. So er yes I'd like to do something about that?'"

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Skellybones posted:

Chartuin

"Yes! I am Chartuin and I have travelled all the way from Jurunda to pledge myself to this temple, as I have seen that only Hassia represents the will and means to change the world for the better, regardless of the opinions of those in 'polite society'. So er yes I'd like to do something about that?'"
Lonsoop

Well met! As our most blessed Avatar and founder was a Woodelf, and a ranger, as I presume you are, this is most auspicious! We had expected the courageous of the faithful to be most typified in the ideal of our avatar and founder but it seems that Hassia in her wisdom has created her own brand of champion devoted to the elimination of Lycanthopy. This profound news has only just reached us as the first of that sect of the faithful not long ago sought our temple in the Ropemakers.

Your pledge is therefore doubly blessed. We will except the burden of all your unneeded coin and other goods and put them to sound use among the poor and downtrodden, a resource I fear we will never run short of! As the first Paladin of Hassia has gone to the Ropemakers I would augury that this is the path that you should also follow. If you have the need of the services of ministration from our temple in the interim simply ask that you may receive.

Her countenence resumes its more stern demeanour

A matter of idle curiosity. Most choose to speak with my colleague who has more of an appearance of fraternity. What made you seek me out?

-/-

[OOC: I have a Druid, a Cleric of this very faith and a gawking magic user present here too I believe. Meanwhile back in the Bakers the still stripped captives stare uneasily at the hand of vengeance that is Anna.]

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Cartoon posted:

Well met! As our most blessed Avatar and founder was a Woodelf, and a ranger, as I presume you are, this is most auspicious! We had expected the courageous of the faithful to be most typified in the ideal of our avatar and founder but it seems that Hassia in her wisdom has created her own brand of champion devoted to the elimination of Lycanthopy. This profound news has only just reached us as the first of that sect of the faithful not long ago sought our temple in the Ropemakers.

Your pledge is therefore doubly blessed. We will except the burden of all your unneeded coin and other goods and put them to sound use among the poor and downtrodden, a resource I fear we will never run short of! As the first Paladin of Hassia has gone to the Ropemakers I would augury that this is the path that you should also follow. If you have the need of the services of ministration from our temple in the interim simply ask that you may receive.

Chartuin was slightly relieved that this priesthood, or at least this priest, wasn't overly fond of circuitous or metaphor-laden speech. Staring dumbly while trying to decipher their intent was never a fun position to be in with an impatient cleric or druid who was trying to tell you something like "get out of the way" or "pay up".

"If I possessed any more than what I am currently wearing, I would certainly donate it to your cause. Should I come into a surprising windfall then I shall of course direct it your way. I'll be off to the Ropemaker's then, and err let you know if anything interesting happens? A paladin of Hassia, how about that."

Cartoon posted:

A matter of idle curiosity. Most choose to speak with my colleague who has more of an appearance of fraternity. What made you seek me out?

"Oh, I'm not sure really. Umm, perhaps your hair made you stand out slightly more?" he says desperately.

Chartuin hopes that this is not a test.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Crutiln

Bows low:

Hail, I am Crutiln, adept of Hassia. I have come to serve the soft-boiled one, at Your Graces will.

[OOC phone posting]

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Skellybones posted:

"Oh, I'm not sure really. Umm, perhaps your hair made you stand out slightly more?" he says desperately.

Chartuin hopes that this is not a test.
Lonsoop

You can deposit unwanted booty at any of our conveniently located branches. Are all woodelves this shallow or are you a special case?

I am assuming The Party™ stuck together enough that Crutlin is addressing the same priestess (He doesn't have to be).

ewe2 posted:

Crutiln

Bows low:

Hail, I am Crutiln, adept of Hassia. I have come to serve the soft-boiled one, at Your Graces will.
Lonsoop

My word! A halfling cleric of Hassia! Now I have seen, almost, everything! Welcome to the high temple, our facilities are yours! Do you seek instruction or direction? We can have this conversation in a more private setting if you would desire it.

A large black panther wanders over and rubs itself against Lonsoop (nearly knocking her over) it looks at Crutlin and snarls nastily.

[OOC: ":soft-boiled one"?]

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Chartuin

"Um I don't know I'll be going now thanks"

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Crutiln

Strongly aware that all feline company has vanished at the panther's appearance:

I came to request a task by which I may prove my worthiness to advance in Hassia's service and thus be able to establish a template among my own people. I know not of my companions desires.

Err, what's the kitty's name? .

[OOC soft-footed autocorrected]

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jun 29, 2016

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Lonsoop takes some time to cast a bunch of spells.

Well it would seem that on balance you would do best to advise the new Paladin of Hassia. We aren't much on giving orders. If you can't come to what the right thing to do is, without having your hand held, then you really shouldn't be a cleric of Hassia. Which is not to say that from time to time a service may not be required of you, but on the whole, make your own fun.

This kitty? Hmm seems new. They keep showing up from who knows where? You'd have thought getting a 300 pound cat into a guarded compound at the top of an urban mountain would be a highly unusual event and yet here we are. If you require anything to help you in your path just ask.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Crutiln

In that case, a spare kitty wouldn't go astray. Can they be ridden? Come, Paladin, we shall seek out Her enemies and smite them for Her glory!

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Lonsoop

You are free to take any cat that will follow you.

The Panther ceases it growling turns its back and starts grooming itself.

The Paladin you seek was last seen in the Ropemakers so I'd start looking there.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Anna

She knows that this older woman is telling the truth but her tone still rankles her. While Anna speaks she unties the captives and hands back their armour.

I don't know if you should be taking that tone with me considering you assumed that we were part of Jart's crew here to shake down more people. You are all lucky to be alive.

Anna remembers that the woman was only trying to help and tries to smooth things over.

I understand your frustration with the authorities, as you heard my little speech. Too often they let us down. I am Anna, a paladin of Hassia. I believe that we should help each other out, not because of some law but because its the right thing to do. Followers of Hassia don't seek to rule, only to fight evil and do good.

That sounded better in my head

I would be happy to help deal with Jart if you would like the help. The bakers already contribute so much to the soup kitchens around the city, helping with Jart would only be repaying a favour.

That said, if you would like to deal with her on your own, I respect that as well. If that is your choice I wish you luck.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Old women

I think Jart won't be back. I'm sorry we had to butt heads over this but I can see you were tricked. The thieves guild isn't usually keen on these sort of shake downs but since the troubles it's been much less well controlled. Well they say 'may you live in interesting times' is a curse. Any time you want to do 'business in the Bakers ask for Sanra. Everyone knows me and knows I'm on the level.

Her 'gang' start putting their clothes and armour back on.

Lazari

Does that mean it's time to start looking for my spell book thief?

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Anna
Pleasure to meet you Sanra. If you ever need help, I can be found in the ropemkers district

-/-

Yes, looking for your spellbook is next. So what do you know about the theft?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Chartuin whispers to Philo, "Could you show us where the Ropemaker's is?"

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Philo Flatfrock

Standing a polite distance away, Philo nods to Chartuin. "Yes, my father runs his own business, so I know where a number of craftsman live, like the ropemaker, the cooper, and others. I'll take you there once you're finished with your business here."

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Freudian Slip posted:

Anna
Pleasure to meet you Sanra. If you ever need help, I can be found in the ropemkers district

-/-

Yes, looking for your spellbook is next. So what do you know about the theft?
Sanra seems relieved the ordeal is over and bids Anna adieu.

Lazari begins her narrative with a very stern expression indeed.

I was violated! They broke into my home in the Armourer's district and went through all my stuff! It was only the spell book they took so they must have known who I was and where I live. That's creepy poo poo right there. Now spell books are incredibly valuable but so are a bunch of other things and a spell book is valuable only to another mage so there is a limit to where they could dispose of it. Does any of that help?

-/-

[OOC: Going to wait a little longer to see if there is anyone else who wants to comment on/at the temple.]

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Crutiln

Steps up to the panther:

Hello kitty! What's your name? Are you bored? Do you want to go travelling with me and my Paladin friend here and smite the enemies of Hassia? You look like a big strong kitty who might enjoy that!

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Cartoon posted:

Lazari begins her narrative with a very stern expression indeed.

I was violated! They broke into my home in the Armourer's district and went through all my stuff! It was only the spell book they took so they must have known who I was and where I live. That's creepy poo poo right there. Now spell books are incredibly valuable but so are a bunch of other things and a spell book is valuable only to another mage so there is a limit to where they could dispose of it. Does any of that help?

Anna

Sorry if I ask some obvious questions, but I want to make sure we cover everything.

First, is there no way you or some other mage could scry for it's location?

Secondly, did you have other valuables in your house that they didn't steal? If so, that would suggest to me that it wasn't an opportunistic thief, but one that already had a buyer. Are there any obvious candidates that you know of that wanted your spell book?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

ewe2 posted:

Crutiln

Steps up to the panther:

Hello kitty! What's your name? Are you bored? Do you want to go travelling with me and my Paladin friend here and smite the enemies of Hassia? You look like a big strong kitty who might enjoy that!
(Assuming the speak with feline ability has been used)

Big Black Cat

Humans are always boring. I'll follow if you make it worth my while. And don't even think of riding me.

Sniffs the air suspiciously.

I'm not sure I like you much.

Freudian Slip posted:

Anna

Sorry if I ask some obvious questions, but I want to make sure we cover everything.

First, is there no way you or some other mage could scry for it's location?

Secondly, did you have other valuables in your house that they didn't steal? If so, that would suggest to me that it wasn't an opportunistic thief, but one that already had a buyer. Are there any obvious candidates that you know of that wanted your spell book?

Lazari looks thoughtful for a while.

A Locate Object spell only works if the object is quite close. The clerical sixth level spell Find the Path would probably work. Do you know someone who can cast it?

You think they already have a buyer? Well that's bad. It was certainly targeted. I keep pretty much to myself so I'm curious as to both why and how someone would target me. I mean there was that dreadful woman who confronted me about 'The Dark Arts' and insisted that I should follow Lubus but that was months ago and I didn't think much of it, or Lubus, for that matter.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Anna

I don't think any cleric of Hassia will be able to cast something that high for quite sometime.

Addressing the two clerics

How about you two? What would it take to get "Find the Path" cast?

-/-

Tell me more about this follower of Lubus

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Freudian Slip posted:

Anna

I don't think any cleric of Hassia will be able to cast something that high for quite sometime.

Addressing the two clerics

How about you two? What would it take to get "Find the Path" cast?

-/-

Tell me more about this follower of Lubus
Livias sort of gapes her mouth for a bit allowing Trilan to have the first words.

Well, err you would need a Cleric of at least eleventh level and around twenty thousand gold. The spell book is worth that much? That's assuming you could find one willing to cast the spell for someone...

Sizes Lazari up in uncomfortable detail.

Of the sort. I know it's a matter of the law and I want the miscreant, or miscreants, caught as much as the next man. Or, or woman. There is probably a better or indeed simpler way. For a fee, not even close to the twenty grand previously mentioned...

By now it is reasonably clear that he likes the sound of his own voice, passionately.

the thieves guild could be consulted. They could possibly arrange the return of the item for a fee proportionate to the replacement value. I have heard they are very reasonable in such matters and can even be grateful if the matter was not instigated by their own offices. Of course if you are ultimately wedded to this idea then I can make enquiries of my own church, yes I think that would probably be alright, we certainly have Clerics of sufficient level to grant the spell. There may be an application process, obviously. We can't just go around casting serious divination spells willy nilly.

To Lazari

It wouldn't hurt to say you are an occasional follower of Teheda just for the sake of it would it? You may come to view Her favourably and She in no way requires sole devotion. Worship as many Gods as you wish is our way. Middle path and all that. But I get ahead of myself. We would still need considerable coin even if I pleaded that it was a matter holy to Her good self, which I probably wouldn't, unless I could be thoroughly convinced of the sincerity of the cause. Hmm?

While he pauses for, breath? an answer? Lazari nods her head a little and interjects.

Err, well this odd woman stopped me in the street and said I looked like I was 'one with the art' and started to question me about what I might desire and how she could make it all come true through her special relationship with certain *nudge* *nudge* *wink* *wink* powers. I swear that's what she did/said. You can't make this stuff up. I though it was strange at the time but it wasn't until you prompted me that I made the connection. I tried very hard to get away but she was relentless and eventually as I turned my back and went quite entirely in a direction I did not intend she made some vow or oath about how I would rue the day I snubbed the 'Great One'. I mean she never came right out and said it but she had a tattoo of the holy symbol of Lubus[1] on her, erm, chest, well the side of her chest really, and there was far more of her exposed to the elements that I would have preferred. I would certainly recognise her if I ever saw her again. Although the prospect is not encouraging.

[1]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
So we find our party of ne're do wells still hanging out at the temple of Hassia in the upper city. The druid, Storm, is clearly out of breath after having been made to walk up all the steep winding streets and stairways to get here. The cleric of Hassia is negotiating custody rights with a large cat while the ranger and mage try and look inconspicuous. Soon, no doubt, they will head off for the lower city and the legendary "Ropemaker's" where it is almost inevitable that they will cross paths with the elusive Anna who seems dedicated to creating her own brand of Noir theatre in the poorer areas of Norward.

I wonder where everyone is going to sleep tonight?

• Locked thread