Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MG3
Mar 29, 2016

Infinitum posted:

Look I know you worked really hard on this role PM, but I've chosen to straight up ignore it entirely and I'm just going to be doing my own thing for the game.

Hope that's cool

Really?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yeah like I don't really get what he's trying to achieve here, so I'm just gonna wing it.

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

Infinitum posted:

Yeah like I don't really get what he's trying to achieve here, so I'm just gonna wing it.

Just watch the tv show, one episode will solve it for you

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
It was actually a fake role PM

(also he's kidding, Mag!)

OR NOT WE WILL FIND OUT

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Infinitum I know you're just being a dick but speaking as another content creator who spends a lot of time in prep - that isn't cool, even in jest.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think it's cool

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
You're all cool

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret

Deadbeat Dad posted:

You're all cool

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Podima posted:

Infinitum I know you're just being a dick but speaking as another content creator who spends a lot of time in prep - that isn't cool, even in jest.

Sorry that's me just poo poo stirring MG3~

There is obviously a lot of work gone into this.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

(My character is Nigerian)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeDk6ZeGNnU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

ah yes, nigeria and south africa... right next to each other

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

lol infinitum you jerk

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

ah yes, nigeria and south africa... right next to each other

Nice detective work Google Maps PI

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.
How would one spectate this thing? (It is happening now-ish, right?)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It's started now.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://discord.gg/0xSnfhhZZPFOLrsE

No talking~

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

The instant invite is invalid or has expired.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I also would like to join

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I got you all covered. Give me a sec ANarc

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

game is too hard

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Viviana Passamonte was running a drug ring and used her bakery as a front. Mercede originally started finding out little clues here and there about her past while working for her about 3-4 years ago, but said nothing of it. Fast forward to a few days ago, Mercede and Viviana were having a night out at Viviana’s place and drinking cocktails (faint lipstick stains on the glasses), as they did on a monthly basis - Viviana was a confidant that was teaching her good business habits and listened to her stories, however Viviana always harbored jealousy and envy despite being rich and successful herself. She saw Mercede doing decently well for herself at an age where Viviana was dead broke and in need of a break (pictures of Viviana poor and broke hidden in the cooking book). A runner, part-time worker and spy for Viviana came to the door and gave Viviana information on Mercede’s business, which she did monthly unbeknownst to Mercede. Mercede sat in her living room none the wiser.

However, that alone would not push Viviana over the edge to do something as unforgiving as murdering Mercede in cold blood. The note inside of Mercede’s dresser writing about how Viviana seemed to be hiding something big, and the fact that the spy was bringing back information that still matched that (from casual talks at work) was almost enough, and Crispino sending letters unbeknownst to Viviana threatening her and inferring that Mercede “knows about what she did” broke the camel’s back. It turns out that Crispino was talking about something different altogether, but it broke Viviana to the point that she would have to kill before being found out and going to jail for the rest of her life.

Viviana wrote a crazed love letter to Mercede after she left, and left it taped to her door the morning of the murder before Mercede went for her morning job. She signed the letter as “C”, hoping that Mercede would assume it was Crispino or Cino writing the letter (ripped up letter with the letter C on it in Revolver’s drawer).

Viviana called at 3:30 PM the day before (1/28) to tell Mercede that she would drop off a package of new baking equipment later that night. She also texted Crispino from a burner phone that she left at the crime scene the next day, and gave him the license plate of Boyfriend Nicola’s car to confuse him. (Cino can be seen on the camera picking the package up and bringing it into the bakery on 1/28.) The next day on 1/29 Viviana dropped another package off in the early afternoon (12/1 PM) and met with Mercede, asking when her break was. Crispino stole the package when Mercede left the package outside by accident. Unbeknownst to Mercede, Viviana planned to kill her later when she came back. Viviana wore a black hat (investigation: seems like it was recently worn, smells like sweat) and walked with her head lowered past the store into the back alley of the kitchen. When Mercede finally saw her, she couldn’t react in time from the strike and she bashed her over the head with the heavy Snake object on her table. Mercede was killed by blunt force trauma. Viviana also brought a pocket knife that she used to cut the wrists of Mercede to disguise how she was killed threw it behind the lamp post, drug her over a recently put out cigarette butt and emptied a bag of a dozen roses over her corpse to throw things off, and fled the scene, dreaming of a perfect crime ….

Deadbeat Dad fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Apr 24, 2016

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Thanks for running Deeb, it was really fun to follow along!

Trip you were really good at thinking out loud and saying what you were doing while I was shadowing you <3

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Thank you guys for participating.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I am the deduction idiot. Could've been the guy saving the day if I'd you know, shared evidence like a sensible person.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Grats to Boss Revolver for fooling everyone.

Taking a break, but I'll do a write up of my thoughts.
Good game, but needs a bunch of changes.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Also super shout out to everyone for learning their roles.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

A great failure.

That's in reference to my effort. You did a great job dbd!

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
Had a lot of fun leading people on and laying low, until we put the poor crazy bestie in jail in my place.

I hope I didn't come off smug, I was just trying to stay lightly in character, and I honestly had a ton of fun. Hope to do it again sometime.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

Deadbeat Dad posted:

Thank you guys for participating.

Yeah, I had fun guys but I know some of you hitting me up had a bit of a hold up while I confirmed poo poo, sorry for the delays in that, hope it wasn't too frustrating.

I enjoyed it looking from the outside in but it's always hard to put yourself in the players perspective when you already know, so I hope it was a good time for everyone.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Thanks guys, I consider this a success! There was a lot of stuff on my end that could've ran more smoothly (like not moving from my Mac with all my info perfectly in order on it and having to switch to my laptop) and the fact that I knew almost all of the information but Raeg didn't -- but I think with more people involved with the process from the beginning, that will go much easier. Basically I just didn't want information sent out that isn't in full context since PM's were a little different from my notes and in more detail.

I can't say if it was too hard or easy, I may add a little less fluff in the next game -- but I guess it just matters what people find out. MMM and PBS mentioned that a total of 15 inspections where you can go in one room and "sweep it" would make more sense.

Next game will start earlier and we'll run more on schedule I'm sure, or maybe not.

Anyway, thanks again everybody for participating. You all did great but just barked up the wrong tree(s).

Next one will probably be ran in a few months and I will definitely need extra writers and players.

Revolver, I got your avy tomorrow.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I have the recording, it's about 4 hours long so I'll try to edit it down into just the main parts

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I have the recording, it's about 4 hours long so I'll try to edit it down into just the main parts

I'm the one with the sexy accent.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

Infinitum posted:

I'm the one with the sexy accent.

No, me.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Thurs bin a murdurr

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Here's the big ol' post of my thoughts on the game, please use as much or as little of this feedback as you like when making the next one.

I think the difficulty was about right, it's not that the clues weren't found it's that we happened to not look in the right places in favor of going after the juicier suspects, and I happened to be the guy to find the two big clues. One I ignored because I already knew about it and it made me look guilty, and the other I was just too dumb to put together, although in my defense I found out toward the end when there was a ton of discussion going on so I didn't really sit back and process it the way I did earlier clues.

I think the system as it is mostly works, it just needs fewer inputs and to be presented in a prettier way. Myself and some others didn't realize how far you could pan the images around, and even after I knew I missed some possible clue spots because some images had stuff further down than others. Make the interaction binary as well, like inspect or search. Inspect means you look at an item, search means you look around it. I would inspect a cabinet to see what's in the drawers, but I'd search it to look behind or under it. Moving would fit under the search umbrella. You could also make search a way to interact with smaller handheld items too, like if you had a picture in a frame you wouldn't normally think to search it, but if you did you'd take it out of the frame and see some writing on the back or that an edge of it was folded to crop someone out. Inspecting that same picture would give you some information on who is in the picture. Or you could have tasks that require you to spend multiple searches, like putting together a torn up letter/document/photo taking 3 searches. This would give people a reason to go yelling into a room saying "Hey I found this, someone help me figure it out" in the first half, and if you find it in the second half you have to weigh if it's worth spending your more limited searches figuring it out. And of course, just because it takes a lot of effort doesn't necessarily mean it points to the true criminal.

Giving everyone 15 searches during each half of the game to spend wherever is probably too hard on the criminal, since everyone can each pick a room and go to town on it. I think you go with 3 searches per room per person at the start, and then only 6 searches in the second half to spend anywhere you want, with the focus more on discussing evidence than necessarily finding new evidence. People can coordinate them to some degree too, a few people can decide person A is the top suspect and plan out what each person will search in that room to not overlap, for instance. This makes the first evidence presentation more important for the criminal too, if they can B.S. past whatever comes up they'll be in a better position to avoid the spotlight, and it also gives them a stronger incentive to look for evidence themselves so they can make others look more guilty. You also open up the slightly high-risk play where they search for evidence against themselves that may be in other rooms (which I'd like to see more of, or at least in the crime scene itself) and say there's none there in a location. So they can say they searched the trash and found nothing, but they risk someone else searching it and finding evidence and being exposed.

A briefing on the body/how the victim was killed should be a freebie too, even something as simple as a link to a text doc could work for that. Inspecting the body should probably be a source of at least one minor clue, even if it is a misleading one that doesn't point to the criminal. For example, search the body and you find their phone and get its text/call history for free.

Clues shouldn't take more than one action to reveal. For instance, I looked around a small sign and found an arrest warrant, but would have needed another action to review it for the details. With how long processing searches takes, it's only logical to make it so you either find something (and get the details on it) or don't. It also makes it more realistic, I wouldn't find a hidden note or document and not immediately review it.

More complicated alibis would be nice too, like yes you want to be free at the time of the murder but having someone else able to corroborate someone's alibi, or giving someone little practical time to do it, would be nice. You wouldn't have a solid alibi from the start, but evidence could be found in your room or others to strengthen it. Or to put it another way, just like the killer should have a few pieces of evidence that are fairly damning if assessed correctly, everyone (the killer included) should have one clue that makes them seem significantly less likely to do it. I think the potential to be able to say "But what about X? Why would I kill her when X?" is exciting. If I had been the killer for instance, maybe loans from the victim were keeping my business afloat, so why would I kill her when she was keeping me in business? And of course, others could say that I was mad at her because of the loans, or I was hoping my need to pay her back would vanish with her death, etc. Most clues should just increase guilt or allow you to start building at least a bare bones theory on how and why any one of us committed the crime, but I like the idea of those golden nuggets lying around. It also gives the killer incentive to search their room to find them, since you'd leave them off of the info they're provided or tell them that they can tell people about it only if they find the evidence hidden somewhere. Going back to my example, I could reveal the loan only if I find the loan contract or if someone else finds it and brings it up.

For those curious, the stuff that pointed towards me but wasn't found:

-Owner sent all the threatening letters, that was the evidence I ignored because I thought of how it implicated me and not how the recipient would react.
-I had a fishing knife hidden under the dog bowls because I was worried it would make me look guilty.

Stuff I just generally messed up on:

-Anything involving walkie talkies, they weren't that important but everyone, myself included, got fixated on them.
-Sharing with the group.
-making my stuff line up with what I was asked about, I had two separate little notes on appliances (one old one and a correction) and it just became a whole confusing thing.

I had a pretty good time, and I'm looking forward to playing this again down the line with more writers on board and more bugs ironed out. This is my big fat :effort: post with my feedback, so I'm going to do my best to refrain from giving more suggestions about it. I definitely need to be in on the next game though, I've got so much drat stuff to redeem.

Please give the character I'm playing as some association with lemons and a big ol' lemon poster on the wall or something, god I was dumb to not catch that even with the distractions.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I'm looking forward to the part where you're inciting everyone to look at the killer's room and I basically strongarm you to the detective room and start sidetracking everything.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

In fact, screw having fun dodging guilt and possibly being a criminal, make me Detective next time. It ought to be the least desired role anyway, and I won't be able to mess up my background.

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

This was a really fun game and I really appreciate all the time and effort you put into it DBD. Thanks!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
BIG thanks to all the observers for relaying fun snippets of the voice conversations back into the observer chat, that was really cool of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Man I'd really like to see that viewers chat

• Locked thread