Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

rdsarna posted:

I agree that the story is good but will you remember it fondly in an year or so? I mean will it have a lasting effect on you? For me, it was like a fun ride but way too easily forgettable.

Someone didn't get all the quantum ripples
:classiclol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rdsarna
Feb 13, 2016

Sorry, I'm NOT Funny! :airquote:
My "serious" Channel

theultimo posted:

Someone didn't get all the quantum ripples
:classiclol:

Wow, I got a few. Do they actually make that big a difference?? I got that dino board one and a couple others. Didn't seem to affect the story in any meaningful way.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

rdsarna posted:

Wow, I got a few. Do they actually make that big a difference?? I got that dino board one and a couple others. Didn't seem to affect the story in any meaningful way.

No not really

The story is basically sphere

With a dose of batman vs superman

Generic dribble

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

theultimo posted:

And man junction 3 can change the game considerably

Choose wisely

Someone should tell Jeff Gerstman!

bear is driving! posted:

So I finished the game last night, and the story is pretty nutso, but good. A lot of it might be hard to follow with so many timelines going on.

I managed to choose all of the junctions that the majority of players chose. I'm debating going back through and choosing the others for achievements and to see how the show plays out.

If you have any story questions, go ahead and ask.

So, there are... 5! ways, plus whatever (probably) negligible effect the 8 quantum ripple items have, to arrive at the ending?

Is the ending definite? Does it wrap everything up nicely? Would a certain path to the ending make more sense?

rdsarna
Feb 13, 2016

My "serious" Channel

theultimo posted:

No not really

The story is basically sphere

With a dose of batman vs superman

Generic dribble

Aah alright. I was worried there for a second, that I missed something crucial.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Is the ending definite? Does it wrap everything up nicely? Would a certain path to the ending make more sense?

I finished it just now and the game has no ending and it's basically a cliffhanger for sequels. They even trick you into thinking there's a choice during the last few seconds only for it to cut to black and kick you to the main menu.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

So, there are... 5! ways, plus whatever (probably) negligible effect the 8 quantum ripple items have, to arrive at the ending?

No

Each ending is a cliffhanger

Certain path? Depends on how you feel
I went hardline for instance because serene would never do pr for example

rdsarna
Feb 13, 2016

My "serious" Channel

There are 4 binary decisions that alter the course of the story.

Yes the ending is definite. There are 2 ways to reach it but you end up at the same point. I'm playing through the game again choosing everything I didn't the first time.
Wrapping up nicely is subjective. It doesn't, for me. But there are a few revelations towards the end that are really cool and a little mind boggling.

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!
This sounds like it graduates from the Heavy Rain college of awesome $20 games three months later so I guess I'm excited for that.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

rdsarna posted:

Reaction after game ended and returned me to the main menu -

"Huh? Is that it? Was that the end?"

Why do developers feel they have to end every game with a cliffhanger? It's the Marvel post-credits syndrome.

This isn't new with Remedy, their last big game ended with you shooting a flare gun into a hurricane and then waking up in a cabin with zero resolution. Roll credits.

Maybe Quantum Break will also have their planned multimedia franchise fizzle out with a single downloadable sequel that wraps up everything in a 30 second FMV before the end credits.

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog
As there even been talks for a Alan Wake 2 sequel that actually explains anything.

Also a shame that this game ended up this way, I like Remedy quite a lot but this trend of doing cliffhangers needs to stop.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

quote:

I like Remedy quite a lot but this trend of doing cliffhangers needs to stop.

Some months ago Sam Lake (guy who wrote Max Payne 1/2, AW and its expansion, QB) said that when he wrote Max Payne he wrapped up everything with the first game and later had issues when the publisher wanted them to develop a sequel. I'd assume all their games having underwhelming endings since then stems from that. Have to leave things cryptic and underdeveloped to make writing future instalments easier.

rdsarna
Feb 13, 2016

My "serious" Channel

Guy Mann posted:

This isn't new with Remedy, their last big game ended with you shooting a flare gun into a hurricane and then waking up in a cabin with zero resolution. Roll credits.

Maybe Quantum Break will also have their planned multimedia franchise fizzle out with a single downloadable sequel that wraps up everything in a 30 second FMV before the end credits.

Do you think this game will get any DLC? Not sure how well it sold and there haven't been any plans announced for DLC. Rare for a game to get DLC nowadays without a pre-release announcement.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

rdsarna posted:

Do you think this game will get any DLC? Not sure how well it sold and there haven't been any plans announced for DLC. Rare for a game to get DLC nowadays without a pre-release announcement.

When Alan Wake was released on Xbox 360 they had already written and announced the DLC add-ons and you even got a free download code for the first one bundled in with new copies so I have the feeling that if DLC was in the works we would have heard about it.

Hearing about the terrible PC port is really depressing because if nothing else Alan Wake had a fantastic port: not only did it run really well and get good support but they even unlocked some developer stuff so you could do things like freely control the camera to explore out of bounds. Then again the PC port came out two years after the console release while this port was a last-minute rushjob by all accounts on top of being tied to the Windows 10 proprietary marketplace.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Quantum break sux

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Nierbo posted:

Quantum break sux

The game, no.

The poo poo with the game, hell yes

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

The only major difference that the junctions make that I have seen so far is wether you fight human Serene or shifter Serene as the end boss.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

bear is driving! posted:

The only major difference that the junctions make that I have seen so far is wether you fight human Serene or shifter Serene as the end boss.

i fought human serene

Hardline junction changes responses, hatch (shifter) or the doctor is the biggest difference

rdsarna
Feb 13, 2016

My "serious" Channel
I did a formal video review of the game :D

Do let me know what you think of the review itself and if you disagreed on some or all the points.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC9hQW9c9Iw

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
The person in charge of placing checkpoints needs to be put up against a wall and shot.

Edit- it's probably the same lazy retard that designed the final boss fight

Yoshimo fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 11, 2016

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
That last boss fight was pretty easy once I realized the gimmick. Shoot the minions while kiting them in a circle if you didn't get most of them when they run in, run away from Paul's attack, shoot him when he tires.

Before I got the pattern down, I died like five times because I was too aggressive in a third person cover based shooter. That you're supposed to use all your timey-wimey powers at all times in, but still. Gotta use cover every so often while the cooldowns recharge.

Now, the story? Let me explain/spoil it for people.

Jack and Will stop the Fracture, but not the End Of Time. The stutters are cured. Monarch still thinks Will is dead. However, there are problems, which is why Jack is chatting with Monarch.

Hatch, who is a shifter, was "killed" by Liam. But since shifters are all Schrödinger's Cat, killing one version of him isn't anywhere near enough to stop him. Paul's Chronon Syndrome is the early stages of becoming a shifter.

Jack has Chronon Syndrome, as well. Paul had 17 years, albeit with treatment, before he succumbed. Jack gets a Junction Point vision at the very end. He also says he's going to come back for Beth.

The reason Jack can (potentially) come back for Beth is that Beth, Paul, and Jack were all exposed to massive amounts of Chronon particles, Beth especially, when she closed the CFR.

This may be a horrible idea. Hatch exists from outside of time, and wants the End to happen, to build something new after it. Grabbing Beth's other quantum versions might be the thing that brings about the End, or it could be something else entirely.

It's a solid story with obvious sequel hooks. Remedy obviously has an internal motto of leaving people wanting more. I'd look forward to a sequel if one were announced.

Quantum Break operates on Terminator closed-loop rules, the difference being that there are smart people involved who know the futility of changing the past.

Alternatively, one could say it operates on Bill & Ted rules. Most non, non non, non non heinous!

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog
Did they finish up Alan Wake's story with American Nightmare or is that another game they're never finishing up.

Been watching videos of Quantum Break and I got to say though there are long segments where nothing interesting happens, this game has some amazing gameplay when it gets going.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Nothing was wrapped up in American Nightmare, IIRC. More of the status quo of Wake trying to get home.

They hint that Wake is still a thing, but who knows.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'll be extremely surprised if Remedy is still around in a year's time.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Watched a youtube of the opening walking around a campus, looked really good. Would love to throw some money at them if it was on steam.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

I'll be extremely surprised if Remedy is still around in a year's time.

Did a fortune teller predict them getting wiped out by a meteor or something? Remedy have been a successful video game developer for two decades, they have a long and healthy relationship with Microsoft, and Quantum Break is the best selling new IP on Xbox One yet. They're not going anywhere.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

the black husserl posted:

Did a fortune teller predict them getting wiped out by a meteor or something? Remedy have been a successful video game developer for two decades, they have a long and healthy relationship with Microsoft, and Quantum Break is the best selling new IP on Xbox One yet. They're not going anywhere.

And yet going by their metric Lococycle sold more

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
That was years ago. Live in the now.

TIME JOKE

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

the black husserl posted:

They have not been successful by any modern metric since Max Payne 2.

It's also only the best selling new IP because every other one was a massive flop.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Genuinely surprised with the lack of discussion for this game. I suppose the fact that no goons bought Xbox ones and the PC version is practically on fire might have something to do with it.

I loved this game, despite its very clear flaws. First game in a long time where I've Bren invested in the story, listened to all the audio-logs and traced down all the side content I could find.

Can't say I disagree with most of the criticism though. The combat is very disappointing - I would have preferred they just kept the Max Payne bullet time system. Throughout the game I was never sure whether I should be using the powers, keeping cover or just shooting people. It seemed the only useful power was the slow down time and shield, which is all I ever used.

It felt like the game wanted to punish you for doing my favourite part of the combat, the slow mo takedowns, which never worked as reliably or as smoothly as I wished. It's 2016 and we're far enough away from the Matrix that slow mo is cool again and this time we actually have a story reason to be doing it!

I'm a sucker for time travel stories, so I got hooked right into the story. Managed to predict some of it, but had a few sharp turns and I always dig time travel with closed loop timelines.

The TV show was such a weird concept, as if the 90s FMV phase never ended, and I loved every minute of it. I certainly don't see us getting another game quite like it for a long time.

rdsarna
Feb 13, 2016

My "serious" Channel

Isometric Bacon posted:

Genuinely surprised with the lack of discussion for this game. I suppose the fact that no goons bought Xbox ones and the PC version is practically on fire might have something to do with it.

I loved this game, despite its very clear flaws. First game in a long time where I've Bren invested in the story, listened to all the audio-logs and traced down all the side content I could find.

Can't say I disagree with most of the criticism though. The combat is very disappointing - I would have preferred they just kept the Max Payne bullet time system. Throughout the game I was never sure whether I should be using the powers, keeping cover or just shooting people. It seemed the only useful power was the slow down time and shield, which is all I ever used.

It felt like the game wanted to punish you for doing my favourite part of the combat, the slow mo takedowns, which never worked as reliably or as smoothly as I wished. It's 2016 and we're far enough away from the Matrix that slow mo is cool again and this time we actually have a story reason to be doing it!

I'm a sucker for time travel stories, so I got hooked right into the story. Managed to predict some of it, but had a few sharp turns and I always dig time travel with closed loop timelines.

The TV show was such a weird concept, as if the 90s FMV phase never ended, and I loved every minute of it. I certainly don't see us getting another game quite like it for a long time.

It's sad that we might not get a similar game because with some refinement, this game could be getting 9's everywhere. If the combat was more fun and the powers flowed into one another more smoothly, this game could have been something special. But alas! Hopefully Remedy gets a second shot at something similar and works on the weak points.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Isometric Bacon posted:

Not that I trust Telltale to do it, but I'd like to see an episodic game do this sort of thing. Might be neat making chapter releases into "big events".

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
So, ending discussion! there are logs that seem to indicate that Martin Hatch was a 'shifter', lost in time due to being exposed to a naturally occurring time machine, presumably being several of his own realities existing at once. When the fracture occurred and the end of time, he managed to harness these realities and become whole. Presumably he then appeared in 1999 or went back there with Paul and Beth from the future.

But I'm having trouble placing his motivations for making the world 'his own way' or whatever his end game was. Also with the fact that it could be done at all - Everything up to the end indicated time was a closed loop, and couldn't be changed.

We are told and explained that they can't change anything in the past - it's already happened. But they can change the future, hence the whole last mission. But the future has happened, Beth and Paul were there.

Did Beth and Paul actually go to the end of time? The game itself seemed to move it from 2022 or whenever to 2016. I'd like to think they just went to the time at the end of the game when time was almost completely frozen, saw Monarchs plans for 2022 and presumed that was the end of time, thus creating a causal loop. Unfortunately this probably doesn't check out, as I assume Paul and Beth must have been there for a long time if they were to find and repair Wills original Time Machine.

Perhaps there's just multiple realities where each character choice plays out differently like the ones you make with Pauls premonitions, and since Martin was a shifter he could make one play out based on the multiple realities he's seen?

So yeah, fun game. I suppose it's left ambiguous because of 'franchise opportunities' but unfortunately I don't like our chances of getting another one of these. :(

Isometric Bacon fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 20, 2016

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Isometric Bacon posted:

So, ending discussion! there are logs that seem to indicate that Martin Hatch was a 'shifter', lost in time due to being exposed to a naturally occurring time machine, presumably being several of his own realities existing at once. When the fracture occurred and the end of time, he managed to harness these realities and become whole. Presumably he then appeared in 1999 or went back there with Paul and Beth from the future.

But I'm having trouble placing his motivations for making the world 'his own way' or whatever his end game was. Also with the fact that it could be done at all - Everything up to the end indicated time was a closed loop, and couldn't be changed.

We are told and explained that they can't change anything in the past - it's already happened. But they can change the future, hence the whole last mission. But the future has happened, Beth and Paul were there.

Did Beth and Paul actually go to the end of time? The game itself seemed to move it from 2022 or whenever to 2016. I'd like to think they just went to the time at the end of the game when time was almost completely frozen, saw Monarchs plans for 2022 and presumed that was the end of time, thus creating a causal loop. Unfortunately this probably doesn't check out, as I assume Paul and Beth must have been there for a long time if they were to find and repair Wills original Time Machine.

Perhaps there's just multiple realities where each character choice plays out differently like the ones you make with Pauls premonitions, and since Martin was a shifter he could make one play out based on the multiple realities he's seen?

So yeah, fun game. I suppose it's left ambiguous because of 'franchise opportunities' but unfortunately I don't like our chances of getting another one of these. :(

I bought and enjoyed this game. Finals are coming up so I haven't had much time to game after beating this game.

Most of the Bone Goons were chased off/just don't engage becasue off the sharktank thread, which is now titled simply "xbox." There's a group of 6-10 posters who troll the poo poo out of that and the other Xbox thread, "Can we make it more like the 360?"

They're constantly juuuuust on this side of getting the mods to take notice. Say the Xbox is actually pretty good? Get a red title.

Anyway, on to this game.

Hatch is definitely a shifter. I don't know what TV episode mix you got, but in mine Liam stabbed and killed him when he tried to mess with the Countermeasure. And then, at the end, Hatch is fine and Iceman has to make the choice wether to work with him or not, Littlefinger-style.

So:

1. A shifter like Hatch can temporarily focus on one quantum state (one version of him was killed by Liam, but another version that wasn't is still running Monarch. Hatch has some kind of plan to bring about the End of Time.

2. Iceman, Littlefinger, and Beth were all dosed with a huge amount of Chronon particles in the Ground Zero event. Too much exposure gives you Time Cancer, as Littlefinger, Iceman, and, probably, Beth. When you have Time Cancer, you get powers and, eventually, become a shifter.

3: One version of Beth died at Ground Zero. But there are other quantum versions of her that didn't, and if she can learn or Iceman can trigger what Hatch does, it's a way to get her back.

Also, Iceman and Merry stopped The Fracture and all the stutters, NOT the End of Time. The EoT being caused by The Fracture is all conjecture, because nobody actually knows what caused it. Littlefinger made an educated guess.

The story loop is closed, but there is more to the overarching plot that needs to be addressed if there's a sequel.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

I bought and enjoyed this game. Finals are coming up so I haven't had much time to game after beating this game.

Most of the Bone Goons were chased off/just don't engage becasue off the sharktank thread, which is now titled simply "xbox." There's a group of 6-10 posters who troll the poo poo out of that and the other Xbox thread, "Can we make it more like the 360?"

They're constantly juuuuust on this side of getting the mods to take notice. Say the Xbox is actually pretty good? Get a red title.

Anyway, on to this game.

Hatch is definitely a shifter. I don't know what TV episode mix you got, but in mine Liam stabbed and killed him when he tried to mess with the Countermeasure. And then, at the end, Hatch is fine and Iceman has to make the choice wether to work with him or not, Littlefinger-style.

So:

1. A shifter like Hatch can temporarily focus on one quantum state (one version of him was killed by Liam, but another version that wasn't is still running Monarch. Hatch has some kind of plan to bring about the End of Time.

2. Iceman, Littlefinger, and Beth were all dosed with a huge amount of Chronon particles in the Ground Zero event. Too much exposure gives you Time Cancer, as Littlefinger, Iceman, and, probably, Beth. When you have Time Cancer, you get powers and, eventually, become a shifter.

3: One version of Beth died at Ground Zero. But there are other quantum versions of her that didn't, and if she can learn or Iceman can trigger what Hatch does, it's a way to get her back.

Also, Iceman and Merry stopped The Fracture and all the stutters, NOT the End of Time. The EoT being caused by The Fracture is all conjecture, because nobody actually knows what caused it. Littlefinger made an educated guess.

The story loop is closed, but there is more to the overarching plot that needs to be addressed if there's a sequel.

Is because I finished it and the ending is poo poo

Not because I don't care, I just want another max Payne with remedy

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The dash-aiming would be cooler if it was dive-aiming that you could power up to slow/speed up more, yeah.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

theultimo posted:

Not because I don't care, I just want another max Payne with remedy
I'd like them to at least focus at what they're good at. American Nightmare was a good start. They should keep doing more like that.

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
Yeah, Will saying that the future can be changed is all baseless. Whatever was going to happen was always going to happen. The countermeasure was always going to repair the fracture. The End of Time is still going to happen (as per Jack's brief vision of the dark corridors of the time machine at the end of the game).

So, in regards to the choices presented in the game, everyone is bound by the laws of time. If you accept that wholly, then the choices shouldn't even be possible. So, can shifters operate outside the time loop? I thought that the ending was just hopeless cliffhanger bullshit with Jack saying he'd come back and save Beth. The entire theme of the game was that nothing could be changed. But, with Jack experiencing symptoms of the chronon syndrome, maybe that's possible?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

L_Harrison posted:

Yeah, Will saying that the future can be changed is all baseless. Whatever was going to happen was always going to happen. The countermeasure was always going to repair the fracture. The End of Time is still going to happen (as per Jack's brief vision of the dark corridors of the time machine at the end of the game).

So, in regards to the choices presented in the game, everyone is bound by the laws of time. If you accept that wholly, then the choices shouldn't even be possible. So, can shifters operate outside the time loop? I thought that the ending was just hopeless cliffhanger bullshit with Jack saying he'd come back and save Beth. The entire theme of the game was that nothing could be changed. But, with Jack experiencing symptoms of the chronon syndrome, maybe that's possible?

Okay, look at it this way.

Time is a closed loop. But... Hatch exists both inside of, and outside of that loop. We see this because Liam stabbed the gently caress out of him and he's fine and somehow in control of Monarch at the very end.

Yes, Shifters do not have to play by the rules unless they want to.

Why would Hatch want to bring about/let the End of Time happen? Why subvert Monarch?

The End of Time is going to happen. But what happens after that? Hatch has an idea.

Hatch became a Shifter when he encountered a "natural" time machine... at some point in time. It could be in the future.
There's a confession note you can find which confirms this.

At both the Ground Zero event and the Fracture, everyone close was dosed with Time CancerChronons. PaulLittlefinger, JackIceman, WilliamMerry and Beth have all been exposed to excessive amounts.

Time CancerChronon Syndrome, which both Littlefinger and Iceman have, ends with deathbecoming a shifter.

Since Shifters are all basically Schrödinger's Cat. They exist in all states. Beth can be saved, if a Shifter goes to a reality where she didn't die, and comes back with her. Hatch has already done this, since Liam (in my game, anyway) killed him, and he seems fine.

Iceman is too stupid to know this, however.

Littlefinger became a full shifter there at the end, I think. He doesn't have the control Hatch seems to have. Shifters like Dr. Kim (and Littlefinger) only seem to exist when time has stopped, and fixing The Fracture stopped the Stutters, meaning we can't see Littlefinger anymore.

The places the sequel will go, if it is made, are pretty clear, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Hey, so is there fix for the input lag? I'm having major issues with my character walking around - sometimes he'll respond normally, then other times I'll let off the W key and my character will continue walking forward for several seconds. I can hit the Esc key mid-walk and wait two or more seconds before the menu screen pops up. This is ri-goddamn-diculous.

• Locked thread