Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is it a good idea to teach kids social justice in spanish class
gently caress you
this is some :laffo: stuff
:zoid:
social justice is totes good :nutshot:
lol no :secondpost:
you are offending xir feelings and zim will be very upset
the teacher was foolish for doing what she did
that's a hot tamale of a question :boom:
View Results

• Locked thread
TheWeepingHorse
Nov 20, 2009

One of my best friends growing up is the child of Spanish immigrants. It was always cringey when people would try to correct her (or me) to say "Hispanic", instead of "Spanish". No, you dumb gently caress, there is a place called Spain, and her parents are from there. No, her skin is not brown. Yes, she is a native speaker of Spanish.

Likewise, my brother-in-law is Mexican, as in, he is from Mexico. More than a few people have pulled the Michael Scott thing of acting as if "Mexican" is a slur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Tubesock posted:

she should have used the standardized test. how else are you supposed to check privilege across the states.

being gay hurts your privilege score 600% more than being poor does
and you aren't "rich" unless you make more than a million a year

lol wow an identity politics retard that doesn't think class is much of a problem, what a surprise

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

TheWeepingHorse posted:

One of my best friends growing up is the child of Spanish immigrants. It was always cringey when people would try to correct her (or me) to say "Hispanic", instead of "Spanish". No, you dumb gently caress, there is a place called Spain, and her parents are from there. No, her skin is not brown. Yes, she is a native speaker of Spanish.

Likewise, my brother-in-law is Mexican, as in, he is from Mexico. More than a few people have pulled the Michael Scott thing of acting as if "Mexican" is a slur.

Wait, do people think that Spanish people are majority black?

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

opus111 posted:

Wait, do people think that Spanish people are majority black?
No, in the US it's trendy to assume that someone who speaks spanish is from any other country except Spain or Mexico

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

If you assume someone is Mexican you're racist and if you assume someone's Spanish you're ignorant, basically.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
I would like to know more about how being a scientist pulls down your privilege quotient more than being unemployed.

TheWeepingHorse
Nov 20, 2009

In ultra-white Polish-Italian rural-suburbia in the US, nobody has firsthand experience of anything else. They probably assumed that Spanish-speakers are generally brown, therefore Spanish people must also be generally brown. The idea that Spaniards are just as European as Poles and Italians never really entered into it. Likewise, these same people were dimly aware that most Spanish-speakers do not self-identify as being Spanish - however, they never really figured out that that was because Spain is just one of many places where people speak Spanish. This idea somehow got distorted into the idea that, like, I dunno, "Spanish" was an outmoded term or identity, like being Prussian. I dunno. On the one hand, I can see why people wouldn't want kids to automatically assume that all Spanish-speakers are Spanish, but at the same time, it's stupid to butt in to "correct" them, especially when it turns out that they're right and you're wrong.

It wasn't a huge thing, but it happened regularly enough.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

TheWeepingHorse posted:

In ultra-white Polish-Italian rural-suburbia in the US, nobody has firsthand experience of anything else. They probably assumed that Spanish-speakers are generally brown, therefore Spanish people must also be generally brown. The idea that Spaniards are just as European as Poles and Italians never really entered into it. Likewise, these same people were dimly aware that most Spanish-speakers do not self-identify as being Spanish - however, they never really figured out that that was because Spain is just one of many places where people speak Spanish. This idea somehow got distorted into the idea that, like, I dunno, "Spanish" was an outmoded term or identity, like being Prussian. I dunno. On the one hand, I can see why people wouldn't want kids to automatically assume that all Spanish-speakers are Spanish, but at the same time, it's stupid to butt in to "correct" them, especially when it turns out that they're right and you're wrong.

It wasn't a huge thing, but it happened regularly enough.
you should show them. you should "polish" their "knobs"

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I'm really trying to min/max my privilege. So far I'm a intersex black Middle Eastern gay retarded blind trans scientist, but can I be both homeless AND institutionalized to bump my point just a bit more?

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

Tubesock posted:

she should have used the standardized test. how else are you supposed to check privilege across the states.

I like that being blind is like three times worse than being deaf, disfigured and retarded. (It's nice to know there are people out there who are three times worse off than me.)

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

I'm really trying to min/max my privilege. So far I'm a intersex black Middle Eastern gay retarded blind trans scientist, but can I be both homeless AND institutionalized to bump my point just a bit more?

There's a prestige class for that but it needs 5 ranks in Hobo first.

hseroK divaD
Jun 3, 2011

Creepy Richard will keep leering at you NON-STOP!

Sheep-Goats posted:

I'm the girl in intro Spanish with pink hair trying to start a discussion about why we have to assign gender to words.

I live in Argentina and some people started doing exactly that.

It pisses me off to no end when they write words like los/las as 'lxs'. Like there are other options other than o or a.

Les/lis/lus doesn't exist you fucks :bang:

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

hseroK divaD posted:

I live in Argentina and some people started doing exactly that.

It pisses me off to no end when they write words like los/las as 'lxs'. Like there are other options other than o or a.

Les/lis/lus doesn't exist you fucks :bang:
Luis Generos

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Hey, OP. If you meet that teacher, tell her it's super lovely she didn't include Native Americans and grouped Islam and Sikhism into one block for some reason. She should also have Other in there for most of the questions. Maybe she was too privileged to consider this, I don't know.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Paladinus posted:

grouped Islam and Sikhism into one block for some reason.
"If you're a towel head, you're less privileged, bless your heart."

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Protip: tan to lose privilege.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

City of Tampa posted:

being gay hurts your privilege score 600% more than being poor does
and you aren't "rich" unless you make more than a million a year

lol wow an identity politics retard that doesn't think class is much of a problem, what a surprise

I'm the 750k gap between "affluent" and "rich".

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Paladinus posted:

Protip: tan to lose privilege.

Tanning is cultural appropriation of melanin levels!

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster
That's OUR molecule and you have no right to use it

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster
13% of the population is consuming 93% of the melanin. hosed up.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

City of Tampa posted:

the internet social justice left has more in common with the reactionary racist right than either would like to admit

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
This test is a 4chan joke. How can you not get it? It's funny and all, but you have to be really gullible not to get that it's a joke.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

how ashamed should i be that i have 2 functioning arms and 2 functioning legs

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Paladinus posted:

This test is a 4chan joke. How can you not get it? It's funny and all, but you have to be really gullible not to get that it's a joke.

Putting that much effort into looking like a retard doesn't come off rear end a joke so much as the make the person look like a retard.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Putting that much effort into looking like a retard doesn't come off rear end a joke so much as the make the person look like a retard.

As I said, it's a 4chan joke.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Paladinus posted:

I've never read 4chan since I'm not a dweeb so I don't know what that means.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Paladinus posted:

you're not helping your case

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Yeah, oh man, some 4channer spent 30 minutes to type some dumb words in MS paint to make fun of ess jay double-ews. There must be some deeper social implications here, let's discuss it at length how many points they should have actually put for certain answers.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oh Hell No posted:

Also these types of people never take into account that Hispanic is an ethnic/cultural identity and not a race in itself. I know a lot of blond-haired blue-eyed Cubans and Venezuelans, and a lot of Haitians and Dominicans who look no different from your average black American, and the two groups arguably get different treatment from police and such. And that's not even getting into the Filipino-American experience.

I'm a white red headed Spanish-Mexican and it's really funny how literally every middle class white gut I've met doesn't understand how I can be a white guy named Sanchez

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's usually the ones who are trying soooooo hard to be anti racist or whatever too

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*
"this is my meso-american friend larry"

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*
(not to imply ownership or anything. i dont own him, owning people is wrong)

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster
Plays fantasy football. A game where you own black people and have them fight with eachother.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Larry Parrish posted:

I'm a white red headed Spanish-Mexican and it's really funny how literally every middle class white gut I've met doesn't understand how I can be a white guy named Sanchez

Every Mexican I know has a white dude first name. Eric, Thomas, Zeke, Jason, Brian, Ruben, Alex, etc.

TheWeepingHorse
Nov 20, 2009

That privilege worksheet might be a lame troll, but there are many sincere attempts to mathematify privilege:

http://www.autostraddle.com/rebel-girls-mapping-power-privilege-and-oppression-254794/

It's the kind of thing where I sincerely, unironically believe that everybody would be better off if they understood the concept of what it means to have privilege, BUT, it's loving stupid to reify the concept or to assume that, say, "white" is even a uniform category to begin with or to confuse group effects with individual situations or to mistake the map for the territory, etc. etc. etc.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

no, but you can definitely con a loving sweet pair of pants off of well-meaning LF posters

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Larry Parrish posted:

it's because you're culturally appropriating their names

like the two massively built hawaiian brothers i went to school with named masashiro and koji

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This racial group that covers like 4 continents natively and 2 from colonial empires is definitely all privileged as a whole

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

TheWeepingHorse posted:

That privilege worksheet might be a lame troll, but there are many sincere attempts to mathematify privilege:

Is it really a troll if it's blatantly obvious on it? But goons still trying to quantify different factors of it lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Remember when these people tried to say Polish people were never oppressed because of their white privileges, and that they didn't have a culture of their own because they were white?

But they are the non-racist, so it's okay to say things like that.

• Locked thread