Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
  • Locked thread
Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018


Kralman's Knoll



The fires are spreading from the hilltop, heading for the forest to the north. If they aren't contained soon, the entire wood might catch alight - and all the people and beasts living in it will be in big trouble! Too bad that's not theo nly problem immediately leaping to the fore. The hobgoblins of the knoll have decided that the sudden fire is a sign from their gods, or perhaps just a good omen, and have come out en masse to dance around and perform their dark ritual - something that, back when it was a game, was supposed to be the culmination of a three day quest chain involving at least one full party to stop.

And if that wasn't enough, the hill itself is stirring. The heat and the noise must be waking Kralman itself up. Normally, that wouldn't be a problem. [i[Normally.[/i] But Kralman's not the brightest of creatures, and right now is the worst possible time for it to awaken.

Everyone, as you post, try to pick and answer one question, or add details to an answer already provided if you don't have one on your own.
1. Why is everything on fire now?
2. What's got the hobgoblins so riled up?
3. What is Kralman?
4. Why is now the worst possible time for Kralman to wake up?
5. Whose fault is this?

And, of course, what are you doing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018




quote:

Look: Glowing Eyes, Expensive Clothes, Unassuming Figure, Commanding Attitude

Agenda: Ultimate Power

OVERLORD STATS
Invincible: You cannot be hurt.

Charming: No one will believe you're as bad as you really are.

Out of Context: You may ignore any limitations normally laid down by the metaphysics of the world or the rules of the MMO.

Weakness: World Shards

Moves:
An Offer You Can't Refuse: When a player gets Taken Out in your presence, you may give them an offer. They may attempt to negotiate, but you do not need to listen. If they accept, you fulfill the deal and then leave the scene. If they refuse, they must roll +Courage.
On a 6-, they take the offer anyway. On a 7-9, they refuse and have one good chance to spite you, they'll tell you how. Then, you tell them what you do to them for it. You may kill them.
On a 10+, not only do they spite you, but they manage to escape before you can properly punish them for it, ending the scene with you standing there, alone. Tell us of your rage.

Chew The Scenery: When you are physically present, you can have the Spotlight for as long as you like, when you get it. You and your Generals can never be in Despair.

Cut Them Real Bad: When you are physically present, your Cuts can be as hard as you like. Your Generals do not have this move.

Forge a Bond: When you cause great personal harm to someone or their people, Forge a Bond with them. Your Bonds can be erased only by your own Moves, and you can hold any number of Bonds.
When you reveal a side of yourself to someone you never intended to share it with, they may Forge a Bond with you. You cannot erase the Bonds they hold with you, no matter how badly you might want to.

Heart of Fire: When a player has a Bond with you, you do not become their Companion, but it still holds sway over you. They may erase that Bond with you at any time to buy themselves reprieve. They choose one: You will show them mercy, tell them something valuable or ignore them for the time being.

Heart of Iron: When someone makes a move against you, you may erase a Bond with them to have them automatically fail their roll, steal the Spotlight from them, and Twist the Knife against them. Your attention is entirely focused on them while you use this move - the rest of the fellowship can act without drawing your attention. A player may force you to do this before making their roll.

Master Plan: Whenever the Fellowship Recovers or the Overlord Levels Up, you Advance your Plans. When the fellowship has A Little Downtime, you may Advance your Plans during your turn, but the fellowship will immediately hear about it if you do. When you could Advance your Plans, you may recruit a new General or heal one damaged Overlord Stat instead.
When you Advance your Plans, you choose one and move it one step forward. You always have two plans going at once - whenever you only have one plan left, write a second immediately.

Overlord Damage: You are difficult to harm. When you would take damage, they must first pay a price for each undamaged stat you have. If you would be destroyed, instead damage one of your stats at no cost to your attacker. If you take damage or are destroyed when none of your stats remain, you are finally defeated, once and for all.
If the fellowship seizes a Source of Power, they may use it to erase one of your stats forever. You can never get that stat back unless you can take control of that Source of Power.
When the fellowship Recovers, heal one of your damaged stats.

Overlord Foibles: You are arrogant. Every setback is minor and can be dealt with. You know you can't lose.
You are busy. You have something you want and focus on that. When you engage the fellowship, your goal is not to kill them, but to get them out of your way.
You are honor bound. When you make a promise, you keep it, period.

Threat to the World: You have immunity to a variety of moves. Further, when someone who is not a Threat to the World takes direct action against someone who is, they must Pay a Price to do so.

Twist the Knife: When you speak to someone you have a Bond with about your history with them, you may force them to relive their pain They must either pay a price, stand down and get out of your way, or they must attack you, right now. Their choice. No matter what they choose, you make a Hard Cut against them.

Overlord Stats: Your undamaged stats are immutable truths that cannot be contradicted by any means.
When you Advance your Plans, you may heal a damaged stat instead.
When you seize a new Source of Power, gain a new stat of your choice. When you gain or lose a Source of Power, write down which stat that Source of Power is tied to - if you lose or regain that Source of Power in the future, it takes that stat with it.

My Only Weakness!: When you are exposed to your Weakness, one of your stats is immediately damaged, their choice. Your stats and your moves cannot protect you from your Weakness, but it can only hurt you once per scene.

Your Generals: To create a General, take any Threat you like and give it the Threat to the World trait. Your Generals follow you without question and can never become Companions to the fellowship. Generals have all your Basic Moves and their own minions. You have one Bond with each of your Generals, describing why they serve you.
If one of your Generals suffers a significant failure at the fellowship's hands, you will either execute them, exile them, or give them one last chance. You can only give a General one last chance once.
You begin the game with a single General. When you Advance your Plans, you may recruit a new General instead.

GENERALS
Ordric Marr, Commander of the Summit Gates, the Warmonger

ARMIES
The Organization: An elite group, rather than a proper army, that will compete with the Fellowship and harry them throughout the journey.

GEAR
You do not need to eat and do not want for companions. When the fellowship Recovers, you also recover your Gear.
An elegant sword, exotic in design (Melee)
Magical bolts of energy, able to be reflected back at you (Ranged)
Destructive blasts of fire and lightning (Dangerous)
A powerful special attack (1 Use): The End of Days. Use this instead of erasing a Bond to trigger Heart of Iron.
A traitor (1 Use): Use to make anyone in the scene who is not part of the fellowship reveal their allegiance to you, complete with a dramatic moment where they betray the fellowship and cause them trouble.

Reason:

BONDS
Ordric Marr is sworn to serve the master of the Ultimate Summit, which is me.
I killed someone close to Novi Esquire.
Sephilia was once my friend.
I have caused great harm to Luc1na's people.
Vivi's people serve me now.
I have fought Kawaii before and left a wound upon them. It burns in my presence.
Grid secretly admires my Summit.
I destroyed Arduino's hometown.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo


Sephilia Lampbright

"It's not my fault!" Sephilia wails, convincing no one. "How was I supposed to know that was going to happen?! That never normally happens!"

The panicked girl is looking for some way of putting out the flames, but doesn't seem to be having much luck against a raging forest fire.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!


Grid Nótt

Obviously, what the goblins needed was a good stiff drink. That'd chill them out.

It did not chill them out. Why did Grid think that? It doesn't chill her out, at least not until she's at least a full jug to the wind on stacked debuffs. Speaking of which, that's how she was in everybody else ran across this sorry scene.

"Lul.", she says, still sitting down where she is. "Oh, ah, hey, join the party!", she starts, waving over to Sephilia cheerfully, seemingly heedless of the spreading fire. "It's... okay, everybody's /dancing-", she starts, before the shaking begins. Putting her hand to her head, she looks at her drink, as if blaming it for the sudden shift of the earth.

Going to use a use of alcohol for drunk: sense / vigor: blood. Two giant-sized uses = six uses for most purposes right now, so that's down to five.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.


Luc1na of the Raiding Rainbows

Luc1na follows along after Sephilia, the First Sword in her hand, looking remarkably unconcerned for someone in the middle of a raging inferno cum hobgoblin riot. "You threw a giant switch on some kind of ancient clock thing we didn't know anything about. The fact that it only caught on fire is kind of a surprise to me."

She takes a moment to shove a hobgoblin that rushes up towards them into one of its fellows, sending both tumbling over a ledge and out of view.

"On the plus side, looks like we're finally going to have a real fight!" Luc1na's wolfish grin is even more off-putting than usual, with the dance of light and shadow from the fires.

"I haven't gotten to take on a Colossus in forever! Not since they nerfed Titan armor and we stopped running the Monoliths. Hey Sephy-Seph, Kralman's the broken Colossus, right? The one that got blown up while it was marching towards the Dromon Wall by that wizard lady with the funny hair." She tries to remember the name, but gives it up after a second. "Anyways he should be easy to out maneuver. Regular Colossi are slow. Oh, but is he going to be harder to scale? That could be annoying."

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo


Sephilia Lampbright

"Giant fire breathing cuckoo clocks are not in the lore!" sobs Sephilia, too frazzled even to object to being called Sephy-seph. She grabs Grid's arm and tugs.

"Come on, Grid, we gotta keep moving!" she pleads with the oni woman. "We can sit later, okay?"

MollyMetroid fucked around with this message at Apr 10, 2016 around 06:29

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?


Vivi Cursender of the Eighteenth Circle

Divination is a precise art. Sigils must be traced. Incense must be burnt. The divinatory implements must be prepared. In short, it is something that, should you be interrupted halfway through your ritual by everything happening at once, you would be slightly annoyed.

"Kralman isn't just a broken Colossus, we've been over this." Vivi stomps after Luc1na, a bundle of half-burnt incense clutched in her hand. "Kralman is the First, the basis for all other Colossus designs. The prototype that refused to be decommissioned. It's not something you just fight."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!


Grid Nótt

Grid doesn't move easily, but she's pulled up more by Sephilia's words than her tugs. She has a frown as she looks down at her legs, apparently not thrilled with her new posture, and looks past the goblins and the fire, as if they weren't even concerns for her. "I'm up now.", she says, with the sour subtext of and there better be a good reason for it. Looking vaguely over to Luc1na's direction, it seems like she might even be listening before looking over to Vivi's assertion. Yes, she's listening, but how much is she receiving?

Lifting her chin, she states firmly. "Id gaff.", she retorts firmly to the arcanist, and starts to march in the direction of the rumbling, heedless of the goblins or the flames. As she comes near them, some of them launch themselves at her. Lifting her foot high, she quickly slams it down into the earth, red energy spiking up through cracks in the ground, searing them for a halting moment before launching their suddenly red-hot pieces across the landscape. Then, not really pausing for more than that one stomp, she keeps moving.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.


Luc1na of the Raiding Rainbows

Luc1na splits off a moment to barrel into a group of hobgoblins trying to get themselves organized to come after the party. A few swipes of the First Sword makes it very clear this is a really bad idea. Then she sees that Sephy's gotten Grid moving and hurries to catch up. "Now that's the kind of attitude I can get on board with!"

She shies away half a step when she gets closer. "What the hell have you been drinking? Jet fuel?" Luc1na shrugs at Vivi. "Yeah yeah, it's big and scary. Look, between you and Sephy-seph I'm sure you can explain where it's weak point is! I mean, you two keep acting like this is some huge disaster. We stumble over giant monsters all the time, what's the big deal?" Luc1na glances up at Grid. "Uh, no offense."

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo


Sephilia Lampbright

"Huge monst--Luc1na, you never listen when I tell you the lore! Kralman's story was really sad, too!" Sephy considers repeating the story again for her sister's benefit, then sighs.

"It's like Vivi said, he was the prototype, but he was overdesigned and didn't really have particular weak points. They couldn't stop him, but eventually he got lonely and demanded that a bride be built for him. In exchange for that, he would agree to go into standby mode until his bride was completed. The problem is, nobody ever did finish her, and the Old Nisse civilization fell and the knowledge how was lost. If he wakes up now, with no bride and nobody able to build him one, he'll never stop again!"

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011



Kawaii Kokoro

"You're missing the bigger problem."

The halfling picopico, easily unseen amongst all these tall folk, gestures for effect.

"That hobgoblin ritual is what creates the Bonesplosion Disease debuff. Remember that? The one that spreads? The Forge's Fire auction house debacle? The server resets? Except there won't be a server reset this time. If they pull that off, Kralman's the least of our worries. Fortunately, there's also a bit of good news."

He gives the biggest, cheesiest grin he can.

"NOBODY in this game is better at training a mob then I am. Hey Grid, remember that time we lead you into Seadog's Bay and proclaimed you were our scurviest pirate yet? Probably not, it was before, you know, this. Trust me, I'm a natural. I'll keep Kralman off our backs while you lot take out those hobgoblins and figure out how to stop Stompy here! Bet'cha he won't even hit me once with his staff!"

quote:

Look: Twinkling eyes, luscious curls, sunday best clothing, rotund body

Agenda:
• Be Brave, Take Risks
• Tell Us Of Your People
• Improve The World Around You
• Have Fun

Stats: Blood+0, Courage+2, Grace+2, Sense-1, Wisdom+1

Mischievous Tricksters: When you sting like a bee, choose two options instead of one

Moves
The Little Folk (Courage): When you do something clever or sneaky while no one is looking, roll +Courage. On a 7+, you do it and no one will notice what you did until later. On a 10+, they won't even think to blame you for it unless they know you quite well, or you personally tell them you did it.

Sting Like a Bee: When you Keep Them Busy by getting in close and get a 7+, choose one. You can only Sting Like a Bee against those who are larger than you.
• You get them to chase you around, and you both leave the scene.
• You steal something small from them, and they don't notice until they need it or you taunt them with it.
• You get them talking - ask a question from the Speak Softly list.
• You think fast - ask a question from the Look Closely list.

A Friendly Face: You are small and easily trusted. So long as you show a friendly face, anyone not already actively hostile towards you will treat you as a friend, until proven otherwise.

The Courage of Halflings: You are never in Despair when rolling Courage, even if it is damaged.

Halfling Gear
• Trusty Blade(Melee)
• Halfling Packed Lunch (2 Uses, Food, each Use feeds three people) ☐☐
• Burglar's Gear (2 Uses, Useful) ☐☐
• A traveler's carriage, cozy on the inside, which I have 1 bond with. It even has a kitchen (Food, 3 Uses) ☐☐☐
• Halfling Pipeleaf (2 Uses, Slow, Drunk: Blood) ☐☐
• An Address book, filled with family friends (1 Use). You can Use this item to find a friend in any town you go to. You have a Bond with them, write it now. ☐

Halfling Pipeleaf: Halfling pipeleaf is a particularly popular kind of tobacco, especially among wizards. When you share your pipeleaf with another (1 Use), Speak Softly with them as if you rolled a 7-9

Bonds
I have mesmerized Grid Nótt with my stories.
I once told a lie so good Vivi STILL thinks it's true!
I will never lie to Luc1na
Arduino Mapleleaf has my back when things get touch out here.

Halfling Companions
Traveler's Carriage. Usually drawn by pony, these carriages are popular homes for the average nomad or merchant. Home Sweet Home ☐ Travel in Comfort ☐

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at Apr 13, 2016 around 04:23

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo


"We want Kralman not to wake up at all! No matter where you train him to, he won't stop, ever!"

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!


Grid Nótt

Offering the jug- which somebody cared enough to model after her fashion, incongruously black with lacy ribbons- towards Luc1na without looking to her, the oni still seems a little sour from having to get up. "I don't think they need to learn a lesson-", she says, before pausing. "- wait.", she says, as if processing the meaning of 'train'. She fixes her attention on Sephilia for a moment with her red eyes. "What if Kralman went away?"

Meanwhile, a single goblin has marched up and is hacking away at her. It takes her a moment to even notice while she's trying to process the stream of seeming nonsense coming from the others, and she looks at it like one might look at an animal going through some strange gyration. "No, I'm not going to dance..." she then replies before reconsidering. "... well, maybe a little."

Would Grid be considered to have advantage over the goblins, given the fiction? Or does she have to do something extra? I'm a little new to Fellowship here.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.


Luc1na of the Raiding Rainbows

Luc1na accepts the jug from Grid, having a bit of an issue initially balancing it with the sword in other hand. After a moment she figures it out and takes a long draw from it. "Wow!" Her voice is more than a little hoarse. "That is rocket fuel!" Luc1na passes it back to Grid, shaking her head and blinking from the strength of the stuff.

"That's what Kawaii's saying, draw him off somewhere we don't have to deal with him. I think. Right?"

Drunk: Sense, Vigor: Blood for this scene.
By the way, how big is Grid exactly?

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at Apr 15, 2016 around 17:07

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018


Alien Rope Burn posted:

Would Grid be considered to have advantage over the goblins, given the fiction? Or does she have to do something extra? I'm a little new to Fellowship here.

They are unable to harm her, but unless you find a way to leverage that into defeating them directly, it is not Advantage.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.


Arduino Mapleleaf

Arduino finally comes back from his headspace at the mention of "...where we don't have to deal with him." He's just figured out how to 'turn down' his shamanic connection to nature, so now the screaming of the burning trees is more like background static. He turns to Luc1na, and points and accusing finger at her. "Just because YOU won't have to deal with it, doesn't mean that the issue just goes away! This 'Kralman' would be an ecological disaster in any zone you train him to! The last time I checked, I was here as a representative of the wild places and wild people. Releasing the equivalent of a dirty bomb is the Exact Opposite of my beliefs!" By the end of his rant, Arduino has gone into his "Outside Voice" as his mom used to call it, and a voice in the back of his head is freaking out at how easily he's started to identify with the game's lore...

A thought crosses his mind as the rest of the group stares. "Maybe we can put him back to sleep? I know I loved hitting the snooze button..."

FewtureMD fucked around with this message at Apr 15, 2016 around 21:47

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?


Vivi Cursender of the Eighteenth Circle

"It's not really like a dirty bomb. More like a mechanical hurricane." Alright, maybe not the most tactful thing to say at the moment. But everyone's shouting and Vivi's watching a guild leader get drunk with her creation, so Vivi doesn't particularly care about tact right now.

"Anyway, Arduino's right. Kralman wakes up, we have a very tricky situation to deal with. Kralman stays asleep, there is no situation in the first place. One of these is much easier to deal with than the other."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!


Grid Nótt

Taking the jug back, Grid returns it to her inventory, which is to say nowhere. That looks a little odd in the "real world", but there you have it. She watches the other members talk, her eyes staring past them, unfocused, and it's unclear how much she's actually listening to. The goblin is still hitting her. And then, with no preamble, she starts off towards the burning forest, vanishing into the smoke. The goblin vanishes after, and then shortly after there's a rumbling sound as the earth seems to vibrate and shake.

Suddenly, some of the burning trees rise up into the air, smoke rising higher, and it's a moment before the silhouette of a rising shadow makes it clear that she's hefting up a small patch of land, trees and all. And on that patch of land, one alarmed goblin clings to the base of a tree, looking down as it panics. Below the patch, Grid's red eyes burn through the haze. A sharp eye might make it look like there are more forms holding up the crumbling piece of land, but it could just be a trick of the smoke.

Looks like somebody's planning to deal with the goblin issue directly. Of course, this might wake up the automaton. But it'll solve one problem out of two!

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.


Arduino Mapleleaf

"Holy crap!" Arduino had forgotten about Grid's 'special origin', as he had never faced her in her previous state, but looking at the burning eyes cutting through the smoke, a shiver crawls down his spine. What if she reverts before we fix everything... The idea leaves his head as quickly as it arrives, since there are more pressing issues to solve. He turns to Vivi. "You used to be a dev, right? So you'll know what I mean when I say that I have max skill ranks in Morphean Spores. Do you think that would be enough to put Kralman back down, and can you work with me and Kawaii to do it? I think he'll be down for whatever scheme he comes up with..."



Morphean Spores is my reflavoring of the Elder Art: Special Stardust.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011



Kawaii Kokoro

"You got that right. I told you - I'm the best in the server at training. I'll dance RINGS around him and do whatever is needed with these spore things of yours, no problem at all. You just give me the goods and say the word!"

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018


The ground rumbles, and part of it begins to sit up. Kralman's face emerges from the hillside, loamy earth and moss falling from it. His eyes are massive gemstones, and his face is blocky and overgrown. Moss hangs like a moustache and beard around his harsh, chiseled mouth. The light in the gemstones is bleary yet - that's good. It means he's not fully awake yet. But it can't be long.

quote:

Kralman, the First Colossus
Too Big To Fail: While this stat is undamaged, none of Kralman's other stats can be damaged.
Overdesigned Defense Systems: Anyone dealing damage to Kralman must pay a high price.
Ten League Steps: It is impossible to Get Away from Kralman when his full attention is on you.
Heavy Sleeper: If sleeping, Kralman can only be awakened by the machines of the First Builders.

Grid Nott expands and multiplies. The hobgoblins vary in response - those that notice cower back in fear, but so many fail to glance up from their ritual. They will likely regret this, in time. However, time is something of a commodity right now - if their ritual goes on too much longer, things are going to get much worse. Bonesplosion's no joke! The real problem is numbers - there must be twenty or more hogoblins taking part in the ritual right now!

quote:

The Hobgoblins of Kralman's Knoll
Group: This enemy can act against two people at once. When the enemy is destroyed, this stat is damaged, or this is their only stat left, replace the Group with two normal enemies.
Bonesplosion Ritual: This stat cannot be damaged until the Group stat is damaged. If the scene ends with this stat undamaged, everyone present catches Bonesplosion Disease.
Magical Interference: Anyone trying to use magic around the Hobgoblins of Kralman's Knoll must pay a price.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.


Luc1na of the Raiding Rainbows

Luc1na watches Kralman begin to rise, head tilted back. For a moment, she bears her teeth into something halfway between a smile and a snarl, her hand tight on the grip of the First Sword. But then she glances around at the others. "That would be one hell of a fight, but you've all been talking about this as a lore thing." She sighs. "I guess I better leave it to you."

She salutes Kralman with the blade. "Next time, big guy"

Then Luc1na's off to help Grid deal with those goblins, rushing into a cluster of them with a shout, the dark blade of the First Sword lashing out with speed and power as she piles into them. She wields the heavy blade of meteoric iron with practiced ease, and for the moment presses her foes hard. But the goblins are numerous, and Luc1na's head on attack is sure to draw a counter before too long.

Keep Them Busy [+Courage]: 2d6 8
I can keep them busy for a short time, but then they're going to retaliate. However, I do create Advantage, so someone else should use that!

Also, since my weapon is supposed to have a long and storied past, here's the origin:

The First Sword posted:

The First Sword. There are finer blades, and more famous swords, but no weapon has more history. Long eons ago, at the end of the Dawn Age, the world was in chaos. The Titans had fallen, and with them the Eternal Empire. Amid the ruins, the tribes of the Anth and the Jaan struggled for survival. Pressed from all sides by fearsome enemies, they sought some sign of hope.

It came from the sky itself. A streak of fire across the darkness, a fallen star that shattered the earth beneath it. In the crater, they found it. A length of dark metal, impossibly hard. Cold to the touch, though it had descended in flame. The tribe looked on it with wonder, but soon grew disdainful. What good was this strange bar?

One thought different. She took it, and with incredible difficulty put an edge to it, made a hilt. And when the monsters came again, she was ready. The blade cut through armor and flesh like lighting, and none could stand before her. In time she forged another first, an Anth Kingdom.

And thus began the Age of the Sword.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at Apr 26, 2016 around 03:51

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo


Sephilia Lampbright

Sephy's momentarily unsure of where she can be the most help, but she sees her big sister rushing into the fray and that settles it right quick. Taking careful aim, Sephilia begins to pick off goblins that are trying to creep around to flank Luc1na, or that look like they're going to get past, each shot felling one--if only she had some kind of automatic weapon!

[23:29] <Morphball> MollyMetroid: Keep them Busy (courage): 9 = 2d6(4,6)-1
Since they can act against two of us, I'll help keep them busy while the big stuff happens.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?


Vivi Cursender of the Eighteenth Circle

Meanwhile, Vivi's grinding her teeth. Arduino's magic is key to this plan. Arduino's magic doesn't work if the hobgoblins keep putting out this much arcane interference. The arcane interference doesn't stop until the hobgoblins stop. That isn't going to happen soon enough. So... Vivi will need to deal with this. And she just might be able to.

"Alright. I got a plan. Aruidno, get ready to cast. If this works, you'll get about ten seconds to get a spell off. If it doesn't... well, it better work." And so, Vivi Cursender begins to draw power.

Breath in. Breath out. Feel the power of the ley lines, thrumming beneath the surface no matter how thick the static seems. Draw the power up. Not a lot, just enough to cut through the interference. Breath in. Breath out. Hope nothing goes wrong.

Going to try to Overcome the magical interference, using whatever brute force power I can muster. It feels like a bit of a stretch given the wording of Magical Interference, but I'm the Harbinger. If anyone's going to call forth just enough ancient power that's nowhere near refined enough to be called magic to try to cut through this interference for ten seconds, it'd be the Harbinger.

Overcome: 2d6 6

Well, someone had to fail eventually. At least I can feel better about the stretching this way.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!


Grid Nótt
+ Blood | - Sense

There's a crunching, grinding sound that spikes, the tremendous hunk of earth and forest being launched through the air. It tumbles, end over end, logs and stones falling like rain in its wake as the singular goblin holds on for dear life upon the tree. It arcs over towards the ritual site. The impact spreads out a shockwave for hundreds of feet, with leaves, dust, and dirt billowing up all over. Though the dust, something seems to be following in the arc of the thrown object, and that's Grid, her red eyes blazing as she pulls her fist back, laughing maniacally as she slams down on the earthen pile, shattering it in every direction as the earth fissures open like a cracked egg. "Gyahahahahahahaha! You still want to dance? Try to keep up!"

The goblin, somehow, is still left clinging to the tree, which landed branches down. Sliding off, he looks in fright at the oni, and then starts to dart off.

Rolling Blood to Finish Them using a Huge Object, with an11! Bear in mind that's Dangerous, so it carries some consequence with it, thematically.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011



Kawaii's waitin' to see the results of what the others have done!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018


Luc1na and Sephilia rush into the hobgoblin horde, distracting them well. Their blade and shots are put to good use, giving Grid Nott the chance to get into position - and get into position she does, tearing up a huge stone. But still, she isn't quite fast enough to forestall all of the problems.

Vivi releases her own power...but while she has a lot of it, and a lot of control over it, she has unfortunately underestimated the chaos put forth by the hogoblins. The power is released into the air, and it warps horrifically, twisting and surging backwards along its path. It flows back into her, tearing through her - she has but the briefest instant to choose how she will ground it.

Vivi must pay a high price - ie, two prices.

It is only after this, in the grand display of light and sound that the magic becomes, that Grid Nott acts. She hurls her stone, and the force of it all shatters the hillside. The ground shatters from the force of the blow, sending the entire hobgoblin tribe down. Those that survive - and that's not as many as the hobgoblins would want - flee in terror. Those that do not are buried in the cavalcade of stone and earth that falls after them.

What is left is a massive steel structure, as Kralman's 'tomb' is revealed. The giant itself keeps rising, its awakening continuing. Even if it's put back to sleep now, it will never be hidden again.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.


Luc1na of the Raiding Rainbows

Luc1na cuts down a fleeing hobgoblin that strays too close, then looks around at the devastation. "Now that's how its done! Nice work, Grid!" She holds up a hand to high-five Sephilia. "You okay over there, Vivi?"

She doesn't sheathe the First Sword yet, though. That colossus still has to be dealt with.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011



Kawaii Kokoro

"Alright, well, I'll keep the big guy's attention on me, while the rest of you figure this out! Arduino, try out that mojo that you do! The rest of you, check out those ruins I guess???"

Kawaii sprints towards the Colossus, and, with some deft climbing and acrobatics, tumbles himself right in front of it's face, staring into it's bleary eyes with the biggest smile he can.

"Hey there!"

Keep Them Busy + Sting Like a Bee: 2d6+2 6
Uh oh.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.


[quote="FewtureMD" post="458979055"]Arduino Mapleleaf

Arduino, having closed his jaw after what Vivi and Grid did, turns his attention to the drowsy giant. "Time to go night-night, you big lug!"

pre:
By the grace of Selene, goddess of the moon and night,  keeper of nightmares and dreams
I call upon the vast power of nature to deliver you into her cool embrace
Sleep now, and forever more! Morphean Spores!
Two avatar-sized azure mushrooms sprout at Arduino's side, each glowing faintly with an ethereal light. The glow intensifies, and a shower of light particles is released from the cap of each mushroom. Picked up by an unseen wind, the spores fly directly into Kralman's face. As they do so, the giant mushrooms wither away, leaving only a bit of upturned soil as the only sign of their existence.



Marking 'Special Stardust' off of my Elder Arts list. The chant in italics is my way of representing Arduino speaking in Shamanic, the language used to cast nature spells and talk with animals. To the uninitiated, it sounds like various mashed together animal noises.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?


Vivi Cursender of the Eighteenth Circle

Something went wrong. Something went very wrong. The kind of thing that requires drastic action to avoid. In this case, the drastic action involves severing your connection to the ambient energies before the feedback devours you whole. Does Vivi want to do this? No, she spent good time attuning herself to the local leylines and she would rather not have to deal with that again. Will she do it? Yes, because the alternative is having her spirit rent asunder by the forces at work here.

For my price, marking both uses of leylines. Figured it would be more bearable than burning out some of my trinkets or taking that damage on the chin.

"Oh, yeah, I'll be fine. Had to sever a few connections, but nothing that can't get... remade... At least now that you and Grid dealt with 'em. Just give me a second to catch my breath and I'll be... set..."

"Kokoro, you loving idiot."

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo


Sephilia Lampbright

Sephilia eagerly high-fives Luc1na before turning to gape at the uncovered Kralman.

"Oh wow," she says in an awed tone. "He's...he's waaaaaay bigger than I expected."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!


Grid Nótt
+ Blood | - Sense

"Nope.", says Grid simply to Vivi, and then bounds after with little hesitation, trying to catch up with Kokoro's bounds and try and put herself inbetween the mega-giant and the picopico!

Let me know if there's a roll involved, and if so, what?

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at May 26, 2016 around 22:40

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.


Luc1na of the Raiding Rainbows

"That's what she said," Luc1na replies to Sephy, a poo poo-eating grin on her face. Then she glances at Kralman, considers, then gives a more serious answer. "A little above average for a colossus, not as a big as a titan wyrm - right, you haven't fought those either."

"Speaking of colossi - usually there's some kind of control stone for them. Sephy, can you and Vivi see if you can find it, in case Arduino's magic needs some help? I'm going to go help Grid pull Kokoro's bacon out of the fire." Her grin comes back. "Maybe I'll get to climb up the bastard after all!"

With that, she sprints off down the slope after Grid.

I figure between Grid and Luc1na one of us should be rolling Keep Them Busy and the other Overcome to help out Kokoro.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018


Yeah, let's go with Overcomefor Grid, Keep Them Busyfor Luc1na. Sorry for the delay!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!


Grid Nótt
+ Blood | - Sense

Rushing in, Grid flashes in front of Kokoro as if she may as well have teleported, holding out her palm as she prepares to receive the impact wordlessly.

Roll to Overcome is a 12!

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.




As unstoppable force meets immovable object, Luc1na comes charging down the hill at full speed, her bright blue hair streaming behind like a banner. She winks at Kawaii as she leaps over him, then springboards off Grid's stronger-than-they-appear shoulders. Flailing a bit with her free arm, she snags onto the massive Kalman and holds on tight, pulling herself up.

This is how you deal with a colossus - climb up them and find the weak spot! Luc1na slashes at a likely point, producing a clump of vegetation and a few sparks, then starts climbing to find another possibility.

Hoping I can take advantage of Parry! Counter! Thrust! to auto succeed on Keep Them Busy.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018




Kralman turns slowly, but even slowly is too fast. Kokoro draws his ire as his stony form keeps rising. The huge thing reaches down, its hand moving inexorable closer and closer to picking up and - inevitably - squashing Kokoro like a very loud bug. However, the party acts quickly. Grid gets in the ray, and her sheer power is able - momentarily - to stop the advance of Kralman's hand. Even her strength wouldn't be enough to do it for long, but she doesn't have to.

She only has to buy time for Luc1na, who scrambles up the stone man's body, climbing up the plant life that has grown over him. Her blade, powerful though it may be, is not enough to disable Kralman in the slightest...but with all the power it holds, it is enough for him to notice. The pressure on Grid lessens as the immense colossus starts to scour itself, hands slapping helplessly against his own form to find the tiny creature that has caused him pain. The distraction is enough.

Arduino finishes his chant, and the spores flow over Kralman. Before he can completely awaken, they move in to reinforce the magic that had kept him in slumber. With the slow but inevitable collapse of a giant tree, Kralman slams into the earth, crushing and destroying what was left of the hilltop and the tomb within that had once held him. The dust settles after a few moments, leaviny ou atop a much smaller hill now, between Grid's actions and Kralman's fall.

There, lying miraculously unharmed by Kralman's fall atop a small pile of rubble, is the reason you were here in the first place - the first of the keys to the Ultimate Summit's gate. You'll need two more before you can get inside. Fortunately, Luc1na remembers where they were last gathered.

Unfortunately, she also remembers that you're going to need more than that if you plan to reach the top and confront Khryos.

So, then, I have one job for you guys, to determine your plans now:
Tell me about a place that holds either a Key to the Summit or something that might be able to help you stand against the forces of Khryos.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!




Skipping down the hill, Grid skids to a halt, looking over. Taking a final swing, she wipes her lips, looking over, and corks it meaningfully. "Just a hill.", she says, before hanging the jug over her shoulder. A slight hiccup and she covers her lips daintly for a moment before looking to Vivi and then around, sighing. "I guess the party's over...", she concludes mournfully, and then brightens slightly as an idea lights her expression. "Oh! We could visit one of my sisters! I bet we could find a good party there!", she proclaims more confidently.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at Jun 8, 2016 around 00:16

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.




Luc1na rides the collossus down, hopping off as Kralman slams into the ground. She sheathes her sword with a flourish, a big grin on her face - and then she has a coughing fit from all the dust. "That-" more coughing "-didn't used to happen."

She walks over to the floating key, reaching out to grab it. There's a brief flash of light as it descends into her palm. The long silvery-white metal is twisted into an ornate shade, with a pyramidal top with a long piece of green and yellow silk tied to it. "Nice, we didn't get this one last time."

Luc1na holds it up and waves it so the others see. "We need three of these to get into the Summit. After everyone complained about the boss run to get into the Depths, the devs set it up so you need any three of five key shards to get into the Summit."

She tosses this one in her hand. "Last time the Rainbows got them off Santa Lizard, Bernie, and Murderface." Luc1na catches Sephy giving her the sideeye. "Uh, I mean, we defeated Saobanru of the Black Glacier, the great wyrm of the North for the first one. We got the second by rescuing the Metahistorian in the ruins of Kesh. And the third one we found on the High Executioner of Ur-Gama."

Luc1na thinks about it for a minute. "I can't remember who has the other one, we picked the three most straightforward quests."

  • Locked thread
«3 »