Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
I think there's potential for a U/W skies midrange deck, but I'm not sure how to put it together. This is a list of the cards I'm considering:

U/W sky

4x rattlchains
4x always watching
X archangel of tithes
X Vryn wingmare
X scrapskin drake (???)
X tower Geist (???)
4x thunderclap Wyvern
4x dragonlord ojutai
2x new Jace
2x Gideon
X ojutai's command
X anafenza Kin tree spirit
X silk wrap
X icefall regent (???)
X silumgar's scorn
X stasis snare
1x linvala
X reflector Mage (????)
X bygone bishop
X declaration in stone
X stitchwing skaab (???)
X uninvited Geist

I mean there's a lot of garbage cards here (I was just searching by set and finding all cards that fit the deck). But rattlechains, always watching, thunderclap Wyvern, and ojutai seems like a really good build around me package. It also gives you 8 anthem effects for your fliers, 4 of which are bodies. Some Gideon's add more anthems. Vryn wingmare seems okay.

The removal package seems really good in the deck with silk wrap, snare, and declaration. Reflector mage is reflector Mage.

Who has thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Elyv posted:

i'm heading to bed soon but don't play scrapskin drake because it's not even particularly good in limited

This is fact.

here is a slightly more tuned bit of guesswork

U/W sky

4x rattlchains
4x archangel of tithes
3X Vryn wingmare
4x thunderclap Wyvern
4x dragonlord ojutai
2x Gideon
4x reflector Mage
4x bygone bishop

4x declaration in stone
3x stasis snare
3x silk wrap
4x always watching

Sideboard:
counter magic?
Anafenza?

Who has thoughts?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Cernunnos posted:

Drop the Bygone Bishops for some maindeck counters and your probably set. A little disruption can go a long way and the Bishops just aren't good enough here IMO.

You can easily lock up a game with just Archangel/Ojutai + Always Watching so being able to protect that will put you in a good place. The Wingmares will do some of that but having a hard counter to the opponents out is always pretty good.

You could probably trade out the Rattlechains too but having Flash is enough reason to keep him.

Yeah I think I was just trying to get too cute with spirit synergy with the bishop.

Counter package: dispel, negate, or silumgars scorn? Scorn has a way bigger theoretical upside, but I only have 4 dragons in the list? Ojutai's command?

I think rattlechains is good enough to stay in the deck. It's good pressure early, and can be flashed in in response to an edict to protect an ojutai in lieu of counter spells

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
I'm currently testing with:

3x stratus dancer
4x rattlechains
3x Vryn wingmare
4x reflector Mage
4x thunderclap wyvern
3x archangel of tithes
3x dragonlord Ojutai

4x always watching
3x declaration in stone
3x stasis snare
2x Gideon, ally of zenikar

4x port town
4x prairie stream
1x rogues passage
8x plains
7x island

Considering the following:

- adding Ojutai number 4
- cutting Gideon for negate

Still needs more testing, but it's super fun.

Sideboard contains negates and board wipes right now.

Edit: I feel like this is the deck that wants tragic arrogance as its sweeper. Board wiping but leaving an always watching and an ojutai on your side of the board feels pretty good.

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 13, 2016

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

TheLawinator posted:

My suggestion is that black is only going to slow you down in a format that is extremely fast. Drop every black card, go for speed beyond anything, and if it's legal jam 3 red elemental blast in your board to go with pyroblast. It's basically going to be high tide/delver and monoblack as your main opponents, so gear for that.

Legal goblin grenade, gently caress yeah just go mono red.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Soul Glo posted:

Okay. Well. Yeah, upgrading that Atarka Red deck would cost me more than I'm willing to part with to get into a format I'm not sure I'll have lots of games for. I think I've found another Aggro deck that I'm missing all of three (playsets) for.

Red Deck Bushwhacks

Creatures: 16
x4 Monastery Swiftspear
x4 Abbot of Keral Keep
x4 Young Pyromancer
x4 Reckless Bushwhacker

Spells: 24
x4 Rift Bolt
x4 Lightning Bolt
x4 Lava Spike
x4 Wild Slash
x4 Dragon Fodder
x4 Searing Blaze

Lands: 20
x20 Mountain

No Goblin Guides, and using Amazon for singles it's costing me all of $22 to buy what I don't already own, and it's hard to beat the cost of the manabase :haw:.

This deck would let me burn out folks and also go wide on 1/1 tokens between YP and Fodder, the dream being hitting Dragon Fodder and surging Reckless Bushwhacker on turn 4 after playing out a Young Pyromancer on a previous turn (and having it survive to T4). It's light on one-drop creatures, but Zurgo Bellstriker is... boring, and Guides are something I could invest in/trade for later, and between Lightning Bolt, Rift Bolt, Wild Slash and Monastery Swiftspear, I should have some sort of action on T1 as it is. If the Abbots have me chucking spells more than playing them, I'll tap in the Bellstrikers.

Outside of Boiling Earth and Roast I'm not sure what goes in the sideboard for this deck, but I guess I'll just copy someone else's :shrug:

ninja-edit: Hordeling Outburst seems too slow? But that's an option too. I don't expect to make it to turn five and not have the game already won or lost by then, which is when I could outburst and start whacking bushes.

Cut 4 wild slash for 4 goblin bushwhacker for the 8 whack route.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
R/U fliers is such a loving fun deck to play, thank you Saito.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Haven't played standard in about two months. Before that I was on a u/w fliers/spirits brew and Saito's r/u fliers list.

Did spell queller make u/w spirits into a real deck?

Are there any insane tempo decks like the R/Ufliers list right now?

I am open to advice on weird niche decks like those two!

For standard.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Turns out I have all the cards for Bant Company, should I just bite the bullet and play it for the few remaining weeks until rotation?

I've been trying for so long to avoid it, but I just want to smash out some Spell Quellers and go hog wild.

OR should I brew up a jeskai spirits/fevered visions wombo combo deck? Because that seems super tempting (just the U/W spirits tempo shell with fevered visions and some burn)

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Elyv posted:

You can play the best deck in the format for free and haven't played it yet? Why not, it seems like a fun time at least once. If it turns out not to be a fun time, you can shelve it.

I was on Saito's R/U fliers list before Eldritch Moon came out, and G/B aristocrats before that. But I haven't even had time for a casual game in the last 2 months since I've been working 70 hours a week across my three jobs.

But I mean, if I find some standard time I think I'll definitely give company a quick FNM or two.

Then once CoCo rotates out I can go back to playing weird spirit tribal all day erryday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Cross posting from the regular magic thread because somebody asked for the list over there, but here's the standard deck I've been testing:

Testing this in standard:

Jesky flash:

Creatures:

4x Mausoleum Wanderer

4x Rattlechains
4x Selfless Spirit
4x Dimensional Infiltrator

4x Spell Queller

/20

Spells:

4x Harnessed Lightning

2x Unsubstantiate

4x Spell Shrivel
4x Fevered Visions
3x Stasis Snare

/17

Land:

3x Inspiring Vantage
2x Port Town
3x Prairie Stream
2x Evolving Wilds
3x Spirebluff Canal
4x Wandering Fumarole
3x Aether Hub
1x Plains
1x Island
1x Mountain

/23

Sideboard:

4x Goblin Dark-Dwellers
4x Negate
3x Galvanic Bombardment
2x Summary Dismissal
2x Lunar Force

/15

Thoughts:

Main deck:
- mana base may need some tinkering, open to suggestions
- unsubstantiate might go to the main to be replaced with burn that can go to the face (maybe)
- maybe cut two cards for finishers? Goodnight castigator was in the original version. Maybe 2x the 4 mana dragon?

Sideboard:
- maybe cut some dank memers for more spells ??????
- lunar force should be cut for literally anything because it's a bad card (but I love it)
- should probably find room for 2x fumigate

Deck is still not great against Aggro. But it's very good against control and marvel and midrange decks.

Will take any advice

• Locked thread