Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
I am running 2 Dark Petition main for exactly that reason. One SB game I managed to Petition for Pick the Brain and take my Seasons Past opponent's Dark Petitions.

Having a late game Demonic Tutor + Dark Ritual is super useful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lockdar
Jul 7, 2008

One of my friends borrowed me this deck to play in Standard tournaments, I myself don't own a Standard deck since I only play Modern. The first night playing thr deck I went 2-0-2 in a FNM and last saturday I top 8'ed a PPTQ with it. So far I've played against several Aristocrats variants, U/R Thing in the Ice/Mill, R/G Ramp, W/R Allies and Creatureless Control. The worst matchup of those by far was R/G Ramp, I have almost no chance of winning preboard and unless I get a really aggressive/disruptive hand post board it's still pretty hard. We've done some tweaking to the deck and so far this is what we've come up with. What do you guys think about it and where do you feel it can be improved?

Mainboard
Creatures
2 Nissa, Vastwood Seer
1 Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
2 Den Protector
4 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
3 Mindwrack Demon
1 Dragonlord Silumgar

Planeswalkers
3 Kiora, Master of the Depths

Spells
3 Traverse the Ulvenwald
4 Grasp of Darkness
3 Languish
3 Ruinous Path
1 Pulse of Murasa
4 Oath of Nissa
2 Dead Weight

Lands
4 Llanowar Wastes
3 Swamp
3 Forest
1 Island
4 Evolving Wilds
4 Hissing Quagmire
1 Lumbering Falls
4 Yavimaya Coast

Sideboard
1 Negate (CoCo, planeswalkers, ect)
4 Duress (same as above and really important against R/G ramp)
1 Ainok Survivalist (Surprise enchantment hate, especially with the Den Protectors)
2 Clip Wings (Dragonlord, Avacyn and Westvale Abbey)
4 Sylvan Advocate (Against decks where I need early drops, usefull against Ramp since they provide early pressure)
2 Ob Nixilis Reignited (Usually against control and games where Kiora is bad)
1 Languish (Well, cause why not?)

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008
So what are BW control's best options against eldrazi based strategies? I went up against U/R/C tempo/eldrazi and G/R ramp and just got butchered. What are good tools to be bringing in in place of Ultimate Price and such. I run a full set of transgress main based on my meta as well as three Ayli and a 3/2 Grasp/UP split.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Typhus733 posted:

So what are BW control's best options against eldrazi based strategies? I went up against U/R/C tempo/eldrazi and G/R ramp and just got butchered. What are good tools to be bringing in in place of Ultimate Price and such. I run a full set of transgress main based on my meta as well as three Ayli and a 3/2 Grasp/UP split.
To the Slaughter is pretty amazing and I like to run a few Duress against ramp just because being able to nail their ramp spells early is really nice; I can't imagine it'd be bad against URC eldrazi. I'm a big fan of Wasteland Strangler since it does hit a lot of things in this meta and is a fairly aggressive body, and between stone/transgress you have plenty of exile.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I'm tweaking B/W tokens to add a little spice to it. Bolts give you reach, and people need to start respecting Rabblemaster again. I, admittedly, don't have a lot of access to modern match-ups, so any analysis would be useful.

Deck: Mardu Tokens

//Lands
1 Blood Crypt
4 Bloodstained Mire
4 Godless Shrine
4 Marsh Flats
1 Mountain
4 Plains
2 Sacred Foundry
1 Shambling Vent
2 Swamp
1 Vault of the Archangel
1 Westvale Abbey

//Spells
4 Bitterblossom
1 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
2 Inquisition of Kozilek
3 Intangible Virtue
1 Kolaghan's Command
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Lingering Souls
2 Path to Exile
2 Secure the Wastes
2 Sorin, Solemn Visitor
2 Spectral Procession
2 Thoughtseize
1 Zealous Persecution

//Creatures
3 Dark Confidant
2 Goblin Rabblemaster

Display deck statistics

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

AlternateNu posted:

I'm tweaking B/W tokens to add a little spice to it. Bolts give you reach, and people need to start respecting Rabblemaster again. I, admittedly, don't have a lot of access to modern match-ups, so any analysis would be useful.

Deck: Mardu Tokens

Would Monastery Swiftspear be too out-of-focus? Every time I see a Mardu midrange/token-y build there's a few of those, especially with how many spells you're running.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

C-Euro posted:

Would Monastery Swiftspear be too out-of-focus? Every time I see a Mardu midrange/token-y build there's a few of those, especially with how many spells you're running.

I would say yes. There aren't enough red sources in the deck to be certain to cast it on 1 which is where it is good, and it doesn't interact with Intangible Virtue outside of the lone prowess trigger. The deck isn't as aggro as it may seem.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I took BW Control to a PPTQ yesterday. Beat white humans in the first round soundly after being dropped to 6 life, resolved a Sorin to kill his last guy on the board and his scooped at 19 life (from a T1 painland).

Then lost to the BW mirror, where he modified the maindeck with a couple of Reality Smashers. He won game 1 and 3 both by dropping and swinging with Smasher.

Round 3 was GW tokens, and I think I need to read more about beating it, because I'm sure this is a decent deck for it. In the event I also had some mana issues, keeping two land hands and not seeing my third until T4/5.

So I dropped and went into a side event (box of Eternal Masters for first place) I didn't take as many notes but beat Grixis with ease in the first round, and I think a Company deck in the second. Then lost to GW Tokens again, Bant company round 4 (with a set of Reality Smashers in the side) and to GB midrange in the last turn of round 5. That one I misread the deck in the quick first game as Aurora and sideboarded wrong, and didn't completely correct it in the third game by leaving the Duresses in.

So I'm thinking of some changes, like Infinite Obliteration, partly for Smashers since they seem to be seeing more play, and maybe go up to 2-3 of my own (I ran one out of the side) I'm also liking the idea of 1-2 Virulent Plague for the token decks, and at least one Dark Petition.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

BizarroAzrael posted:

I took BW Control to a PPTQ yesterday. Beat white humans in the first round soundly after being dropped to 6 life, resolved a Sorin to kill his last guy on the board and his scooped at 19 life (from a T1 painland).

Then lost to the BW mirror, where he modified the maindeck with a couple of Reality Smashers. He won game 1 and 3 both by dropping and swinging with Smasher.

Round 3 was GW tokens, and I think I need to read more about beating it, because I'm sure this is a decent deck for it. In the event I also had some mana issues, keeping two land hands and not seeing my third until T4/5.

So I dropped and went into a side event (box of Eternal Masters for first place) I didn't take as many notes but beat Grixis with ease in the first round, and I think a Company deck in the second. Then lost to GW Tokens again, Bant company round 4 (with a set of Reality Smashers in the side) and to GB midrange in the last turn of round 5. That one I misread the deck in the quick first game as Aurora and sideboarded wrong, and didn't completely correct it in the third game by leaving the Duresses in.

So I'm thinking of some changes, like Infinite Obliteration, partly for Smashers since they seem to be seeing more play, and maybe go up to 2-3 of my own (I ran one out of the side) I'm also liking the idea of 1-2 Virulent Plague for the token decks, and at least one Dark Petition.

I think two obliteration are just the way to go. I use them for smashers and avancyn. In the planeswalker heavy version of this deck I believe that the average card disadvantage of obliteration is nullified by ob/sorin.

The key cards for beating tokens is 3-4 duress (and hoping to draw them early) to take out planes walkers or removal when needed. Unmaking also does this, at the heavy cost of life, but is also an answer for leap. And last but not least, path, to kill everything and also be a win condition.

I just hate the plagues though. Tokens has too many answer for it in the 75 and its not worth making your secure/gideons bad cards.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Sickening posted:

I think two obliteration are just the way to go. I use them for smashers and avancyn. In the planeswalker heavy version of this deck I believe that the average card disadvantage of obliteration is nullified by ob/sorin.

The key cards for beating tokens is 3-4 duress (and hoping to draw them early) to take out planes walkers or removal when needed. Unmaking also does this, at the heavy cost of life, but is also an answer for leap. And last but not least, path, to kill everything and also be a win condition.

I just hate the plagues though. Tokens has too many answer for it in the 75 and its not worth making your secure/gideons bad cards.

Yeah, I suppose it's not worth it when the deck it's for plays Dromoka's Command. Might look to get a second Obliteration. Was only running 2 Duress out of the sideboard (and 3 Transgress main and 1 side) but might bump that back up. Manfield says Languish is actually bad against tokens, I guess because it's the PWs that are the problem, plus Advocate surviving it. So I may need to adjust my play quite a lot. I might take a second Planar Outburst in the 75 for Smashers and Advocates, and maybe a third Ruinous Path for x/5+ fatties and walkers.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

Yeah, I suppose it's not worth it when the deck it's for plays Dromoka's Command. Might look to get a second Obliteration. Was only running 2 Duress out of the sideboard (and 3 Transgress main and 1 side) but might bump that back up. Manfield says Languish is actually bad against tokens, I guess because it's the PWs that are the problem, plus Advocate surviving it. So I may need to adjust my play quite a lot. I might take a second Planar Outburst in the 75 for Smashers and Advocates, and maybe a third Ruinous Path for x/5+ fatties and walkers.

I run 3 ruinous maindeck and almost want to run another out of the board. You don't want a second planar in your 75, you just don't have the room.

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...
That's just like, your opinion man.
BW Vamp/Human

Actually surprised I have not seen anything similar yet. I'm a huge fan of Unruly Mob and aristocrat.

Deck: B/W Vamp/Human

//Main
4 Bone Splinters
4 Indulgent Aristocrat
4 Sanitarium Skeleton
4 Unruly Mob
4 Pious Evangel
4 Dutiful Attendant
4 Vampire Envoy
4 Angelic Purge
2 Hope Against Hope
2 Survive the Night
2 Call the Bloodline
2 Haunted Cloak
11 Swamp
9 Plains

Display deck statistics

Work in progress, also I fancy this a bit of a pauper deck. No testing done yet but I want to run it against the common meta decks and see how it does.

Thoughts Please???

EDIT:
Deck: B/W Vamp/Human

//CREATURES
4 Indulgent Aristocrat
4 Sanitarium Skeleton
4 Unruly Mob
4 Pious Evangel
4 Dutiful Attendant
4 Vampire Envoy

//SPELLS
4 Bone Splinters
4 Angelic Purge
2 Hope Against Hope
2 Call the Bloodline
4 Unnatural Endurance

//LANDS
12 Swamp
8 Plains

Display deck statistics

Mindisgone fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 23, 2016

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Sickening posted:

I run 3 ruinous maindeck and almost want to run another out of the board. You don't want a second planar in your 75, you just don't have the room.

I was thinking an Outburst over a languish, but Avacyn puts me off. Could maybe replace a maindeck Ultimate Price with Ruinous Path.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I've been running this list since SOI dropped, and it's "good enough" that I'm gonna take it to GP Manchester, but if there's anything anyone can suggest re: tweaks:

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/superfriends-for-standard/

I've been testing 2 Hallowed Moonlight main to counter CoCo/Secure, but I've not faced them in tests since.
The 2 Advocates in SB are likely to become Sigarda's.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

mehall posted:

I've been running this list since SOI dropped, and it's "good enough" that I'm gonna take it to GP Manchester, but if there's anything anyone can suggest re: tweaks:

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/superfriends-for-standard/

I've been testing 2 Hallowed Moonlight main to counter CoCo/Secure, but I've not faced them in tests since.
The 2 Advocates in SB are likely to become Sigarda's.

People won't have read how to beat it online and might tilt for that reason. Otherwise I know too little about how it works, if you've tested that the mana works with the fixing and Oath of Nissa. Is 25 land enough?

Whole new topic: Has there been much investigation into Modern Humans? I've toyed with human-subtheme aristocrats to feed Falkenrath Aristocrat, but I like the interaction between Champion of the Parish, Thalia's Lieutenant and Orzhov Charm, also Return to the Ranks. I'd be interested to see how often a Hanweir Militia Captain would get to flip.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

People won't have read how to beat it online and might tilt for that reason. Otherwise I know too little about how it works, if you've tested that the mana works with the fixing and Oath of Nissa. Is 25 land enough?

Whole new topic: Has there been much investigation into Modern Humans? I've toyed with human-subtheme aristocrats to feed Falkenrath Aristocrat, but I like the interaction between Champion of the Parish, Thalia's Lieutenant and Orzhov Charm, also Return to the Ranks. I'd be interested to see how often a Hanweir Militia Captain would get to flip.

It's essentially a much more powerful, but less consistent, version of Seth Manfields deck from the PT. Seth Manfield doubled down after the PT and decided consistency was more important, and cut the blue from his deck, whereas I wanted Chandra and Nahiri for raw power. (And definitely wanted to keep narset as she's great.)
But yeah, I'm not expecting to do overly well, but if I can have a reasonable showing I'd be happy.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

I've got a Naya build going here. Still trying to refine the sideboard. I like Stasis Snare over Dromoka's Command because there are enough creatures that will not trade favorably and there isn't always a Deathmist Raptor on your board. Plus Ohrmendahl, Ulamog, etc. The goal is to search up an Atarka/Linvala with Nahiri.

Deck: Naya

//Lands
4 Canopy Vista
3 Cinder Glade
4 Evolving Wilds
5 Forest
1 Fortified Village
1 Game Trail
1 Mountain
3 Needle Spires
3 Plains

//Spells
1 Chandra, Flamecaller
3 Nahiri, the Harbinger
4 Oath of Nissa
4 Stasis Snare

//Creatures
2 Archangel Avacyn
4 Deathmist Raptor
4 Den Protector
2 Dragonlord Atarka
1 Hidden Dragonslayer
1 Linvala, the Preserver
2 Nissa, Vastwood Seer
4 Sylvan Advocate
3 Tireless Tracker

//Sideboard
2 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
2 Deathcap Cultivator
2 Tragic Arrogance
2 Clip Wings
4 Radiant Flames
2 Silkwrap
1 Dragonlord Dromoka

Display deck statistics

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

This is what I'm considering for GP Manchester this weekend. I dropped an Ultimate Prince in the main for Ruinous Path, and adjusted the sideboard.

//Planeswalkers
2 Sorin, Grim Nemesis
4 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
2 Ob Nixilis Reignited

//Spells
4 Languish
1 Planar Outburst
3 Transgress the Mind
3 Ruinous Path
3 Anguished Unmaking
3 Secure the Wastes
4 Read the Bones
1 Ultimate Price
3 Grasp of Darkness
2 Hallowed Moonlight

//Land
4 Shambling Vent
4 Caves of Koilos
4 Forsaken Sanctuary
3 Westvale Abbey
1 Blighted Fen
6 Swamp
3 Plains

//Sideboard
1 Dark Petition
2 Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
2 Duress
1 Transgress the Mind
2 Thought-Knot Seer
2 Eldrazi Displacer
1 Ultimate Price
1 Infinite Obliteration
1 Linvala, the Preserver
2 Reality Smasher

Figure I can drop Dead Weight since I'm not clear what it's for, and Kalitas is good in matches that are already good.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

This is what I'm considering for GP Manchester this weekend. I dropped an Ultimate Prince in the main for Ruinous Path, and adjusted the sideboard.

//Planeswalkers
2 Sorin, Grim Nemesis
4 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
2 Ob Nixilis Reignited

//Spells
4 Languish
1 Planar Outburst
3 Transgress the Mind
3 Ruinous Path
3 Anguished Unmaking
3 Secure the Wastes
4 Read the Bones
1 Ultimate Price
3 Grasp of Darkness
2 Hallowed Moonlight

//Land
4 Shambling Vent
4 Caves of Koilos
4 Forsaken Sanctuary
3 Westvale Abbey
1 Blighted Fen
6 Swamp
3 Plains

//Sideboard
1 Dark Petition
2 Duress
1 Transgress the Mind
2 Thought-Knot Seer
2 Eldrazi Displacer
1 Ultimate Price
1 Infinite Obliteration
1 Linvala, the Preserver
2 Reality Smasher

Figure I can drop Dead Weight since I'm not clear what it's for, and Kalitas is good in matches that are already good.

I personally don't like the 4 gideons and prefer 3. Lots of better magic players than me still run 4 though. The more games you play, the more often extra gideons are just dead cards in my hand and I can't afford to just chain emblem them. I am also not a fan of 3 transgress maindeck. Too often I find myself killing a creature turn 2 and reading the bones turn 3. The only turn that it fits in the curve is turn 4 and its fighting that turn with gideon. Turn 5+ it just loses its potency. Its also a bad topdeck. 2 feels right.

I prefer kalitas maindeck. Yes your deck is already good vs rites decks but why make the matchup worse if you don't have too? Against everything else you blank thier removal when you side kalitas out and put in smashers. Speaking of smashers, I like 3 myself because they just come in so often.

My list

//Creatures

//Planeswalkers
2 Sorin, Grim Nemesis
3 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
2 Ob Nixilis Reignited

//Spells
4 Languish
1 Planar Outburst
2 Transgress the Mind
3 Ruinous Path
3 Anguished Unmaking
3 Secure the Wastes
4 Read the Bones
1 Ultimate Price
3 Grasp of Darkness
2 Hallowed Moonlight

//Land
4 Shambling Vent
4 Caves of Koilos
3 Forsaken Sanctuary
3 Westvale Abbey
2 Blighted Fen
6 Swamp
3 Plains

//Sideboard
1 Dark Petition
3 Duress
2 Thought-Knot Seer
2 Eldrazi Displacer
2 Ultimate Price
2 Infinite Obliteration
3 Reality Smasher

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Yeah I'm going with that. Just doing trials in Manchester now. Against Bant Company, should I abandon any notion of flipping Abbey? Reflector Mage and Krasis can gently caress with it and I'll probably not be in a good place by then.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA
Isn't ormy hexproof?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Night Danger Moose posted:

Isn't ormy hexproof?

No?

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

It's early, my bad. Thought it had hexproof for some reason.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

BizarroAzrael posted:

Yeah I'm going with that. Just doing trials in Manchester now. Against Bant Company, should I abandon any notion of flipping Abbey? Reflector Mage and Krasis can gently caress with it and I'll probably not be in a good place by then.

Only flip Ormendahl if you've disrupted their hand enough to be confident that you won't get killed by a surprise Reflector Mage/CoCo into Reflector Mage or if you have no other options. Your game will be a lot more grindy but less all in.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

Honestly it depends. If I have tokens out and I am ahead on board, i just put pressure and wait. Its smarter to abbey in response to removal or tapping out. That way you can extra punish if you can emblem/etc in following turns. Abbey is just risky against a deck with white in it but sometimes getting a swing out of it is enough value.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I'm mostly think if I should keep Secure after sideboarding.

By the way, I beat Esper dragons with cleric token beats. Over about 35 minutes.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

I'm mostly think if I should keep Secure after sideboarding.

By the way, I beat Esper dragons with cleric token beats. Over about 35 minutes.

For sure yes. If you are running 4, I would take one out for sure. At the very least I would keep two in the deck because the combo is just that good. The only great answer they have for it is declaration in stone and if they go to 4x for game 2/3 you could blank them a little bit. Another reason why I believe duress is so good against tokens. Making sure you know when to play around a blowout while taking a planeswalker is a big deal.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Here's a really bad gimmick deck that I am trying to make work:

Deck: HISSSSSSSSSSSSSS
//Main
4 Mystic Snake
4 Coiling Oracle
4 Ambush Viper
3 Lorescale Coatl
2 Winged Coatl
3 Wasteland Viper
4 Abrupt Decay
2 Maelstrom Pulse
2 Inquisition of Kozilek
3 Remand
2 Cryptic Command
4 Serum Visions
2 Creeping Tar Pit
3 Breeding Pool
2 Forest
2 Island
3 Misty Rainforest
1 Overgrown Tomb
2 Polluted Delta
1 Sunken Ruins
1 Swamp
1 Flooded Grove
1 Cavern of Souls
1 Twilight Mire
2 Verdant Catacombs
1 Watery Grave

//Sideboard
2 Disfigure
2 Spellskite
2 Melira, Sylvok Outcast
3 Dispel
2 Golgari Charm
2 Relic of Progenitus
1 Creeping Corrosion
1 Scavenging Ooze

Display deck statistics

The gimmick should be pretty obvious. The *idea* of the deck, insofar as this pile can have an idea, is to use the sneakiness of snakes to keep the board clear and then use actual powerful BUG spells to win the game. Creeping Tar Pit is the all star here as far as actually winning the games go. Some thoughts:

Of course you want to put Lotus Cobra in Snakes.dec. I'm not sure how good its ability is when I want to cast a lot of my spells on the opponent's turn, even with fetches
I probably want some more real counterspells for the Tron matchup since I can't ever deal with any of their permanents and I don't win the game quickly. Maybe Deprive is good enough here?
I am light against burn. The usual Green spell, Feed the Clan, isn't particularly good here. Maybe I need to suck it up and find space for Finks
I don't know if I need the relics since the only real graveyard deck is Abzan Company, and I can just kill their poo poo
I have no idea how to build the manabase. I probably need some number of flooded groves? I feel like I want a bunch of creeping tar pits so I can actually win the game. Also I want to fit in a Hissing Quagmire for laffs

Johnny Five-Jaces fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 29, 2016

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Grimey Drawer

AgentSythe posted:

Snaaaaaaakes

Does sorcery speed disqualify Sosuke's Summons for you? With so many snakes, you'd always be able to retrieve it if you needed more chump blockers.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

can you replace ambush viper and wasteland viper with cards that do things

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I especially like the synergy between Lorescale Coatl and Coiling Oracle.

Elyv posted:

Ambush Viper and Wasteland Viper are basically Terminate, proving once and for all that WotC doesn't care about the color pie at all unless they're using it to screw over blue.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

NofrikinfuN posted:

Does sorcery speed disqualify Sosuke's Summons for you? With so many snakes, you'd always be able to retrieve it if you needed more chump blockers.

It's a sideboard possibility for when I just need things to get in the way.

Elyv posted:

Please see:

suicidesteve posted:

Ambush Viper and Wasteland Viper are basically Terminate, proving once and for all that WotC doesn't care about the color pie at all unless they're using it to screw over blue.

The real answer is that maybe I drop one and go up to 4 Lorescale Coatl, but if playing Stompy in modern has taught me anything it is that combat tricks are actually extremely effective because people aren't in that mindset in Modern. I think them both being available at instant speed is pretty hot (via bloodrush for Wasteland Viper)

suicidesteve posted:

That would put the deck over the edge and Wizards would be forced to emergency ban Mystic Snake

One idea that I had, if I am using a bunch of my snakes basically as combat tricks, is that ulvenwald mysteries might have a place somewhere in the deck. I am trying to not have my cards Do Nothing but maybe

Also I need to find a spot for one or two river boas since UWR legitimately cannot deal with that card. e: I mean they can path it but then my opponent has just spent a path on River Boa

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Grimey Drawer

suicidesteve posted:

Do they have synergy? The wording on Oracle is that you are putting a card in your hand. Doesn't it need to say draw specifically to trigger Lorescale Coatl?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

AgentSythe posted:

That would put the deck over the edge and Wizards would be forced to emergency ban Mystic Snake

It's basically the next Lodestone Golem.

AgentSythe posted:

Also I need to find a spot for one or two river boas since UWR legitimately cannot deal with that card

Good thing it has pro-white!

NofrikinfuN posted:

Do they have synergy? The wording on Oracle is that you are putting a card in your hand. Doesn't it need to say draw specifically to trigger Lorescale Coatl?

:thejoke:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Sickening posted:

My list

//Creatures

//Planeswalkers
2 Sorin, Grim Nemesis
3 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
2 Ob Nixilis Reignited

//Spells
4 Languish
1 Planar Outburst
2 Transgress the Mind
3 Ruinous Path
3 Anguished Unmaking
3 Secure the Wastes
4 Read the Bones
1 Ultimate Price
3 Grasp of Darkness
2 Hallowed Moonlight

//Land
4 Shambling Vent
4 Caves of Koilos
3 Forsaken Sanctuary
3 Westvale Abbey
2 Blighted Fen
6 Swamp
3 Plains

//Sideboard
1 Dark Petition
3 Duress
2 Thought-Knot Seer
2 Eldrazi Displacer
2 Ultimate Price
2 Infinite Obliteration
3 Reality Smasher

Since Fabrizio Anteri got his arse DQed I don't think there's much hope of discussing my GP run in the main thread, but this wen't great. I fell just short of Day 2 at 5/3/1, but it's the first time I've stuck with a GP to the last round. I barely played anything but GW tokens and Company all day, except for the first round (opponent didn't show up) and a Naya ramp deck around round 4 or so. At least they are the most relevant matches in the meta, with the mirror in third.

The draw came against tokens, the first game took about 30 minutes after he resolved Evolutionary Leap T2 on the play. I had a Anguished Unmaking in hand, but his T3 was Nissa, so I took her instead. I think it still would have been better to get the enchantment now, although it wasn't easy for him to win through my removal, and I did get close myself, I think a topdecked Dromoka's Command for an extra point of combat damage did it for him.

One round I kept both Hallowed Moonlight in my opening hand, I think with Bones, Ultimate Price and 3 land, and found I was against Bant Company, so T2 kill jace, T3 Bones, T4 counter CoCo, T5 counter his second CoCo. Brutal.

The extra Blighted Fen has been great, both for Eldrazi casting and the look of horror on opponents faces when Reality Smasher comes down to kill their walkers, and general trickiness. On one occasion all my opponent could do was flash in Avacyn to block Gideon, which was futile because of it, I don't think I even had cards in hand. But when you have nothing else, the best you can do is hope the opponent doesn't understand the board. Many are the times I've seen or heard of people doing something like flash in Avacyn and swinging in their own turn against an enemy walker, missing that the said enemy is at 1-4 life.

Big lesson, and it might be obvious to some, is the understand of how Sorin and Ob Nix can act as win conditions, and not just on card advantage or ultimates (I've yet to even conceive of a situation I would rather ultimate Sorin than use his other abilities) Against creature-based decks, if they untap with one of them on the other side of the board and no creature of their own, they have probably lost, especially if they have already ticked up. Maybe a lucky CoCo AND a Krasis if they have the mana, but then they've committed a lot to the board against a deck with sweepers.

So I'm glad to have probably figured out the most important matches in the format. I'm going to try and play a few more big standard event before Eldritch Moon changes things, I really like this deck, probably one of my favourites with Blasphemous Act Aristocrats, Scars/INN BR Zombies and RTR/Theros BW control.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So you B/W control players are liking 1 ultimate price and 3 ruinous path vs 2/2. Seems smart against Tokens.
How have you guys liked siding in Eldrazi and when? So far I just have 3 Smashers in my board.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Does anyone have a link for the deckbuilding thread for around RTR/THS standard?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Right here. What for?

Thinking about updates for BW Control; I think it can take a third Hallowed Moonlight as it's relevant against so much of the field. To the Slaughter might be good against GW Tokens but might need Delirium active. Might be time to look at some Declaration in Stone in the 75 for tokens and tough dudes.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

Right here. What for?

Thinking about updates for BW Control; I think it can take a third Hallowed Moonlight as it's relevant against so much of the field. To the Slaughter might be good against GW Tokens but might need Delirium active. Might be time to look at some Declaration in Stone in the 75 for tokens and tough dudes.

Check out the decklist owen took to the GP and top 8'd with. He is saying its the best deck in standard. I am sure he would tweak even that list after the GP, but that is a powerful statement from someone who is probably the best magic player in the world.

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=12557&d=272484&f=ST

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Sickening posted:

Check out the decklist owen took to the GP and top 8'd with. He is saying its the best deck in standard. I am sure he would tweak even that list after the GP, but that is a powerful statement from someone who is probably the best magic player in the world.

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=12557&d=272484&f=ST

He also did a tuning article on CFB yesterday: http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/tuning-bw-control/

He seems to find a reason to bring in the Bearer of Silence quite a bit, think I need to see some games with it. I really, really like having Reality Smasher though.

• Locked thread