Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
OK I'll regroup and recap and (etc.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
Sorry, I was waiting for storm - will write a post now!

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Freudian Slip posted:

Sorry, I was waiting for storm - will write a post now!

I meant the Crutiln the cleric - since they are meant to guide Anna.

Looking forward to how they will respond to the fact that the paladin or Hassia is looking to make deals with the thieves guild

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
:cool:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
I think Crutlin may have other problems in the short term.

You are all due to go up a level in the immediate future. I've been delaying it until we got a little forward momentum. Fear not! I allow exp to accumulated and it may mean a fast transition between level one and three if we delay much longer.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
You have fun writing that contract?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Did you find the gags? I had it ready to go but didn't want to post it only to have it ignored IC.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

I was impressed with the amount of effort that went into that contract.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
In fairness the guy who supposedly put it together IC was a massive sperglord with a rules fetish a mile wide.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
New resource! Mage Bonuses by Diety.

Also added to first post in play thread.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Allee reminds me so much of Namira, though I guess beggers and disease go together really well regardless.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Namira?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

quote:

[OOC: I hope I'm not the only one who thinks it is entirely ironic that the first act of a party who has no rogue/thief is a theft. Entirely predictable and in the finest traditions of murder hoboism, but none the less.}

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, it could easily be murder or arson.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
"Why not have both?"

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Skellybones posted:

"It is also possible that our target may have their own familiar working as a sentry or messenger, so if we happen to notice a particular beast or bird in the area that may be it. If we don't notice one, then either it is safely inside, or well hidden and keeping an eye on us in turn. Not a truly comforting thought. If nothing else, we know we have three mages of undoubtedly superior courage and moral fibre compared to one who prefers to steal spellbooks. Honestly how does anyone tolerate that temple of Lubus if this is how they act?"
Growing_ironicat.gif

I will do an update today I meant to do it on Friday but.... Oh shiny!*

*May be WoT related.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Freudian Slip posted:

Anna

Inwardly sighs when Vinic gives their new "friend" all their real names. She is worried about what they will have to do when the charm wears off.

Upon hearing about lairs and jailers, Anna decides that she is in the "raid" school of thought.

I think that with help with our friend here that we could mount a successful raid taking them by surprise. Vinic can also ask him about all the horrible and evil things that the residents have done so that we can go in and do what we need to do with clear heads and hearts.
I waited a number of days before I let the NPC be a doffus.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

[OOC] Yeah, I know. Not having a go at you at all. I couldn't think of a half dozen made up fantasy names at the time. In any case it will make things interesting down the track [OOC]

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
I was only explaining. I didn't think anyone was 'having a go'.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Cool, all good then. Just wanted to make sure you didn't think I was talking exception to your NPC's choice :kiddo:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
The next post about Vinic's assault plan won't go up till after lunch tomorrow unless someone beats me to it....or diverts the narrative in a new and exciting direction.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
For 'dungeon crawls' I've always found it speeds game play if The Party™ has a Standard Operating Procedure(SOP) when confronted with an obstacle (ie a door). Normal parties would go something like this.

Snaffle Baffle listens at the door a while with everyone else quiet.
Snaffle Baffle checks for traps and locks. If the door is trapped they try to untrap it. If the door is locked they try to unlock it.
If they succeed and there is no missed trap or other mishap then:
Gronk steps up to the door while
Feather Flight covers the opening
B'andaid Despenser prepares for some healing work
Glass Cannon readies a spell from a safe distance.
Snaffle Baffle watches the flanks and rear.
Finally Gronk opens the door.

If the door is locked and Snaffle Baffle fails to unlock it then:
As above except Gronk smashes the door down.

Obviously there will be situations where this is clearly not applicable and /or circumstances cause a disruption in the SOP. That just causes a return to more directly player driven interaction. For simple doors with nothing dangerous on the other side (and if when there is) it saves a bunch of pointless busy work while protecting the players from stupid gotchas! Not that I tend towards doing stupid gotchas! Consider it insurance against easy pay back from a vengeful God(s).

In our play by post mode such procedures are especially effective.

Just while I'm typing. Storm's player hasn't made an appearance in a long while so I'm going to write her out after this next scene. Not dead (with any luck) but not wishing to continue with (Have we got a name yet?) the Wood Elf movement. As you have a Cleric this shouldn't be too big a loss. Anyone got any mates that might like to play? We kind of need a thief. Having said that it will be a nice change of pace for the DM NPC in the party to be a Thief and not a Cleric! A Thief in this setting at this point in time is a very interesting proposition so I think it would be good for someone to have a player character. None the less perhaps an NPC played 'out in the open' by posts as if they were a PC might be interesting. As ever open to input.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Anna can be Gronk in the door opening SOP

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Oh noz! Looks like the NPCs are at it again!

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Are you still mad about me not talking to everyone on the boat?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Skellybones posted:

Are you still mad about me not talking to everyone on the boat?
I'm more amused than mad but I certainly haven't forgotten. That was however only the most egregious example of a common trend in the last party.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Well they were an antisocial loner who was afraid of other elves and detested everyone else.

What does Chartuin know of the cult of Lubus? I imagine anything much beyond "Kill them on sight" is proscribed knowledge in Jurunda.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
It is hard to characterise something as clearly "KIll on sight" without going into at least some detail. Lubus(CE) is diametrically opposed in the pantheon by the Elvish God of Wealth and Commerce, Ackraya(LG). There is a long and storied history of Ackraya thwarting Lubus' plans for fulfilling her many insatiable desires. The morality plays out as; being devoted to Lubus means you seriously lack self control and therefore the ability to function in elvish society. Lubus is reputed to be responsible for the split between Wood Grey and High Elves and it is only through the positive power of commerce that the main Elven factions (Who have serious problems with each other) have returned to some kind of stability.

Lubus has responded by luring any who would even countenance that satisfying desires is part of a being's inherent nature. The lure of the forbidden and hidden desire is yet another selling point for the 'weak' among the Elven community. Simple arithmetic would suggest that, should a census be held, about 5% of elves must be worshipping Lubus. That means about one in four families have a hidden secret that could destroy both the family as a unit and possibly take someone associated out of a powerful position, despite them having done nothing wrong personally. Lubus thrives on this.

The cult of Lubus all work together in secret to bring about their membership's desires. A darkened Illuminati with serious reach and hidden power. Your Cousin might be one. Who knows :shrug: :tinfoil:

The holy symbol is well known:

and anybody with any association with elephants is immediately suspect. The activities of their rituals are commonly mocked and misrepresented, appearing in many a strolling player's repertoire as the most malign and hideous caricature of evil. Bards in singing the praises of Ackraya draw on a rich tradition of hating on Lubus. Lubus is the big bad bogey woman used to scare Elven children into eating their greens, arguable a prime source of her power and a fertile ground for recruitment.

As a noble who might be called upon to adjudicate in a Lubus trial Chartuin has been given a decent knowledge of the actual nature of the cult and what the more obvious signs of a practitioner may be. Lubus is/was fascinating enough that it seems Chartuin was actually paying attention during these instructions.

tl;dr Uptight Elves make secret naughty cult flourish out of the light of day.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I'm getting the impression that a certain antisocial elf may have survived as long because her family didn't want to ruin themselves by turning her in.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
What poo poo has Loni gotten herself into this time

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
All of it. Possibly more if 'Master' survives.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Remind me who Loni is?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
If I remember right she was captured while poaching by the Social Justice Warriors along with her group, who were returned to Norward where they were promptly banished. Then months later her group attacked the Social Justice Warriors and everyone except her got killed and she got a job at Fort Kickass.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Ahhh - thanks!

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
She had a good job running the hunting operation, wonder why she's working as a door opener for a B-grade villain.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Loni might be a common name in a city of over a million.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I prefer to think that some people are just fated to be repeatedly attacked and captured by random adventuring parties no matter their vocation.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Okay so they heard Anna clattering down the steps, did a combat roll out of bed while grabbing their spellbook and either bolted through a secret passage or turned invisible.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Yeah she has either gone invisible or has ducked out a secret passage

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Whoops look at me all unable to read and everything. Guess I was really asleep at the wheel with that post. :buddy:

And yeah, this hasn't really been much of a confidence-builder for poor ol' Philo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
He doesn't need to be too hard on himself. The party aren't probably going to do much better than him. If you like try and guess the over powered AD&D1e item that 'Master' is using. Hint - Alan's nose wouldn't have helped.

• Locked thread