Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
A+ thread title.

To shift gears a bit, apparently the closest store to me is doing a Pauper FNM tonight, and part of me wants to build a deck to be ready for the next one they do. Does anyone have a good rundown of some of the premier archetypes for the format? I feel like this came up in the previous Brewhaus.

E: Going through my Deckbox I noticed I had an Izzet Blitz list saved from a while back-
Deck: Izzet Blitz

//Lands
8 Island
8 Mountain
2 Swiftwater Cliffs

//Spells
3 Apostle's Blessing
2 Artful Dodge
2 Assault Strobe
4 Dispel
4 Lightning Bolt
2 Manamorphose
4 Mutagenic Growth
4 Ponder
2 Slip Through Space
3 Temur Battle Rage

//Creatures
4 Delver of Secrets
4 Kiln Fiend
4 Nivix Cyclops

//Sideboard
2 Annul
3 Electrickery
2 Magma Spray
3 Pyroblast
1 Temur Battle Rage
4 Vapor Snag

Display deck statistics

Thoughts?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

AlternateNu posted:

I'm tweaking B/W tokens to add a little spice to it. Bolts give you reach, and people need to start respecting Rabblemaster again. I, admittedly, don't have a lot of access to modern match-ups, so any analysis would be useful.

Deck: Mardu Tokens

Would Monastery Swiftspear be too out-of-focus? Every time I see a Mardu midrange/token-y build there's a few of those, especially with how many spells you're running.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

caiman posted:

Total beginner building my first deck. Modern. http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/zombie-shitstorm/

If you really want to stick with Zombie tribal, a guy at my old LGS used to run this list with quite a bit of success against "better" decks-

Deck: Zombie Aggro

//Lands
4 Darkslick Shores
4 Drowned Catacomb
12 Swamp

//Spells
3 Countersquall
4 Geth's Verdict
3 Mortarpod
4 Thoughtseize
4 Tragic Slip

//Creatures
4 Diregraf Captain
4 Diregraf Ghoul
4 Geralf's Messenger
4 Gravecrawler
3 Phantasmal Image
3 Phyrexian Obliterator

//Sideboard
3 Cavern of Souls
4 Leyline of Sanctity
4 Spell Pierce
4 Surgical Extraction

Display deck statistics

If budget is an issue you can definitely get away without the SB Caverns of Souls, and probably be fine swapping out the Obliterators for one of your other Zombie lords; taking out those six cards cuts like half the price off of the deck. The caveat is that this list is over a year old and maybe gets stomped by other decks in a super-obvious way. Just food for thought.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Soul Glo posted:

I took your advice, and here's where I've ended up. The cards got here today, everything's sleeved up and it's going to my LGS with me tonight in case I can get a side-game in before the draft starts.

Modern Red Deck 8-Whack

Pretty much part goblin deck, mostly a regular ol' mono red deck. I think it'll be fun to play even if it's nowhere near top tier; I like to play Aggro, in any case.

As for sideboard, I think a Boiling Earth-type card for token decks (pretty sure there's strictly better "deal 1 damage to every creature" cards than Boiling Earth since I won't be using its Awaken option), Smash to Smithereens for Affinity, Roast for Eldrazi/bigger creature decks, and that's about all I know of? Where else should I aim for the sideboard?

I think you're a little burn-heavy for a deck that wants to win by going wide. I'd cut some burn for 4x Krenko's Command, you might even try to work in a couple Hordeling Outbursts if you're feeling particularly sassy.
I like the SB options that munchkin already put out there, plus Electrickery for anti-token tech.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Oraculum Animi posted:

This is what I'm taking to my modern FNM tomorrow. I know the meta usually has G/R Tron, G/U Infect (or three), Affinity, and sometimes Jund. Coco Cord is also becoming somewhat popular, hence the Cages.

Deck: Naya Burn

I feel like I see Lightning Helix mainboarded in Burn more often than not, but I couldn't tell you what to switch out in this case. Maybe Grim Lavamancer? If you do move them to your main I would put more Molten Rains in your sideboard to fill the gap, all of the decks you listed in your metagame either lean heavily on non-basics or are running manlands that you'll be hard-pressed to deal with otherwise.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Oraculum Animi posted:

I considered dropping 4 Skullcrack for 2 Lightning Helix and 2 Shard Volley. That would get me another Molten Rain and another... Dragon's Claw? I've lost a game when I was playing G/B Infect where someone used Skullcrack when I blocked with a Phyrexian Crusader so that's hung up in my head.

No I'd definitely keep Skullcrack somewhere in the deck. Maybe do a 2/2 split on Skullcrack and put Lightning Helix in those free MB slots?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

AlternateNu posted:

Shambling Attendants + Eldritch Evolution = Progenitus

Discuss.

How do you get seven cards in your graveyard by the start of turn 2? Turn 3?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Balon posted:

Turn 1: Fetch, Git Probe, Mind Scour yourself.
Turn 2: fetch, play attendants for 2.
Turn 3: land, evolution in to progenitus.

Currently the only deck I know that could fill the yard like this is grixis delver but filling your yard aint hard in modern.

Oh yeah, that doesn't sound too terrible. Though I do agree with going the slightly less mana intensive route.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I've seen a couple decks like this and they look super-sweet, but yeah they always have one or two Sorin SV so I agree with Fingers that you should get some. If you have any from playing Standard then BFZ Gideon might be a good pickup too, for token generation and Anthem potential (I want to tell you to include Intangible Virtue as well but you have some decent non-token creatures so that card's not as good).

Selfless Spirit might be good SB tech too if you see a lot of sweepers in your meta.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Sickening posted:

New and improved JUNK.

Thoughts:

The mana base is so much better with fast lands the deck feels 1000x less clunky. In a world of aggro, you need your first 3 lands to come in untapped. I am running only 6 fetches in this list and I am sure pros will include more, but I am happy with the limited fetches atm.

In testing, the deck can both interact early or be aggressive early. I don't know how much I love the nobles yet, as I feel like I want to drop them and go to 23 lands, but I feel like I need to give them more time.

Deck: Junk

//Lands
3 Blooming Marsh
3 Concealed Courtyard
1 Forest
1 Gavony Township
1 Godless Shrine
1 Overgrown Tomb
1 Plains
2 Shambling Vent
2 Swamp
1 Temple Garden
4 Verdant Catacombs
2 Windswept Heath

//Spells
3 Abrupt Decay
2 Collective Brutality
3 Inquisition of Kozilek
3 Liliana of the Veil
4 Lingering Souls
1 Murderous Cut
1 Nihil Spellbomb
4 Path to Exile
3 Thoughtseize

//Creatures
1 Anafenza, the Foremost
3 Grim Flayer
3 Noble Hierarch
3 Scavenging Ooze
4 Tarmogoyf

//Sideboard
1 Blessed Alliance
2 Damnation
3 Fulminator Mage
3 Leyline of Sanctity
3 Leyline of the Void
3 Stony Silence

Display deck statistics

Seems like the BG fastland is better here than the BW one since you don't need white until turn 3, while you have a bunch of good turn 1 plays for B or G (one of which can even give you W if needed). I've also noticed Anafenza popping up in a lot of Junk lists lately. Good enough on her own, or a response to Dredge being a thing again?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
There was a BUG Delver list in the Top 8 of a recent regional, it was posted in the Eternal thread and looked cool. Kind of like yours but with Delver and Tasigur rather than Shadow and BB.

Someone also mentioned a buddy running BUG with Yahenni's Expertise and Ancestral Visions, that seems particularly sexy if you can make it work.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Pauper was the first thing that came to mind, though some color pairings are more viable in that format than others.

Another thing I remembered was that around M14, Wizards put out these 30-card monocolored decks that stores were supposed to give out for free to new players, where the decks could be played against one another on their own but could also be shuffled together with another deck from the set to make a two-color 60-card deck. I don't think there are deck lists out there for them since they could vary slightly even within one color (drawing from stuff that was Standard-legal at the time), but if you can track some down they might be good for what you want to do :shrug:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Anyone got a decklist for a nice W or W/B soldier token deck? I've been out of the game for a while and I want to get back into playing (nothing much, probably just some FNM) and I love me some soldier tokens. Also, it's a fairly cheap (like, less than $100) deck archetype, right?

BW Tokens is a deck that exists in Modern, it's not top-tier but it does alright and people seem to like it. If you poke around on MTGGoldfish.com you can find a $100ish version of the deck (though optimized versions of the deck are more). Also it's not just Soldiers so I hope that's not a deal breaker :v:

E: Found it. Article's a year old and there's a couple of newer cards that would do well in the deck especially if budget is a factor, but the general concept is still there.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 22, 2017

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

BizarroAzrael posted:

Seeing Extractor Demon in the MMA previews gave me a new idea for a Modern Aristocrats deck, using self-mill to load my yard and then Rally the Ancestors or something to bring it all up and combo off or otherwise capitalize. So my question is what are some good self-mill cards, really stuff the incidentally mills me whilst doing something. I'm taking a look at SoI madness-enablers, I expect there are Sultai cards for it too, but anything else that's a good card, possibly synergies with aristocrat stratergies, and also puts cards into the yard? Right now I'm thinking BW or Abzan, since green seems a good fit with stuff like Grisly Salvage and also has Eternal Witness as a way to get non-creature combo pieces out of the yard.

I had an Esper Rally deck I was working on for a minute but I got discouraged by the price on Bloodghast and Bridge from Below. Can post the list later if you'd like but it definitely had Hedron Crab (Landfall mill 3) and Magus of the Bazaar (tap: draw 2 pitch 3).

E: List- https://deckbox.org/sets/1360505

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Mar 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

whats for dinner posted:

I was thinking of Blood Moon more as a sideboard card to bring in against decks that have a super greedy manabase. I can definitely see the argument for Molten Rain, though, because once Blood Moon goes off the remainder could just be dead cards whereas Molten Rain lets me keep getting rid of annoying lands while doing damage to the face. I suppose if I start splashing colours then Blood Moon becomes a liability to me, as well.

Remember that a lot of decks with greedy mana are going to take damage from their own lands as the game goes on, so while you might be color-screwing them they're also not going to be hurt by their own lands with Blood Moon in play. I think Molten Rain is better here. If you're hell bent on color-screwing them then I guess you could run Crumble to Dust but that's an even worse call. Just run Rains.

• Locked thread