Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Luc1na of the Raiding Rainbows

Luc1na follows along after Sephilia, the First Sword in her hand, looking remarkably unconcerned for someone in the middle of a raging inferno cum hobgoblin riot. "You threw a giant switch on some kind of ancient clock thing we didn't know anything about. The fact that it only caught on fire is kind of a surprise to me."

She takes a moment to shove a hobgoblin that rushes up towards them into one of its fellows, sending both tumbling over a ledge and out of view.

"On the plus side, looks like we're finally going to have a real fight!" Luc1na's wolfish grin is even more off-putting than usual, with the dance of light and shadow from the fires.

"I haven't gotten to take on a Colossus in forever! Not since they nerfed Titan armor and we stopped running the Monoliths. Hey Sephy-Seph, Kralman's the broken Colossus, right? The one that got blown up while it was marching towards the Dromon Wall by that wizard lady with the funny hair." She tries to remember the name, but gives it up after a second. "Anyways he should be easy to out maneuver. Regular Colossi are slow. Oh, but is he going to be harder to scale? That could be annoying."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Luc1na splits off a moment to barrel into a group of hobgoblins trying to get themselves organized to come after the party. A few swipes of the First Sword makes it very clear this is a really bad idea. Then she sees that Sephy's gotten Grid moving and hurries to catch up. "Now that's the kind of attitude I can get on board with!"

She shies away half a step when she gets closer. "What the hell have you been drinking? Jet fuel?" Luc1na shrugs at Vivi. "Yeah yeah, it's big and scary. Look, between you and Sephy-seph I'm sure you can explain where it's weak point is! I mean, you two keep acting like this is some huge disaster. We stumble over giant monsters all the time, what's the big deal?" Luc1na glances up at Grid. "Uh, no offense."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Luc1na accepts the jug from Grid, having a bit of an issue initially balancing it with the sword in other hand. After a moment she figures it out and takes a long draw from it. "Wow!" Her voice is more than a little hoarse. "That is rocket fuel!" Luc1na passes it back to Grid, shaking her head and blinking from the strength of the stuff.

"That's what Kawaii's saying, draw him off somewhere we don't have to deal with him. I think. Right?"

Drunk: Sense, Vigor: Blood for this scene.
By the way, how big is Grid exactly?

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 15, 2016

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Luc1na watches Kralman begin to rise, head tilted back. For a moment, she bears her teeth into something halfway between a smile and a snarl, her hand tight on the grip of the First Sword. But then she glances around at the others. "That would be one hell of a fight, but you've all been talking about this as a lore thing." She sighs. "I guess I better leave it to you."

She salutes Kralman with the blade. "Next time, big guy"

Then Luc1na's off to help Grid deal with those goblins, rushing into a cluster of them with a shout, the dark blade of the First Sword lashing out with speed and power as she piles into them. She wields the heavy blade of meteoric iron with practiced ease, and for the moment presses her foes hard. But the goblins are numerous, and Luc1na's head on attack is sure to draw a counter before too long.

Keep Them Busy [+Courage]: 2d6 8
I can keep them busy for a short time, but then they're going to retaliate. However, I do create Advantage, so someone else should use that!

Also, since my weapon is supposed to have a long and storied past, here's the origin:

The First Sword posted:

The First Sword. There are finer blades, and more famous swords, but no weapon has more history. Long eons ago, at the end of the Dawn Age, the world was in chaos. The Titans had fallen, and with them the Eternal Empire. Amid the ruins, the tribes of the Anth and the Jaan struggled for survival. Pressed from all sides by fearsome enemies, they sought some sign of hope.

It came from the sky itself. A streak of fire across the darkness, a fallen star that shattered the earth beneath it. In the crater, they found it. A length of dark metal, impossibly hard. Cold to the touch, though it had descended in flame. The tribe looked on it with wonder, but soon grew disdainful. What good was this strange bar?

One thought different. She took it, and with incredible difficulty put an edge to it, made a hilt. And when the monsters came again, she was ready. The blade cut through armor and flesh like lighting, and none could stand before her. In time she forged another first, an Anth Kingdom.

And thus began the Age of the Sword.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Apr 26, 2016

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Luc1na cuts down a fleeing hobgoblin that strays too close, then looks around at the devastation. "Now that's how its done! Nice work, Grid!" She holds up a hand to high-five Sephilia. "You okay over there, Vivi?"

She doesn't sheathe the First Sword yet, though. That colossus still has to be dealt with.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

"That's what she said," Luc1na replies to Sephy, a poo poo-eating grin on her face. Then she glances at Kralman, considers, then gives a more serious answer. "A little above average for a colossus, not as a big as a titan wyrm - right, you haven't fought those either."

"Speaking of colossi - usually there's some kind of control stone for them. Sephy, can you and Vivi see if you can find it, in case Arduino's magic needs some help? I'm going to go help Grid pull Kokoro's bacon out of the fire." Her grin comes back. "Maybe I'll get to climb up the bastard after all!"

With that, she sprints off down the slope after Grid.

I figure between Grid and Luc1na one of us should be rolling Keep Them Busy and the other Overcome to help out Kokoro.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

As unstoppable force meets immovable object, Luc1na comes charging down the hill at full speed, her bright blue hair streaming behind like a banner. She winks at Kawaii as she leaps over him, then springboards off Grid's stronger-than-they-appear shoulders. Flailing a bit with her free arm, she snags onto the massive Kalman and holds on tight, pulling herself up.

This is how you deal with a colossus - climb up them and find the weak spot! Luc1na slashes at a likely point, producing a clump of vegetation and a few sparks, then starts climbing to find another possibility.

Hoping I can take advantage of Parry! Counter! Thrust! to auto succeed on Keep Them Busy.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Luc1na rides the collossus down, hopping off as Kralman slams into the ground. She sheathes her sword with a flourish, a big grin on her face - and then she has a coughing fit from all the dust. "That-" more coughing "-didn't used to happen."

She walks over to the floating key, reaching out to grab it. There's a brief flash of light as it descends into her palm. The long silvery-white metal is twisted into an ornate shade, with a pyramidal top with a long piece of green and yellow silk tied to it. "Nice, we didn't get this one last time."

Luc1na holds it up and waves it so the others see. "We need three of these to get into the Summit. After everyone complained about the boss run to get into the Depths, the devs set it up so you need any three of five key shards to get into the Summit."

She tosses this one in her hand. "Last time the Rainbows got them off Santa Lizard, Bernie, and Murderface." Luc1na catches Sephy giving her the sideeye. "Uh, I mean, we defeated Saobanru of the Black Glacier, the great wyrm of the North for the first one. We got the second by rescuing the Metahistorian in the ruins of Kesh. And the third one we found on the High Executioner of Ur-Gama."

Luc1na thinks about it for a minute. "I can't remember who has the other one, we picked the three most straightforward quests."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

"I''ll hold onto this one, but it'd be best if no one is holding all of them, just in case." Luc1na says as she tucks the key into her belt. "Anyways, if we're going to make for Lhyatt, there's no point in walking or riding all that way, right?"

She walks over to the others, bringing out her map. The greenish crystal is wrapped in silver wire with yellowing paper charms. Luc1na presses on the circles carved into it, frowns when nothing happens, then grins when a bit of shaking activates it. A shadowy depiction of the surrounding area appears in the air in front of her. "Fortunately for you guys, I know a shortcut." She points to a diamond marker north of them.

"There's an airship tower here. The route doesn't go all the way to Lhyatt, but it will save us time - and sore feet!"

-------------------------

The tower is right where Luc1na said it would be, a spire of white stone and dark wood, with a roof of green tile. But the rest isn't quite as expected. Weeds are starting to grow up through the road, and the grass around the tower is tall and ragged.

There are three airships on the clearing. One, the largest, clearly crashed and partly burned some time ago, while another is half-disassembled. The third looks reasonably intact, but has clearly been neglected for some time, the canvas tarp half covering it pulled up at the edges and flapping in the wind.

"Uh," Luc1na says eloquently as she reins in her unicorn. "I mean, there are airships here. Right?" She looks at the ships, again then turns to her sister. "Se~phy help me out here," she says under her breath.

Tagging Sephy to deal with a lack of transport!

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jun 27, 2016

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Luc1na looks around when called on, as if there's another Luc1na around somewhere that Sephy might be talking to. Then, with a sigh, she trudges off to find some paint, grumbling under her breath as she goes.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Luc1na staggers back into view at about that point, carrying a couple of cans of paint. She's also covered in black ichor, has several new scratches on her armor and her person, and just generally looks a mess. She walks over to Sephilia and drops everything at the Nisse's feet.

"Next time, you're getting your own paint," Luc1na tells her sister in world-weary tones. She reaches up and rakes some spines and antennae out her hair, and then works a mandible out of where it got caught on her gear.

Sounding a bit more lively, she asks, "So, what are you naming it?"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

"Wait, you're really naming it after yourself?" Luc1na grins. "The SS Sephy-Seph, playing the skies! Oh, and Grace - is that someone you're sweet on?" Clearly, passing up a chance to tease Sephilia is not in the cards.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

"Suuure you're graceful," Luci1na puts an arm around Sephy's shoulders. "Actually, it's perfect now that you say that - you do have all the grace of thirty-odd feet of lumber."

"As for the other thing, well, there's not accounting for taste."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Luc1na nods in agreement. "When Sephy's right, rare as that is, she's right." Luc1na apparently isn't done needling over the paint getting errand. "I've always appreciated your look." The last comes out a bit awkwardly for some reason, and she hurries on. "But um, the Nurbegorg are pretty harmless but have dangerous friends. They're also good at hiding, so attacking them would probably be more trouble than its worth." Sephy knows Luc1na didn't learn this from lore - she and her entire guild learned it the hard way during the event.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

I'm good with that to move on.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Luc1na rolls her eyes at Sephy and takes her by the arm, practically dragging her along. "Come on, you're not staying cooped up on this ship! It's just some dumb game event, anyways. And you're gonna be the best at picking out what we need for supplies, which means we can get out of here quicker."

"Besides, they might have some proper gifts for you."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Luc1na puts her arm around Sephy and gives her shoulders a squeeze. "I know, but you're forgetting something. Everything in this world knows you're Sephy, and that's how they're going to handle things, right? Give it chance. Besides, I'm going to need your help to get through this myself." She looks around the decor, which bears more than a passing resemblance to cake decorations in many places. "I might go into a sugar coma just from being here."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Luc1na's words to her sister were not as hyperbolic as they might have sounded. She partakes of all the sweets - and especially the nog - with enthusiasm. But even her sweet tooth is flagging as the meal goes on. She's looking a little gray when another course of pastries is wheeled out. The mention of the envoys revives her a bit, though. "The Ice Giants! I used to have pretty good rep with them. Pain in the rear end to get it too - they only had those three dailies, over and over. Anyways, I bet if we went up there I could get us in to talk to their Jarl and sort out whatever's going on."

She turns to the Nurbegorg elder. "Speaking of which - did you catch the names of the party that went up there earlier, buddy?"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Luc1na pops a cake pop in her mouth, though her expression suggests even she's done with sugary stuff for a while. "Oh yeah, didn't he have like a chart? Or a timeline. It was pretty slick." She notices Sephy's tail bristling and changes the subject, quickly.

"Anyways, if its the same Morepork, I know the guy. He's with De Chelonian Mobile, in the Regiment subguild. They're solid raiders, and they were into the lore - sort of? They were always on about a bunch of weird RP stuff, though it didn't sound exactly like the - uh, stuff - Sephy talked about."

"I'm surprised he came up here though. Morepork did a lot of administrative stuff for them, and ran their war room - you know, the army minigame. He wasn't bad in regular stuff. Musketeer class, the close combat bayonet build. But it seems kind of a waste for him to be way out here in the middle of nowhere?"

She glances at the Nurbegorg leader. "Uh, no offense."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Luc1na leans back and looks up, frowning. "Well, maybe you can throw one of us and they can lower a rope?"

"Or - there's a lot of snow up there." She pulls out her rifle. "I could maybe get some of it to fall and make a ramp."

These are probably not great ideas either.

• Locked thread