Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

"Santa Lizard? Murderface?" Sephilia grumbles. "You never take the lore seriously!" She sighs, though she does have to admit that Luc1na at least knows the proper names as well as the silly nicknames.

"We should also gear up," she adds. "If we just beeline for the keys we'll never win. We need firepower, and the best place to get that are in the Lost Halls of the Nisse. Trouble is they're...well, they're lost. The word was they were going to be added to the game as a dungeon at some point but were never actually implemented--some dataminers found a few models and zones that would only make sense, but nobody knew where the entrance was going to be."

Sephy glances over at Vivi, hopefully. "Unless you know something I don't?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

"Good job, kid." Was that halfhearted encouragement aimed at Arduino or at Grid? Does it really matter? After all, the shaman's magic and the oni's strength were both awfully impressive, and it's not like Vivi gives out particularly good praise anyway. This is most anyone could hope to get, to be honest.

"This party better be over. You've drunk enough as it... Did you just mention your sister?" Vivi blanched, ever so slightly. "That's, uh... I'm sure she's doing fine by herself. Let's just give her some space for now."

"*ahem* So. Nisse. It was supposed to be the first expansion dungeon. The good news is, that means the Fated Circle knows where it is, so I should be able to track it down once I make contact with a proper Circle cell and can search through their libraries. The bad news is... the Fated Circle knows where it is, and someone's going to tell Khryos about the Lost Halls sooner or later. I'm not saying we need to drop everything and find them first. I'm not even saying there's definitely something there Khryos would even want. I'm just saying the longer we wait the larger a head start he's going to get."

Also, on an OOC level, lost cities tend to not have a ton of communities to gain fellowship with.

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jun 10, 2016

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Grid frowns, and one can only imagine the scribbles radiating out from her head as she pouts. "You're in too much of a rush. You should celebrate your victory!" Wait, wasn't Grid already celebrating? Well, she was an NPC. Maybe she's still a bit limited in that regard. Folding her arms, she bows her head in thought as she resigns herself to the grim world she lives in where it's not a endless 24/7 cycle of partying and fighting. "Well, treasure can buy a lot of drink.", she admits, and then grins widely. Of course, on her, it looks a bit sinister. Blame her modeller. "So let's do that!"

Can she even use gear? That's not quite so clear yet.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The nearest Fated Circle cell would be in the noted port town of Lhyatt, the gateway to the Raven's Eye Sea, famous for its piracy. Of course, Lhyatt itself is famous for its...well, piracy. And criminal activity. Back when things were a game, Lhyatt was the place to be for quests from just about any of the criminal factions - including the Fated Circle. Of course, back in the game, the criminal element was also setting color. These days...well, it could be worse. Probably.

But the trip there's going to take a few days...

Okay! Travel time! Everyone gets to come up with an event that happens during the trip, and tap someone to solve or deal with that event. If the event leads to another combat, everyone does get to take part, it just counts as being solved by whoever got tapped. Everyone makes one event, everyone solves one event, and then I get to detail some goings-on.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

"I''ll hold onto this one, but it'd be best if no one is holding all of them, just in case." Luc1na says as she tucks the key into her belt. "Anyways, if we're going to make for Lhyatt, there's no point in walking or riding all that way, right?"

She walks over to the others, bringing out her map. The greenish crystal is wrapped in silver wire with yellowing paper charms. Luc1na presses on the circles carved into it, frowns when nothing happens, then grins when a bit of shaking activates it. A shadowy depiction of the surrounding area appears in the air in front of her. "Fortunately for you guys, I know a shortcut." She points to a diamond marker north of them.

"There's an airship tower here. The route doesn't go all the way to Lhyatt, but it will save us time - and sore feet!"

-------------------------

The tower is right where Luc1na said it would be, a spire of white stone and dark wood, with a roof of green tile. But the rest isn't quite as expected. Weeds are starting to grow up through the road, and the grass around the tower is tall and ragged.

There are three airships on the clearing. One, the largest, clearly crashed and partly burned some time ago, while another is half-disassembled. The third looks reasonably intact, but has clearly been neglected for some time, the canvas tarp half covering it pulled up at the edges and flapping in the wind.

"Uh," Luc1na says eloquently as she reins in her unicorn. "I mean, there are airships here. Right?" She looks at the ships, again then turns to her sister. "Se~phy help me out here," she says under her breath.

Tagging Sephy to deal with a lack of transport!

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jun 27, 2016

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

"The question is, is this thing going to fly?" Sephilia pulls out her wrench and grins. "Trust me, I'll have this ship back in shape in no time flat!"

A few minutes of examination later, Sephilia exclaims, "It's a prototype--this is awesome! I just need to figure out how to get it running again, and the Lady Sephilia's Grace will be underway! Luc1na, see if you can find some paint so we can rechristen her, will you?"

Sephy spends a little while tooling around, then sighs. "I'll have to take some parts out of the Guzzler, I think, basically decommission the poor girl till I can get a chance to re-tool some spares, but I can get this baby running. The Lady Sephilia's Grace, we'll call her! Um...by the way, does someone want to see about dealing with whatever it is kicking up that dust over there?" She points, and sure enough there's a dust cloud rising, coming up the road. Fast. Towards the group.

Tagging, I dunno, let's say Grid to deal with the oncoming scavengers!

MollyMetroid fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jun 28, 2016

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Luc1na looks around when called on, as if there's another Luc1na around somewhere that Sephy might be talking to. Then, with a sigh, she trudges off to find some paint, grumbling under her breath as she goes.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Comrade Gorbash posted:

"There's an airship tower here. The route doesn't go all the way to Lhyatt, but it will save us time - and sore feet!"

"Psshh. Sore feet. Cute." Vivi drifts past, draped luxuriously over her broomstick, looking for all the world like a pile of tattered drapes someone left out to dry. Drapes that have one pale arm hanging out, flicking at passing blades of grass.

---------------------------------------------

Vivi paces around camp, clutching a sheaf of notes to her chest. This is bad. This is, in fact, potentially disastrous. And there's nothing she can do about it. Not in her state. So, they're ruined. They're just... Wait. There's technically no reason that she has to be the one to handle this. In fact, she knows just the man for the job...

"Hey! Arduino! Get your tail over here, we need to talk!"

"So. This is our flight path." Vivi traces a line through the area map. "And this is the path of the Storm of Sages." She traces another line. "And here is where we're going to run straight into it. Which is a problem." The map flickers off as Vivi begins gesturing at her notes. "Now, the Storm of Sages is a vengeance-bound enchantment, if a massive one, and that means there's a way to get through it. In this case, any vessel that bears the sigil of House Artrexis may pass through unscathed. Me? I can't make the sigil properly. Not while I'm unattuned from the local ley lines. Now, you... You have magic to spare. You can make it."

Vivi leans in close and shoves the notes into Arduino's hands, a sly grin on her face..

"You will make it. I'll make sure of it."

Tagging Arduino, if that wasn't clear.

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jun 28, 2016

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

As the cloud rises and the causation comes closer, a boulder rises up, slamming down into the ground. It's the sort of suspiciously round rock that only really occurs in videogame assets and classic animation. Taking one foot forward, Grid shoves it lightly, getting it to start rolling before springing atop it and starting to run atop it, practically dancing as she and it smash into the scavengers, a collision that raises the dust higher.

There seems to be a lot of particulate matter in the air whenever she gets involved.

Dealing the scavengers is light work once they realize the boulder's kicked at them after that, Grid laughing all the while. Well, at least she isn't bored anymore.

There are some drops, of course, coin, some trash loot - and a page of what looks like orders in code. That is, code like a programmer would give, not a spy. Of course, there's no difference to Grid, and she thrusts the scroll at Vivi wordlessly. Did somebody tip the thugs off? Or were the scavengers somehow manipulated? In either way, they should probably get on the move.

Tagging Vivi to get some answers!

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

"Wha? What's this supposed to be?" Vivi takes the scroll shoved into her hands and... huh. This is actually interesting. Very interesting...

So. I'm floundering here for a lot of reasons, one of which may be that this prompt feels less like a problem to solve and more just a hook for more information. So, I'm just going to say this and hope basically anyone gives me some kind of further prompt or explicit approval to make something up and have it count for something.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Feel free to make up a story for us and have it count.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I'll be taking over this bit for Lurks; let's see if we can grab this and force it back on track...!

Kawaii Kokoro

Kawaii snatches the scroll instead!

"Shiiiiiit. Check this - it's written in Nurbegorg. Remember them? They only show up for one of the holiday events, and you can learn their language as an extra side skill. Most don't because, well, it's mostly useless - but luckily you got the master of all side skills here with you. Hmm hm hmmm....let's...oh! Well, I got good news and bad news. And sad news. Sad news, is, sounds like the Nurbegorg have gone a bit...feral, what with all this weird poo poo. Good news is, they're located not too far from here. Sounds like the scavangers have been looting airship parts for them for...who knows why. Anyways, chances are, they have some extremely important stuff that we could probably use to help repair these airships, maybe even make them stronger. Bad news is, they're not going to take kindly to us, and they're going to be a bit tougher then those scavangers - and also, I'll be honest, I've always had a soft spot for the Nurbegorg."

He looks around a bit, before settling his eyes on Arduino.

"...Ohhhh. But, if we remember our lore, they're very gracious to guests, love giving gifts, and they're allied with...?"

He waits for the most irritating amount of time - enough to make Sephilia want to respond, only to answer his own question right before she can.

"That's right, beastkin. Arduino, how do you feel about playing diplomat and helping us get some of those supplies?"

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

Kawaii's delay is, in fact, lost on Sephilia, who is busy disassembling her loyal Guzzler to repair the airship.

"Hey, how's it coming with that paint?" she calls from in the innards of the ship. "We need to get the new name painted on ASAP!"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Luc1na staggers back into view at about that point, carrying a couple of cans of paint. She's also covered in black ichor, has several new scratches on her armor and her person, and just generally looks a mess. She walks over to Sephilia and drops everything at the Nisse's feet.

"Next time, you're getting your own paint," Luc1na tells her sister in world-weary tones. She reaches up and rakes some spines and antennae out her hair, and then works a mandible out of where it got caught on her gear.

Sounding a bit more lively, she asks, "So, what are you naming it?"

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

"Ew. I was thinking, Lady Sephilia's Grace".

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

"Wait, you're really naming it after yourself?" Luc1na grins. "The SS Sephy-Seph, playing the skies! Oh, and Grace - is that someone you're sweet on?" Clearly, passing up a chance to tease Sephilia is not in the cards.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

"I'm graceful! I'm totally graceful!" Sephilia pouts, stamping one foot. "B-besides--you know I like boys." The Nisse blushes.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

"Suuure you're graceful," Luci1na puts an arm around Sephy's shoulders. "Actually, it's perfect now that you say that - you do have all the grace of thirty-odd feet of lumber."

"As for the other thing, well, there's not accounting for taste."

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

"Oooooh you're so mean!" Sephy complains, pouting theatrically.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

Arduino looks over at Kawaii with a look of horror on his face. ""Play nice with those Keebler knockoffs? The last time their delegation visited us, we got showered in useless kitsch, and the devs thought it would be ~funny~," he pauses to sigh deeply "to make their event loot automatically override the look of any equipped armor. It's hard to feel immersed in the fiction of a raid boss when a quarter of the group is wearing neon sweaters and wielding weapons that look like holiday ornaments! Even poor Moonbeam had a candy cane horn for a week. I'll do it, but if they come at me with an 'antler cozy', I am not responsible for my actions."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Grid looks up, smoothing out her skirts. "Couldn't we just destroy them and take their loot?", she asks almost innocently of the others, eyes wide. "What makes them any different from other foes that you have faced? If they have something we want, we should take it. And-" Her demeanor literally darkens a bit as her eyes glow red. "- nobody dresses me funny."

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

"Don't worry, Grid, your fashion sense has always been impeccable."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Luc1na nods in agreement. "When Sephy's right, rare as that is, she's right." Luc1na apparently isn't done needling over the paint getting errand. "I've always appreciated your look." The last comes out a bit awkwardly for some reason, and she hurries on. "But um, the Nurbegorg are pretty harmless but have dangerous friends. They're also good at hiding, so attacking them would probably be more trouble than its worth." Sephy knows Luc1na didn't learn this from lore - she and her entire guild learned it the hard way during the event.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

So, solid question here: do you guys want to end the journey visiting the Nurbegorg, have that be the community you guys show up at?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Sounds fine to me.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

I'm good with that to move on.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Good by me

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Meanwhile, Khyros has sent out his forces to hunt for clues as to the location of the Lost Halls of the Nisse. Shadowy figured are meeting in the alleys of the tree-city of Vindarva. The Fated Circle are beginning to make their bargains. It will only be a matter of time before their terms are acceptable. Then, when those terms are met, Khryos will be given the location of the Lost Halls. This cannot possibly end well...but at least it means that Khyros' servants are currently busy making deals. On the other hand, it means the Fated Circle will soon begin enacting some of their plans with his backing...

Nurbegorg Village

The gigantic pine trees of the World's Teeth are some of the only plants that grow there - but grow they do, said to be as tall as the mountains they grow on. It's one of the reasons the game gave that the Nurbegorg were only available in winter, when the snow piled high enough to reach their lands, as they had no fast travel points. An airship, however, can make its dock in the trees easily - now that it's not limited by the game's airship docks, anyway. The little creatures are busily carting around the massive present-boxes that were their trademark, as the pinedeer play in the snowy branches. As the arship docks, several of the tiny Nurbegorg hurry over.

They are all very humanoid, though with a few strange features - sort of like if Keebler elves crossbred with chipmunks. They cheer as the airship docks. Their voices are just as high-pitched and squeaky as you remember. One of them, wearing a tall red hat, hops forward.

"Welcome, travellers! Welcome to Nurbegorg Village, where all friends of the Wintersmith are friends of the Nurbegorg, and all enemies of cheer and good tidings are unwelcome! Come in, come in and share some sugarsticks and sweetnog!"

If they've gone feral, they haven't lost their saccharine patter, at least. But then, the trouble with the Nurbegorg has never been that they're unfriendly.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

"I'm just staying here. On the ship. Some...maintenance to do." Sephilia's obviously not that happy about being here, of all places. You'd think she'd approve of cuteness...

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

"Oh?", Grid says, clasping her hands. "Are you having a party? How strong is this... sweetnog?", she asks with hope in her balefully radiant eyes. "Can I see where it's distilled?"

These are probably in-game elements that were never meant to collide.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Luc1na rolls her eyes at Sephy and takes her by the arm, practically dragging her along. "Come on, you're not staying cooped up on this ship! It's just some dumb game event, anyways. And you're gonna be the best at picking out what we need for supplies, which means we can get out of here quicker."

"Besides, they might have some proper gifts for you."

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

Sephilia groans. "C'mooooon, you know I hate this holiday." She pouts, and sighs, and lets her sister drag her out.

"Do you really think they'll have presents? This isn't going to be some corny holiday special, Luce. It's just going to be another dumb reminder. Doesn't even fit the lore."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Luc1na puts her arm around Sephy and gives her shoulders a squeeze. "I know, but you're forgetting something. Everything in this world knows you're Sephy, and that's how they're going to handle things, right? Give it chance. Besides, I'm going to need your help to get through this myself." She looks around the decor, which bears more than a passing resemblance to cake decorations in many places. "I might go into a sugar coma just from being here."

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

Sephy gives her sister a big hug, and her eyes are moist with tears as she lets go.

"All right, I'll come along." She smiles at Luc1na, despite the tears.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Kawaii hasn't said anything because he's been too busy feasting.

"So hey yo uh, just a quick reminder, diabetes was never programmed in the game, so that means far as I can tell it doesn't exist here. So eat up. Hey, keebler, pass me the sweetnog! Hey, it's cool, I totally did the grind for their reputation even before the rewards beyond the santa hat were programmed in, we're besties!"

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Hopefully Kawaii is right, because everything in town is sugary as hell. Sweetnog is also alcoholic, but above all, it is sweet. The food is practically pure candy. The Nurbegorg are generous with it, too - candy canes, cookies, sugar-laden pies, gingerbread. There's not an ounce of meat anywhere in the village, though.

The leader of the Nurbegorg village appears to be a long-bearded, bushy-eared elder, but he carefully avoids using the large wooden throne in their feasting hall - far too large for any of the Nurbegorg to use. He bows deeply.

"It is our pleasure to welcome you to our village! Unfortunately, our customary hospitality is impossible right now. We would normally shower you in gifts and offer you an audience with the Wintersmith's envoy, but..." His face falls for a moment. "...well, unfortunately, the envoys have all vanished higher up the mountain. We're not sure why, but it was done by a group of adventurers. We offered them our hospitality, and they convinced the Envoy to take them up into the mountains...but they never came back, and when we went to go visit the envoys to learn the will of the Wintersmith, and...well, they were all missing. We haven't been able to gain the gifts of the Winterforge since, so we couldn't prepare them for you."

Then he's back to all smiles. "I hope that doesn't anger you, honored guests! We will prepare as much sweetnog for you as you like instead!"

The Envoys of the Wintersmith, better known to the playerbase as the Ice Giants of the World's Spine, have always been the guardians of the Nurbegorg in these events.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Luc1na's words to her sister were not as hyperbolic as they might have sounded. She partakes of all the sweets - and especially the nog - with enthusiasm. But even her sweet tooth is flagging as the meal goes on. She's looking a little gray when another course of pastries is wheeled out. The mention of the envoys revives her a bit, though. "The Ice Giants! I used to have pretty good rep with them. Pain in the rear end to get it too - they only had those three dailies, over and over. Anyways, I bet if we went up there I could get us in to talk to their Jarl and sort out whatever's going on."

She turns to the Nurbegorg elder. "Speaking of which - did you catch the names of the party that went up there earlier, buddy?"

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Grid is munching down on food like somebody with a bottomless stomach, which is probably the case. On the other hand, it's probably slowing the rate from here to drunk to have her stuff her face, so that's an upside, at least.

At the talk of ice giants, she comes up for air, though, looking over to Luc1na. There's a moment where she seems puzzled, trying to parse out Luc1na's arcane tongue, and then looks to the bushy-bearded Nurbegorg. "So if we go up there and have a big party and kick out whatever's bothering the giants, they'll give us presents?", she muses. "Those giants think they're such big deals because they're big. But if they're giving away stuff, I just miiight forgive them for it." And down goes the sweetnog.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The Nurbegorg leader pauses, looking a bit confused. "Names..." He taps his chin. "...names..."

The Nurbegorg have never been great with those.

"I remember their leader was...Dalen? Dalen. And there were five of them. Dalen was the leader and he was a knight. And...the other four were...I believe their names were Darkblade Ecks Ecks, Steven, Shantal and Morepork."

Of these, three names are familiar. Which ones, and why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Grid actually gets a thoughtful look for a moment at the sound of those names. It's slightly surreal on her model.

"Let's go after them!", she finally concludes, rising slightly, and then falls back with a shrug. "... once I'm done drinking, anyway!"

• Locked thread