Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Anybody got any good and/or fun BR Madness lists? If you've seen or are building any, how often does Drana show up in them? I've got partial pieces for a deck except for her, and am wondering if she'll be vital at all and need to be bought before any kind of spike or if Olivia'll be the main three drop with something like Vampire Envoy alongside her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Elyv posted:

Early reports have claimed that, despite being very obvious, RB Madness/Vamps is bad

SCG starts today so I guess we'll see

That's why I included the "or"!

But if it can't win at all, I guess that wouldn't be very fun. People in the main thread were talking about Vampires being much better than Werewolves. What's actually supposed to be good this Standard?

e: I hope it's GW Humans, I have pulled two Sigarda's :toot:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

I pulled a second Gitrog Monster today, and I can't NOT play with him, so I made a casual standard deck that's capable of and uses delirium. It ain't perfect, but this one's for kitchen table funsies anyhow.

4 Groundskeeper
4 Elvish Visionary
3 Deathcap Cultivator
3 Tireless Tracker
4 Heir of Falkenrath/Heir to the Night
2 Kindly Stranger/Demon-Possessed Witch
2 The Gitrog Monster

4 Dead Weight
4 Grotesque Mutation
2 Traverse the Ulvenwald
4 Seek the Wilds

6 Swamp
8 Forest
2 Foul Orchard
4 Llanowar Wastes
4 Evolving Wilds

I went with Dead Weight over better removal to help hit delirium which turns Deathcap Cultivator's deathtouch on, Kindly Stranger's transform-to-destroy-a-creature on, and most importantly lets me tutor up a Gitrog with Traverse the Ulvenwald. If all that fails, I can still bash with Tireless Tracker and Heir to the Night.

Excited for my horrific frog future :getin:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

I signed up for Tapped Out. Here's a GW Humans deck I've just finished putting together with what I already own.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/08-05-16-gw-humans/:

quote:

Creature (30)
4x Thraben Inspector
3x Town Gossipmonger
3x Kytheon, Hero of Akros
2x Hanweir Militia Captain
2x Knight of the White Orchid
2x Consul's Lieutenant
3x Thalia's Lieutenant
4x Duskwatch Recruiter
4x Tireless Tracker
2x Sigarda, Heron's Grace
1x Archangel Avacyn

Sorcery (4)
4x Declaration in Stone

Enchantment (3)
3x Always Watching

Land (23)
10x Plains
5x Forest
2x Canopy Vista
4x Fortified Village
2x Westvale Abbey

I like Tireless Tracker and Duskwatch Recruiter, and only owning one Avacyn keeps me from making the standard Mono White Humans deck. I think it'll be fun for kitchen tables, but not so terrible that I can't break it out and try to win with it. Also didn't do any mana math, that's just what looked okay sitting here. Only thing I have in the sideboard in my head is Clip Wings, if I bother putting one together.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 9, 2016

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

After piddling around trying to make a UR Modern Aggro deck, I realized I have just about everything for a Modern Atarka Red deck. This isn't for GPs or anything, I'd just like a valid Modern deck to play in that format casually.

Creatures: 16
x4 Monastery Swiftspear
x4 Elvish Visionary
x4 Abbot of Keral Keep
x4 Duskwatch Recruiter

Spells: 24
x4 Atarka's Command
x4 Lightning Bolt
x4 Lava Spike
x4 Wild Slash
x3 Become Immense
x3 Temur Battle Rage
x2 Roast

Lands: 20
x9 Mountain
x4 Forest
x3 Cinder Glade/Copperline Gorge(?)/Stomping Ground
x4 Wooded Foothills

Where I need help is the mana. I can see reasons for using either Glade or Gorge or both, and also the red/green split. I'm sure there's something better than Duskwatch Recruiter, but I just really like that card and wanna play it. I also think there's probably something better than Roast in the main, but I'm not sure what, and maybe one less Fiery ImpulseWild Slash?

e: Just realized Gorge isn't fetchable, it'd be Stomping Ground.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 4, 2016

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

little munchkin posted:

Duskwatch Recruiter seems like a nonbo with only 20 lands and only 16 creatures. Elvish Visionary just seems bad. Play Kird Ape and, if you have more fetches and some white shocks, you can play Wild Nacatl as well. After that it's pretty slim pickings for good creatures, budget or otherwise. Goblin Guide if you want to spend money, maybe young pyromancer if you don't? Even dragon fodder would be better than Visionary. I think Rift Bolt or Searing Blaze would be better than Wild Slash. Mutagenic Growth is another cheap card that works really well with prowess creatures.

Do not play cinder glade in a deck that absolutely needs lands to come into play untapped.

You can also look up Bushwhacker Zoo or 8-whack for some cheap-ish decks that are doing a similar thing but are more proven.

Yeah I'd like to stay cheaper until I decide if I want to play loads of Modern; I've been watching Goblin Guides, but, yeah... Wild Nacatl looks good (and affordable), and I already have one Young Pyro so I'd be willing to buy into those.

How many shocklands should I realistically be running in a deck like this? Two Temple Garden, two Stomping Ground, with eight fetches? More duals?

As for fetches, I have a playset of Bloodstained Mire I could run in addition to my Wooded Foothills, but that doesn't fetch Temple Garden. Windswept Heaths are pretty cheap now, relatively.

E: Although if upgrading all the necessary parts to make this deck what it should be ends up costing THAT much more, it might be cheaper to just throw cash at Guides and make a RDW with what I already have. :sigh:

I just wanna be over the :retrogames: hump and have another deck that won't rotate besides my Commander deck.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jun 7, 2016

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Okay. Well. Yeah, upgrading that Atarka Red deck would cost me more than I'm willing to part with to get into a format I'm not sure I'll have lots of games for. I think I've found another Aggro deck that I'm missing all of three (playsets) for.

Red Deck Bushwhacks

Creatures: 16
x4 Monastery Swiftspear
x4 Abbot of Keral Keep
x4 Young Pyromancer
x4 Reckless Bushwhacker

Spells: 24
x4 Rift Bolt
x4 Lightning Bolt
x4 Lava Spike
x4 Wild Slash
x4 Dragon Fodder
x4 Searing Blaze

Lands: 20
x20 Mountain

No Goblin Guides, and using Amazon for singles it's costing me all of $22 to buy what I don't already own, and it's hard to beat the cost of the manabase :haw:.

This deck would let me burn out folks and also go wide on 1/1 tokens between YP and Fodder, the dream being hitting Dragon Fodder and surging Reckless Bushwhacker on turn 4 after playing out a Young Pyromancer on a previous turn (and having it survive to T4). It's light on one-drop creatures, but Zurgo Bellstriker is... boring, and Guides are something I could invest in/trade for later, and between Lightning Bolt, Rift Bolt, Wild Slash and Monastery Swiftspear, I should have some sort of action on T1 as it is. If the Abbots have me chucking spells more than playing them, I'll tap in the Bellstrikers.

Outside of Boiling Earth and Roast I'm not sure what goes in the sideboard for this deck, but I guess I'll just copy someone else's :shrug:

ninja-edit: Hordeling Outburst seems too slow? But that's an option too. I don't expect to make it to turn five and not have the game already won or lost by then, which is when I could outburst and start whacking bushes.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 7, 2016

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Mezzanon posted:

Cut 4 wild slash for 4 goblin bushwhacker for the 8 whack route.

I took your advice, and here's where I've ended up. The cards got here today, everything's sleeved up and it's going to my LGS with me tonight in case I can get a side-game in before the draft starts.

Modern Red Deck 8-Whack

quote:

Creature (20)
4x Abbot of Keral Keep
4x Goblin Bushwhacker
4x Monastery Swiftspear
4x Reckless Bushwhacker
4x Young Pyromancer

Sorcery (12)
4x Dragon Fodder
4x Lava Spike
4x Rift Bolt

Instant (8)
4x Lightning Bolt
4x Searing Blaze

Land (20)
20x Mountain

Pretty much part goblin deck, mostly a regular ol' mono red deck. I think it'll be fun to play even if it's nowhere near top tier; I like to play Aggro, in any case.

As for sideboard, I think a Boiling Earth-type card for token decks (pretty sure there's strictly better "deal 1 damage to every creature" cards than Boiling Earth since I won't be using its Awaken option), Smash to Smithereens for Affinity, Roast for Eldrazi/bigger creature decks, and that's about all I know of? Where else should I aim for the sideboard?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

C-Euro posted:

I think you're a little burn-heavy for a deck that wants to win by going wide. I'd cut some burn for 4x Krenko's Command, you might even try to work in a couple Hordeling Outbursts if you're feeling particularly sassy.
I like the SB options that munchkin already put out there, plus Electrickery for anti-token tech.

Hordeling Outburst just seems like it'd always be too much too early since I'd never want to cast it without a Bushwhacker or too little too late. I didn't know Krenko's Command existed, so thanks on that one.

Is there a difference I'm not seeing between the Boiling Earths I already have and Electrickery?

e: Would it be a terrible idea to just replace the Abbots with Goblin Piledrivers?

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jun 15, 2016

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

JOHN CENA posted:

so yeah this is probably getting ahead of myself, but this looks like a fun deck to try and run on FNM, and hey i like doing things that are self encompassing when it comes to flavor.

Deck: wolves lol

//Main
4 Kessig Prowler
4 Village Messenger
4 Duskwatch Recruiter
4 Silverfur Partisan
4 Geier Reach Bandit

4 Collected Company
3 Arlinn Kord
3 Expedite
3 Atarka's Command
2 Howlpack Resurgence
2 Rabid Bite

4 Game Trail
4 Cinder Glade
10 Forest
5 Mountain

Display deck statistics

obviously im tryin to go a little aggro, a little midrange, but i wanna keep it wolf flavored creature wise, while not casting TOO many spells causin them to flip back. any alternative takes on this deck?

Moonlight Hunt is probably better than Rabid Bite, right?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

AgentSythe posted:

Here's a deck that is assuredly bad

Deck: "Virtual Card Advantage"

//Creatures
3 Reflector Mage
3 Stratus Dancer
4 Dimensional Infiltrator
4 Rattlechains
4 Spell Queller
4 Niblis of Frost

//Spells
2 Essence Flux
2 Clash of Wills
3 Spell Shrivel
3 Unsubstantiate
4 Declaration in Stone

//Lands
3 Evolving Wilds
4 Port Town
4 Prairie Stream
7 Island
6 Plains

//Sideboard
3 Negate
2 Hallowed Moonlight
1 Dispel
4 Silkwrap
2 Selfless Spirit
1 Turn Aside
2 Gisela, the Broken Blade

The UW take of Saito's UR fliers deck with some of the new cards. idiots take care of business in the air while providing enough disruption to stop your opponent from killing you. Sideboard is a mess. I think Turn Aside is pretty good in this deck. I'm not sold on Gisela but she seems tough for the humans decks to beat. Essence flux seems very funny but I am not sure I want more than two.

I really wanna build an aggro-ish UW Mostly Spirits deck, I already have everything but the Quellers, and that card looks sweet. Basically merging some spirits cards with my UW Humans deck. I was thinking something more like:

x4 Topplegeist
x4 Rattlechains
x4 Spell Queller
x4 Reflector Mage
x3 Uninvited Geist
x4 Archangel Avacyn

x4 Always Watching
x4 Declaration in Stone
x3 Grip of the Roil
x2 Engulf the Shore

Maybe playing some Evolving Wilds to turn on Delirium for Topplegeist.

e: I guess it's not necessarily all that aggro with so many three drops, but it still looks fun and easy to annoy opponents.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jul 10, 2016

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

DangerDongs posted:

I think the top end of these spirit decks should probably be Avacyn/ Ojutai's Command. I also am against running always watching; the 3 slot is already heavily contested, and always watching shines a lot more when you are dropping 2/1 for 1. A counter spell would probably be a better fit.

I really think U/W Spirits may be able to give G/W tokens a run for its money.

This is probably a fair point wrt to the three spot. What replaces Always Watching, though?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Let's assume that was already in, because why play that deck otherwise. I posted my idea of a list up thread a bit.

e: Probably just more spells, I guess. Clash of Wills, etc.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Doesn't Rattlechains just make a guy hexproof, not indestructible? How's that a free chump block?

Note: I may not understand Hexproof.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Gotcha, misread that. I like this deck (or some version of it), looking forward to grabbing the pieces I need for it.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Here's what I'm looking at for my UW Spirits deck after checking out stinkles1112's list:

UW Spirits

x4 Dimensional Infiltrator
x4 Rattlechains
x4 Spell Queller
x4 Reflector Mage
x3 Spectral Shepherd
x2 Archangel Avacyn

x4 Declaration in Stone
x2 Stasis Snare
x3 Horribly Awry
x2 Clash of Wills
x3 Expose Evil
x2 Ojutai’s Command

x4 Port Town
x4 Prairie Stream
x8 Plains
x7 Island

I'd like to run Mausoleum Wanderer, but I guess the only thing I'd be willing to drop is the Shepherd, and then I lose that blink ability. I think the Expose Evil's could come out, but it does slow the other guy down while I'm getting to my third turn where the business starts to happen with Reflector/Queller/Shepherd (also why Horribly Awry seems okay if I get a slow start, just blast whatever they play on turns 2-5).

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

JOHN CENA posted:

What about displacer to flicker in some of the spirits for their etb triggers?

What the other guy said about needing colorless sources, and also, hopefully games won't last long enough for that to matter. The deck starts rolling at turn 3, sure, but once it does the opponent will have to do something quickly with 2 or 3 2-powers flying over at him every turn.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

So, how bad is this in standard:

x4 Sylvan Advocate
x4 Lambholt Pacifist
x4 Duskwatch Recruiter
x4 Undergrowth Champion
x4 Tireless Tracker
x2 Gladeheart Calvary

x4 Rapid Bite
x4 Confront the Unknown
x2 Cryptolith Rite

x24 Forest

I'm 4 cards short and could use some bombs, but is mono-green playable as an Aggro/Stompy list?

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jul 31, 2016

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Reminder that Geistblast-enabled copies don't remove ice counters from Thing in the Ice.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Poison Mushroom posted:

I kind of massively overhauled my black Zombie deck. It's now UB. I'd call it midrange, cause I can either go for zombie aggro, or play control until I can pop off an Abbey.

# [Zombies Go To Church, Too!](*)
by [PoisonMushroom](*)

## Mainboard (60)
### Creature (16)
* 4 [Cryptbreaker](*)
* 3 [Diregraf Colossus](*)
* 2 [Haunted Dead](*)
* 3 [Prized Amalgam](*)
* 4 [Relentless Dead](*)

### Instant (9)
* 2 [Altar's Reap](*)
* 3 [Just the Wind](*)
* 4 [Negate](*)

### Land (24)
* 4 [Choked Estuary](*)
* 4 [Island](*)
* 4 [Sunken Hollow](*)
* 9 [Swamp](*)
* 3 [Westvale Abbey](*)

### Sorcery (7)
* 4 [Alms of the Vein](*)
* 3 [From Under the Floorboards](*)

### Enchantment (4)
* 4 [Sinister Concoction](*)

## Sideboard (15)
* 4 [Dispel](*)
* 2 [Geralf's Masterpiece](*)
* 3 [Pick the Brain](*)
* 3 [Talent of the Telepath](*)
* 3 [To the Slaughter](*)

Bant still makes a mess of me, though. Suggestions, especially sideboard?

Why Alms of the Vein instead of more creatures? Nantuko Husk or Stitched Mangler or Fleshbag Marauder? Or even Grasp of Darkness?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

mehall posted:

I'm still unconvinced of running any vehicles in that deck.
I can see running lootcopter, though I'm not going to for budgetary reasons, but on T2 I wanna be dropping a Brawler or Cub, and T3, I wanna be dropping a Hellion, or one of my two drops. I'm running a couple one-drop spells/tricks in those slots, so I can use the extra mana.

What about the vehicle that comes down as a 5/3 trample haste creature? It's basically serving its purpose as removal plus damage, and it just takes a Kessig Prowler to crew if it survives.

I'm building that deck too. T1 Prowler or Attune for land/energy, T2 Brawler or Cub, T3 the enegy burn card, T4 the vehicle or Arlinn Kord. Plus the bigger rare creatures if the game somehow isn't locked up by then.

Seems decent!

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Poison Mushroom posted:

Kessig Prowler feels like the best green 1-drop printed in recent memory.

Annoyingly, since it's a flip uncommon, it's actually kind of hard to pull. I've opened more than enough EMN and only have 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

I've been working on a Standard GW Midrange-y deck this weekend since I pulled a couple Cataclysmic Gearhulk's and have picked up some Verdurous Gearhulk's. Here's what I got so far:

4 Fortified Village
2 Canopy Vista
10 Forest
9 Plains

4 Duskwatch Recruiter
4 Sylvan Advocate
3 Tireless Tracker
3 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
3 Aerial Responder
3 Fairgrounds Warden
2 Cataclysmic Gearhulk
3 Verdurous Gearhulk

2 Attune with Aether
4 Stasis Snare
3 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar

SB so far: 3 Take Down, 3 Blossoming Defense, 2 Declaration in Stone, 4 Fragmentize

Basically I'd like to dig for Gearhulk's with Recruiter and Tracker clues, slow down the other player's creatures with Thalia, Warden's and Stasis Snare's, use Attune to make sure I hit my late land drops and then in Magical Christmas Land switch from defense to offense by hitting a Verdurous on turn five and play a Cataclysmic on turn six to wipe everything except both my Gearhulks, a Stasis Snare and a Gideon.

Not sure how wise it is to play five Gearhulks, or if it's even smarter to play a fourth Verdurous for six total, and not sure about having so much land. Also have a few sideboard slots that could be filled. I haven't played it yet, but it looks cool and fun.

• Locked thread