Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

it's up on Amazon Prime right now, pops up on Netflix on occasion too. maybe this thread will finally inspire me to give it a watch.

Does the Amazon version have the original soundtrack? The first time it was on Netflix it had other filler stuff that was sort of similar (I think somehow it was still Tangerine Dream music but just not the stuff used originally?) necause of some obscure rights issue. But then like a year or two ago it was in Netflix again with the real music intact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011

SouthLAnd posted:

I saw bits of LA Takedown on YouTube, Mann always gives his characters cool cars. I think Hanna drove a Buick Gran National. Also, looking on IMDb now, I did not realize that Michael Rooker and Xander Berkeley were in that (as Bosko and Waingro respectively).

Huh, Xander Berkeley also pops up in Heat in one scene as the guy Hanna's wife cheats on him with. Also, Wes Studi plays both the bad guy Native American in Last of the Mohicans as well as one of Hanna's detective buddies in Heat. The latter is one of the few roles I can think of played by a Native American actor where the fact that he is Native American is not called attention to in any way.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Darko posted:

The big problem with Miami Vice is that, as I've heard, Foxx threw a tantrum and got tired of shooting the film, and they didn't do the climax yet, which was planned to a big location-set sequence - so the movie just kind of fizzles out and builds to nothing in particular.

He talked a bit about the production issues in his talkback at BAM, while he didn't touch on this, evidently a drunken police officer was killed by security detail during production when they were shooting in South America, and the script had to be re-written for Miami

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011
The story I read was they had a huge finale setpiece (which was going to be a big assault on the dealer's city/villa) all ready to shoot, when the country they were set to shoot in basically had a civil war break out and it was too unsafe to stay there. They literally had to leave all the sets and stuff behind like 1-2 weeks before they were set to film, and threw together the shootout at the docks super quickly to try to salvage an ending for the movie.

It's unfortunate because if they'd been able to do it as shot, it could've been up there with his best work, but as has been said, the movie kind of peter's out towards the end.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Problematic Pigeon posted:

Huh, Xander Berkeley also pops up in Heat in one scene as the guy Hanna's wife cheats on him with.

Vincent Hanna posted:

I'm angry. I'm very angry, Ralph. You know, you can ball my wife if she wants you to. You can lounge around here on her sofa, in her ex-husband's dead-tech, post-modernistic bullshit house if you want to. But you do not get to watch my loving television set!

I enjoyed that scene way too much.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011
Dead-tech, post-modernist bullshit could describe the architecture of almost every location or set in any of his films, and I love it.

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011
That's a good point I hadn't thought about before. In what universe is Pacino's character able to afford THAT house on a cop salary

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Blackhat just strikes me as this underfunded movie which was never really supposed to have a North American release.

The worst part of the film's 3rd act is where the characters make preparations to confront the bad guy.
millions at their disposal and a knowledge of self-defence and they elect to create prison-style armor out of magazines from a pharmacy - lol

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

bullet3 posted:

That's a good point I hadn't thought about before. In what universe is Pacino's character able to afford THAT house on a cop salary

Thom Andersen takes up the issue of housing in Heat in Los Angeles Plays Itself, specifically about how it situates characters like Vincent and Eady in the hills but then sets the action in the basin. He also wrote a pretty good essay about Collateral for Cinema Scope

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Apr 10, 2016

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky

Problematic Pigeon posted:

Huh, Xander Berkeley also pops up in Heat in one scene as the guy Hanna's wife cheats on him with. Also, Wes Studi plays both the bad guy Native American in Last of the Mohicans as well as one of Hanna's detective buddies in Heat. The latter is one of the few roles I can think of played by a Native American actor where the fact that he is Native American is not called attention to in any way.

Maybe I've not seen enough of his films but quite a lot of Wes Studi's roles seem to not make mention of him being native American. Pretty sure it doesn't get brought up in Mystery Men or Deep Rising. Both are terrible, but Wes Studi has relatively big roles on them.

The Keep turns out to be on Netflix in the UK right now. Excellent. Re watching it I'm reminded how weird it is seeing Michael Mann do supernatural stuff. I think his style suits it really well. It's what makes it such an odd film I think. It's a pretty out-there film in terms of subject matter (occult Nazis and Weird War 2 nonsense) but Mann's style is slow, haunting, and hyper realistic. I think almost all other films covering this kind of stuff have an action/comedy sensibility.

It's a definite recommend from me for anyone who likes Mann in general. So drat strange.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dead Snoopy posted:

from Wikipedia: "In January 2015, it was reported in The New Yorker that Mann is developing a film about Ferrari founder Enzo Ferrari.[16]Christian Bale was originally cast to play the title character, but later dropped out citing health concerns over the weight gain required to play the role"

Christian BALE? :sadpeanut:

Like, that just makes NO sense. How bad is this loving script really?

TBF that man has been abusing his body for acting for most of the last 20 years, he's probably just at the point where doing that for a movie is no longer worth it to him. Hell, maybe the experience on American Hustle soured him on it (lord knows working with David O Russell is exhausting as gently caress)

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Miami Vice is great, Linkin Park and all, and so is Blackhat. :colbert:

bullet3 posted:

The answer is two posts above you:

SouthLAnd posted:

I'm angry. I'm very angry, Ralph. You know, you can ball my wife if she wants you to. You can lounge around here on her sofa, in her ex-husband's dead-tech, post-modernistic bullshit house if you want to. But you do not get to watch my loving television set!

Dead Snoopy posted:

Blackhat just strikes me as this underfunded movie which was never really supposed to have a North American release.

The worst part of the film's 3rd act is where the characters make preparations to confront the bad guy.
millions at their disposal and a knowledge of self-defence and they elect to create prison-style armor out of magazines from a pharmacy - lol

Millions of dollars won't buy much in the way of guns and body armor in a country where you don't speak the language and don't have any connections and are on a tight schedule. People roll their eyes at Thor being a hacker but I assumed he went into prison a regular dude and "gladiator academy" gave him the muscles. But you do have to wonder how he gets out of prison with a full designer wardrobe. I wish Blackhat was popular enough to give us a commentary track.

Michael Mann is great and I hope we get at least one more crime film out of him before he retires. He's big on body language and characters feeling right, which is something I'm way into. He had Mark Ruffalo do full weapons training for Collateral even though he never sees any action just so he seems capable of that kind of thing. The cut of Tom Cruise's suit is something that would come out of SE Asia at the time, where he probably lives. Stuff like that is really cool and has an effect on the audience even if they don't know it.

He's creating a Michael Mann line of novels which has the potential to go either way but I'm optimistic.

Edit: Jacob Knight at Birth.Movies.Death does some great writing on Michael Mann. http://birthmoviesdeath.com/tag/michael-mann

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 10, 2016

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

I love Mann's work and I've always wondered what the deal with Collateral was; now that I know he didn't have anything to do with the script and story it makes a lot more sense. That movie is excellent but about thirty minutes too long -- if it ended immediately after Max flips and crashes the cab without the whole unnecessary action hero turn for the character it would have been great. It felt like the actual story and conflict was over at that point with the protagonist coming out of it as a changed man and yadda yadda yadda but for some reason we had to add a pure Hollywood 'this time it's personal' ending and set up the climactic ridiculous shootout.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Yoshifan823 posted:

TBF that man has been abusing his body for acting for most of the last 20 years, he's probably just at the point where doing that for a movie is no longer worth it to him. Hell, maybe the experience on American Hustle soured him on it (lord knows working with David O Russell is exhausting as gently caress)

Every time Bale did that sort of thing, he knew he was taking a chunk of years off his life.

It's why he stopped doing it - after The Fighter (and nabbing that Oscar), he stopped doing the "skin and bones" starvation roles and has wavered between just being average, being built, or being stocky to fat, which are more or less small changes to his diet and exercise routines instead of the wholesale lifestyle changes that were killing him. And it seems like now that he's over 40 Bale probably doesn't want to start throwing weight gain on his heart again in a short period of time. Hell, that same sort of thing nearly killed DeNiro at 36/37 when he did it for Raging Bull. Like he legit had breathing troubles that alarmed Scorsese so much that he basically doubled the setups he wanted to get per day so that he wouldn't kill his friend (itself a bit of irony since Raging Bull was the project that DeNiro used to pull Scorsese out of his cocaine addiction, which had nearly killed him - he was in the hospital due to an overdose and believed his career and life was over when he finally agreed to DeNiro's demand that they make this movie).

Bale has every reason to go "maybe I should stop doing the seesaw thing with my body and maybe live to see grandkids one day".

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I can't wait for those Michael Mann books. I've been reading a lot of Eddie Bunker and Elmore Leonard recently, Mann would make good company.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
He's one of my favorite directors and I will watch pretty much everything he puts out. Granted, I hated the Miami Vice movie, but then I watch Heat and The Last of the Mohicans again and all is right in the world.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

ruddiger posted:

I can't wait for those Michael Mann books. I've been reading a lot of Eddie Bunker and Elmore Leonard recently, Mann would make good company.

Check out Charles Willeford's Hoke Moseley novels if you haven't, all set in Miami sort of contemporaneous to Miami Vice. I don't know when they were written, but the first one, Miami Blues, was published in 1984, the same year the show started, and the last one was published in 1988, a year before the show ended. There's a Miami Blues film, starring Alec Baldwin, it's also good but I watched it after reading the novel and was a little let down.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
So here's a treat. Mann has a notoriously touchy relationship with composers (He'll often hire more than one composer, not telling the other), and Elliot Goldenthal wrote a piece for the end of HEAT that Mann threw out and replaced with Moby. Whats sort of interesting though is that there is a likeness between the two which makes me wonder if Mann asked for something that sounded like the Moby track or if that gave him the idea fot the Moby track. The Goldenthal take was eventually used for the end of MICHAEL COLLINS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqKVQXgWa68

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
drat that's pretty cool and I think I might prefer it to the Moby Song. Also LOL at the idea of Mann using blues for Thief. I'm glad we got the one we got.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I like that, but I think I still prefer Moby at the end.

The Insider has pretty good music too:
https://youtu.be/o9qCEEy2XcU

Edit: Any Robbery Homicide fans in here? I still have a bunch of VHS rips on my old computer and that show was top notch. It was a better Miami Vice than the movie was IMO.
https://youtu.be/lhNvRWFo-HI

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Apr 12, 2016

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011
In a career of great films, The Insider is his masterpiece. And ya, the soundtrack is great. His use of Massive Attack for the ending has always been one of my favorite "gently caress ya" moments: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEIMNeHyAio

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Human Tornada posted:

drat that's pretty cool and I think I might prefer it to the Moby Song. Also LOL at the idea of Mann using blues for Thief. I'm glad we got the one we got.

I think it's almost great, it just needs to be stripped back a little. I like the Moby track a lot, but it's sped up and has no real bass to it. I don't really know why Mann uses composers at all since he likes to gently caress them any chance he gets.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Michael Mann is both the master of cyberpunk cinema and our leading supplier of Don Frye on film and for this I salute him.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Wasn't he interested in directing a Gibson adaptation (Count Zero I think) at one point? Don't know how that would have worked but I'd like to see the script.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y07Z8YVbjbs

I loving love this scene. "I want to touch your face," she says to Dolarhyde, and about thirty seconds later she's rubbing a tiger's fangs. Then you have the moment of real connection: Reba laying her head against the tiger's chest, listening to its heart. The vet places a comforting hand on her back. This is startling in a film where, like in most Michael Mann joints, people are defined by tools, by jargon, but most of all by the negative space they surround themselves with for protection. The vulnerability, the humanity, the life of this moment is too much for Dolarhyde - he's backed into a physical and metaphorical corner by the force of it. We don't need a Lecktor speech to tell us what's wrong with Dolarhyde, this is why he kills.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
I did just watch Thief again and honestly it might be my favorite of his, everything that makes his cinema great is there in that film. The Tangerine Dream soundtrack kills it from the first scene to the end. James Caan gives probably his best performance in it, and Tuesday Weld is Tuesday Weld, you can't take your eyes off her whenever she's onscreen. It struck me how great the screenplay was, and how great a screenwriter Mann really is. The diner scene is a masterclass.

Everyone who dislikes Blackhat is wrong, it's amazing, watch it again it needs two viewings at least.

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011
The crazy thing with Thief is how loving good it looks. I re-watched Heat afterwards, and it manages to look kinda drab by comparison. It's absolutely crazy how good he was right out of the gate, with his style and themes already fully formed.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
I still get upset that Luck was cancelled because they kept killing horses. That show was really setting up to be great, but no one seems to have watched it really. I think mann only directed the first episode but he co-created and produced it (I think) and it had his fingerprints all over it.

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Apr 14, 2016

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

greasyhands posted:

I still get upset that Luck was cancelled because they kept killing horses. That show was really setting up to be great, but no one seems to have watched it really. I think mann only directed the first episode but he co-created and produced it (I think) and it had his fingerprints all over it.

The horse deaths were just a convenient excuse for HBO to get rid of a very troubled production. Mann and Milch are both very controlling and it mad a terrible set to work on, with Mann effectively prohibiting Milch from being there (For those who don't know, Milch will often just rewrite dialogue the night before, or the morning of shooting). In reality, and as many people on set attested to, the horses were treated the way they should've been and the humane society didn't have an issue with it. It was just some real unfortunate accidents.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

HP Hovercraft posted:

Everyone who dislikes Blackhat is wrong, it's amazing, watch it again it needs two viewings at least.

I've seen it twice. I'm more or less okay with it up until they head to Malaysia (also Hemsworth is totally miscast even if he is based on a real hacker), the villain is uninteresting and the showdown at the end is just dumb, not to mention a little racist. It's also the only Mann movie I can think of that has a totally forgettable score.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Cacator posted:

Mann is one of my favourite directors and Heat is my favourite film, but it's been diminishing returns on his films since Collateral. Miami Vice is a huge guilty pleasure of mine but I understand why it has a more negative reputation. And I think Public Enemies was hurt by the digital look, it really doesn't suit period pieces. Blackhat was just a huge disappointment from every angle, especially the score :( (although it was one of the best depictions of Hong Kong I've seen in a Hollywood movie) Here's hoping the Ferrari pic goes through, I could see it being a more Insider-ish turn for him.

This is the post that describes my feelings best so far, so I'll just quote it.

A great thing about Last of the Mohicans is that it's both a dick flick and a chick flick. Action, romance, honor, duty, defiance, freedom, betrayal, sacrifice and redemption all thrown in. I'm a grown rear end man but I absolutely lose my poo poo and have to choke back tears through the entire end sequence starting where Duncan sacrifices himself, Hawkeye mercy kills him, and then they chase down the ladies. I'm not sure if Alice was in love with Uncas or if she's just acknowledging his sacrifice, but the stone cold look of defiance on Alice's face as she backs away from Magua to join Uncas over the cliff is one of the greatest movie moments of all time.

Good god.

Spoilered for the OP and anyone else who hasn't seen this movie recently or at all. Go watch it.

And the things I love about Heat are all the sub themes throughout. It's a super long film and yet I wouldn't call any of the scenes wasted or throwaway. They all serve to drive one of the many themes along. The main one being how the cop and the criminal aren't all that different. Their desire for love and normalcy in spite of how it doesn't really fit in to their lives, how sharp and in tune their instincts are in regard to their jobs, etc etc etc. The scene where De Niro catches on to the surveillance is another greatest movie moment of all time. When he stares straight in to the infrared camera that the cops have on him it's incredibly creepy and intense.

Also noteworthy is that Heat was the first movie Pacino and De Niro were in together. I think that was sort of a coup for Mann at the time.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 14, 2016

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

LloydDobler posted:

Also noteworthy is that Heat was the first movie Pacino and De Niro were in together. I think that was sort of a coup for Mann at the time.

This is true, there was definitely hype for how both Corleone patriarchs were on screen at the same time (they were both in Godfather 2 of course but didn't share any scenes for obvious reasons).

When the movie came out I remember it was actually criticized a bit for doing this but then not having them share more screen time in the same shot. Crazy.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Neo Rasa posted:

When the movie came out I remember it was actually criticized a bit for doing this but then not having them share more screen time in the same shot. Crazy.

The diner scene is famous for being shot without the two of them on set at the same time. It's like the only scene in movie history(to that point at least) where De Niro and Pacino actually converse, and they weren't even on set together.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The totally uncommented-on Alice subplot in Last of the Mohicans is incredible.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Did anyone hear about that re-edited version of Blackhat?

http://blogs.indiewire.com/criticwire/theres-a-new-version-of-michael-manns-blackhat-and-its-really-different-20160211

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Basebf555 posted:

The diner scene is famous for being shot without the two of them on set at the same time. It's like the only scene in movie history(to that point at least) where De Niro and Pacino actually converse, and they weren't even on set together.

Thats not true

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Thats not true

Hollywood myth?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Basebf555 posted:

Hollywood myth?

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Basebf555 posted:

Hollywood myth?

I think originally it was just a joke that ended up getting repeated and taken seriously along the way at some point cause of how easily it blends with the other notable aspects of the scene, like the two not rehearsing it with each other until filmed and Mann shooting from three angles simultaneously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Trick photography.

Seriously though that's crazy, I know I've heard/read about them not really delivering their lines to each other in that scene.

• Locked thread