Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Crime Scene, a game for 6 players that will be used only through Discord / voice chat. It will be finished within the next two to four weeks, so anywhere from the middle of this month to May but I will begin a vetting process of choosing 6 people that really want to be in it and actually put forth effort when they're in. Also if you're super shy or not that talkative, it probably won't go very well for you.

:siren: I would also highly recommend watching Crime Scene before signing up if you would like to play. The premise of the game is going to be very similar, and it's just a great loving show. I'd recommend Season 2 because I like the set up better and that's how mine will be. :siren:

Depending on how it goes, it'll be a continuous series, so if you don't get in this one you'll have first dibs on the next game!

What I need from you in the signup (via thread or PM):
  • Have you seen Crime Scene and why do you want to be in this game?
  • What times are best for you during the week or weekend in the next month or so? (Just roughly list the best days for you basically, the game will only last anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours at the latest)
  • Do you have a working microphone? (Can't play if not!)

What the game will involve:
  • If you watch the series, it'll take elements from that and become translated to an internet format.
  • Open mindedness, debate and deduction skills and being able to be okay with feeling suspicious of everybody.
  • If you want to do light roleplaying, go wild!
  • A lot of Google Documents that you will have to scrounge around. Expect the unexpected, you never know how deep you will be lead.
  • Official rules will be told to participants closer to the launch of the game with a lot of surprises.

What you can signup as:
  • A player (6 total)
  • A co-host (I will need somebody to help with a number of things)
  • A spectator (You can join in Discord and follow along as long as you mute yourself)
  • Writer(s) (I want to make this an ongoing thing, and while very rewarding it's time consuming for one person. Would love some help for future scenarios!)

Signups Received (7) (Not finalized player list!)

Tommunist
PBS Newshour
MMM Whatchya Say
Absurd Revolver
MG3
Infinitum
NowonSA

Deadbeat Dad fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
A humble bump.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

:unsmigghh:

E:

I've seen Crime Scene, only about half of the first season though.

I have a microphone.

April 30th is a bad day for me.

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

Dude I'm in. I thought I signed up for this

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

MG3 posted:

Dude I'm in. I thought I signed up for this

I forgot I received one, do me a favor and just answer the 3 questions in a PM or here as far as times you're available and such~

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

Deadbeat Dad posted:

I forgot I received one, do me a favor and just answer the 3 questions in a PM or here as far as times you're available and such~

I don't have PM's. I'm free in the afternoons ie after 6pm eastern time. I have Tuesday's off work, so Tuesday's I'm free anytime.

My email is: mjdavi11@gmail.com

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Hey I already sign up for this but if you are looking for writers in the future as well I would glad to help with that

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

MG3 posted:

I don't have PM's. I'm free in the afternoons ie after 6pm eastern time. I have Tuesday's off work, so Tuesday's I'm free anytime.

My email is: mjdavi11@gmail.com

this reminded me that im also busy tuesdays from 7-9

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
I'd definitely like to spectate!

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Things are super busy for me for the forseeable future or I might be in. Need to watch the show first.

I'll spectate if the timing is right.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I'll take a potato chip..

And sign up to play.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Any particular days of the week that you cannot do?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Doesn't even check his PMs.

What sort of half-arsed show are you running here mate?
(I'm good whenever)

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Infinitum posted:

Doesn't even check his PMs.

What sort of half-arsed show are you running here mate?
(I'm good whenever)

Your gif got me too excited I totally forgot~ (thanks <3!)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Deadbeat Dad posted:

Your gif got me too excited I totally forgot~ (thanks <3!)

Op easily distracted by gifs.

Memory unreliable?

Suspicious.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I'd very much like to play, or at least participate in some way!

-Have you seen Crime Scene and why do you want to be in this game?

I've seen both seasons and loved the show. The only show I've enjoyed more from South Korea is The Genius. I'd like to be in it because I feel like I can convey the fun spirit and liveliness of the T.V. show.

-What times are best for you during the week or weekend in the next month or so? (Just roughly list the best days for you basically, the game will only last anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours at the latest)

Unfortunately, I'm only available Friday after 3 p.m. and after 10 p.m. on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. I can play late on those days if that works for others. I don't want to distract people at home while I"m on the mic, and those are the only times I have the place to myself. If we can make Friday work then that would be golden!

Do you have a working microphone? (Can't play if not!)

I absolutely do!

If the schedule doesn't work out for me to participate as a player then I'll join as a spectator and hope to get in on the next season, though my availability then will likely be the same. I don't have PM's, but you can reach me via email at cnkandrew@gmail.com

I'm super intrigued wondering how you'll translate this show into an online game, gonna be some fun google docs. Maybe we can copy and paste a set number of text sections and those count as our version of the "photos of evidence" when we do the "present the evidence you've found" section of the show?

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Great, I'll leave signups open the next few days, and update you guys accordingly. Still working on a few tweaks and finishing touches on things.

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

If we could start this next Friday at the earliest that would be best. I'll have a new computer by then. But if it starts before I can use one of my brothers computers.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I'm going to watch more Crime Scene to prepare myself. I loved your last game by the way DBD.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

E: you probably only need to read that post once!

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Deadbeat Dad posted:

Great, I'll leave signups open the next few days, and update you guys accordingly. Still working on a few tweaks and finishing touches on things.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3593386 Here's another thread you can advertise in if you want.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

The times I gave were all for U.S. EST by the way, I keep assuming that's the universal time since I see it used so often.

Also, some ideas you may want to consider, and apologies if it's stuff you already were planning on anyway:

-Detectives role who is not a suspect but can still vote and discuss during the game (Basically Crime Scene S2 rules). They can pull people into the interview room during the final discussion/search time, or the S1 version where anyone can choose to pull in someone to talk to once could work, it ought to be about the same time wise.
-Guest roles for spectators if they want to take them, maybe they come in and do a sort of mini radio play where they act out the victim's last minutes, to some degree, or begin the episode with the suspects and then are killed.
-Clues hidden in the scenery, or in this case the google docs or whatever other wizardry you have planned.

I feel like I have more ideas on the tip of my tongue, but I can't quite put them together. I'm sure you'll come up with good stuff regardless!

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Apr 11, 2016

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
1 and 3 I have planned actually (not that exact way, but close) -- 2 I haven't put thought into but that's really interesting. I don't want to give too much away right this second but as I announce the date I'll definitely clue everybody in on what the game will entail and what will be in store, but thanks a lot

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Yeah I'm looking forward to what surprises you may have and how the game will be structured.

I never would have thought of trying this, I can barely wrap my head around adapting the Genius to this sort of play method.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
I want to a quick opinions from you guys, assuming most of you have watched the first few episodes of the show:

Would you prefer the detective get 2 votes at the end (like the first episode), or 1 vote in the middle of the game and one at the end (like the other episodes)?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The later, I always liked that bit in the middle, it puts some HEAT on folks.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Middle and End votes.

PBS Newshour posted:

it puts some HEAT on folks.

Scum gonna start sweating.

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
Middle and end please!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

*extreme waying intensifies*

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

"The uploader has not made this video available in your country."

harsh

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

"The uploader has not made this video available in your country."

harsh

Poster not extreme enough to watch video.

Suspicious.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlt5Wa13fFU&nohtml5=False

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfXZ6ydgZyo

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Also estimated time of the entire game is closer to about an hour and a half to two hours, will announce the date and players later during the week~

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Absurd Revolver posted:

Middle and end please!

Very much middle and end por favor.

Infinitum posted:

Poster not extreme enough to watch video.

Suspicious.

Poster has tendency to post Death Note gifs.

Fun, but... Suspicious.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

NowonSA posted:

Poster has tendency to post Death Note gifs.

Fun, but... Suspicious.

Calling me Suspicious.

Suspicious.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

:munch: I started watching the show because of this thread, and the player flipping her poo poo when this song started playing (even though it was her own song) was hilariously sad.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Podima posted:

:munch: I started watching the show because of this thread, and the player flipping her poo poo when this song started playing (even though it was her own song) was hilariously sad.

Watching the female players freak out over a sudden sound or startling thing is a solid 20% of what makes this show awesome.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Roles going out sometime over the weekend, make sure you read up on your dude/dudettes so you can answer quicker without sounding like you have to remember everything.

And during early next week we will set a date that works for all of us, hooray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Progress report!

I've got the final six participants:

PBS Newshour
MMM Whatchya Say
Absurd Revolver
MG3
Infinitum
NowonSA

Unfortunately, Tommunist only followed up with a sign up and not much else, the rest submitted some really good signups.. But he will be the first to replace anybody if you can't do it suddenly (I hope you guys all can) and first dibs on the next game I run.

I'm still setting up some loose ends with the story and fudging with the rooms a bit. This will take a few days since I'm working and doing this in the free time that I have lately. I'm actually really excited about this, it's coming along really good. I hope you guys are excited as well. :3:

Tomorrow you guys will receive very basic information about your roles. If you want, we can try to discuss a consensus date that isn't in the next 5 or so days (ideally in the next week to three weeks depending how busy everybody is!), but anytime other than that we can try to aim for so I'd like a group decision on that.

Again, the game will be done via Discord and you will need at least 2 hours free time as that is probably the max time it will run.

• Locked thread