Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is it a good idea to teach kids social justice in spanish class
gently caress you
this is some :laffo: stuff
:zoid:
social justice is totes good :nutshot:
lol no :secondpost:
you are offending xir feelings and zim will be very upset
the teacher was foolish for doing what she did
that's a hot tamale of a question :boom:
View Results

• Locked thread
poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

checkbox your privilege

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*
this is joxtavius, we raised xir in the woods so xe wouldnt feel any pressure to conform to societal norms

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010

symbolic posted:

i took something like 7 years of spanish and i actually learned quite a bit and at one point could hold a lengthy conversation

then i forget 95% of it so i can only say poo poo like "Puedo ir al bano?" and "Hay dos hombres en mi cama."

me too but i wont admit that i cant remember any of it to my wife. if we walk past people speaking spanish I'll say something like "They're talking about the weather" and she looks impressed

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

No one expects the Spanish class inquisition

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

donkey salami posted:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

donkey salami posted:

lol close thread its all down hill from here

Keep Autism Wired
Feb 22, 2009

Kristen Schaal Lub Club
the generation of people turning into the adults who will soon operate everything in the world

lol

feh

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

SurfaceDetail posted:

wow, hosed up gender wasnt a slider. Can see why she was disciplined.

gender wheel imo, a gender slider still presents the idea of gender as only being part male or female, and doesn't include other valid genders like

Other Barry
Jun 5, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

katlington posted:

She has ADHD and apparently the teacher said there are some kids in this class that have ADHD, and ADHD is a mental illness, and that's why she circled that. To me ADHD is not a mental disability. It's something she has," says Stiles lmfao

no see, having ADHD abrogates some of your white privilege, you want to proudly label yourself as that

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
see look its already getting boring

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i mean it was boring before but it achieved something with that Spanish class inquisition joke and now its getting boring again

Keep Autism Wired
Feb 22, 2009

Kristen Schaal Lub Club
i respect people who put effort and care into learning other languages, i believe it enriches one's spirit i'm just too much of a scrub to put the work in

Keep Autism Wired
Feb 22, 2009

Kristen Schaal Lub Club

That Robot posted:

remember how people were saying that it was going to be really funny when some of these social justice types enter the workforce?

behold!

it's really funny that this actually happened. why someone would think talking about pansexuals and demigirls in a middle school spanish class is mystifying :iiam:, but it is very funny

here is the form in question, filled out:

and just for GBS, I made a clean version so all of us can fill out our privileges:

how else will kids learn to check themselves and be humble?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

AnElegantPeacock posted:

You'd think someone so into social justice wouldn't lump together Muslims/Sihks and Hindus/Buddhists.

Edit: ah dang beaten to the hot take.

Idgi why not?

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
Isn't it cultural appropriation for white Americans to learn Spanish?

The Biscuit
Jul 2, 2007
Half of everything is luck.
They should probably work on penmanship before they move onto identity.

Piecewise
May 26, 2014
"How much privilege do you have?"

There are certain things that are warning signs for danger. Like finding your front door open when you come home or hearing something rattling while you walk in the desert.

I'd rate that phrase as somewhere between pooping out a kidney and finding a chest burster in your chest xray on the "Nothing good will come of this" scale.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
I'm the Sikh/Muslim. I carry a knife around all the time just in case I have to kill myself.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
If you're a white guy, walk across a college campus while wearing a hoodie with the hood up. 9 3/4 times out of 10, someone will say "Enjoying your white privilege?"

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Doppelganger posted:

If you're a white guy, walk across a college campus while wearing a hoodie with the hood up. 9 3/4 times out of 10, someone will say "Enjoying your white privilege?"

"Why yes I am, thanks for asking!"

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
My pronouns are xo/xus/xel/xellos/xamos/xis.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Tricky D posted:

My pronouns are xo/xus/xel/xellos/xamos/xis.

Thank you sir

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

This is problematic

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Failure to follow directions. F-.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

argondamn posted:

gender wheel imo, a gender slider still presents the idea of gender as only being part male or female, and doesn't include other valid genders like

Gender mobius strip

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
"Hmmm let me ask these middle school children what kind of sex they like to have and how they feel about their nono spots. That will end well for me." -a hipster degenerate

Piecewise
May 26, 2014
Gender is a social construct that doesn't matter.

Let's all talk about exactly what your gender is for 10, 000 posts.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lets discuss sexual orientation out of nowhere in a Spanish class with kids young enough that you'd have to explain the sexual part before the orientation part

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010

Doppelganger posted:

Isn't it cultural appropriation for white Americans to learn Spanish?

i think so. spanish is an indigenous language from the yucatan pennisula

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Well then what the hell do you call a black immigrant from Germany shithead?

Cremains?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My favorite thing about liberals is when they think you're being racist when you speak Spanish to people and you're white, because they're themselves really racist and forgot that it's not just FILTHY JOBSTEALING BROWNS that speak Spanish

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

What like those little thin pancakes with the filling? :shrug:

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

Piecewise posted:

Gender is a social construct that doesn't matter.

Let's all talk about exactly what your gender is for 10, 000 posts.

Let's also talk about how it's not "social justice" enough to demand equality. Extra privileges for the select chosen few, because if you're outside the majority, you're a minority, and minorities are ALWAYS oppressed! And how do you fight oppression? By knocking down the majority oppressors to make 'em inferior!

...Bigotry?! Its impossible for any minority to be bigoted! Minorities don't benefit from the power structure!

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
Every social justice thread is a potential hellthread

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Al Cowens posted:

"potential"?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Al Cowens posted:

I feel like this one has run up right to the edge

WHAT WILL HAPPEN NEXT?!

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Al Cowens posted:

this is what happens when you stomp on the garbage thread, the gross bug juice splashes everywhere.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

Enfield posted:

im having a meltdown

no dont

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
I am going to fill my garage with big bags of grass and make a fort and live there for a year naked.

• Locked thread