Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

JOHN CENA posted:

demonic pact. it'll never ever work but hey may as well go for it
Ah, missed that also in the SB. What would you be taking out to add that combo, and when? Seems like the type of thing to either have in a deck or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Yawgmoth posted:

Ah, missed that also in the SB. What would you be taking out to add that combo, and when? Seems like the type of thing to either have in a deck or not.

probably the grasps and paths. there seems to be enough removal in there otherwise.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
I don't understand what the Crumble To Dusts are supposed to be for. Transgress would be better to protect your combos.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

little munchkin posted:

I don't understand what the Crumble To Dusts are supposed to be for. Transgress would be better to protect your combos.

Get rid of painlands

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered
Having just come back after a long hiatus, I'm working putting together a modest-budget ($75) Standard deck for a local FNM group, based on the recent UR Thermo-thing deck. I've picked that deck as a starting place because it's a neat mix of interesting effects, control, and burn, and the budget is pretty modest. In addition, since I'm just coming back, I'm interested in a deck that survives the next rotation basically unchanged.

Without further ado:

Deck: Rotatable UR Thermo-Thing

//Creatures
3 Thing in the Ice
4 Thermo-Alchemist

//Planeswalkers
2 Jace, Unraveler of Secrets

//Enchantments
4 Fevered Visions

//Instants
2 Dispel
2 Unsubstantiate
2 Fiery Temper
2 Lightning Axe
2 Geistblast
4 Galvanic Bombardment

//Sorceries
3 Collective Defiance
2 Nahiri's Wrath
2 Incendiary Flow
2 Tormenting Voice

//Lands
2 Geier Reach Sanitarium
4 Highland Lake
5 Island
9 Mountain
4 Wandering Fumarole

//Sideboard
2 Bedlam Reveler
1 Collective Defiance
2 Compelling Deterrence
1 Incendiary Flow
2 Kozilek's Return
2 Negate
1 Spell Shrivel
2 Summary Dismissal
2 Weaver of Lightning

Display deck statistics

Geistblast is an experiment to see if it can provide some secondary burn in a pinch, but more importantly protect key spells against being countered/quelled; thoughts on the viability of that strategy would be great. I could also use a lot of help on the sideboard, which right now is really just a rough guess as to things that might be useful. I'm also still using Radiant Flames in the sideboard instead of KR until I trade for some of those.

EDIT: After doing hte math, I'm going to stick with Fiery Impulse over Galvanic Bombardment. The odds of draw enough Galvanic Bombardments for it to be worth it aren't high enough, especially if you ever want to sideboard out just one or two of them.

Borachon fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Aug 11, 2016

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Reminder that Geistblast-enabled copies don't remove ice counters from Thing in the Ice.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

Borachon posted:

Having just come back after a long hiatus, I'm working putting together a modest-budget ($75) Standard deck for a local FNM group, based on the recent UR Thermo-thing deck. I've picked that deck as a starting place because it's a neat mix of interesting effects, control, and burn, and the budget is pretty modest. In addition, since I'm just coming back, I'm interested in a deck that survives the next rotation basically unchanged.

Without further ado:

Deck: Rotatable UR Thermo-Thing

//Creatures
3 Thing in the Ice
4 Thermo-Alchemist

//Planeswalkers
2 Jace, Unraveler of Secrets

//Enchantments
4 Fevered Visions

//Instants
2 Dispel
2 Unsubstantiate
2 Fiery Temper
2 Lightning Axe
2 Geistblast
4 Galvanic Bombardment

//Sorceries
3 Collective Defiance
2 Nahiri's Wrath
2 Incendiary Flow
2 Tormenting Voice

//Lands
2 Geier Reach Sanitarium
4 Highland Lake
5 Island
9 Mountain
4 Wandering Fumarole

//Sideboard
2 Bedlam Reveler
1 Collective Defiance
2 Compelling Deterrence
1 Incendiary Flow
2 Kozilek's Return
2 Negate
1 Spell Shrivel
2 Summary Dismissal
2 Weaver of Lightning

Display deck statistics

Geistblast is an experiment to see if it can provide some secondary burn in a pinch, but more importantly protect key spells against being countered/quelled; thoughts on the viability of that strategy would be great. I could also use a lot of help on the sideboard, which right now is really just a rough guess as to things that might be useful. I'm also still using Radiant Flames in the sideboard instead of KR until I trade for some of those.

EDIT: After doing hte math, I'm going to stick with Fiery Impulse over Galvanic Bombardment. The odds of draw enough Galvanic Bombardments for it to be worth it aren't high enough, especially if you ever want to sideboard out just one or two of them.

I've been putting together Thermo-Thing as well, but instead of Jaces of any kind, I'm going with Curious Homonculus//Voracious Reader.

I may get cute in the sideboard and put Harmless Offering in place of Bedlam Reveler to pass off Goldnight Castigators for surprise burn wins.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Can confirm that Voracious Reader is kind of absurd in the right situations. It's relevant more often than you may imagine.

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered
Pedro Carvhalo, how originated the Thermo-Thing deck at Sydney, has a really nice discussion of the deck at channel fireball, including it origins and evolution, card selection reasons, and sideboarding.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Borachon posted:

Pedro Carvhalo, how originated the Thermo-Thing deck at Sydney, has a really nice discussion of the deck at channel fireball, including it origins and evolution, card selection reasons, and sideboarding.

Can confirm, great read.

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered
Would you cut to 22 lands and run 4 Homunculi?

I'm not convinced by Curious Homunculus, to be honest. It doesn't really help with the lost discard source from losing JvP, early as a mana dork your opponent has lots of chances to remove it, and late where it'll transform on the next turn it dies the same way (importantly including Liliana's +1). I'm also not sure we need the mana given how cheap most spells are most spells are. Using big Jace, Bedlam Reveler, or Goblin Dark Dwellers, on the other hand, gives a really good late-game top-deck and synergizes well with Nahiri's Wrath.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Nah, stay with 24 lands.

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered
Okay, with two Homunculi, you have roughly a 33% chance to have one by turn 5 on the play. I can see it having impact through early mid-game to accelerate burn and get a sizeable body on the board cheap, but that's not a great chance of getting one. How much impact does it have later in the game when you probably have many lands, cheap spells, and not that many cards in hand? Late game it seems either pointless or win more, while big Jace, Bedlam Reveler, or Goblin Dark Dwellers could help break a stalled game or turn around one where you're behind.

EDIT: Played some last night, and big Jace wasn't a help unless the games went long, which this deck tries to avoid. Thing in the Ice was also either removed very quickly or a dead draw later in the game. I'm probably going to switch to 2x Bedlam Revelers instead of 2x Jace, Unraveler, and 3x Stormchaser Mage instead of 3x Thing in the Ice.

Borachon fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 13, 2016

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

I tried to make a deck for GameDay, it did not go well.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/lily-and-the-zombies/

Any suggestions before I implement my own thoughts? I just want to see if what I'm thinking about why the deck did so poorly is me overthinking or on the right track.

I got smoked (hard) by Bant Company 0-2 without doing much of anything, I lost to BG Delirium 2-1 and had some good attempts but Emrakul beat me one game and Writhing Township got me quick in another. I can't remember the third game I had, but my two wins came against a BR Vampire Madness deck that was okay and a WB Control + Zombies deck that never really got started 2 out of 3 games.

I think I need to ditch the eldrazi idea and focus more on recursion or flopping zombies into the graveyard and maybe come up with a solid sideboard plan vs the green decks that really get rolling on turn 6-7 that doesn't necessarily involve languishing my own dudes away too but I'm not 100% sure of where to go here honestly. Or, go hard on Eldrazi and do 8x eldrazi instead of half-assing it at 4x and try to get more 3-4CMC dudes out?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
My friends are trying to get me back into Magic, and while I'm not exactly flush with cash right now, playing 'dreamdeck Casual' online with the outside chance I might ever build the things, I have a Standard and two Modern decks that I threw together because this is what I do with my free time, apparently.

Pitching Mad Zombies (Standard)

## Mainboard (60)
### Sorcery (16)
* 4 Alms of the Vein
* 3 Cemetery Recruitment
* 3 From Under The Floorboards
* 3 Gisa's Bidding
* 3 Murderous Compulsion

### Creature (14)
* 4 Cryptbreaker
* 4 Diregraf Colossus
* 4 Relentless Dead
* 2 Voldaren Pariah

### Land (24)
* 22 Swamp
* 2 Westvale Abbey

### Instant (3)
* 3 Altar's Reap

### Enchantment (3)
* 3 Sinister Concoction

## Sideboard (?)
?????

Cryptbreaker + Madness + Relentless Dead = Profit???

The initial prototype of this deck was monoblack Delirium, but while I was trying to find ways to make that work, I ended up stumbling into a much more reliable 'pure' zombie self-discard deck. Relatively small amount of creatures for a deck like this, which is hopefully covered by the combination of Relentless Dead's recursion, and a metric fuckton of Zombie tokens. When something bigger is needed, a bunch of them can be popped for Pariah or Westvale. I'm also a huge fan of Madness-cost Alms of the Vein for a six-life swing for B.

I feel like this one is pretty straightforward. I don't know what I'd do with the sideboard. Are there any decent ways in black to deal with Hexproof and/or Indestructible fliers? I considered Graf Harvest, but would that be worthwhile? If so, what would I pull for it?

# [Faithless Phoenix](*, Modern)

## Mainboard (71)
### Instant (18)
* 4 [Fiery Temper](*)
* 3 [Gut Shot](*)
* 4 [Lightning Bolt](*)
* 3 [Pyretic Ritual](*)
* 4 [Searing Blaze](*)

### Sorcery (13)
* 4 [Faithless Looting](*)
* 3 [Grapeshot](*)
* 4 [Lava Spike](*)
* 2 [Reforge the Soul](*)

### Land (23)
* 23 [Mountain](*)

### Creature (6)
* 3 [Chandra's Phoenix](*)
* 3 [Reckless Wurm](*)

## Sideboard (11)
* 3 [Dismember](*)
* 4 [Guttural Response](*)
* 4 [Shattering Spree](*)

This is the latest evolution of an RDW I've been working on on-and-off for years called Sinister Serpent, named after a Yu-Gi-Oh card that got banned for trivializing discard costs.

The core combo of the deck is Faithless Looting plus Chandra's Phoenix, letting me repeatedly pitch the same cards over and over in exchange for just doing some life damage in between, which is something I'm going to want to do anyways. I think it might even be fair to call this a 'budget' Modern deck, given that the most expensive maindeck card is Lava Spike and even that could reasonably be replaced with Burst Lightning. Grapeshot is the expected finishing move, especially if it's the turn of/turn after a miracled RtS.

Biggest problem I can see is that I don't really have anything to deal with Leyline of Sanctity, etc. Any options for SBing against that would be greatly appreciated.

# [You're Gonna Start A Howl!](*, Modern)

## Mainboard (75)
### Creature (26)
* 4 [Kessig Prowler](*)
* 4 [Master of the Wild Hunt](*)
* 4 [Mayor of Avabruck](*)
* 4 [Spirit of the Hunt](*)
* 4 [Timberpack Wolf](*)
* 2 [Witchstalker](*)
* 4 [Young Wolf](*)

### Land (24)
* 21 [Forest](*)
* 3 [Oran-Rief, the Vastwood](*)

### Instant (4)
* 4 [Moonlight Hunt](*)

### Sorcery (2)
* 2 [Harmonize](*)

### Enchantment (4)
* 4 [Howlpack Resurgence](*)

## Sideboard (15)
* 3 [Beast Within](*)
* 3 [Gleeful Sabotage](*)
* 3 [Hermit of the Natterknolls](*)
* 4 [Tormod's Crypt](*)
* 2 [Witchstalker](*)

Howlpack Resurgence is really loving good, holy poo poo. This deck would also be absurdly cheap if I found a decent replacement for Master of the Hunt (who is unfortunately sitting pretty at something like $15 each). Not much to say about this one. Play wolves, make wolves eat faces, use Moonlight Hunt as removal.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Here's a deck.
http://deck.tk/7v3U7IT4

It's the first deck I've built since the mid 90. It's a tuned version of what I came up with in a draft at work. Since MTG has virtually no friction of play I figured I'd take it out on a Friday night. Will it get smoked? Does it have holes?

Deck: Vegitarian Lycanthropy

//Lands
20 Forest
2 Nephalia Academy
2 Westvale Abbey

//Spells
2 Howlpack Resurgence
2 Prey Upon
2 Root Out
4 Waxing Moon

//Creatures
2 Cult of the Waxing Moon
1 Decimator of the Provinces
4 Duskwatch Recruiter
1 Emrakul, the Promised End
2 Hermit of the Natterknolls
4 Kessig Prowler
4 Shrill Howler
2 Silverfur Partisan
4 Tangleclaw Werewolf
2 Ulvenwald Captive

//Sideboard
2 Root Out
2 Seasons Past
2 Vessel of Nascency
2 Splendid Reclamation
2 Prey Upon
3 Moonlight Hunt
2 Traverse the Ulvenwald

Display deck statistics

I don't have any budget limits but I'm reluctant to get anything older than SOI. I would consider I would consider Zandikar/Oaths but I see no reason to bother with Collected Company since its on its way out.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I've decided to move into pauper. I think it's a neat format, and was looking at the current meta game but nothing caught my interest. I dabbled in infect, and I'm still working on that, but I saw a monoblack deck and thought it was cool.

I've managed to put this deck together, but so far I've had trouble winning with it. My last couple losses have been due to drawing on an empty library (not enough creatures? I've added one or two) and just getting outpaced with creatures.

I've noticed I had trouble with enemy enchantments as well as a lack of targeted control. I've seen this deck run a few Cuombajj Witches, but those are easily 3 bucks each online. I was trying to build around them, but now I'm thinking they may be worth it. Do you guys have any holes to poke? Or are my losses just that I'm bad at magic?

Deck list:
Deck: Mono black control

//Main
4 Gray Merchant of Asphodel
4 Phyrexian Rager
2 Gurmag Angler
2 Disfigure
4 Sign in Blood
2 Victim of Night
2 Tendrils of Corruption
18 Swamp
1 Bojuka Bog
4 Chittering Rats
3 Liliana's Specter
4 Barren Moor
2 Oubliette
1 Pestilence
2 Unearth
2 Chainer's Edict
3 Geth's Verdict

//Sideboard
3 Duress
2 Font of Return
2 Shrivel
4 Choking Sands
1 Nihil Spellbomb

Display deck statistics

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I see two problems, IMO:
1. Your creature spread is way too backheavy, but those creatures don't really justify the control shell.
2. No wincon.

You don't have a single creature with a CMC of less than 3, which might be part of the problem. I don't think your permanent set-up right now justifies four Merchants, you're not really playing a proper Devotion deck ATM.

A drat shame Wall of Bone is uncommon, because that might solve a lot of your problems.

Honestly, you might do well to lean less into your scattershot of monoblack weird pseudocontrol and more in a particular direction. Extort feels like it'd be good with your deck. A playset of Basilica Screecher could go far, I think? Other things I would consider:

Fog of Gnats Flying, regenerates for B.
Kjeldoran Dead 3/1, regenerates for B.
Thrull Surgeon has repeatable discard, if you wanna lean that direction.
Sultai Scavenger might be better than Angler in your deck.

I'd also replace Merchant with either Hound of the Farbogs if you think you can reliably get a creature, a land, a sorcery and an instant in grave by, say, turn 6. If not, then Twisted Abomination or Zombie Boa, depending on if you need to punchface or killdudes.

Edit Never mind, I'm an idiot. Still gently recommend Fog of Gnats though.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Aug 22, 2016

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I don't mean this in a condescending way but are you familiar with pauper and if so, mono black control? It's a very good deck and he has the main shell of it together other than witches and oubliettes. Suggesting to replace grey merchant with a bad delirium cards that dies to bolt is kinda strange. Grey merchant is a house and absolutely steals games.

Extort is a whole other neat deck all by itself.

Edit: actually now I see the oubliettes so nevermind. Just spend a little extra on those witches and go to town.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
Ya except for the lack of witches that is a pretty stock MBC list. The wincon is burying your opponent in 2-for-1s.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Extort is a whole other neat deck all by itself.

After testing it a bunch I disagree about it being a deck. It wasn't good enough to even justify playing casually.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

My info is spotty, I was just going on the feelings of not having many creatures, I probably should have thought a little harder before trying to sound like an authority. Though I stick by my Fog of Gnats suggestion. (It's even BB instead of 1B, an actual benefit in this case.)

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I thought the witches might be key. Think 3 would be enough? Also what should I swap out? I was thinking of main decking shrivel too, but that might be knee jerk to the fact I just recently lost to a bunch of 1/1 drops.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Haven't played standard in about two months. Before that I was on a u/w fliers/spirits brew and Saito's r/u fliers list.

Did spell queller make u/w spirits into a real deck?

Are there any insane tempo decks like the R/Ufliers list right now?

I am open to advice on weird niche decks like those two!

For standard.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
People tried UW spirits decks with spell queller but the verdict was that it was basically a worse version of bant company. Bant does run four spell quellers now though.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I kind of massively overhauled my black Zombie deck. It's now UB. I'd call it midrange, cause I can either go for zombie aggro, or play control until I can pop off an Abbey.

# [Zombies Go To Church, Too!](*)
by [PoisonMushroom](*)

## Mainboard (60)
### Creature (16)
* 4 [Cryptbreaker](*)
* 3 [Diregraf Colossus](*)
* 2 [Haunted Dead](*)
* 3 [Prized Amalgam](*)
* 4 [Relentless Dead](*)

### Instant (9)
* 2 [Altar's Reap](*)
* 3 [Just the Wind](*)
* 4 [Negate](*)

### Land (24)
* 4 [Choked Estuary](*)
* 4 [Island](*)
* 4 [Sunken Hollow](*)
* 9 [Swamp](*)
* 3 [Westvale Abbey](*)

### Sorcery (7)
* 4 [Alms of the Vein](*)
* 3 [From Under the Floorboards](*)

### Enchantment (4)
* 4 [Sinister Concoction](*)

## Sideboard (15)
* 4 [Dispel](*)
* 2 [Geralf's Masterpiece](*)
* 3 [Pick the Brain](*)
* 3 [Talent of the Telepath](*)
* 3 [To the Slaughter](*)

Bant still makes a mess of me, though. Suggestions, especially sideboard?

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Aug 22, 2016

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Poison Mushroom posted:

I kind of massively overhauled my black Zombie deck. It's now UB. I'd call it midrange, cause I can either go for zombie aggro, or play control until I can pop off an Abbey.

# [Zombies Go To Church, Too!](*)
by [PoisonMushroom](*)

## Mainboard (60)
### Creature (16)
* 4 [Cryptbreaker](*)
* 3 [Diregraf Colossus](*)
* 2 [Haunted Dead](*)
* 3 [Prized Amalgam](*)
* 4 [Relentless Dead](*)

### Instant (9)
* 2 [Altar's Reap](*)
* 3 [Just the Wind](*)
* 4 [Negate](*)

### Land (24)
* 4 [Choked Estuary](*)
* 4 [Island](*)
* 4 [Sunken Hollow](*)
* 9 [Swamp](*)
* 3 [Westvale Abbey](*)

### Sorcery (7)
* 4 [Alms of the Vein](*)
* 3 [From Under the Floorboards](*)

### Enchantment (4)
* 4 [Sinister Concoction](*)

## Sideboard (15)
* 4 [Dispel](*)
* 2 [Geralf's Masterpiece](*)
* 3 [Pick the Brain](*)
* 3 [Talent of the Telepath](*)
* 3 [To the Slaughter](*)

Bant still makes a mess of me, though. Suggestions, especially sideboard?

Why Alms of the Vein instead of more creatures? Nantuko Husk or Stitched Mangler or Fleshbag Marauder? Or even Grasp of Darkness?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Soul Glo posted:

Why Alms of the Vein instead of more creatures? Nantuko Husk or Stitched Mangler or Fleshbag Marauder? Or even Grasp of Darkness?
Mostly because the Madness cast when I pitch it for Cryptbreaker/Sinister Concoction is really good value.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Poison Mushroom posted:

Mostly because the Madness cast when I pitch it for Cryptbreaker/Sinister Concoction is really good value.

How many cards do you get when you make the opponent lose 3 life? You're clearly not playing an aggro deck.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

uninverted posted:

How many cards do you get when you make the opponent lose 3 life? You're clearly not playing an aggro deck.
I do want something I can pitch for Madness, at least. What about Nagging Thoughts, or Gisa's Bidding?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Poison Mushroom posted:

I do want something I can pitch for Madness, at least. What about Nagging Thoughts, or Gisa's Bidding?

Gisa's Bidding would probably be fine, Welcome to the Fold would probably be okay too if you really want madness, but it isn't really that important when you get value just by pitching cards in your graveyard in the first place.

You have a lot of stuff you can use to get back creatures or synergizes with having lots of creatures in your graveyard. It would be better for you to pitch another zombie that results in your Diregraf Colossus being a 3/3 and being able to attack through your opponents 2/3, that will equal a lot more damage, card advantage, and board control as the game goes on. I would definitely play 4 Haunted Dead, 4 Diregraf Colossus, and 4 Prized Amalgam as well because the recursion is really powerful and they're good targets to pitch. It's also probably better to play more permanent removal spells as well over bounce spells.

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered
Use another Prized Amalgam to pitch for madness instead. You really want as many of them in the graveyard as you can for when you bring back a zombie from the graveyard.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Turns out I have all the cards for Bant Company, should I just bite the bullet and play it for the few remaining weeks until rotation?

I've been trying for so long to avoid it, but I just want to smash out some Spell Quellers and go hog wild.

OR should I brew up a jeskai spirits/fevered visions wombo combo deck? Because that seems super tempting (just the U/W spirits tempo shell with fevered visions and some burn)

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Just brew it!

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

You can play the best deck in the format for free and haven't played it yet? Why not, it seems like a fun time at least once. If it turns out not to be a fun time, you can shelve it.

Elyv fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 30, 2016

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Elyv posted:

You can play the best deck in the format for free and haven't played it yet? Why not, it seems like a fun time at least once. If it turns out not to be a fun time, you can shelve it.

I was on Saito's R/U fliers list before Eldritch Moon came out, and G/B aristocrats before that. But I haven't even had time for a casual game in the last 2 months since I've been working 70 hours a week across my three jobs.

But I mean, if I find some standard time I think I'll definitely give company a quick FNM or two.

Then once CoCo rotates out I can go back to playing weird spirit tribal all day erryday.

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008
I'd like to share with you all something I've been working on for about two years now. When I got into modern I decided that my objective was to make a deck that works in my favorite color pairing: Mardu. After trying multiple archetypes and strategies I think I've come upon a legitimately competitive deck that I call Mardudes.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/modern-mardudes/

The original core idea was making my pet card, Monastery Mentor, work in modern. And trust me, that card is bonkers. But it takes a lot of finessing to get the real value out of it. If you just jam it into the common jund-esque versions of Mardu you're doing yourself a disservice. So I built a more aggro/tempo kind of deck that capitalizes on him as well as Young Peezy and have been seriously impressed with the results.

This deck is an absolute house against a wide part of the Modern field, being a backbreaker against most any "fair" deck in the format while having some of the best answers to the unfair side as well.

I'm phone posting at work but this is my baby and I've really wanted to share it with others. It's deceptively powerful and adaptive and I sincerely believe that if there was enough interest and people working on it it could be a real tier deck. If anyone is interested I'd love to go into more depth on the deck any my card choices. And even more so, I highly recommend anyone with the interest sleeve up this 75 and give it a shot!

Typhus733 fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 30, 2016

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
You don't want faithless looting unless you're abusing the graveyard in a bigger way.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I'd highly recommend finding room for at least 1 Sorin, Solemn Visitor. I have a local friend who plays a similar mardu tokens deck he's been working on but instead of looting he plays a few copies each of nights whisper and painful truths to keep his hand stocked with spells. He also plays 2 Sorin and they can be incredibly hard to overcome if he managed to stick a Pyromancer or mentor beforehand.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I've seen a couple decks like this and they look super-sweet, but yeah they always have one or two Sorin SV so I agree with Fingers that you should get some. If you have any from playing Standard then BFZ Gideon might be a good pickup too, for token generation and Anthem potential (I want to tell you to include Intangible Virtue as well but you have some decent non-token creatures so that card's not as good).

Selfless Spirit might be good SB tech too if you see a lot of sweepers in your meta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008

uninverted posted:

You don't want faithless looting unless you're abusing the graveyard in a bigger way.

Looting, counterintuitive as it may seem, is an all-star in this. It provides so much value in filtering draws that the card disadvantage rarely matters. You can really die from drawing the wrong half of the deck in some match-ups and Looting helps smooth out some of those issues while also being really useful against Rock style decks in the late game. Pitching lands you've saved up to a looting in the yard has explicitly gotten me there against a hellbent Jund opponent multiple times.

C-Euro posted:

I've seen a couple decks like this and they look super-sweet, but yeah they always have one or two Sorin SV so I agree with Fingers that you should get some. If you have any from playing Standard then BFZ Gideon might be a good pickup too, for token generation and Anthem potential (I want to tell you to include Intangible Virtue as well but you have some decent non-token creatures so that card's not as good).

Selfless Spirit might be good SB tech too if you see a lot of sweepers in your meta.

This deck is so loving sweet, it's why I just needed to share it. It's insanely fun and rewarding while also letting you feel like a smug jerk as you steal games with a Zealous Persecution (which people rarely expect and get blown out by a lot).

I actually ran Sorin in almost every build of Mardu but this one. He's been on my shortlist to give a shot but I feel he acts mostly as a kind of "win more" button. He's definitely powerful but most useful when I already have a board and in match-ups that I'm already fairly well positioned. The lifelink has been absolutely clutch before though, in a burn/zoo heavy meta he's definitely not the worst.

Intangible Virtue is absolutely bonkers with Mentor. 2/2 Prowess Vigilance beaters? Yes please. It's even cuter when you consider that IV itself triggers Prowess. For this version of the deck I've tried to trim every bit of fat (I consider the Collective Brutality to be the only real flex spot left in the main) but man is IV one of my favorite cards to jam for synergy over raw individual power.

• Locked thread